Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Guinnesstime
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 11.47.59 AM (resized).png
IMG_4726 (resized).JPG
IMG_4723 (resized).JPG
IMG_4721 (resized).JPG
IMG_4720 (resized).JPG
IMG_4719 (resized).JPG
IMG_4675 (resized).JPG
IMG_4674 (resized).JPG
IMG_4672 (resized).JPG
IMG_4652 (resized).JPG
IMG_4651 (resized).JPG
image001 (resized).jpg
IMG_3150 (resized).JPG
IMG_9841.JPG
image.jpg
10714256_10205391524851971_1382602830076935776_o-660.jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

I've spent a good amount of time thinking about this and have come to the decision to offer the Goonies Pinball for sale. I put so much time and energy into creating it, so it really was a difficult decision as I'm sure anyone can imagine. The main reason for selling is I want to start a new project and I would like to keep the pin projects more self funded so I don't have to put new money into future projects. Keeps the cash flow strong, haha. The next project will be quite a bit bigger (original theme, LCD, custom rules, etc. etc.).

Anywho, about the game. Here's a link to the build thread if you're not familiar. This was a retheme.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-goonies-pinball-project-hollywood-heat-re-theme

Quick Overview:
- Donor Game: Hollywood Heat
- Changes Made: Art, sound, music, display text on the ROMs.
- I stripped it all down to the bare wood, new paint, and then applied new art.
- Games plays great with the original HH rule set.
- All new plastics and art.
- Comet LEDs throughout.
- Real backglass, no more translite
- All art printed by Rich at This Old Game, super nice quality
- Playfield has a polycarbonate overlay on top. This can easily be removed and cleared if so desired in the future.

Here's the deal: I will be bringing this to the Texas Pinball Festival at the end of March. At the end of the show, this could go home with the buyer. If the buyer can not take it at that time, other arrangements could be made for shipping. This game will not leave my possession until after this show. I just really want more people to get the chance to play it.

Between now and show time I will be finishing some final pieces of art. It will have art on the front of the cab around the coin door. It will be a full piece art that matches the side art. I'm hoping to also add art to the back board of the playfield as well as the little ramp on the left. I will also continue adding in sounds effects for targets and all rollovers and slings. I feel confident that this can all be done prior to the show.

Price? This is a one of a kind and has a theme that just about everyone can get behind. I'm very proud of how it turned out and the work that went into it. I would like to keep the pricing private between myself and any prospective buyers. For a one of a kind pin like this, there is no market value for. I'm very open to communicate one on one with anyone interested. PM if interested and I'll leave it at that.

Here are some pics. For those that are serious buyers, PM for more info.

// Error: Image 347685 not found //

// Error: Image 347686 not found //

// Error: Image 347687 not found //

// Error: Image 347688 not found //

// Error: Image 347689 not found //

10365508_10205391547972549_4748071369973810108_o.jpg

10835484_10205391515811745_1257784549539867514_o.jpg

905534_10205391516251756_8637769965293038650_o.jpg

1969402_10205825809788823_4415962358945066462_n.jpg

#2 4 years ago

10479084_10205336998368843_4428048566740272012_o-530.jpg

10835187_10205391544932473_4328556144656038730_o-57.jpg

1529903_10205391548852571_4432416323912976465_o-472.jpg

10452949_10205391518691817_6436528834205890415_o-75.jpg

10818279_10205391527972049_4332924439084211638_o-258.jpg

10714256_10205391524851971_1382602830076935776_o-660.jpg

#3 4 years ago

I can't believe you are parting with this so soon after completion. I'm looking forward to your future projects, though! GLWS

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I can't believe you are parting with this so soon after completion. I'm looking forward to your future projects, though! GLWS

You and me both man. Haha

#5 4 years ago

i'm going to the Texas pinball fest this year. I will talk to my friend that's going with me to. if the price is right just might have to get !

#6 4 years ago

Not to be a downer here, but are there copyright issues when this is offered for sale? Personal use is one thing, but I'd be a little worried here... Anyone know how that works?

#8 4 years ago

Pm sent

#9 4 years ago

Mike.....you are a stronger man than I am. My wife and I have been inspired by your project and she keeps asking me when I am going to build her a Goonies machine....I GUESS I could save a lot of time.....but......with great power...

Good luck with the sale. I really hope the buyer is as philanthropic with this machine as you have been. I'd love to see it at expo or something....or at all.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Not to be a downer here, but are there copyright issues when this is offered for sale? Personal use is one thing, but I'd be a little worried here... Anyone know how that works?

