5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Is it just me or most people don't bother to take shots of the interior of the cabinet. I find it just as important as anything else when purchasing a pinball. Am I the only one thinking this way?

#2 5 years ago

For me, the condition of the artwork is the most important, as it's the most expensive to repair or replace (and in many cases, impossible to replace).

Pretty much all the innards can be repaired or replaced much more readily.

However, if you're serious about a buy, ask the seller for pics. Most are happy to provide them if it closes a deal.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For me, the condition of the artwork is the most important, as it's the most expensive to repair or replace (and in many cases, impossible to replace).
    Pretty much all the innards can be repaired or replaced much more readily.
    However, if you're serious about a buy, ask the seller for pics. Most are happy to provide them if it closes a deal.

Agreed. I probably fit into your group as I don't always post pictures of the inside of the cabinet. Most times I do but occasionally I don't. Not on purpose, I just don't always take them. But I would be more than happy to take those pictures and provide them upon request.

#4 5 years ago

as a buyer the inside of the cabinet has never been a priority... nobody sees it but me and not very often... unless there is some damage that is not visible in another pic or the seller does not disclose, I really don't care what it looks like

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

as a buyer the inside of the cabinet has never been a priority... nobody sees it but me and not very often... unless there is some damage that is not visible in another pic or the seller does not disclose, I really don't care what it looks like

Exactly. It's always a plus if it looks nice, but not a deal breaker in most cases IMHO.

#6 5 years ago

Same here. For me the condition of the PF and Cab are what matters. No one but me sees the inside. The only time I would probably want pics of the inside is if water is mentioned or it was on route at a beach or near the ocean.

Salt air/water is a bitch!!!!

#7 5 years ago

I generally don't take pictures of the inside of the cabinet or the underside of the playfield when selling a game.

If I'm buying and the owner says it works and the pictures of the cab/playfield look good, then I figure it's worth a trip to look under the hood.

As others have said, if you want to see the inside of the cabinet just ask, most sellers will oblige.

Dave

#8 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of the one picture from 15 feet away.
    But that's just me

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Is it just me or most people don't bother to take shots of the interior of the cabinet. I find it just as important as anything else when purchasing a pinball. Am I the only one thinking this way?

Once you establish communication with the seller you can request any pictures you desire. If they don't comply well......totally up to you. If you don't even try because of the lack of said pictures, simply put, your pet peeve has already gotten the better of you.

#10 5 years ago

This is usually something I just look at in person. Unless claiming CQ or HUO that pic should not really matter a whole lot. If claiming either of above statements I am sure they would gladly snap that pic if asked. IMO

#11 5 years ago

In 2014, where most everyone has a camera on their phone, and photos are free -- taking fewer than 30 photos to show a pin is lazy. And yes, to answer your question, one of those pics should be of the interior.

Why? Because it helps tell a story. Sometimes I buy a pin with a crap interior, and sometimes I can eat off it. Some are saying, "I don't let the interior be a deal-breaker" -- duh. That's not the point at all to showing this shot. This pic tells the buyer, "I do or do NOT care about the interior of my machines" and that's useful information as you gather the picture about your seller and his care/attention to his machines.

Where did I get 30 from?
    (see below)

Whether you show all 30+ up front in the post or not, is a sales tactic, and it's your call. Just don't be that guy that takes 2-3 shots of the pin with the glass on, and think you have a clue as to how to show a pin.

Go review a photo shoot from a high end restorer. Look at a HEP or PMD restore. Most of their albums are in the 40+ range for # of pics. It doesn't matter if your machine isn't in HEP or PMD show condition, you should still have a clean, well-lit machine with 30+ photos of it, as if it were recently shopped and ready to show.

-mof

---

Here's a tutorial on what shots to take at a minimum. HEP or PMD would take more than 31 shots.

1-2) Backglass: Remove the backglass, and photograph the front in a well lit room, then flip it around, and take a shot of the grey backside from a low angle to show smoothness or cracks/lifting in the artwork
    3-6) Circuit boards: Take a close up shot of each circuit board and the battery pack.
    7-12) Playfield: Take some playfield pictures with glass off. It is most important to show the wear (or lack of wear) around the lower flippers, and an extreme close up of the entrance to each ramp or any place where a ball is dropped from a ramp or habitrail wireform.
    13-15) Playfield wear spots: Show any spots on the playfield or plastics that you think may be an issue for the buyer.
    16) Coinbox: Take a shot of the Coinbox.
    17-21) Body: Take a shot of the left backbox, left body, right back box, right body, and rear of backbox.
    22) Toys: Take a close up of any hard-to-find plastic toys in the game.
    23-25) Inlanes + Flipper Area: Take close up pics of both left and right inlane areas and in front of the flippers — this is where a lot of wear happens.
    26-30) Underneath the playfield, both the underside and inside the cabinet.
    31) Insert shot. Take a shot with the lights off, and let us see how much light is bleeding through the inserts. (This is possibly the most important shot to me, since I play with the lights off.)

---

#12 5 years ago

An alternate approach ... for the serious pinball buyer.

1) grab cash
    2) grab keys
    3) go see the pin in person
    4) take all the pictures you want

It's the only way to be certain you're getting what you want.

If you must ship, then ask the seller for detailed photos. And even then we know many pins are are dark rooms, and everyone is using mobile phones with crappy flashes. And let's face it: not everyone is a photographer. Most photos I see look like crap.

#13 5 years ago

I take about 20 - 30 pics of any game I want to trade or sell. I normally get most areas, but I've never taken a picture of under the playfield, or inside the back box. I just don't think of it while I'm snapping pics, and I've never had anyone ask after the fact.

#14 5 years ago

I agree for the most part that it's not a "deal breaker" (most of the time) but I just feel that shows off what's under the hood. It's like looking at a car on "autotrader" and not have a picture of "under the hood". You get there only to realize that all the parts are rusted...some other parts are missing or dangling...that there is 100 years worth of coke and beer residue all over the parts / place...some wires are hacked to shit...and that there is water damage...that half the subway ramp is cracked or missing. I'm just thinking that for the time that it takes people should always take a picture of that as a courtesy.

Some of us don't have the luxury of driving to get the game that we want as it is non-existent within 1000 miles of where we live.

#15 5 years ago

Lazy comment RE photographs total bullshit . Couple comments worth considering . Sad fact not all people have the available spectrum ( network speed ) to provide series of photos . Lack of network speed really sucks. Nor do all have interest or skills in photography ( see my inquiry " how to take game photos " thread on RGP , had lots great reply's ) . If machine marketed as collector quality it would be in the sellers best interest to provide photos but that is their decision . Shane

#16 5 years ago

Just traded a machine and got a little trigger happy with 55 pics. I rather have a few to many than not enough

#17 5 years ago

I agree with you. Digital pics are free, take pictures of the playfield , cabinet, inside of the cabinet, boards and 30+ more. I'm shelling out a couple thousand $ + after all.

#18 5 years ago

I try and take lots of pics for a FS thread; but I don't flood the post with pics. I feel anyone that is a serious buyer will request descriptions and more pictures to satisfy their interest during the purchase process. I think if someone is traveling an hour or more to look at or buy a pin they need at least 20 or so pictures so there is no doubt as to what they are getting.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Sad fact not all people have the available spectrum ( network speed ) to provide series of photos . Lack of network speed really sucks. Nor do all have interest or skills in photography

That's hogwash, you can set your digital camera to take small shots and then upload them. At 300k a photo you can upload 30 for under 9 megs. And has far as photography skills go...most camera are advanced enough to take incredible shots...just point and shoot.

#20 5 years ago

I have ran about 2 minute videos on a pin I sell. I can talk and highlight good/bad areas of my pin. I can take pics as well and do about 10ish. I have once Facetime'd a walkthrough of a pin. I have only sold 3 pins and a 4th to its original owner and I think all parties are still happy.

#21 5 years ago

I don't agree that everyone needs all the types of pics mentioned, I'm generally buying used older games. I really can't see what I am interested in from most people's camera work anyway. If the exterior pics are enough for me to consider the game at all, I have to go in person, armed with my big magnifying glass. That's where I ask to see in the backbox to evaluate the condition of the boards. As long as everything is in the cabinet, I'm not too concerned there.

The truth is, in the time taken to ask for more pics usually the game gets sold out from under me anyway so I have to work with what little might be presented.

That being said - If I am selling, I'll take a handful of pics to present a sale. Then if someone asks for specific shots I will obtain them for them.

#22 5 years ago

Figured I'd add my own $.02 here.

Yep, digital pics are free.
    But a F/S add should not ever be the only deciding factor in purchasing a game. It should be enough to get you interested and speak to the seller.
    Then you can ask for any pictures you may want.

Just like you don't hire a candidate based on resume only...it's merely a tool to determine if further interest is warranted.

And for me, I don't care enough about the inside of the cabinet to want to see it in an add unless there is something horribly wrong. Insides don't wear or stuff. You basically can see if there is blatant physical or liquid damage. And that's about it.

#23 5 years ago

After reading everyone's comments...

I see a simple equation here:

Create an ad to attract the type of buyer you want.

I consider a buyer's possible state of mind:

He feels:
    1. local OR remote
    2. particular about condition OR he does not

In short, only be prepared with 30+ pics and vids if your goal is to have an attractive ad for the remote+'cares about condition' buyer. If you are only selling to locals, or remote people who don't care about condition, you can get away with not giving full disclosure on the pin up front via pics/vids if that's your style.

Whether you post all your pics to your ad or not up front, is up to your sales approach.

-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 3.70
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 29.99
    $ 89.99
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 22.50
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside