beat a dead horse (starwars).jpg
take it.jpg
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

U don't want to take any single transaction above $9800... Always make it two

I would suggest against structuring your transactions.

#52 10 years ago

Paypal for $11K. I would not do it.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

This is something we all have different info on, Ive understood it to be a non-disputable transaction.
Would love to get some actual clarification from Paypal on that issue.
Has anyone ever had a Gifted payment taken back from them?

Simply cant dispute gifts. also, do a bill of sale etc

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Simply cant dispute gifts.

You can't dispute gifts through Paypal, but people dispute Paypal Gift through their credit cards all the time.

The credit card overrules Paypal.

#55 10 years ago

I have bought and sold pins through a variety of ways. Its always sellers choice because the seller has the game.

My personal preference is a Bank Check or cash. That way the check is from the sellers bank, not the seller. I let the check clear and then release the game. Yes you can be scammed this way but it's harder.

Good luck with your transaction.

#56 10 years ago

I've taken PayPal transactions up to 9k I wouldn't go over 10k unless u want Uncle Sam to know

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's too much money to "trust" anyone, Pinsider or not.
Accounts get hacked, emails get phished, people who seem OK lose their minds.

I still think Vid needs to prepare a guide on not getting scammed . . . his stories and examples he gives on this subject are great and useful and everyone should listen to them.

#58 10 years ago

Why not take 2k in paypal and have the balance wired directly in to your account?

#59 10 years ago

Bank to bank transfer, split the bank fee. At eleven grand, you could afford to lose a little bit to insure the security of the transaction, IMO.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I've taken PayPal transactions up to 9k I wouldn't go over 10k unless u want Uncle Sam to know

If you think 'smurfing' transactions less than 10k is a protection, you're wrong unfortunately. I've bought lots of things for cash transactions larger than $10k. (My car, for instance). It's not a big deal to pay cash as long as you're reporting your income properly on your taxes. What the 10k rule is there for is tracking patterns. If you consistently take in over $10k on transactions, that's a good indication of money laundering.

Oh, and I will never do business with Paypal. There's little recourse if something goes wrong, as they're not a bank. They've got a pretty clear history of freezing accounts, arbitrary decisions against account holders, etc. At a bank or with a check funds are governed by a set of laws and insurance for deposits.

#61 10 years ago

Do a wire. Much less risk for a few bucks.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can't dispute gifts through Paypal, but people dispute Paypal Gift through their credit cards all the time.
The credit card overrules Paypal.

I suppose. I've always been notified on any disputes I've had against me on paypal through a CC company. Which I guess was only one. I provided tracking info and other sale info and won the CC dispute. This wasnt a PP dispute btw.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Why not take 2k in paypal and have the balance wired directly in to your account?

Why as the seller would you ever take paypal?

#64 10 years ago

If someone is willing to pay 11000 for something and doesnt want to get a cashiers check or cash, then i would find someone else. Never understood that, I think this poster is just messing around with us anyway

#65 10 years ago

And u have no protection as a seller with paypal its so wrong

#66 10 years ago

straight cash, homey. I'm sure you can find someone willing to come get it for close to that. It's not worth the risk for a few extra bucks.

#67 10 years ago

I have done transactions with both. I prefer bank wire transfer. My local bank charges a flat $10 for me to send one in the US or $40 outside the US. The size of the transfer does not matter. Same fee. I can order it online and if sent in the morning, arrives within an hour.

I couple of years ago, I was on an east coast pinball buying road trip and ran out of cash. I was able to log into my paypal account and gift a seller $5000. No fees because I had the cash in my PayPal account. PayPal did call me to verify. The seller had it in his account within 30 minutes. Bought my really low play HUO LOTRLE.

If I trusted the buyer, I would take a paypal gift but would push them towards wire transfer. It is good to learn to trust people and also go with your instincts on who not to trust.

#68 10 years ago

Vid - not if you have it written on your bank. So you send seller to bank of your choice, say BofA, then when you get the BofA check and deposit it into a BofA account it clears faster. Check it out. BofA says if you bring cash, get a BofA cashiers check to deposit in a BofA account, that it is instant. That's what the bank says anyway. I still wait a week.

#69 10 years ago

have him snail mail the cash to me.
i'll put it on my Tron LE & photograph it for you & post here.
you then ship your Tron LE to the buyer and you will always have this picture of a Tron LE & the money.
each month, i'll paypal $1 to you so the transfer amount is low and no one worries about it.
deal complete

beat a dead horse (starwars).jpgbeat a dead horse (starwars).jpg

#70 10 years ago

ok, that was surreal. The potential buyer read all these posts, got upset (i got an expletive-filled email) and backed out. Apparently felt like his integrity was being called out by the Forum, even though his name was NEVER mentioned in this thread. The machine is still avail if anyone is interested. thxs

#71 10 years ago

Expletive filled email? What the hell?

#72 10 years ago

Yeah, that is pretty crappy on whoever you are's part. You didn't have your integrity called out. Calm down. We all would have had the same reservations.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

ok, that was surreal. The potential buyer read all these posts, got upset (i got an expletive-filled email) and backed out. Apparently felt like his integrity was being called out by the Forum, even though his name was NEVER mentioned in this thread. The machine is still avail if anyone is interested. thxs

That just smells fishy

#74 10 years ago

Hogs get slaughtered.

If you turned down an 11k offer and fished for more here you got what you deserved.

Good luck getting back to 11k from the next guy

#75 10 years ago

It had nothing to do with integrity. It had to do with risk. If I had been the buyer, I would not have expected the seller to take such a risk on me. It wouldn't be worth his hassle.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

pigs get slaughtered.

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

duh.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

You've failed miserably at your first sale attempt. Hopefully you've learned from this.

Posting a pin for sale while it's in the "payment phase" with someone in the SAME forum your posting the ad in is not a good start. All the while openly discussing how to accept said payment on the public forum. This should be a more of a private matter between you and the buyer.

Your greed also didn't help. I doubt you'll be getting an 11k offer on it again. I get it, deals fall thru, but you should have just waited to see if you could get the 11k sale to happen before posting this thread.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

pigs get slaughtered.
If you turned down an 11k offer and fished for more here you got what you deserved.
Good luck getting back to 11k from the next guy

i didn't turn his offer down. i accepted it and asked for a wire for the total (after reading all the negative comments about Paypal). He went radio silent, then sent the email. I 'fished for more' because in my opinion, it's not a done deal till you tell me the money was wired. I've had many potential buyers vanish at the last second. This was no different.

#80 10 years ago

Post edited by Manic : didn't add anything to the thread...

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

You've failed miserably at your first sale attempt. Hopefully you've learned from this.
Posting a pin for sale while it's in the "payment phase" with someone in the SAME forum your posting the ad in is not a good start. All the while openly discussing how to accept said payment on the public forum. This should be a more of a private matter between you and the buyer.
Your greed also didn't help. I doubt you'll be getting an 11k offer on it again. I get it, deals fall thru, but you should have just waited to see if you could get the 11k sale to happen before posting this thread.

i asked the Forum their opinion on Paypal vs. Wire and got a bunch a fantastic responses. In my opinion, the posters here may have saved me from being taken. I genuinely appreciate it.

#82 10 years ago

I would take this thread as a slap in the face if I were the buyer imo, I would back out too. It sounds like you were getting a LOT for your game too. I do understand the reservations with taking payment, but you need to pm people on similar threads if you have a deal, not throw it out in the open. AND you made it sound like if someone was willing to give you more you would take it, not a good way to do business.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

i didn't turn his offer down. i accepted it and asked for a wire for the total (after reading all the negative comments about Paypal). He went radio silent, then sent the email. I 'fished for more' because in my opinion, it's not a done deal till you tell me the money was wired. I've had many potential buyers vanish at the last second. This was no different.

Many potential buyers on this pin?

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Many potential buyers on this pin?

have had several offers
nobody else has backed out of this pin, if that's what u're asking
imho, this smelled funny
very high offer, outta the blue
we spoke on the phone, the guy was ...unique (looking for the right word)

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I would take this thread as a slap in the face if I were the buyer imo, I would back out too. It sounds like you were getting a LOT for your game too. I do understand the reservations with taking payment, but you need to pm people on similar threads if you have a deal, not throw it out in the open. AND you made it sound like if someone was willing to give you more you would take it, not a good way to do business.

I don't see this thread as a slap in the face. I think the OP had valid questions about the security of receiving payment. It did not seem like he was insulting the buyer. He was just doing some due diligence. Completely understandable from both a buyer and seller's perspective.

But I was confused about the seller trying to see if there was a better offer out there if he said he already accepted the offer. I don't think it's right to repost an ad while in negotiations, looking for a better offer. Just put it up for auction then. But I think it's okay to leave the original ad up until the transaction is complete.

After reading this thread, I still don't quite know the best/safest way to transfer cash so that both parties feel safe. I've had online transfers directly into my bank account from the seller who had the same banking institution. I've also done paypal as a seller years ago, before I knew the risk. Luckily, it all went fine.

#86 10 years ago

Sorry the deal went sour, but my initial thoughts when reading this thread the other day is that posting it was a mistake.

Now don't be upset by this but I am not even sure what I believe anymore after reading all the drama.
I understand it is your first sale and you should trust your instincts if it didn't feel right, but I am not sure if you went about it the right way.

It almost seemed to me that even though you had a handshake deal with buyer #1, you were soliciting to find multiple backup buyers while you iron out the payment details. I can't blame # 1 for bailing on you.

Unfortunately this probably hurts the value of your machine a bit in the process. Good luck in the future, there are plenty of pinheads that want this table you just have to be patient you will find the right one eventually.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from islandpinball:

Sorry the deal went sour, but my initial thoughts when reading this thread the other day is that posting it was a mistake.
Now don't be upset by this but I am not even sure what I believe anymore after reading all the drama.
I understand it is your first sale and you should trust your instincts if it didn't feel right, but I am not sure if you went about it the right way.
It almost seemed to me that even though you had a handshake deal with buyer #1, you were soliciting to find multiple backup buyers while you iron out the payment details. I can't blame # 1 for bailing on you.
Unfortunately this probably hurts the value of your machine a bit in the process. Good luck in the future, there are plenty of pinheads that want this table you just have to be patient you will find the right one eventually.

i actually feel much better now. Have had a couple people PM me on this guy with the same experience. I just wanna say if u're selling a pin and u get a call from Bev Hills…hang up. Thxs everybody for the help! Did i mention I have a beautiful Tron LE for sale, if anyone's interested? lol

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

I just wanna say if u're selling a pin and u get a call from Bev Hills…hang up. Thxs everybody for the help!

Was this guy your buyer? Might explain why he had $11K to spend on a pin.

jed.jpgjed.jpg
#89 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

ha, just doubling back to see if there's any more interest. the guy who offered is a poster here and we're in the payment phase. I hope it works out, but u never know.

If you have an offer and are working on payment I think it's pretty bad form to try to sell it out from under the guy.

Quoted from vid1900:

There is also https://www.escrow.com/ that protects both buyer and seller.

This is what I used when flying my MM in. I offered to cover the fees if the buyer would work with the escrow company and everything went really smoothly. It gave us both all the peace of mind we needed.

#90 10 years ago

school is in session

daftpunk-class.pngdaftpunk-class.png

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

If you have an offer and are working on payment I think it's pretty bad form to try to sell it out from under the guy.

we had not agreed on payment. he wanted paypal. i wanted a wire. he blinked when i said 'WIRE' and went silent. i had concerns about the guy being real and based on the PM's I've gotten this AM…looks like my gut was right.

The 11K number was apparently not legit, so if i have to take lower, so be it…it was never a real offer IMHO.

Hey, I have my machine and no legal entanglements…dude, I'm very happy thanks to the posters here. Movin on!

#92 10 years ago

i think you are writing your comment inside the "quote block" tags, so it looks like you didn't actually quote someone.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

i think you are writing your comment inside the "quote block" tags, so it looks like you didn't actually quote someone.

fixed thxs

#94 10 years ago

now up the 3 posters who PM me with same experience

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

we had not agreed on payment. he wanted paypal. i wanted a wire. he blinked when i said 'WIRE' and went silent. i had concerns about the guy being real and based on the PM's I've gotten this AM…looks like my gut was right.
The 11K number was apparently not legit, so if i have to take lower, so be it…it was never a real offer IMHO.
Hey, I have my machine and no legal entanglements…dude, I'm very happy thanks to the posters here. Movin on!

Makes sense!

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

now up the 3 posters who PM me with same experience

sounds like things worked out the way they should have...

#97 10 years ago

If it is same guy I have heard about, you are better off if he refused to wire money.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

If it is same guy I have heard about, you are better off if he refused to wire money.

He sure is.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

They will find out and you will have a 33 percent partner, maybe even 38. Hard to argue you did not make profit if you purchased it for 5500 with a check to a distributor.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

I would have pulled out the minute you opened this thread asking for more money than you and your "buyer" agreed to. One of the lamer threads I've ever seen on Pinside, and that's saying something. Glws. Shazam!

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tron-le-3/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.