coinmeter.jpg
Q24.jpg
knock.jpg
LOTR sling Kevin DArras.jpg
LOTR SLINGS KEVIND DARRAS.jpg
IMG_20140416_180053_457.jpg
IMG_20140416_180022_968.jpg
IMG_20140415_085235_623.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tekman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

If you have some basic skills, all you need to do is
1. Wire a 5v relay coil to the existing connector(by the tilt mech).
2. Solder a wire to the hot side of a 50v coil and bring it down to one side of the knocker coil.
3. Run a wire from the other side of the knocker to the N.O. (normally open) relay contact.
4. Run other (common) relay contact to metal power box(by coin box) and terminate under one of the screws for ground.

Don't forget you also need a snubber/flyback diode across the relay if it's not built in. Any 1N400x diode will work for this application.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

In this case, the protection diode across the relay coil in not needed, because protection is already built in, in Stern's driver circuit. Although, it probably wouldn't do any harm to have one in there, as long as it's pointing towards the +5v (banded end toward the red wire), so I added one to the picture.
There is also, a protection diode across the Knocker, since it would protect the relay contacts.

The Q24 drive is designed to be used with +20V solenoid circuit and only protected in that combination through D24. This circuit is being switched through Q24 and power supplied by +5V in a different circuit will require a snubber diode to protect the +5V. Correct?

Q24.jpgQ24.jpg
#36 9 years ago
Quoted from mspaeth:

Or you can do what my boards do and use a 24V relay connected to the 20V supply so the current paths stay in the local circuit.
(...and I load a redundant diode on the relay driver board anyway, just in case...)

As we all have seen, there's many ways to do the same thing.

I see KenH added the diode to his circuit.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

I tend to agree with you, that the snubber should be included. But Stern's schematic in the manual showing a 5V coin meter (basically the same as the relay we're using to trigger the knocker) shows no snubber. I don't have 100% faith in that, as they could have inadvertently left the diode out on their schematic.
At any rate, it should be safe to add it in--even if it *might* not be needed.

It's not in the schematic because the diode is incorporated in with the optional coin meter assembly.
PN# G-0053-013-102 - Meter (diode included) with mounting bracket

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tekman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-stern-lotr-knocker-kits-90?tu=Tekman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.