• NBA Stern, 2009

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nba.PNG
7481888504_1e9758cb06_b.jpg
7481881432_9e9bb4c486_b.jpg
7481858340_34e99f2f32_b.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Here is a pin for sale that you won't see very often. It may not appeal to everyone, but if it's setup properly, both level AND at the right angle, it's a very fun pin to play! It has taken me a while to finish this shop out as the parts are fairly hard to come by. (the main ramp took forever). It was stripped to the PF, cleaned and polished, new rubber, flipper rebuild etc. It plays very fast and very well. The main ramp was replaced with a NOS one as well as a new basketball friction spinning disk in the middle of the PF. There are some LEDs through out it, especially in hard to access areas. The plastics are very good but not perfect. (available from Marco for $200 if you want it perfect)

Less than 300 of these were made and here's a chance to get one that is in very nice condition. Asking $3,200 (OBO) Would also trade this pin plus $1,000 for either a Tron Pro or an AC/DC Pro in similar condition.

Marketplace link: http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/2765

7481858340_34e99f2f32_b.jpg7481858340_34e99f2f32_b.jpg 7481881432_9e9bb4c486_b.jpg7481881432_9e9bb4c486_b.jpg 7481888504_1e9758cb06_b.jpg7481888504_1e9758cb06_b.jpg

Post edited by GaryMartin : Machine is sold!

#2 11 years ago

I have been looking for one of these for about a year. No hurry, just watching and waiting. Two have appeared before me in one week. This hobby is crazy. Your game looks nice. The other one appeared to me first and I made the deal. Good luck with your sale. I really like this game.

#3 11 years ago

If you can get a Tron pro anywhere for 4500 let me know.

I've been trying for weeks.

I can't believe they only made 300 of these and the one I played was in an arcade. How odd. I really loathe this game though, even though it had some nice features. I just couldn't figure out the scoring.

#4 11 years ago

Ha. You can't believe they only made 300, but you also loathe the game because you couldn't figure it out. Maybe that had something to do with it

Quoted from Frax:

I can't believe they only made 300 of these and the one I played was in an arcade. How odd. I really loathe this game though, even though it had some nice features. I just couldn't figure out the scoring.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Ha. You can't believe they only made 300, but you also loathe the game because you couldn't figure it out. Maybe that had something to do with it

Nah..I've seen high scores posted on it before. I'm usually a guy that likes to figure out rules, but I'm not big on basketball to start with, and the fact that I couldn't EVER even get close to getting a replay on a place that is extremely lenient with replay scores...that's a bad combination, especially when there is a BDK, SM, LOTR, TRON, IJ4, and POTC in the lineup with it....I had too many choices on other games that I liked more to spend the time to figure it out.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If you can get a Tron pro anywhere for 4500 let me know.
I've been trying for weeks.

It's pretty straight forward. There are six mini modes you have to complete to get to the Playoffs. Each mini mode is pretty easy. There are a couple of other multiball modes like "Fire", "SuperStars" and the game of "H-O-R-S-E" (which I like a lot).

Horse is slick. At the start, all shots are lit. Make any shot, then you have to make that same one again to get the next letter. Sounds easier than it is.

The captive ball is actually a penalty if you hit it at the wrong time. (Calls a Foul) Get the pop bumpers run up far enough and it lights up as a Rebound, which is one of the six mini modes you have to collect before getting to the playoffs.

F.I.R.E. mode, which is started with three right ramp shots, gets really fast and frenetic. It's basically one long extended combo shot, with timers counting down to expire the mode. Keep making one of the three through-the-air shots (right ramp for two, center saucer for a free throw or left ramp for three) and the mode keeps going and the light and sound show keeps ramping up.

The deal with NBA (and why I think it had issues on route) is that it has to be perfectly leveled AND the angle has to be set exactly between the two lines on the bubble. You MUST level this game side to side and the right angle for all of the through-the-air flying ball shots to work right. Get the leveling wrong and none of that works right.

#7 11 years ago

I hear what you are saying about it being leveled. Beyond it being leveled I think the game must have a strong 123v AC or more line voltage for the Through-the-air ball shot to work. I had the game downstairs and had 123v AC at the wall outlet in our entry way and it worked like a champ. Moved the game upstairs and the ball would launch just shy of hitting the rim. Upstairs gameroom voltage is 120v AC. I talked to Chaz at Stern and he recommended a coil upgrade and it's been working fine ever since.

Frax the game is tough to get high scores on, that's a fact. Gary Martin has summed up many of the modes very well.

