Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PB050222.JPG

#1 6 years ago

This game will be my 5th high end resto of a classic SS pin. I'm trying to finish it by the York show. This has been a 4-5 year project starting with plans for CPR to repro the F2K playfield in 2008. This particular game will have a playfield that was re-screened by CPR when the reproes were made in 2010. Highlights of this game will be the new pf, cpr plastics, re-stenciled and re-built cab and head. All metal parts re-plated. New repro side rails specific to wide body Stern cabs. Chrome accents on coin door. Chromed lock down bar. All mechanicals rebuilt with new or NOS parts. 2 NOS pop bumper assemblies. CPR repro back glass. Pincore displays. Alltek MPU and lamp driver. LED's throughout, yeah I know some of you hate LED's but it saves the plastics and power supply. And yes, new power supply as well. The list goes on forever. I will be putting a gallery of pics together with captions so you can see what's been done. You can see some of it here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dramatic-before-and-after-f2k-resto-pics-4-years-and-counting

#3 6 years ago

Amazing job, looks awesome!!!

#4 6 years ago

Very nice - that's a ton of work. GLWS

#5 6 years ago

Thanks everyone, yes it's a lot of work but I enjoy it.

#6 6 years ago

I got alot done this past weekend. The main cab is almost ready for re-assembly, I finished it off with several coats of clear satin lacquer as I usually do on a new re-paint. I also installed the spinners on the pf and started the plastics.

I also started build a gallery of pics with captions. I will be adding more pics as I get closer to completion.

http://southjerseypinball.com/gallery/v/lovef2k/F2K+2013/

Click thumbnails to enlarge pics. Any coments or suggestions are welcomed.Thanks.

#7 6 years ago

"re-screened original PF" is kind of a misnomer... just say it's a CPR repro playfield. It's not an "original" PF.

What's the price gonna be? lol.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

"re-screened original PF" is kind of a misnomer... just say it's a CPR repro playfield. It's not an "original" PF.
What's the price gonna be? lol.

True the artwork is cpr. Actually done by Lance Foster, who I met at the York show last year. The wood used by CPR is much harder and heavier than the original. What makes this pf better to me is the use of the original blue inserts and the 10K bonus insert in the center of the pf. The blue inserts back in the day are deep rich blue compared to today's inserts.

I sold an identical F2K last year for $6500. That one had standard bulbs and an actual CPR repro pf. The buyer is very happy with the machine AFAIK. This one will be in the same ball park. I have received high compliment of my restos. Some even have compared them to HEP, even though I could never match their level of restoration. As you can see, I'm very detail oriented and I don't cut corners. It takes me at least a year to restore a pin.

I see you're from Dallas. Do you know Bill Morrison? He knows of my restos and also helps me with advice and extra parts.

#9 6 years ago

I'm with you. I'd rather have a repro playfield than the original. 6500?!? Holy sch....lol! More power to you! I know how much work it is, the only thing I haven't done at this point is cabinet repaints, PF touchup, and clearing a PF.. I'm getting there. Slowly. I know of Bill, but I've never talked to him in person. I think he posts here?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm with you. I'd rather have a repro playfield than the original. 6500?!? Holy sch....lol! More power to you! I know how much work it is, the only thing I haven't done at this point is cabinet repaints, PF touchup, and clearing a PF.. I'm getting there. Slowly. I know of Bill, but I've never talked to him in person. I think he posts here?

Yep that's alot but not when you think about all the time and effort involved. Especially when you see for example, a un-restored Xenon on epay for $4K. which they made almost twice as many than F2K.

I also have not cleared a pf nor have I done touch ups. This is where my skills kind of fall short. This game is my 5th repaint. To me it's the bulk of the work when restoring a pin. And like any paint job, all the work and result is in the prep.

I have been talking with Bill since 2009 or so. I know he loves his Sterns too. Hope to meet him someday.

#11 6 years ago

For $6500 I don't think I'll keep mine when I get it done. I'd even sell it for a lot less but it won't be as nice as this one..

#12 6 years ago

Still plugging away to make York. I added more pics of my progress so far.

#13 6 years ago

So, just to clarify; you have an original playfield - that was rescreened by CPR?

#14 6 years ago

Yes, that's correct. In fact I have 2. I'm saving the other for "My" F2K.

1 week later
#15 6 years ago

The Flight 2000 is almost finished. Getting ready to fire it up today hopefully. I added more pics to my gallery last night:

4 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Finally wrapping up the F2K restoration. I just have some minor details to finish up. I'm putting this out there if anyone is looking for a collector quality classic Stern pin. This is my second F2K and 5th restoration overall. This game has been gone over down to the last screw. Too many details to list here. Price is 6K firm, sorry no trades at this time. I would really like any serious buyer to see the game in person. Would rather have it picked up but I will send it NAVL if prepaid by certified funds. No Paypal.

Highlights are:
factory pf re-screened and clear coated by CPR
re-built/re-stenciled cab with new floor
CPR 2012 repro backglass
CPR repro plastics set
Brand new custom made side rails
Pinscore displays
Alltek MPU, solenoid driver and lamp drivers
entire game completely repinned w/ new housings on all connectors.
Chromed coin entry bezel,coin return flap, eject button, lock down bar and shooter rod handle, Mike Chestnut
All, and I mean 99% of all the metal in machine re-plated in zinc or nickel
refinished coin box with plastic dividers
Cointaker LED's color matched to inserts, warm white GI's with purple GI's in ball launch area
CT LED's in backbox, color matched to coincide w/backglass art., really pops in dark room.
Custom decal for apron, repro instruction cards,
I can go on, so much went into this game.

I have a lot more pics, files are too large to upload on PS
Please PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks, Rich

PB050222.JPG
1 month later
#17 5 years ago

I'm bumping this thread, this game is still for sale. Probably the best F2K you will ever see. I have over 200 pics online in the previous post. The only plays on the game were for testing and adjusting. If anyone would like to stop by just to see it, let me know.

Happy New Year,
Rich

#18 5 years ago

Wow. Just looked through the gallery. Looks terrific.

If I was interested in an early Stern game, I'd be all over this. Nice work!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside