View topic image gallery

tron_usb.jpg
tron_custom_text.jpg
SAM_1089.JPG
arcade_mod_with_flash.JPG
arcade_mod_no_flash_right.JPG
arcade_mod_no_flash_left.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I finally cleaned out my severely cluttered work area so I could start some winter projects and discovered I had a few sets of the Tron arcade mod parts left. I ordered these parts a while back using the detailed parts list provided by the mods original creator on the pinhacks.com site. Since you need to buy multiple sets of the plastic parts at a time I bought a set of parts to build my own and then sold the extra parts as a DIY kit. Demand was high for the kits initially and I bought some additional parts sets to keep up but has since diminshed. I decided to go ahead and just build fully assembled mods with my few remaining parts. I had enough parts left to build 4 complete plug and play arcade mods.

For this last build I improved the design a little more by adding additional light barriers as well as light reflectors to help direct the light more where you want it and less where you don't.

The mod comes completely built and tested and ready for use. I use the 1.5" OLED screen with Eli's latest code running on it. It's a simple plug and play install that only takes a few minutes. The wiring harness along with some cable ties and a pictorial install guide are included.

The mods are completed and ready for immediate shipment. Two of the mods have a UV flasher bulb installed and the other two 2 have a white flasher bulb installed. The UV is nice in that it makes the joystick and lower base mounting plate glow more when it flashes. However being UV its not nearly as bright as the white flasher. So its more of a preference if you want the subtle UV glow or the bright white flash when it goes off. You can specify which bulb style you want when you order it. The flasher bulb is easily changed though if you want a different style or color.

Since I'm not planning building any more of these (it takes quite while and is a real pain) I'm including some extra spare parts I no longer need. They include:

Extra set of decals. If you ever need to open the mod up (replace LED, reprogram screen, whatever, you will need to replace the side decals when you put it back together).

Extra LED's (white and UV) in case the originals ever fail.

Extra UV reactive joystick piece.

Extras spinner knobs in alternate colors (mod is built with UV reactive light blue but I'm also including black or deep purple versions in case you want to change the color).

Extra set of the clear acrylic and purple pieces (display cover, top marquee, front panel, purple black light bar).

Extra base mounting pieces in alternate colors. The mod comes built with UV reactive light blue base. I'm also including a deep purple base as a well as the solid black base. You can't see much of the base when its installed but someone might want to try the other colors.

Cost is $200 shipped via priority mail (within US). Other countries would be a little more depending on location to cover the higher shipping rates. Mods are completed and ready to go so they can ship immediately. Send me a personal message for paypal info if interested. I know a lot of Tron owners have these already so if I don't sell them all here, off to ebay they go.

Attached are some pics of it installed with and without the flash as well as a pic of all the stuff I'm including with mod.

arcade_mod_no_flash_left.JPGarcade_mod_no_flash_left.JPG arcade_mod_no_flash_right.JPGarcade_mod_no_flash_right.JPG arcade_mod_with_flash.JPGarcade_mod_with_flash.JPG SAM_1089.JPGSAM_1089.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Payment sent!

Free bump. =)

#3 11 years ago

That was a good deal!

#5 11 years ago

I installed my Arcade Mod from Docquest lastnight. Proceeded to play for about 3 hours after install. Very happy with this mod. Looks great. Love how much brighter the flasher is when it's going to eject the ball from the scoop. Found it helped during multiballs when there was a lot going on. I would have to agree with most others when they say this is likely the best Tron mod available. Even the wife thought it looked really cool!!!

Doc said he has two left, get them while they last!

Thanks Docquest!

Sean

#6 11 years ago

I need one. Pm sent

#8 11 years ago

Nice work, docquest, and great price. This is exactly what I hoped to see when releasing the laser designs. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see your improvements in person.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from PinHacks:

Nice work, docquest, and great price. This is exactly what I hoped to see when releasing the laser designs. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see your improvements in person.

Thanks, thats high praise coming from the mod designed himself. You sir, deserve all the credit for coming up with the new cab design. It was quite ingenius. It stayed true to the design aesthetic of the original 1982 video game and at the same time was able to functionally house the screen and flasher.

My subtle changes just involved adding reflective chrome tape as well as flat black tape in areas to either increase the reflected light where I wanted it or block it where it wasn't wanted. Although the cabinet panels all fits tightly together there were still areas of light leakage around the marquee and OLED I wanted to control better.

I believe most users of your mod will agree that its truly the best mod of all time. If there's ever a mod hall of fame your mod deserves the top spot.

I can't wait to see your next creation.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I believe most users of your mod will agree that its truly the best mod of all time. If there's ever a mod hall of fame your mod deserves the top spot.
I can't wait to see your next creation.

+1 googolplex

Mod of the year for 2012.

Marcus

#11 11 years ago

Thanks. It's just an elaborate frame for Eli's software though. Therein lies real genius -- the best demo of that screen's native language that exists.

I actually redesigned the marquee using thin PETG for the last (and final?) run that I did, so it could fit in front of the joystick clips and nudge higher, removing the gap. I agree that there was too much leakage with the initial version, though you couldn't really see it from a playing angle.

3 months later
#12 10 years ago

Do you have one more available by any chance ?

#13 10 years ago

I still have some.

Our boston pinball group had a fundraiser for the the marathon victims and I ordered some parts to build one for a raffle we had. I have enoughparts to build a couple more left. I have one ready to go for a pinsider that said he wanted it but didn't follow through so his is up for grabs. Standard mod is $200 shipped in continental US.

If you are interested in customizing the screen or initals on the hi-score table I can do that to. See example pic below to show custom text under the MCP cone.

I can also configure the mod to run off of a USB plug in case you don't have a Tron pinball machine but just want a cool desk toy.

tron_custom_text.jpgtron_custom_text.jpg tron_usb.jpgtron_usb.jpg

6 years later
#14 4 years ago

Any idea where I can get a mounting plate? Just got a Tron but the plate on mine is busted. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Trade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tron-arcade-mod-with-extra-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.