FS: Tron LE

By system11

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

NOTE - THIS IS IN THE UK! I'll sell to anyone who can pick it up though, so some mainland EU people might be interested.

Having a games re-arrange, there are 5 machines I want in the house and 4 spaces.

So - my Tron LE is now for sale, which I'm conflicted about because it'll be impossible to replace, but there you go. It's too nice to go in the garage so it'll have to go to someone else's house instead.

http://www.system11.org/temp/Pinball/Tron%20LE/index.html

Bad points:
1) On light cycle insert near flynn scoop, you can just see on the mid playfield shot that there's some paint missing on the insert edge. It's very small. This is from the factory, the clearcoat is perfectly smooth over the top of it.
2) Marks where the legs fit on the cabinet.
3) Two small marks on the back of the cab near where the back of the hinges sit from shipping. They are small.
4) May be a bad point, may not. Target to the right side of the left ramp has been moved back and rotated a bit. You can easily remove the screws and put it back where it should be, but a small amount of wood was shaved off behind it. You can't see it when the target is on. I left it this way (previous owner did it) because I'm a bad player and it makes the gem shot very difficult instead of frustrating.

Good points:
Totally stripped, cleaned and waxed with new rubbers less than 10 games ago. Total games around 250 somewhere.
HUO, bought it from Lee Buck, official EU unit.
Shaker motor fitted.
Tron machine LCD mod fitted, runs an animation of the Tron arcade game.
Remote control LED backboard fitted (much nicer even with animations turned off)
Proper plasma display fitted with all correct parts, even the warning sticker.
Pinball Pro speaker kit fitted, kit wiring modified so that the subwoofer has the volume control inside the cab, because it seems some people have funny ideas about sound balance. Original speakers in a box.
Cliffy hole protector, it's the v1 so does cause occasional ball hangup.
Mantis hole protector and cliffy ramp protectors also included.
All original paperwork and spares included (minus the horrible pinled type display - I sold that)

£5500

The head will have to come off to get it out of the house, and I'd prefer the buyer to come and see the machine since this one's a bit pricey (still, could be worse - look at the US prices). It's in Cambridge UK. No trades unless an absolutely sparkling mint Who Dunnit is part of the trade which seems unlikely as I only know of one that good and he wants to keep it

#2 11 years ago

I wonder how many American guys have been looking up.air freight and boat rental pricea since this was posted.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

I wonder how many American guys have been looking up.air freight and boat rental pricea since this was posted.

They would also have to find how to circumvent the CPU frequency lock Stern has on exports

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

They would also have to find how to circumvent the CPU frequency lock Stern has on exports

Ah. Ze power issue yes

#5 11 years ago

All of them great price best of luck with sale.

#6 11 years ago

Not a bad price for a Tron LE. Good luck with the sale.

#7 11 years ago

I was wondering if my friend in Colechester would store it until he could ship it to me.

#8 11 years ago

I'm sure you'll find a UK buyer at that price James...

Not that it helps the sale, but I know for a fact that he's losing money on it at that price (as I did when I sold it :-/ )... Are you sure you shouldn't be trying to at least break even...?

Just out of interest, what was it about this game that made it come in a position 5? And what were the 4 games that beat it and got to stay?

#9 11 years ago

Oooooh! I am soooooo tempted on this one!!

Just put a deposit down on a AC/DC Premium so no spare cash at the moment.

Giving this some serious thought now...

#10 11 years ago

Aaand... It's been claimed.

And yes, I did lose money - those upgrades were not cheap. At the end of the day though with the games I had at home (and my new addiction to collecting art deco vintage watches), it came down to this or Sopranos having to go, and Tron lost. I really love Sopranos, it's got a lot of character. I realise I'm in a minority, but hey - my favourite games don't appear in most people's top 25, so what's new?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

art deco vintage watches

I know it's OT, but I'd be curious to see a pic of those...

Just been having a gander at your collection... I see you're looking for another Mystery Castle... is 1 not enough!

I also notce Torpedeo Alley is back in your collection, is that the same one you sold me all those years aso?? (If you got it from Mr Mole, then yes it is...!).

I also notice Nautilus is on your list... I managed to get that one myself recently... stunning, if slightly twisted, artwork!! Even though I've had the game for over a month now, and it's apparently working, I haven't had time to even put it on it's legs!! It's soul destroying really!!

#12 11 years ago

I'll take one when the ones in the post have arrived and email it over.

Actually I could probably drop that MC off the wish list since someone kindly sold me a NOS playfield a week or so ago - going to be a big job. It has some speckling in the clear which is obvious on the whites, but overall it's much better - the one I have has been buffed so severely that there's no clear left, just very tired looking paint.

Yep - same Torpedo Alley, it's really suffered while it was gone, insert lifting under the mylar, extra wear especially along the left side, sadly it was used at some tournaments and honestly those just kill older machines. The cabinet is starting to come apart and the displays are shot. Really sad seeing it like this, I'll get around to restoring it at some point because I can't find another that isn't also wrecked.

I'll take that Nautilus off your hands, you know you don't really want it

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

insert lifting under the mylar, extra wear especially along the left side, sadly it was used at some tournaments and honestly those just kill older machines.

I blame Eddies garage for the insert lifting because while I had it it was mainly in heated storage (when I say mainly, that's probably an exaggeration of the truth!).

The ball wear has certainly nothing to do with me bacause I never even set the game up... Buying too many other pins and having a change of heart on this one when I had no space for it was to blame for that!

Quoted from system11:

I'll take that Nautilus off your hands, you know you don't really want it []

Never! You have NO IDEA how long I waited to get hold of this... I think the whole deal took a year to pull off, mainly because the seller had to make a repro backglass... which he's done amazingly well after one failed attempt, I have to say... even the mirror is in there!! I was dreading looking at this when I unpacked the game, but was totally gob-smacked when I saw how good it was!

I MIGHT be able to get another if you really want it, but it would be shipped to me in Czech along with another game or two I want from Spain... so there'd then be the 'getting it to you' issue again...

#14 11 years ago

Would it be complete?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Would it be complete? []

Yes... and probably even working... at least the one I got was...

I've already asked the question

#16 11 years ago

Good Luck with sale! I own one as well top game a pity you have to sell

Just one question, why would you strip the playfield for a clean only after 250 games?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from MrTilt:

Just one question, why would you strip the playfield for a clean only after 250 games?

He was probably getting rid of all the saw dust after I hacked a chunk of the playfield to re-position the 'U' target to open up the Gem shot a bit...

#18 11 years ago

I'm kicking myself for not nabbing it myself. I should have offered a deposit while I sold off my WOZECLE preorder. It's actually too nice looking if anything though. Would put my flat to shame.

Did you sell it to anyone in the SE & London League by any chance sys11?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from MrTilt:

Good Luck with sale! I own one as well top game a pity you have to sell

Because there were slight dirt trails in the rear orbit. I am legendarily fussy about the shape of my games.

Replaced all the rubbers at the same time, turns out all Sterns documentation is wrong - search the forum and you'll find a topic where I posted the correct parts list. Gave it a decent wax too, you really can tell the difference - the ball rolls more quietly.

Once you get the ramps off which is required to access the back lanes, it's really a 15 minute job at worst to strip everything else - very simple construction. Tron is all layout rather than toys, and since most of the lane guides are that thick wire stuff you don't even have to remove/polish 50 metal guides.

Yeah it is a pity to sell it, it's mostly irreplaceable, in lovely condition + mods that really matter. I've played it once since all the mods+cleaning happened. If I could fit 5 games into the house it would stay.

Chocky: I don't know where he lives as it happens so couldn't say! I don't follow all that league stuff, being involved would mean letting people put wear on my games.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

since most of the lane guides are that thick wire stuff you don't even have to remove/polish 50 metal guides.

If anyone else goes this far in stripping the game for a clean up, I'd strongly recommend taking those ball guides out and chroming them... TRON LE with all it's chrome seriously needs this, and I'm both amazed and dissapointed that Stern didn't do this at the factory... it would give a real boost to an already stunning looking game (apart from Zuse's ugly mug right in the middle of the playfield!!)

#21 11 years ago

I had a look at them, they were .. disinterested in being removed, it was definitely going to cause damage to something to try.

#22 11 years ago

Congrats on the sale! What is the highest price anyone has seen a Tron LE go for so far?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I had a look at them, they were .. disinterested in being removed, it was definitely going to cause damage to something to try.

I can imagine the problem... When I try and pry these out I normally use the claw part of a claw hammer and put a piece of ply under the hammer on the playfield, which normally stops the playfield getting damaged... not saying it would work on TRON, just that's how I'd attack it...

#24 11 years ago

I thought about that, for at least 3-4 seconds before deciding it would definitely all end in tears.

I'm dreading taking it all apart this weekend, even though the buyer is coming to help and pick it up. Really getting tired of having this constant procession of machines that need to be dismantled and moved, and especially having to repair and clean everything.

Definitely wearing me down a bit now. At my current rate of work fitting it into 'when I don't feel like a walking corpse from my day job', I've got enough pinball jobs to keep me going until 2015.

In fact, this is massively off topic already so who really cares?

Tron: 100%
Sopranos: 100%
Mystery Castle: Clean and playable but pending entire playfield swap
Apollo 13: Playable in garage, but in need of full strip and shop/resto
Baywatch: Dirty, known to work but folded up in the garage
Stargate 1: Dirty, known to work but folded up in the garage
Stargate 2: Clean (I think), known to work but folded up in the garage
Black Rose: On legs and known to work, but in many many pieces half way through resto
Torpedo Alley: Loads of problems but CPU was alive last tested, in 2 bits in garage
Robocop: Dead, in 2 bits in garage, significant work to do on the loom at least
Who Dunnit: Dirty, in 2 bits in garage, needs minor restoration but known to work sometimes

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

If anyone else goes this far in stripping the game for a clean up, I'd strongly recommend taking those ball guides out and chroming them... TRON LE with all it's chrome seriously needs this, and I'm both amazed and dissapointed that Stern didn't do this at the factory... it would give a real boost to an already stunning looking game...

Not 100% necessary to send Stern ball guides out for plating--here's what I do:

Slowly pry the ball guides out with a thin screwdriver using leverage (obviously, lay a cloth down first and then a thin block of wood to pry on).

Then buff the guides on a benchtop buffer using green rouge.

They'll end up looking basically as shiny as chrome IMO (I think they're actually stainless underneath that opaque, milky bonus coating that comes free from Stern ).

If you don't have a benchtop buffer, Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish will work just fine with some elbow grease.

#26 11 years ago

Highest Tron I have seen sold for on Ebay, $10,500
It was an LE and it had mods (Laserific Topper, Orange Pinball Life cabinet hardware)
However it was lacking most other mods though (ie: light up cycles, arcade mod, etc.)

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I think they're actually stainless underneath that opaque, milky bonus coating that comes free from Stern

Why oh why do Stern put them out like this...

and the LE versions too...

with chrome as a selling point!!!???

OK, the answer is clear... to save a bit of money... but talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth o'tar!

#28 11 years ago

... but talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth o'tar!

Nice.

#29 11 years ago

Why oh why do Stern put them out like this...

and the LE versions too...

with chrome as a selling point!!!???

OK, the answer is clear... to save a bit of money... but talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth o'tar!

Quite odd, isn't it (when a little elbow grease shines them up like bumpers on a '57 Chevy)?

I mean, what: like 15 minutes extra labor during manufacturing to make them look right?

Sheesh Gary.

Just sayin'.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Quite odd, isn't it (when a little elbow grease shines them up like bumpers on a '57 Chevy)?

I mean, what: like 15 minutes extra labor during manufacturing to make them look right?

Sheesh Gary.

Just sayin'.

That's why I feel I'm shying away from modern Sterns... there seems to be a bit too much penny pinching going on and not enough attention to detail... They've even been known to put games out before the code is ready so the programmers can move onto the next game, and then future code updates seem to get a watered down effort to put the code right, so the world end's up with half baked games. Stern do, however, spend the effort of preventing the world from being able to put the code right themselves by means of clevery hidden check-sums... Why do Stern make the effort to prevent outsiders giving the code the TLC it needs, yet don't make the effort to get the code so it doesn't need the TLC in the first place...

P.S. I have a TF, so my views may be somewhat biased

#31 11 years ago

I'm sorry

You're right though, a lot of things have been half baked - lots of breakages, the ball hangups in TF, etc. Then there's that photo recently showing an AC/DC which has already worn to the wood.

#32 11 years ago

That's why I feel I'm shying away from modern Sterns... there seems to be a bit too much penny pinching going on and not enough attention to detail...

You're missing out IMO PS.

I've got mainly B/W games, but my TRON LE & ACDC PREM are among my favorite games in my entire lineup.

Sure, cost-cutting measures have been implemented, but the gameplay & overall experience on these two titles is just amazing IMO (makes the B/W stuff seem a little dated; just a little outdated, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing because they are classics...just saying this new Stern stuff is amazing IMO, but to each his own).

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I've got mainly B/W games, but my TRON LE & ACDC PREM are among my favorite games in my entire lineup.
Sure, cost-cutting measures have been implemented, but the gameplay & overall experience on these two titles is just amazing IMO (makes the B/W stuff seem a little dated; just a little outdated, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing because they are classics...just saying this new Stern stuff is amazing IMO, but to each his own).

But QC is not good enough.

I agree the games are fun to play. Would like XM, IM, ACDC etc but the QC and unfinished code is annoying.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

But QC is not good enough.

I agree the games are fun to play. Would like XM, IM, ACDC etc but the QC and unfinished code is annoying.

Boy I'm a crappy writer evidently--the central point I was trying to convey was: the good outweighs the bad (IMO).

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

He's not been missing out too much - the Tron LE I just sold used to belong to him

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

He's not been missing out too much - the TRON LE I just sold used to belong to him []

I still might be missing out on the ACDC though... although not being a fan of the band kind of makes that particular game a non-starter for me anyway... But apart from Tron and ACDC, I could be misisng out on others (and apart from TF which I have)...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tron-le-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.