image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Suppose you were in the market to buy The Getaway and you found one in pretty nice condition. Please see pictures here and below. The playfield looks really good and the only major wear is at the kickout. Cabinet looks to have some wear or white paint or something close to the right flipper button. Back box looks nice, DMD works fine and I think the playfield has LED's. I can buy this thing as is for $2000.00 or seller says they will completely shop it out and charge $2300.00. I'm leaning towards just having a completely ready pin for the $2300.00. I'm sure shopping it myself would teach me a lot about my machine, but when you have limited time you just want a 100% working machine, plus I don't even know if I could even shop it out myself. Lets hear your opinions on price and what you would do, buy it as is, pay the extra to shop it out, or don't buy it at all because ?? Thanks!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

More pics

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 10 years ago

This one shows the wear at the kickout.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 10 years ago

What is exactly going to be done for $300? You can get a rubber kit for under $20 and a bottle of Novus 2 for under $10. It just takes a bit of time and elbow grease. For me I like to see how much better I can make the pin look on my own. It really doesn't look like it needs a whole lot of work. I would take it for $2000 and play it for awhile. That looks like a pretty good price for what I have seen.

#6 10 years ago

Well, the saucer is definitely beaten up pretty badly... but guess what... you're never going to see it. Especially if you install the mountain mod.

I'd have to agree and disagree with the above comments. Yes, rubber kits are 20-30 bucks... but is this guy going to go through the whole machine? Clean coil sleeves and bats? Does it come with delivery?

I've played Getaway on location and it was...well... not as snappy. Jet bumpers were not real zippy... blah, blah, blah.

I paid $2500 for my Getaway earlier this year. It came with a total shop-out and delivery from a real pro. The things plays super fast and tight. I wouldn't worry too much about the wear around the flipper button.

My questions:

What does the other side of the cab look like? I'd make sure both sides have those deep reds.

Does the dome light work?

Does the back ramp operate correctly (have you run the up-down ramp test)?

How zippy is the Super Charger?

I would say $2K is a steal on this title... I've seen them go as high as $2700. If the machine you're looking at really has original reds and works? That's a fantastic price. As for the $300... that's more up to you. But I would confirm exactly what the seller is going to do. Are we talking total top side strip?

If you want the game, this one seems like it is practically falling in your lap.

#7 10 years ago

Wait a second... look at the picture. That machine has a credit dot.

Find out what that error is first.

#8 10 years ago

I would just have him pack it up for $2K and move on.....good deal in my opinion. You really can't get hurt at that price....worst case you play it for a year and unload it for $1,700-$1,800 and that is WORST CASE in my opinion.....2 year of fun for $300....hey, you would spend that going to a Redskin game !!!

Don't overthink this. If you want the game it is priced "close enough" I would just jump on it. I laugh when I see people worry about every penny as this game might be worth $3K in 2 years and you played it and made money. I watch people smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day (bad habit...I never smoked) and then they worry about a few hundred dollars....they have a 60 pack a month habit or roughly $360 !!!! Or the people that drink a $5 starbuck every day for $150 a month....so just ENJOY THE PIN.....I wouldn't even hesitate for that price.

I have a HS2 which I bought with a BSD about 6 months ago for $3,500....good deal but it is not in as good shape as that Getaway you are buying and the BSD was "just alright" as well but I didn't waste one second as I never do.....if you want it and the price is decent get it and that price is better then decent in my opinion for the shape of that game.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.....hey, everytime you play it pretend you put in 50 cents (personally I say $1 because you have it in the convenience of your home and that is worth A LOT TO ME)....but even at 50 cents if you play 300 games on it a year that is $150 you saved..you can't lose on this game !1!

#9 10 years ago

According to the seller the shop job will include a total strip down of playfield, replacing/repairing broken parts and rubbers, new coil stops and cool sleeves on the flippers (basic flipper rebuild), and basically making the game operate at 100%. Believe me I did ask what the shop job was going to entail. As far as I know the top beacon works but after the shop I will thoroughly go through and test lamps, switches, coils, etc. I think $300 is a pretty good price, maybe rubbers are not that expensive, but labor is.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Wait a second... look at the picture. That machine has a credit dot.
Find out what that error is first.

How do you know there is a credit dot? I don't see it. I actually didn't even know when people say no credit dots what that means. I always thought it was a actual DMD issue but the way I read your post is that it shows game errors?

#11 10 years ago

let him do it fast game will never sell mine

#12 10 years ago

If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it before someone else does and worry about the details when you get it home. as long as it can play and not lock up. The cabinet and playfield look to be in good shape.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How do you know there is a credit dot? I don't see it. I actually didn't even know when people say no credit dots what that means. I always thought it was a actual DMD issue but the way I read your post is that it shows game errors?