You can also improve your score drastically by spelling the in/outlanes by the flippers. This is how you achieve your multipliers for the end of ball bonus. Another great way to boost your score is by making the loops around the backside of the playfield. It takes three shots around either side of the back to start the Ring Mode "Fastbreak". Once fast break is started, it's a fast scoring mode where the score on the DMD starts off at 2.5 million and is counting down quickly. For each time you make another loop you are awarded the Fastbreak amount shown on the DMD. The more times you can fastbreak during the most the more points you can receive.

You can achieve extra ball by making however many hoop shots it says to make on the DMD. I think the first extra ball at factory setting is 70 points. There are three different basket shots that earn your points. Left ramp shot in basket is worth 3 points. Center scoop that throws the ball in the air to the basket is worth 1 point, right ramp into basket is worth 2 points. Making each of these three basket ball hoop shots in a row, basically like a three way combo will award you the Ring "Triple Double". I have the hardest time making it in the center scoop as that is a tight shot.

3 weeks later
#8 11 years ago

Bump for reduced price!

#9 11 years ago

oups Gary cause i missed this post, and than sry for the PM (i read the story trought the pinside menu surfing NBA infos)

the fact is that i'm not interested buying your pin...
not because i dont like it, but more simple while i already got one !!!

and yes, its really a nice pin
not hard to play & keeping ball, but yes hard to score big points while making all missions to get NBA FINALS, especially the SUPERSTAR which is quite difficult to get (much more than all the others 5)

for info, my son beat me few ago, with a very nice score (i assume) in 3 balls/factory settings, i'm "only" at 99M (126 in 5 balls)...

nba.PNGnba.PNG

btw, i have a "full mission" gameplay video posted right on the IPDB NBA page
check it for those who wanna see more of the pin

#10 11 years ago

From a Lawrence Pinhead to another, I wish you the best of luck in selling that machine, Gary! It does look pretty nice with excellent use of the NBA theme. Strange they only made 300 of them. High cost to put together?

#11 11 years ago

Dang... bring it to PA!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from GreyScale:

From a Lawrence Pinhead to another, I wish you the best of luck in selling that machine, Gary! It does look pretty nice with excellent use of the NBA theme. Strange they only made 300 of them. High cost to put together?

More like market gone to crap and no one to sell to.

LTG

#13 11 years ago

My friend and I thought it was a cool, fun pin- I remember less than a year ago on RGP, someone selling a nice one for $2600 and people bashing the crap out of it. I wouldn't mind finding one in the $2500 range
On a side not, this is the pin they used on some show ''how's it made'' and split the game down the center with a saw...what a waste. :0/

#14 11 years ago

Love mine!

#15 11 years ago

Yeah, I may never see another NBA unless you bring it to TPF or I end up at your place somehow. LOL.

#16 11 years ago

even more if the run is "really" 300... !?
this is very few, less than some LE version

#17 11 years ago

Looks almost exactly like Space Jam

#18 11 years ago

I got confirmation from Stern that there were less than 400 made. Many of which went oversea's to China as a machine to test in their market. However the Chinese version is watered down further with no spinning disc, no ramp divertor & wire form going over the playfield. Look at the pics on IPDB to compare for yourself.

So you could almost say the NBA's in the U.S. are more of the "Premium" version.

Also on the one I owned and sold to Nevus, there is a weird paper decal near the edge of the playfield with a serial number that says something like 354 (365). Makes me think they made 365 and Nevus' is #354.

#19 11 years ago

yep, i know about the chinese version...
and than, if that "less than 400" is including the chinese, that means even more that we have a quite rare pinball for sure !?
will check asap about the number on mine

#20 11 years ago

I was lucky enough to play one of these on location at a Taco Mac near the Mall of Georgia. It was pretty fun. When that ball launched and made the basket I was pleasantly surprised. I wish I had gotten more time on it though as the next time I went back (solely to play the game, mind you), it was nowhere to be found.

I think this is a great price for a rare, fun, newer Stern.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

a serial number that says something like 354 (365). Makes me think they made 365 and Nevus' is #354.

as we know than STERN didnt really pay attention while assembling parts (compare to numbers, thats the case for my/others TRON LE)

on mine, that paper said : NBA 51A9 revA 69465(364)cn#103 (the serial of the pin ?)
under playfield, a small single paper typewrited : "NBA 41" (the serial of the playfield ?)
and over the playfield under the apron, hand writed with pen : "221" (???)

2 weeks later
#22 11 years ago

This one is still available. A couple of folk have shown interest but were put off by NAVL shipping costs. If you have a large airport next to you, I can ship it Pilot Freight for almost half of NAVL costs.

6 months later
#23 11 years ago

Gary
Is your machine still available?
Saw sold title but last post?
Thanks
Steven

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salt Lake City, UT
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-stern-nba-2009 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.