Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 327 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by merfeldma
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7983 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7984 (resized).JPG
    _DSC0004-X3 (resized).jpg
    20220808_202519 (resized).jpg
    20220808_122704 (resized).jpg
    20220808_115639 (resized).jpg
    20220309_193754 (resized).jpg
    20220309_200013 (resized).jpg
    20220309_192545 (resized).jpg
    20220309_192620 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6827 (resized).JPG
    4F04141A-0968-40A7-9AEE-3A1FEC96DDFB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5155 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2403 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 10 years ago

If anyone else is interested in ordering a set of screens let me know. I'm going to be placing the order with the screen printer Monday and need to get a final number.

#102 10 years ago

Matt and his buddy James just finished shooting video of me screening the text. (Coming soon to a theater near you.)

Interestingly enough, we compared Grover's screen to Matts and Matt pointed out the difference. It seems there's no font that matches the original. Matt thinks it was maybe hand drawn. While Grover's looks damn nice, all of the points on letters, like on a T, are sharp instead of rounded like they should be. And if you look at the exclamation points in the top section, they were not originally centered in the triangles. They were just put where they were put. Matt also pointed out, not all R's are the same and the same goes for other letters.

Matt still won't tell me how many hours he spent on this project but it involved a ton. Thankfully, there are goofy bastards around like Matt to take on projects like this.

#103 10 years ago

Hi. I'm new to Pinside but not pinball. I'm in for the patent text screen - payment sent. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but have a U.S. shipping address. Thanks for making these!

Jay

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

With the goal of completing some restorations this summer the one thing that my games have been lacking is a completely redone backbox. After researching stencil kits which are one time use only and time consuming with variable results I decided to go all out and silk screen.
    The artwork was scanned in and vectored to match the original exactly in Illustrator. I decided to separate the larger Warning from the small Patent portions for a few reasons. When the two are combined on a larger screen the rails on the back need to be removed and the larger portion would need to be completely blocked off. With the two separate ones cleaning is much easier and no blocking of the screens is necessary.
    My two sample test screens were completed this week and with the assistance of Bryan Kelly he was able to give me his critiques and tested them out, with pictures to follow.
    Since I know some people have the larger screen I will be offering the small Patent screen available separately for those interested. The silkscreens are stretched over an aluminum frame that will never warp or lose tension, which can happen with a wooden frame. With proper cleaning after each screening these should last indefinitely.
    For those interested, you can send payment to my paypal account at [email protected]. Be sure to include what items you want, along with your address, and pinside account name so I can mark you down.
    Warning and Patent Screens $250 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Warning Screen only $200 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Patent Screen only $80 + $10 shipping/handling US
    Two squeegees for screens $50

Payment sent!

#105 10 years ago

payment sent

#106 10 years ago

Yes, me too, payment sent.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

goofy bastards around like Matt

See Matt, I'm not the only one who thinks you're a gb.

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

See Matt, I'm not the only one who thinks you're a gb.

My wife agrees. BTW, the screen print turned out really nice on her back today.

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

My wife agrees. BTW, the screen print turned out really nice on her back today.

So...where did you put the patent screen?

#110 10 years ago

Not the best photo, but here is a shot of the screening Bryan did on jathomp22 FH head he donated for us to work with today. Video soon to follow of the complete tutorial. Special thanks to Bryan for taking time out of his morning and my friend James for driving an hour and filming everything.

screen.jpgscreen.jpg

#111 10 years ago

Sunday bump, I'll be giving the final number to the printer tomorrow so I can get screens out soon to everyone who has paid. This will be the last day to get a screen if you want one from this batch. If I get enough PM messages in the future I may get more made, but this is your best shot if you need one.

#113 10 years ago

Wondering if there are any more people interested in Australia? Seems shipping is insanely high so perhaps a few would want to get together to split the shipping costs.

#114 10 years ago

If you still want to jump in send payment in by 4PM Central time Monday before I head to the printer.

#115 10 years ago

Payment sent!

#116 10 years ago

PM sent, any others from Australia interested?

#117 10 years ago

Still a few more hours for anyone interested.

#118 10 years ago

Tutorial video has been posted http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-backbox-warning-screen-printing-tutorial-with-bryan-kelly#post-916117

I'll be working on a System 11 screen this weekend. PM if you would like more info when I'm finished.

1 week later
    #119 10 years ago

Many of the orders for the screens shipped out Monday. I anticipate getting many more out this weekend in the order they were paid for. Once I ship your orders you will receive an email from Paypal with the tracking information. Good luck printing to all those who ordered, if you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try to guide you through it.

#120 10 years ago

got mine yesterday and looks good, didn't use it yet but I'm sure it will work fine. The aluminum frame should ensure it lasts a long time, good job!

#121 10 years ago

got mine. Looks good and thanks!

If any of the local Madison guys ever need to use it for a project just LMK.

#122 10 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

With the goal of completing some restorations this summer the one thing that my games have been lacking is a completely redone backbox. After researching stencil kits which are one time use only and time consuming with variable results I decided to go all out and silk screen.
    The artwork was scanned in and vectored to match the original exactly in Illustrator. I decided to separate the larger Warning from the small Patent portions for a few reasons. When the two are combined on a larger screen the rails on the back need to be removed and the larger portion would need to be completely blocked off. With the two separate ones cleaning is much easier and no blocking of the screens is necessary.
    My two sample test screens were completed this week and with the assistance of Bryan Kelly he was able to give me his critiques and tested them out, with pictures to follow.
    Since I know some people have the larger screen I will be offering the small Patent screen available separately for those interested. The silkscreens are stretched over an aluminum frame that will never warp or lose tension, which can happen with a wooden frame. With proper cleaning after each screening these should last indefinitely.
    For those interested, you can send payment to my paypal account at [email protected]. Be sure to include what items you want, along with your address, and pinside account name so I can mark you down.
    Warning and Patent Screens $250 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Warning Screen only $200 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Patent Screen only $80 + $10 shipping/handling US
    Two squeegees for screens $50

Got mine Tuesday and much thanks Matt!! Any of the $50.00 pair of squeegees left??
    Chad

#123 10 years ago

Got mine today. Look great, thanks!

#124 10 years ago

got mine today. both sets and squeegees look great.looks very well made thanks

#125 10 years ago

Used the patent for the first time today - works great.

IMG_4604.JPGIMG_4604.JPG

#126 10 years ago

Where are you guys buying your ink from? Matt said to get it through Artdoggie.com, but I'm not finding the 59234 Medium Yellow that Bryan recommended.

#127 10 years ago

I had looked a while back when I was getting ready to order. I never did end up ordering yet so I'm wondering what other people think.

The 59-234 was 3x the price of the 59-134 so I'm curious to know whether anyone tried the lower cost stuff...

#128 10 years ago

I'm using Nazdar 59LF134 Medium Yellow since I bought the first screen. About $37.50 a quart.

Scott

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I had looked a while back when I was getting ready to order. I never did end up ordering yet so I'm wondering what other people think.
    The 59-234 was 3x the price of the 59-134 so I'm curious to know whether anyone tried the lower cost stuff...

The medium yellow that artdoggie has is a perfect match. The numbers are just slightly off for the part number, but it's the same color as before. Bryan Kelly and I are both using the newer part number.

#130 10 years ago

Received the set of screens today. Great job Matt!

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from ABT12:

Received the set of screens today. Great job Matt!

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I spent a lot of hours staring at a computer screen to make sure I got the image as perfect as possible. I know how anal some of these pinball guys can get.

#132 10 years ago

Just received mine today,They look fantastic. Top notch work Matt.

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Just received mine today,They look fantastic. Top notch work Matt.

Glad you're satisfied with the screens

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

If enough people would be interested I could see about getting squeegees included with the set once I find out what it would cost.

PM sent!

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

For anyone looking for the real deal, this is it. Matt and I compared his screens to the originals, and they are about as close to original as you're going to get. The first pic is the screen itself and the second pic shows how particular Matt was in recreating these. Most people wouldn't know the words "never" and "always" are bold compared to the rest of the text.

Can't wait for the DIY video on this Bryan! Thanks for your help with this!

#136 10 years ago

One thing that I have found necessary to succeed with these is a bit of space between the cab and screen. I put sticky felt squares in the corners and it keep the screen sharp that way.

Scott

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

One thing that I have found necessary to succeed with these is a bit of space between the cab and screen. I put sticky felt squares in the corners and it keep the screen sharp that way.
    Scott

Taping nickels to the back of the frames will give the perfect spacing.

#138 10 years ago

Got my screen. looks great, thanks for tackling the project.

#139 10 years ago

Got mine last week and am very happy with them.
    I was sad to have missed out on the kits sold a few years back, so this was awesome.

Thanks again for doing this!

#140 10 years ago
    Quoted from merfeldma:

Taping nickels to the back of the frames will give the perfect spacing.

Be careful - you could possibly scratch the surface you just spent all that time prepping.

#141 10 years ago

Two layers of masking tape over the nickels works like a charge. You can, of course, use anything you want as spacers.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Be careful - you could possibly scratch the surface you just spent all that time prepping.

#142 10 years ago

I cant wait to get my set, TZ and CV have been waiting a long time.

Joe(acejedi)

1 week later
    #143 10 years ago

I've got four last sets of screens available if anyone wants them along with 2 System 11 screens.

2 weeks later
    #144 10 years ago

Three more sets available, PM me if interested.

4 weeks later
    #146 10 years ago

Two more WPC sets left and one last System 11 silk screen

#147 10 years ago

What thread count silk do you use for these?

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

What thread count silk do you use for these?

For enamel inks, I find that 230 thread count works best.

#149 10 years ago

I'm stopping by my printer later this week. If anyone would like a set of screens (WPC or Sys 11) send me a PM and I get get more ordered.

#150 10 years ago

Hey Matt, will any thinner work or do you need to order Nazdar thinner? Thanks.

There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-williams-wpc-backbox-warningpatent-silk-screens/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.