Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 327 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by merfeldma
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7983 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7984 (resized).JPG
    _DSC0004-X3 (resized).jpg
    20220808_202519 (resized).jpg
    20220808_122704 (resized).jpg
    20220808_115639 (resized).jpg
    20220309_193754 (resized).jpg
    20220309_200013 (resized).jpg
    20220309_192545 (resized).jpg
    20220309_192620 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6827 (resized).JPG
    4F04141A-0968-40A7-9AEE-3A1FEC96DDFB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5155 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2403 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 10 years ago

With the goal of completing some restorations this summer the one thing that my games have been lacking is a completely redone backbox. After researching stencil kits which are one time use only and time consuming with variable results I decided to go all out and silk screen.

The artwork was scanned in and vectored to match the original exactly in Illustrator. I decided to separate the larger Warning from the small Patent portions for a few reasons. When the two are combined on a larger screen the rails on the back need to be removed and the larger portion would need to be completely blocked off. With the two separate ones cleaning is much easier and no blocking of the screens is necessary.

My two sample test screens were completed this week and with the assistance of Bryan Kelly he was able to give me his critiques and tested them out, with pictures to follow.

Since I know some people have the larger screen I will be offering the small Patent screen available separately for those interested. The silkscreens are stretched over an aluminum frame that will never warp or lose tension, which can happen with a wooden frame. With proper cleaning after each screening these should last indefinitely.

For those interested, you can send payment to my paypal account at [email protected]. Be sure to include what items you want, along with your address, and pinside account name so I can mark you down.

Warning and Patent Screens $250 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Warning Screen only $200 + $20 shipping/handling US
    Patent Screen only $80 + $10 shipping/handling US
    Two squeegees for screens $50

#2 10 years ago

For anyone looking for the real deal, this is it. Matt and I compared his screens to the originals, and they are about as close to original as you're going to get. The first pic is the screen itself and the second pic shows how particular Matt was in recreating these. Most people wouldn't know the words "never" and "always" are bold compared to the rest of the text.

005.JPG005.JPG 007.JPG007.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Because of the size of the screen and where the text ended up, all I had to do was fasten a cleat the underside of the screen and when slid up to the side of the cabinet, the text is perfectly centered. The cleat also lets me do the screening without having to clamp the screen to the head.

014.JPG014.JPG 021.JPG021.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Even though the cost is more, I told Matt I'd much prefer the patents on a separate screen because it's just more convenient. I also suggested, if the text is placed correctly on the screen, I could simply hold the screen against one of the rails on the back and the text would end up exactly where it should be. It also prevents me from having to clamp the screen. Matt had it done so it worked out perfectly.

031.JPG031.JPG 038.JPG038.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Bump for a great idea. Sending PM.

#6 10 years ago

For anyone interested, here's the squeegee for the larger screen and the ink you need. A 4" or 6" squeegee would work for the patent screen.

022.JPG022.JPG 026.JPG026.JPG

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from devlman:

Bump for a great idea. Sending PM.

You're first on the list

#8 10 years ago

pm sent

#9 10 years ago

PM sent to register interest.

#10 10 years ago

PM sent for complete set

Joe (acejedi)

#11 10 years ago

Man, I don't restore games, but since I have close to 20 pins, I know that this will be something that I need someday. Put me down for a set! And someone please upload a YouTube video on the process
    -Brian

#12 10 years ago

PM sent for a set.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

Man, I don't restore games, but since I have close to 20 pins, I know that this will be something that I need someday. Put me down for a set! And someone please upload a YouTube video on the process
    -Brian

I'll see about getting a video of the process.

#14 10 years ago

We've reached 10, if nobody minds I'll keep it open for a week so everyone has a chance before I get the screens ordered.

#15 10 years ago

I'll take a set of both screens.
    Thanks
    Dan

#16 10 years ago

I'm interested in the patent screen

Scott

#17 10 years ago

Put me down for a set!

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm interested in the patent screen
    Scott

Scott, you're added to the list

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chemixtry:

Put me down for a set!

I've got you down

#20 10 years ago

Pm sent

#21 10 years ago

Nice idea !

I bought such a set years ago from Grover. A "must have" for perfect renovations.

http://bilder.einzelart.de/thumbnails.php?album=80

Once a year we make a little party for printing backboxes.
    The hardest part is cleaning the silk

#22 10 years ago

yea, I'm a little confused. Grover did these a while back and I bought one. Is this a duplication of effort or just a rerun of what the artwork he did. I know Brian Kelly had posted similar comments about that screen set so I'm a bit confused. Is merfeldma Grover?

Jaz

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

yea, I'm a little confused. Grover did these a while back and I bought one. Is this a duplication of effort or just a rerun of what the artwork he did. I know Brian Kelly had posted similar comments about that screen set so I'm a bit confused. Is merfeldma Grover?
    Jaz

This isn't a copy of Grover's print that he did. This was completely new and involved many many hours of vectoring the art to match with original WPC back boxes. Brian's comments were in reference to my new screens.

#24 10 years ago

Please put me down for a set!

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Nice idea !
    I bought such a set years ago from Grover. A "must have" for perfect renovations.
    http://bilder.einzelart.de/thumbnails.php?album=80
    Once a year we make a little party for printing backboxes.
    The hardest part is cleaning the silk

How do you clean the silk screen once used? Is it easy? Are the screens fragile? Or are these a one-use-only item?

Cheers!

Goz

#26 10 years ago

How do you clean the silk screen once used? Is it easy? Are the screens fragile? Or are these a one-use-only item?
    Cheers!
    Goz

Cleaning the screen is actually quite easy. It's just messy. I use paper towels and paint thinner...and wear a rubber glove. That ink really stains.

036.JPG036.JPG

#27 10 years ago

Would love to see a pic of it in use and after use.. So what exactly happens you pour or spray the ink over the text and it comes out on the backbox? I'm just confused as to what exactly happens
    Cheers guys

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sgtmax:

Would love to see a pic of it in use and after use.. So what exactly happens you pour or spray the ink over the text and it comes out on the backbox? I'm just confused as to what exactly happens
    Cheers guys

Best thing you can do is search Youtube for screening videos. You'll easily see how the process works.

#29 10 years ago

Wish i had a set of these when i just did a BSD cabinet for a customer. It was decided to leave off the warning decal becouse it didnt match the rest of the cabinet.
    if I had a silkscreen i could have cleared it in.

#30 10 years ago

This is what Grover's screen can do after some practice. Problem is this one had the patent on the corner of it and it wouldn't get used unless you take the skids off.

Scott

IMG_3295.jpgIMG_3295.jpg

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gozzle:

Cheers!
    Goz

I forgot to mention, if cleaned properly, these screens can be used over and over. I've done a couple dozen heads with mine and it's still going strong.

#32 10 years ago

Those look great, please put me down for both, the 250 package. Thanks.

#33 10 years ago

I am in for both, pm sent

#34 10 years ago

If anyone is even thinking about ever wanting these, I'd buy these now while they're available. A couple years ago, Grover made and sold about 40 of them, then disappeared. It took 2 years for someone like Matt to go through the hassle of recreating these again and Matt just may get hit by a bus in a month and again they'll be unavailable.

Not that I want Matt to get hit by a bus, but hey, shit happens!!

BUY NOW!!

#35 10 years ago

thanks for taking the time to create these matt. I'm in for a set as well, pm sent

#36 10 years ago

He'll be alright, he drives a butt ugly Aztec. If that has not killed him nothing will.

#37 10 years ago

THANKS a ton for doing the work to make this happen!!!

Awesome stuff!!! BK, when I get around to doing my TAF I will be giving you a call to get some help on how to use these properly . I will happily put together a thread with video to document the process so others can learn... deal?

#38 10 years ago

Is there a reason to use silkscreens instead of a spray stencil? Does it come down to re-usability or is there another reason?

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Is there a reason to use silkscreens instead of a spray stencil? Does it come down to re-usability or is there another reason?

Looks better IMO

#40 10 years ago

Pm sent. Just for the patent screen.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Looks better IMO

So is it an authenticity preference? Do you think it makes a difference in the value of a restored game?

#42 10 years ago

Are you planning in selling the ink or squeegee with the set? I bought the ink from nazdar directly but I can't seem to find the squeegee. I called Martin directly but they have a large minimum purchase requirement. I did a lot of searching and found that the urethane blade comes in many shapes so I wasn't sure which to buy.

I've got Grover's set but I think I will buy the patent screen to make life easier
    Pm sent.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

So is it an authenticity preference? Do you think it makes a difference in the value of a restored game?

I haven't seen a stencil job in person but have seen some pics online. I do own a backbox screen. Screenprinting it leaves an original look. The ink is not too think and it is smooth. The pics I've seen of a stencil were thick.

The other thing to consider is a stencil is a one shot thing opposed to reusing a screen. I'd much rather out the money into something ill have for more than one job.

I have a friend with one of Grover's screens as well. I would just use his patent section but didn't realize the issue with the chocks being in place making it impossible.

The patent text on my games is about 3" from chock to edge of text.
    I assume the screen being offered here will be tight enough to allow for proper placement.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I haven't seen a stencil job in person but have seen some pics online. I do own a backbox screen. Screenprinting it leaves an original look. The ink is not too think and it is smooth. The pics I've seen of a stencil were thick.
    The other thing to consider is a stencil is a one shot thing opposed to reusing a screen. I'd much rather out the money into something ill have for more than one job.
    I have a friend with one of Grover's screens as well. I would just use his patent section but didn't realize the issue with the chocks being in place making it impossible.
    The patent text on my games is about 3" from chock to edge of text.
    I assume the screen being offered here will be tight enough to allow for proper placement.

Good info. Thanks. Just curious at this point. I can make paint mask stencils easily for myself so that's why I asked. I don't even have a wpc machine at this point.

#45 10 years ago

I install new chocks on all my restorations ,so the patent doesn't matter if it is on the same screen for me .

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

THANKS a ton for doing the work to make this happen!!!
    Awesome stuff!!! BK, when I get around to doing my TAF I will be giving you a call to get some help on how to use these properly . I will happily put together a thread with video to document the process so others can learn... deal?

I'd be more than happy to give you tips, Hilton. It's really simple to do, BUT, there are some things you should know to make it turn out perfect and help with the clean up. I've got pics, but no video.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I install new chocks on all my restorations ,so the patent doesn't matter if it is on the same screen for me .

I do too, Jim. But the convenience of having them separate is worth the extra $80 to me.

#48 10 years ago

I agree. Plus I paint the chocks after installation, so screening happens after the chocks are on for me.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

If you were to make a mask for spraying.. think about how you'd mask off the inside of letters in small print like that.. and then pull it off

Silkscreening has a continuous surface making it easy to do very fine lines and masks very cleanly. It's also the original method used, so you get a factory-like finish.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Are you planning in selling the ink or squeegee with the set? I bought the ink from nazdar directly but I can't seem to find the squeegee.

If enough people would be interested I could see about getting squeegees included with the set once I find out what it would cost.

There are 327 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-williams-wpc-backbox-warningpatent-silk-screens/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.