In the first picture on the DMD it says "CREDITS 0.". When there is a period after the number it means the machine is reporting an issue, and if you open the door and press the button it would tell you what is wrong. Could be as simple as the "Switch 74, you suck at this game" issue, or something more serious. You never know until you look at it.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

or something more serious.

Like date and time not set.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

In the first picture on the DMD it says "CREDITS 0.". When there is a period after the number it means the machine is reporting an issue, and if you open the door and press the button it would tell you what is wrong. Could be as simple as the "Switch 74, you suck at this game" issue, or something more serious. You never know until you look at it.

Cool I didn't know that. If there is a problem I'm sure it will be fixed with the shop out. Never the less I will confirm with tests before I take it home.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it before someone else does and worry about the details when you get it home. as long as it can play and not lock up. The cabinet and playfield look to be in good shape.

It's not going to go anywhere. The seller is pretty much working exclusively with me first, so it's mine to lose.

#17 10 years ago

That's good news! It looks like a very nice machine at a good price. Most credit dots seem to relate to a switch malfunction, and most are pretty easy to fix. The most common dot is from not setting date and time.

#18 10 years ago

You might consider the alternate translite if you do pick up this machine. I tried, but I can't put the original back in. It won't let me.

DSCN1838.JPGDSCN1838.JPG

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think someone already said, but the fact that there is a "." after the number of credits is a "credit dot." It basically indicates some sort of switch error. If it's local, go start it up, open the coin door, hit the "enter test mode" button (I may have the name wrong) and see what messages pop up. It could just be the "top lock switch error" which just means it hasn't seen multiball in 20 games, or date and time not set, or it could be more serious.

Go play a couple games. If it seems fine, bring it home and sort out the issue later.

#20 10 years ago

Yeah I've seen that alternate and while those babes look so hot I prefer the original.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Yeah I've seen that alternate and while those babes look so hot I prefer the original.

The babes are ok, but I like the sunset behind the clouds. Or it might actually be sunrise.

#22 10 years ago

Great game . I also will never sell mine. You should jump on it.I got lucky and paid $1000 for mine a few years ago and done alot of upgrades.

#23 10 years ago

2K is in the right ballpark.

If rebuilding flippers and turbo charger and getting everything 100% and has LED's then I would just pay the $2300.

The reason is I like to get really familiar with a game and its workings before tearing it apart. This usually stops me from having to take pictures or ask others where stuff goes later.

If you have the extra money and are more worried about your time or knowledge I would just pay him for the first one. At some point though you need to roll up your sleeves and get wet. Hobby is just crazy expensive if you do none of it yourself.

#24 10 years ago

A $2000 unfaded High Speed II....... Sign me up!

#25 10 years ago

I have to agree with others....if another $300 gets you the playfield stripped down and done, correcting any "issues" and it puts you all in for $2300 do not hesitate. Especially if you are questioning your ability or time in doing it yourself.

#26 10 years ago

You can tell its been routed for a while. Look at the coin slot wear. That's not white paint around the flipper button that is wear from being on location and being played. The side rails have dents in them from the backbox . FWIW For 2k I would talk him down on the price. Its a routed machine that needs some attention.

#27 10 years ago

Part of owning a pinball is spending time cleaning and maintaining it. These are needy machines. Whether you buy it shopped or not, prepare to spend quite a bit of time doing maintenance. There are pros and cons either way. If you shop yourself you will learn a ton in a short time. If you get it shopped, you can enjoy right away, but even the. You should make the effort to learn about your machine over time, and do the next shop job yourself in a year or two (or whenever). just depends on how you want to learn and what you want your experience to be. Just don't expect to be able to own the machine and never have to get down and dirty with it. Whatever you decide, just do it, don't feel guilty if you decide to have it shopped, and have fun!

#28 10 years ago

After reading all the remarks and your responses.... I'd go check to see the credit dot. Others are right... It could just be that no one has locked the third ball in a certain number of games and the switch hasn't been triggered.

Have the guy run the ramp test (and I think there is a super charger test too). If all goes well, pay him the $2300 and forget about it. IMO, 2300 for a nice Getaway is a great deal.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

You can tell its been routed for a while. Look at the coin slot wear. That's not white paint around the flipper button that is wear from being on location and being played. The side rails have dents in them from the backbox . FWIW For 2k I would talk him down on the price. Its a routed machine that needs some attention.

Anything you can do for the cabinet fading near the flipper buttons? Perhaps touch it up with some flat or gloss black paint? The rails can always be replaced, I see a small dent on the right rail. For being routed the playfield is in great condition I think.

#30 10 years ago

You can touch it up... but, personally, I wouldn't. It's on the cab. Adds character to the game... it's history!

Go check for errors... give the boards a look over to make sure there isn't anything peculiar... if not, get it!

#31 10 years ago

The example your looking at is decent but not exceptional. Shopped out or not, I would hesitate paying over $2k unless you know for sure it is a keeper and you really want it. I don't think there are many buyers out there above that price. If I were you I'd try to get it for $2000-2100 shopped out.

#32 10 years ago

I know these machines always need attention. Just from owning JP and JD for the last 6 months or so I have gotten in and made some repairs. I'm willing to get my sleeves wet but I also think you have to weight out play and fun time vs fixing and repair time for a newly owned machine. You want to enjoy this thing right away and I think $300 is pretty reasonable for a playfield strip shop out.

#33 10 years ago

Can't believe this thread is still in "debate mode"...LOL. Very little to debate here. You want the game BUY IT.....you are not being "ripped off"....I see one guy say "talk him down in price"....risk losing it to save $100 or $200 (this guy would be stupid to sell it for $1,500 based on the pictures so there is NO SIGNIFICANT SAVINGS HERE by negotiating and for all you know he has another offer and tells you to GET LOST (I know I would if you tried to negotiate an already fair price and I had other offers....I rarely sell pins but when I do I price them fairly and rarely negotiate....I don't play the "mark them up and then take money off game"....not what I do and I doubt this guy is "marking this one up" based on the pictures I saw.

From a percentage basis you will not get hurt much at the $2K price. At that price this pin will do better then the overall market in my opinion (if the overall market declines 20% this will decline less then that and if the market goes up 20% this will go up more if you get it for $2K).

There just isn't much room to get REALLY HURT (not like buying an X-MEN LE or some other new LE and trying to sell it in a few months if you find out you don't like it).

This DEBATE has run its course. What are we really debating ???? The guy can't get HURT BAD regardless (not like he is paying $2,500-$3,000) based on what we have seen....if the game plays well pack it up and bring it home and ENJOY IT rather then worrying "did someone get me for $100 or $200"....PLUS, you don't have to pay for SHIPPING !!!!! GOOD DEAL and everyone "nit picking" the game isn't taking THE BIG PICTURE into consideration (local and a nice game at a fair price).

If I was the seller I would tell you "SH** or get off the POT" as if I was in "expand mode" and didn't have an HS2 this would be about a 2 second decision for me !!!!! I would bring him over $2K cash (again, you can pay a local pinsider $100-$200 and they will help you shop it out so I wouldn't worry about that either plus you will learn a lot which is worth something) and not even think twice. Funny thing is "so would MOST pinsiders" so what are we debating here.....even the most PESSIMISTIC response was try to get it a little cheaper....LOL !!!!

The post served its purpose....YOU GOT THE GREEN LIGHT now go get it before someone else does (again, if I didn't have to "skinny my collection down to keep the peace" and didn't have a HS2 and this was local it would already be in my house !!!).

#34 10 years ago

Jeez if your that frustrated don't read the post then. I'm just getting people's opinions.

#35 10 years ago

I'd use the fact that it is unshopped and has a credit dot to negotiate the price down. $2000 Getaways are everywhere, so you might as well put in the effort to get the price down a little.

#36 10 years ago

$2K GetAways are everywhere? I haven't seen an unfaded GetAway at a show in a LONG time. And I've seen faded examples sell for considerable more.

At $2K, I'd jump on it. Unfaded is hard to find and assuming the playfield is otherwise good, that's a great price.

The shop job is up to you. I'd personally do it myself, but I can understand wanting someone else to do it. For example, I pay to get my brakes done, but I know what to do. So even if you know what to do, getting a fully working game is nice.

Cheers,
Duane

#37 10 years ago

Negotiate the price down? That HS2 looks great. Anywhere in the $2-2.3K range is a great price. If he were asking $2.7... then you could point out some of the more obvious dings and work the price down to the lower 2's.

I have to agree with Houseofpin. There's no negotiating on this one... I would go confirm the source of the credit dot... make sure the ramp works... and roll with it. Don't beat yourself up over a hundred here or there. You won't remember it when the game shifts into 4th gear and you start hitting 5 million shots on the super charger ramp!!!!!!!!

Get it before it goes somewhere else!

edit: I agree with the comment about the reds on the cab. Rare indeed.

#38 10 years ago

Damn, it is costing me $500 tomorrow to go to a Caps pre-season game against the Blackhawks plus the $100 I will spend on food and beer......the "benefits" of having season tickets. My point is after the game I have nothing to show for it. Same with football, baseball, etc. and all my other "hobbies".

I will never understand the thought process that people put into trying to worry about whether they overpaid by $100 or $200 for a pin. My point was I doubt ANYONE would say this is a $1,500 pin in this condition and it is LOCAL. So at $2K the guy isn't getting "ripped off" and in an EXTREME worse case scenario (which I feel at $2K it is a GREAT PRICE) the guy might be paying a hundred or two additional (but again it is local). What is the discussion was my point ?

He is definitely "in the ball park" and if anyone can find me this type of pin for $1,700 or $1,800 I am "all ears"....so lets see some facts rather then people saying "the price is high". IT IS LOCAL....what is that worth as well.....come on most of us have driven hours for a good deal so I guess MOST OF YOU WOULD RATHER PAY $1,750 and get a GREAT DEAL and drive 5 hours one way....NOT ME....I will take a GOOD DEAL at $2K and drive down the street.....time you pay for gas, tolls you might save $100 but to drive 10 hours round trip to save $100 not "my cup of tea"...how about the wear and tear on the vehicle......THE GAME IS LOCAL !!! GREAT GAME and a GOOD PRICE (I feel a very good price)...

This thread is funny.....truly, my feeling is if someone has to worry that much about $100 or $200 this is not the hobby for them. That is why I PRAY these things start to act like "depreciable assets" and that should "weed out a lot of people" once people start to factor in that it is COSTING THEM MONEY to play pinball.

Damn, I wouldn't golf, boat or go to sporting events if I had to justify every penny I spent. I went for a trip out on my boat just to enjoy the nice weather. We "putted around" for 2 hours and lets see my boat burns 35-40 gallons an hour....that is 70-80 gallons at $4 a gallon....HOLY CRAP.....$300 to "put around".....but it was FUN and truly spending quality family time sometimes you just can't JUSTIFY every hundred dollars you spend !!!

How many friends do we know that smoke 1-2 packs of cigarettes a day or like to drink excessively on weekends.....both those habits will cost you some money. PINBALL IS CHEAP....there is no decision at $2K for a great game you will enjoy for years.....to pass on it because you feel you paid $100-$200 too much would be a mistake is my MAIN POINT.

I am done with this post.....truly, this has given me some morning humor and now I understand why I was able to get the pins I wanted in such a short period of time (I was willing to pay fair prices and not haggle too much.....damn, like I said "I just traded a NIB AC/DC premium for an IM".....not one regret....GREAT SELLER AND he delivered it and set it up and put in a couple of shakers and trouble shot a couple of my games to boot....and more importantly I have an IM THAT I LOVE and didn't have to leave my HOUSE...what is that worth....to me a few hundred at least !!! People have grown to expect PINBALL TO BE A CHEAP HOBBY (because the games don't go down) but that is about to change over the next 5 years in my opinion so lets see how many "can stomach that".......this will be interesting !!!

Good luck to the OP.....just buy it and ENJOY IT and don't worry so much about the price....you are close enough and nobody is going to ever say "you got taken" (which was my main point !!!).

#39 10 years ago

The question was "What would you do?" I answered negotiate a little. That is what I would do. Take it or leave it.

The game has issues and 2K should get you at least a fully working Getaway, if not a shopped one. 2 - 2.3K is not exactly a "great price." Not necessarily a ripoff, but not a steal either. Friend of mine picked up one with slight fade for $1500 last year (delivered), so I do have a point of reference when I make that claim.

There's seems to be a strange amount of pride on this forum about spending money on games without negotiating and "jumping on" everything that pops up. What's the worst that can happen? The price stays the same? As you stated, he's negotiating directly with you and only you, so the risk of losing it to another buyer is off the table. If you manage to get even $100 bucks off, is that such a bad thing? If it's local, go see the machine and negotiate in person with the maximum you are willing to pay in your pocket. Being there ready to take the machine has a lot more power than people give it credit for (Hell, I negotiated a price over the phone once and when I got there, the game was not as described and I ended up buying it for less than originally agreed since I was ready to walk out the door).

All that said, that is one sweet looking Getaway cabinet. Best of luck with it - let us know how it turns out!

-BB

#40 10 years ago

Prices look OK as they are. OK is avg., not great. Why not negotiate a little? HS2 is a fun game, but not at all rare. Cabinet looks nice.
Be careful if you negotiate the price with the seller shopping it for you because he may figure you are not valuing his time. He may cut corners.
HS2 will hold it's value OK over the years, like your JP and JD you already own. I am one who thinks that pins are starting to top out in price and although I feel they will not crash in price, they will not go up across the board like they have the past few years. Good luck!

#41 10 years ago

What the hell? HOP is everywhere. This is the most self centered individual we have seen.

#42 10 years ago

Jump up, jump up and get down!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 72.50
$ 20.00
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-the-getaway-what-would-you-do-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.