This was brought up before and I believe the answer was, as a one-off, you are fine.

#11 4 years ago

Does it come with a spare NOS playfield and plastics set? The machine looks awesome, good luck with the sale!

Brad

#12 4 years ago

Why not track down a Goonie or two and see if they are interested? They can't be that hard to get a hold of.

I bet without about 15 minutes of effort you could have Corey Feldman's phone number. This game would be PERFECT for his arrested-development low-rent Playboy Mansion knockoff. He'd probably want it for free though but still worth a shot.

#13 4 years ago

Thank you all for the messages. I'll be replying to all in just a moment.

Thank you all for the kind words as well. I truly do want to get this to go to a new owner that is willing to continue to share this pin with others. Hopefully this inspires more people to build their own games. I'm really looking forward to starting on the next project.

#14 4 years ago

I know the sale price will remain private, but I'm just curious what anyone thinks the ballpark would be. My gut feeling says $8k but the more I think about it, I think that's low as a one-off art piece.

#15 4 years ago

I'd also be happy to transfer ownership of the website and domain to the new owner. It would be cool if they continue to tell the story of the pin.

#16 4 years ago

All PM's replied to. Thanks guys.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I know the sale price will remain private, but I'm just curious what anyone thinks the ballpark would be. My gut feeling says $8k but the more I think about it, I think that's low as a one-off art piece.

I think Mike would be REALLY happy to get that kind of money for this.

#18 4 years ago

I would contact Doug at PAPA. They don't have a HHeat from what I can remember but they have showed off and purchased custom projects just like this in the past. Would be great to see at the next PAPA tournament or even the Replay FX festival.

#19 4 years ago

Wow! I didn't even know a Goonies pinball machine was ever made!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Markii:

Wow! I didn't even know a Goonies pinball machine was ever made!

I revoke your Senior Pinhead status

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I revoke your Senior Pinhead status

In his defense, it was made... just VERY low production numbers.

Probably signed by Hulk Hogan too..

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

This was brought up before and I believe the answer was, as a one-off, you are fine.

He easily meets copyright fair use claims for initially making and displaying the game. Problem is, if he sells it he's making money (even if a pittance compared to the time invested), which triggers more scrutiny. However, the biggest problem isn't even copyright, it's trademark violation. You simply cannot make and sell things using another company's trademarks without their permission. Even onesies-twosies. As long as it stays under the radar he's probably fine, but again, once money is involved, things can get complicated fast. Notice that all the Matrix sales have been off the radar, so to speak...

#23 4 years ago

glwts!!!! it will be neet to see it again in Texas!

#24 4 years ago

Wow, I'm kind of bummed your selling it, are you sure you want to let it go? Glws I loved reading about the build and wished I could have made it to Florida for the show to play it.

#25 4 years ago

Go to the dollar store, buy something. Sell it for X amount. throw in a free goonies pinball machine. legalities skirted.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I would be shocked. I'm thinking half that.

#27 4 years ago

I hope this pin stays in Florida, it was really fun to play at Freeplay Florida last year! GLWTS

#28 4 years ago

I tip my hat to you. Very well done.

#29 4 years ago

Damn fun game to play too!
A hit at the Florida show, and well deserved for an Excellent job!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

I hope this pin stays in Florida, it was really fun to play at Freeplay Florida last year! GLWTS

I'm stoked you enjoyed it! It would be amazing if it stayed in Florida.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Damn fun game to play too!
A hit at the Florida show, and well deserved for an Excellent job!

Thanks Art!

#32 4 years ago

Funny how hollywood heat gets such poor reviews but if you put new artwork and sounds to it people enjoy playing it. I guess artwork and sounds add more to a game than you would think.

I personally like hollywood heat so I am sure it would be even better as goonies.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

Funny how Hollywood Heat gets such poor reviews but if you put new artwork and sounds to it people enjoy playing it. I guess artwork and sounds add more to a game than you would think.
I personally like Hollywood Heat so I am sure it would be even better as goonies.

I heard that very same point made many times at the Free Play show. I love Hollywood Heat. The layout is unique. Multiplayer is fun because you can steel multiballs. The captive ball is really satisfying to hit for some reason.

#34 4 years ago

So sad brother! Limited space and $$ I get though. Congrats on finishing! If I wanted to get the code and artwork to make my own Goonies pin from a HH, would you be willing to share?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why not track down a Goonie or two and see if they are interested? They can't be that hard to get a hold of.
I bet without about 15 minutes of effort you could have Corey Feldman's phone number. This game would be PERFECT for his arrested-development low-rent Playboy Mansion knockoff. He'd probably want it for free though but still worth a shot.

Sadly, Feldman hates being known as a Goonie and won't respond to any inquiries regarding that movie. Maybe Brolin would dig it?

#35 4 years ago

Price ideas? super cool! $6000? I would go $2800 myself... But think it's worth more to others and I am always looking for a deal.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

So sad brother! Limited space and $$ I get though. Congrats on finishing! If I wanted to get the code and artwork to make my own Goonies pin from a HH, would you be willing to share?

Thanks! It was such a project.

I won't share any of the art for the pin but I'm more than happy share the art templates for the cab and playfield. This would really give people that want to retheme a HH a big headstart. Let me know if you need any templates. I do plan on having them available for download on my site as well.

#37 4 years ago

I followed the build from the begining; awesom work. I don't plan on making an offer but thought I'd ask for others.

Is the Goonies arcade in the deal? Would you separate the two machines, or are they better together as a set? Or are you keeping the arcade?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

He easily meets copyright fair use claims for initially making and displaying the game. Problem is, if he sells it he's making money (even if a pittance compared to the time invested), which triggers more scrutiny. However, the biggest problem isn't even copyright, it's trademark violation. You simply cannot make and sell things using another company's trademarks without their permission. Even onesies-twosies. As long as it stays under the radar he's probably fine, but again, once money is involved, things can get complicated fast. Notice that all the Matrix sales have been off the radar, so to speak...

The practical question is whether a company is going to litigate over such a small matter. I'd guess no.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

The practical question is whether a company is going to litigate over such a small matter. I'd guess no.

And against an individual to boot. I'd guess no as well, even they received a judgment of some kind it is not easy to collect against individuals. The real question I would be interested in is whether his homeowners policy would have an exclusion of some kind to provide him a defense.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I agree with you; I don't think he has anything to worry about. *Technically* it's an infringement, so I wouldn't put it on ebay or anything with lots of exposure. I'd assume all the movie studios trawl ebay regularly looking for pirated films and whatnot.. no need for them to run across this.

#41 4 years ago

Have you updated anything since the last gameplay video? It looked close, but not quite done yet. Would love for you to post one more gameplay vid before it goes! BTW, I PM'ed you my email addy for HH template.

#42 4 years ago

Umm...... WOW.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Have you updated anything since the last gameplay video? It looked close, but not quite done yet. Would love for you to post one more gameplay vid before it goes! BTW, I PM'ed you my email addy for HH template.

I have, yes. I will be doing quite a bit more leading up to the Texas show.

No sweat the on the templates. I'm getting them together for a couple of people. I'm hoping to have them cleaned up and ready by the end of the weekend.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I followed the build from the begining; awesom work. I don't plan on making an offer but thought I'd ask for others.
Is the Goonies arcade in the deal? Would you separate the two machines, or are they better together as a set? Or are you keeping the arcade?

The Goonies Nintendo Playchoice is available as well. It could be combined in a deal or separate. I have it for sale locally in our Village forum. Includes 10 playchoice games, inlcuding Goonies of course.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Does it come with a spare NOS playfield and plastics set? The machine looks awesome, good luck with the sale!
Brad

Haha, I may have an extra "NOS" instruction card. I will provide all art files to the final buyer though. Just in case the buyer ever needs to have new art printed or new plastics made.

#46 4 years ago

Played it at FPF, Mike did a great job!

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Simply rewrite the for-sale listing and the purchase contract when you do have a buyer:

For sale: 5 super-polished mirror glaze awesome steel pinballs - $10,000
... Included with sale (for free) is a Goonies-themed pinball machine to use them in.

Intellectual Property (IP) claims muted. Done.

-Brian

#48 4 years ago

Yeah, I don't have any concerns about issues with copyright. There's many ways around if issues arise but I don't foresee that happening.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

Yeah, I don't have any concerns about issues with copyright. There's many ways around if issues arise but I don't foresee that happening.

Especially if people would stop bringing it up on public posts where it will be saved forever....

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Especially if people would stop bringing it up on public posts where it will be saved forever....

Haha, that would be helpful.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside