6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by bretthalsey
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5155 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2403 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    img_2297 (resized).jpg
    img_2534 (resized).jpg
    img_2295 (resized).jpg
    img_2406 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1894 (resized).JPG
    DSCF3113 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2509_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2508_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2194_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2571_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2572_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merfeldma.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

With the goal of completing some restorations this summer the one thing that my games have been lacking is a completely redone backbox. After researching stencil kits which are one time use only and time consuming with variable results I decided to go all out and silk screen.

The artwork was scanned in and vectored to match the original exactly in Illustrator. I decided to separate the larger Warning from the small Patent portions for a few reasons. When the two are combined on a larger screen the rails on the back need to be removed and the larger portion would need to be completely blocked off. With the two separate ones cleaning is much easier and no blocking of the screens is necessary.

My two sample test screens were completed this week and with the assistance of Bryan Kelly he was able to give me his critiques and tested them out, with pictures to follow.

Since I know some people have the larger screen I will be offering the small Patent screen available separately for those interested. The silkscreens are stretched over an aluminum frame that will never warp or lose tension, which can happen with a wooden frame. With proper cleaning after each screening these should last indefinitely.

For those interested, you can send payment to my paypal account at matt.merfeld@gmail.com. Be sure to include what items you want, along with your address, and pinside account name so I can mark you down.

Warning and Patent Screens $250 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Warning Screen only $200 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Patent Screen only $80 + $10 shipping/handling US
    Two squeegees for screens $50

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from devlman:

Bump for a great idea. Sending PM.

You're first on the list

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

Man, I don't restore games, but since I have close to 20 pins, I know that this will be something that I need someday. Put me down for a set! And someone please upload a YouTube video on the process
    -Brian

I'll see about getting a video of the process.

#14 6 years ago

We've reached 10, if nobody minds I'll keep it open for a week so everyone has a chance before I get the screens ordered.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm interested in the patent screen
    Scott

Scott, you're added to the list

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

yea, I'm a little confused. Grover did these a while back and I bought one. Is this a duplication of effort or just a rerun of what the artwork he did. I know Brian Kelly had posted similar comments about that screen set so I'm a bit confused. Is merfeldma Grover?
    Jaz

This isn't a copy of Grover's print that he did. This was completely new and involved many many hours of vectoring the art to match with original WPC back boxes. Brian's comments were in reference to my new screens.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Are you planning in selling the ink or squeegee with the set? I bought the ink from nazdar directly but I can't seem to find the squeegee.

If enough people would be interested I could see about getting squeegees included with the set once I find out what it would cost.

#51 6 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

The patent text on my games is about 3" from chock to edge of text.
    I assume the screen being offered here will be tight enough to allow for proper placement.

The Patent text is placed so you can use the rail as a stop and it will be placed in just the right spot.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

He'll be alright, he drives a butt ugly Aztec. If that has not killed him nothing will.

I'll just say that the Aztec is proven to be the best pinball hauler around. Plus with the built in cooler there's plenty of cold beverages for long road trips.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Looks like Matt wants to play movie maker. We'll do a video next weekend showing how things are done. I don't have a head to screen, but I'll find something we can slap the warning text on.

With Bryan starring the movie will be rated NC-17, Parental Guidance suggested.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Well since we are on the subject a system 11 silkscreen would be nice to have as well

I'm already getting started on that. More details to follow.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

anyone make these for the new Stern games?

If there's enough demand I could make them.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

I was going to volunteer my Funhouse b/c the head is off and it's empty in my garage but I had a different warning label on mine. Not sure why. But I could sand off the back and put a fresh coat of blue on for you to screen and drop it off at Matt's house.

Let me know, I'd be glad to do it for you.

#84 6 years ago

For those interested I can include the two squeegees for an additional $50

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gannicus:

WOW...
    That's kind of insane, especially considering the text is horribly out of alignment.

The text isn't out of alignment, that is caused from distortion of the camera lens. Bryan can attest that the screens match up with the original text spot on.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

without taking the time to research it myself, is that a mark up or a deal?

That's with no markup buying directly from my printer. I am only offering since some people have asked but am not trying to profit off of the squeegees.

#90 6 years ago

The tutorial video will be shot this weekend. Hopefully the editing won't take long. Once it's finished I'll link to the video on youtube.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

How tall is the patent screen?

They are on a 9" x 11" aluminum frame.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

We might have enough space if we put her and her sister together.

I'm just going to say I'm glad she doesn't check Pinside.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's actually 12" high, Matt. I've got it right here in my grubby little hands.

My bad, you're right

#101 6 years ago

If anyone else is interested in ordering a set of screens let me know. I'm going to be placing the order with the screen printer Monday and need to get a final number.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

See Matt, I'm not the only one who thinks you're a gb.

My wife agrees. BTW, the screen print turned out really nice on her back today.

#110 6 years ago

Not the best photo, but here is a shot of the screening Bryan did on jathomp22 FH head he donated for us to work with today. Video soon to follow of the complete tutorial. Special thanks to Bryan for taking time out of his morning and my friend James for driving an hour and filming everything.

screen.jpg

#111 6 years ago

Sunday bump, I'll be giving the final number to the printer tomorrow so I can get screens out soon to everyone who has paid. This will be the last day to get a screen if you want one from this batch. If I get enough PM messages in the future I may get more made, but this is your best shot if you need one.

#113 6 years ago

Wondering if there are any more people interested in Australia? Seems shipping is insanely high so perhaps a few would want to get together to split the shipping costs.

#114 6 years ago

If you still want to jump in send payment in by 4PM Central time Monday before I head to the printer.

#117 6 years ago

Still a few more hours for anyone interested.

#118 6 years ago

Tutorial video has been posted http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-backbox-warning-screen-printing-tutorial-with-bryan-kelly#post-916117

I'll be working on a System 11 screen this weekend. PM if you would like more info when I'm finished.

1 week later
    #119 6 years ago

Many of the orders for the screens shipped out Monday. I anticipate getting many more out this weekend in the order they were paid for. Once I ship your orders you will receive an email from Paypal with the tracking information. Good luck printing to all those who ordered, if you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try to guide you through it.

2 weeks later
    #129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I had looked a while back when I was getting ready to order. I never did end up ordering yet so I'm wondering what other people think.
    The 59-234 was 3x the price of the 59-134 so I'm curious to know whether anyone tried the lower cost stuff...

The medium yellow that artdoggie has is a perfect match. The numbers are just slightly off for the part number, but it's the same color as before. Bryan Kelly and I are both using the newer part number.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from ABT12:

Received the set of screens today. Great job Matt!

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I spent a lot of hours staring at a computer screen to make sure I got the image as perfect as possible. I know how anal some of these pinball guys can get.

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Just received mine today,They look fantastic. Top notch work Matt.

Glad you're satisfied with the screens

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

One thing that I have found necessary to succeed with these is a bit of space between the cab and screen. I put sticky felt squares in the corners and it keep the screen sharp that way.
    Scott

Taping nickels to the back of the frames will give the perfect spacing.

2 weeks later
    #143 6 years ago

I've got four last sets of screens available if anyone wants them along with 2 System 11 screens.

2 weeks later
    #144 6 years ago

Three more sets available, PM me if interested.

4 weeks later
    #146 6 years ago

Two more WPC sets left and one last System 11 silk screen

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

What thread count silk do you use for these?

For enamel inks, I find that 230 thread count works best.

#149 6 years ago

I'm stopping by my printer later this week. If anyone would like a set of screens (WPC or Sys 11) send me a PM and I get get more ordered.

#151 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Hey Matt, will any thinner work or do you need to order Nazdar thinner? Thanks.

Any paint thinner should work. Just remember to add it in small amounts. You can allows add more to thin it down right, but it's near impossible to thicken it back up. Please post pics on the thread, I'd love to see the results.

1 month later
    #152 6 years ago

Anyone following the Bryan Kelly IJ restoration may have noticed Bryan uses these screens to restore. I have a few sets in stock right now if anyone would like a set. I also have some System 11 screens available as well.

1 month later
    #155 6 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

Any idea where I can get the ink in the uk? Tried acrylic but it dried to faint

If you can't find the Nazdar, any yellow enamel ink should be a close match. I don't think any of us would notice if the yellow text was off slightly.

3 weeks later
    #157 6 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Used the patent for the first time today - works great.

IMG_4604.JPG 127 KB

Looks great!!!

#158 6 years ago

A few people have asked me to repost the tutorial video so they didn't have to search through the post.

Thanks again to Bryan for letting us film you use the screens. If anyone missed out on the initial run I have a few left.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just for the record, this cabinet was prepped and painted by a buddy of Matts. Not me!!

I'm not sure if you made that clear in the video or not.

1 month later
    #164 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Just finished watching this great video . Thanks guys, I will have a much higher confidence level doing my heads.

Jan 2014 106.jpg 97 KB

That's a glossy cabinet. Please post photos of the cabinet after the Warning has been put on, I really want to see it.

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

What about backbox warning text for system11's of the Taxi era? I could use one of those screens!
    -Jim

Jim,

I've got System 11 screens as well. Send me a PM and I can send you details.

2 weeks later
    #177 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

ToM

General Pinball 024.jpg 300 KB

General Pinball 019.jpg 320 KB

Quick question, did you clear the cabinet to get that gloss or is that just from a gloss black paint?

1 month later
    #180 5 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Is it too late for a set?

No about a month ago I had a few more if each made after I had sold my personal set to a friend.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

You got friends???

You got friends???

Mainly just some people who come over drink my beer and make fun of my nice bright led games.

3 weeks later
    #184 5 years ago

Just finished 10 more screens if anyone is looking for a set. Also have some System 11 left as well.

1 week later
    #188 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Here is the finished product using one of Merfeldma's screens. They're awesome!

Mac622 - that is probably one of the best looking Whirlwind cabinets that exists. You did a great job of getting a smooth surface.

3 weeks later
    #192 5 years ago

Andy (Ringmaster), great job on the back box and thanks for posting the pictures. For anyone interested, I've got a few sets left if anyone was interested. Email me at matt.merfeld@gmail.com.

1 week later
    #194 5 years ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

made my AFM Backbox. To print was easy, but the cleaning was pure hate Took me more than 1.5 hrs,1liter of thinner and 3 rolls of paper towels But the silkcreen is awesome!

Whoa, that did take a while to clean. I usually can get it done in a few minutes, but I'm not so concerned with the ink near the edge of the screen, just the text area. Good job on the screening, looks nice and crisp.

#198 5 years ago

PMs replied to, I still have 8 sets left in case anyone is interested.

#199 5 years ago

Needed to order some more squeegee so if anyone still needs a set or wants a set of screens let me know.

1 month later
    #200 5 years ago

Down to a few last sets right now

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Were these screened onto the back of System 11 games (specifically Taxi?) If so I'd love to buy a set.

I've got some System 11 sets still left

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

how much do the small squeegees cost?

Do you mean the System 11 squeegee or the one for the patent screen?

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from bballfan:

How much for the wpc 18" squeegee?

PM sent with details

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Any Patent screens available?

I've got some patent screens available. Send me a pm for details.

1 month later
    #215 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Anyone have a better $ on the paint? I paid a fortune for the yellow and need to buy black. (I'm out of Vaseline)

Where I'd you order from last time? I've ordered my ink through artdoggie.com and found their prices to be the best so far.

#217 5 years ago

Bump, to let those who are looking that a few screens are still available.

3 weeks later
    #218 5 years ago

Going to be burning some more screens, anybody need a set?

1 month later
    #220 5 years ago

I've got plenty of screens right now, need to pick up more squeegees. If you want to place an order let me know otherwise I probably will just be selling the screens without the squeegees since I don't want to buy more of those than I need.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from loanguy7171973:

Any plans to do a Data East screen? I could use for a GNR project. Maybe we could pass it around - I only need to do one machine.

In order to make it cost feasible I would need at least 10 people to order a set of Data East screens.

#224 5 years ago

Taking order for WPC screens and System 11 right now. Ordering more squeegees too and considering shipping with ink for the first time if there is demand.

1 month later
    #226 5 years ago

Three sets with squeegees ready to ship out now!!

4 weeks later
    4 weeks later
    #232 4 years ago

Good thing you resurrected the thread, because I do have a few screens, both WPC and Sys 11 sitting in the basement as we speak.

7 months later
    #234 4 years ago

Looking through the basement and found a few extra screens behind some boxes if anyone is interested.

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

I am interested, I am doing a TAF and WH2O at the moment

PM sent

3 months later
    #238 4 years ago
    Quoted from tonybelgium:

hi
    i am wondering if you still have the silk screens , i am doing a renovation of a sega Apollo 13
    i am from belgium can you help me ?
    greetings
    tony

Tony, sorry for not seeing your post. I do have some silk screens available if you still need them. I'll send a PM as well.

7 months later
    #240 3 years ago

Fantastic job on the screening dmacy. For anybody looking, these screens are still available for purchase.

Quoted from dmacy:

Wanted to bump this for Matt. These work fantastic! Extremely happy with how well they work. Thanks to you and Bryan for letting you film him doing theml

4 months later
    #244 3 years ago
    Quoted from loanguy7171973:

How much are the screens?

WPC screens (large warning and small patent) $250
    Squeegees $50
    Shipping in the US $20

Payment can be sent to Matt.merfeld@gmail.com via PayPal. I've got one last set boxed up and ready to ship before I get enough interest to burn some more screens.

4 weeks later
    #253 3 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

I would be interested in a set if your willing to post to Australia.

I've shipped a few to Australia in the past. Due to the large package shipping usually runs $70 USD.

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from Radius118:

What are the chances of getting these made for Stern games?

Shouldn't be an issue. I'll take a look this weekend and see if there are any hangups.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

I'll grab a set if you have anymore available otherwise can you put me down for a set when you next have some please.

PM sent

1 month later
    #259 2 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

Thanks Matt.
    The screens arrived and look great!

Post your finished pictures when you are done!!

#266 2 years ago

Always love seeing them when they are finished. After putting all that work into making a cab look perfect the warning is one of the last finishing touches to make it look like a pro did it.

7 months later
    #271 2 years ago

For anyone finding this old thread and wondering, yes, the screens are still available.

1 year later
    #273 10 months ago

If anyone is in need of a WPC screen and squeegee set PM me. I have one set boxed up and ready to ship out. Might be a while before I make more.

#275 10 months ago

Warning and Patent Screens $250
    Two squeegees for screens $50
    $20 shipping/handling US

It's worth noting that if properly cleaned with 100% mineral spirits, stored in a dry dark place, these will last a lifetime of use. All of the top restorers use this screen set and are using their originals.

Quoted from Juicerc51:

Whats the cost?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider merfeldma.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside