6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by bretthalsey
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5155 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2403 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    img_2297 (resized).jpg
    img_2534 (resized).jpg
    img_2295 (resized).jpg
    img_2406 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1880 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1894 (resized).JPG
    DSCF3113 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2509_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2508_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2194_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2571_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2572_(resized).JPG

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Hey Matt, will any thinner work or do you need to order Nazdar thinner? Thanks.

Any paint thinner should work. Just remember to add it in small amounts. You can allows add more to thin it down right, but it's near impossible to thicken it back up. Please post pics on the thread, I'd love to see the results.

1 month later
    #152 6 years ago

Anyone following the Bryan Kelly IJ restoration may have noticed Bryan uses these screens to restore. I have a few sets in stock right now if anyone would like a set. I also have some System 11 screens available as well.

#153 6 years ago

These are fantastic screens - get them while you can!

4 weeks later
    #154 6 years ago

Any idea where I can get the ink in the uk? Tried acrylic but it dried to faint

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

Any idea where I can get the ink in the uk? Tried acrylic but it dried to faint

If you can't find the Nazdar, any yellow enamel ink should be a close match. I don't think any of us would notice if the yellow text was off slightly.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

These are fantastic screens - get them while you can!

Guys, honestly this is not a "get them while you can". If the OP stops making these, it's not a big deal. Years ago, I took my empty backbox and cabinet to a local silkscreen shop and they reproduced the text exactly. Not close. But, exactly. They made me screens for $200 that I have used several times. They even gave me the "negatives" (or whatever they're called) so I can make my own screens if needed. Just Youtube silkscreening and you'll see how easy it is to silkscreen and make your own screens. Squeegees and ink are readily available too. Having said all that, I'd still buy from the OP if he has them available since he did all the legwork for you. I'm just saying no need to panic if he stops making them.

3 weeks later
    #157 6 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Used the patent for the first time today - works great.

IMG_4604.JPG 127 KB

Looks great!!!

#158 6 years ago

A few people have asked me to repost the tutorial video so they didn't have to search through the post.

Thanks again to Bryan for letting us film you use the screens. If anyone missed out on the initial run I have a few left.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

A few people have asked me to repost the tutorial video so they didn't have to search through the post.
    » YouTube video
    Thanks again to Bryan for letting us film you use the screens. If anyone missed out on the initial run I have a few left.

Great product. I know I will be using mine in the near future.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

» YouTube video

Just for the record, this cabinet was prepped and painted by a buddy of Matts. Not me!!

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just for the record, this cabinet was prepped and painted by a buddy of Matts. Not me!!

I'm not sure if you made that clear in the video or not.

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You could have fixed it up if you didn't like it I would not have complained one bit.

4 weeks later
    #163 6 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

» YouTube video

Just finished watching this great video . Thanks guys, I will have a much higher confidence level doing my heads.

Jan 2014 106.jpg
    #164 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Just finished watching this great video . Thanks guys, I will have a much higher confidence level doing my heads.

Jan 2014 106.jpg 97 KB

That's a glossy cabinet. Please post photos of the cabinet after the Warning has been put on, I really want to see it.

#165 6 years ago

PHEW! first two and thrilled!

General Pinball 014.jpg General Pinball 015.jpg General Pinball 016.jpg
    #166 6 years ago

ToM

General Pinball 024.jpg

General Pinball 019.jpg
    #167 6 years ago

That looks sick!

#168 6 years ago

Wow - like a piano

#171 6 years ago

What about backbox warning text for system11's of the Taxi era? I could use one of those screens!

-Jim

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

What about backbox warning text for system11's of the Taxi era? I could use one of those screens!
    -Jim

Jim,

I've got System 11 screens as well. Send me a PM and I can send you details.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

ToM

General Pinball 024.jpg 300 KB

General Pinball 019.jpg 320 KB

That is so shiny I can see the reflection of a Wh20 in the background......
    Much better than the Bone Busters.

#174 6 years ago

You can't go wrong with these, I got the set and they look really good!Twilight_Zone81.jpgTwilight_Zone89.jpg

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

That is so shiny I can see the reflection of a Wh20 in the background......
    Much better than the Bone Busters.

Still no love for bonebusters ?

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Still no love for bonebusters ?

Sounds like a popular west cost / San Francisco area title.

2 weeks later
    #177 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

ToM

General Pinball 024.jpg 300 KB

General Pinball 019.jpg 320 KB

Quick question, did you clear the cabinet to get that gloss or is that just from a gloss black paint?

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

Quick question, did you clear the cabinet to get that gloss or is that just from a gloss black paint?

Cleared after paint

1 month later
    #179 5 years ago

Is it too late for a set?

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Is it too late for a set?

No about a month ago I had a few more if each made after I had sold my personal set to a friend.

#181 5 years ago

You got friends???

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

You got friends???

You got friends???

Mainly just some people who come over drink my beer and make fun of my nice bright led games.

#183 5 years ago

They look like Skittles.

3 weeks later
    #184 5 years ago

Just finished 10 more screens if anyone is looking for a set. Also have some System 11 left as well.

1 week later
    #185 5 years ago

Here is the finished product using one of Merfeldma's screens. They're awesome!

photo 1 (2).jpg photo 3 (2).jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg
    #186 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

What was you paint formula? looks great!

#187 5 years ago

Thanks. I had my decal color matched/scanned at my local Benjamin Moore dealer and it's an awesome match. Let me know if you want the paint type and color code details - I could send that later tonight when I get home

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Mac622 - that is probably one of the best looking Whirlwind cabinets that exists. You did a great job of getting a smooth surface.

#189 5 years ago

Thanks Matt! I put a lot more hours into it then I care to admit but the end result was worth the effort. Its not perfect but hey - its only pinball and not a Lamborghini! One of your bad-ass screens was the icing on the cake

#190 5 years ago

Anyone got one of these screens in Chicagoland? Need a Addams done, and while these screens are a excellent product, I don't need to buy one to do 1 pin.

Let me know, I will reduce the cost of your screen this way!!!

2 weeks later
    #191 5 years ago

Hey!

Just wanted to show my result of the screening with the above discussed screens. Its obviously for my bride of pinbot restoration project:

boxtext.jpg

Thanks a huge lot and I might buy more screens from you, hopefully they will still be available!

/ Andy

#192 5 years ago

Andy (Ringmaster), great job on the back box and thanks for posting the pictures. For anyone interested, I've got a few sets left if anyone was interested. Email me at matt.merfeld@gmail.com.

#193 5 years ago

made my AFM Backbox. To print was easy, but the cleaning was pure hate Took me more than 1.5 hrs,1liter of thinner and 3 rolls of paper towels But the silkcreen is awesome!

DSC05467.JPG

DSC05471.JPG

DSC05477.JPG

DSC05475.JPG DSC05483.JPG
    #194 5 years ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

made my AFM Backbox. To print was easy, but the cleaning was pure hate Took me more than 1.5 hrs,1liter of thinner and 3 rolls of paper towels But the silkcreen is awesome!

Whoa, that did take a while to clean. I usually can get it done in a few minutes, but I'm not so concerned with the ink near the edge of the screen, just the text area. Good job on the screening, looks nice and crisp.

#195 5 years ago

I also did the small patent screen and taped the surrounding area BEFORE i put ink on the screen. After printing i removed the tape, so most of the ink was gone. Cleaning took me just a few minutes then. I think it's really important to get rid of the ink puddles BEFORE cleaning with towels. Otherwise you have the mess everywhere and your straight in "cleaning hell". But yes, the print is really really nice!

#196 5 years ago

Hiya Matt,
    Would be interested, however because I'm outside US (UK) postage would be a killer. Are these available as the screens on their own (no frames) for easy shipping?? I can frame them here..
    Cheers
    Paul

#197 5 years ago

PM sent

#198 5 years ago

PMs replied to, I still have 8 sets left in case anyone is interested.

#199 5 years ago

Needed to order some more squeegee so if anyone still needs a set or wants a set of screens let me know.

1 month later
    #200 5 years ago

Down to a few last sets right now

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside