Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mg81
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bag of stuff-56.jpg
playfield.jpg
boards.jpg
front.jpg
right side.jpg
left side.jpg
back glass.jpg

#1 4 years ago

This is a machine I picked up as a project. I always wanted a Space Shuttle, I have fond memories of playing it when I was younger. But with the birth of my son I am realizing that I will not have anytime in the near future for another project pin. So I am hoping this pin can find a home where it can get up and running and be enjoyed. Space Shuttle is a really great pin and I don't want to part this machine out.

-This pin is complete.
-The backglass looks good.
-I have a big bag of spare parts for the playfield.
-The plastics look to be in good shape.
-The boards also look to be in good shape. The CPU puts up gibberish on the diagnostic LED, I don't know what is wrong with it. Refurbished CPUs are available and resale market for dead CPUs appears strong if you need to get a new one the sale of the old one should cover a lot of the cost of a refurbished one.

The playfield has a lot of wear, but it could still be played and enjoyed as is or touched up, not a complex paint scheme. If you wanted to learn to do touch up this would be an ideal machine.

This machine is filthy, I am sorry I don't have the time to clean it up some. I think it will look far more presentable with just a good cleaning. I was surprised how good the plastics looked with just a quick wipe with a cleaning cloth.

The game is located in Bellefonte, PA 16823

jacksonpollack@ gmail.com or send me a PM

back glass.jpg
left side.jpg
right side.jpg
front.jpg
boards.jpg
playfield.jpg
bag of stuff-56.jpg

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Logistical failure bump

Shipping is a bitch. =|

#6 4 years ago

In Soviet Russia, bitch is a shipping.

#7 4 years ago

Drivin distance for me....

#8 4 years ago

I was originally going past there in a few months.

#9 4 years ago

Not sure if playfields are still out there for these...I think the CPR run pretty much dried up....

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Not sure if playfields are still out there for these...I think the CPR run pretty much dried up....

You could always dive into playfield restoration and airbrushing

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

You could always dive into playfield restoration and airbrushing

Hell no...that's definitely a line I'm not crossing

#12 4 years ago

Would love one of these as a project, too bad mapping says 240 mile ride.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Would love one of these as a project, too bad mapping says 240 mile ride.

I'm picking up a project space shuttle today and have about 90 more miles left of 330 mile one way trip. C'mon, 240 miles isn't even one tank of gas...

#14 4 years ago

Good seller... Ask him what you want and he will fill you in. 100% honest seller. He has nothing to hide. Just ask and you shall receive...

#15 4 years ago

Still available.

I have been talking to many different potential buyers but no deal has been made. Distance seems to be the biggest problem.

If you are interested, please don't hesitate to contact me. All offers are welcome and encouraged (trades, buy now but pick up later when you are in the area, etc)

#16 4 years ago

Man, if I wasn't house shopping, I'd be all over this. I'm about 15 miles away. Hard...to...resist...

#17 4 years ago

Someone needs to turn this Space Shittle into a Space Shuttle.

#18 4 years ago

is your name really Jackson Pollock?

#19 4 years ago

I'd be all over this if it wasn't for the play-field condition. I hope someone with the skill to touch up the art snags it.

#20 4 years ago

If I owned a truck, I would do the 7 hr round trip. This is my favorite era for pins, and I'd want to keep this one after I had finished restoring it.

#21 4 years ago

I am not saying that it would be incredibly easy to touch up this playfield. But most of the areas with wear are fairly simple art work, so freehand painting them would be reasonable to do. Also the insert writing looks good, so no need to worry about that.

If I were going to keep the pin I would follow the excellent advice given by Vid in his playfield restoration thread with regards to paint recommendations and using a hair dryer to set the paints. In a leisurely afternoon of work you should be able to touch up the paint. You can then put on a full playfield mylar to seal in the paint. This way you are not committed to any of the work you did if you are not comfortable with your touch-up abilities. You can always go back and pull the mylar and wipe off the paint you put on with a damp cloth.

I was surprised how quickly I was able to do decent looking touch ups with very little practice. Just get tiny (tiny, tiny) brushes and spend most of your time mixing the paint to get the right color. My touch-ups don't look great if you get out a magnifying glass and look at them. But if you are just casually playing you don't see them. Getting the right paint color is what takes all of the time, slowly adding one drop at a time between through mixing. The actual application of the paint takes very little time.

#22 4 years ago

Sounds simple - you should just touch it up and then raise your selling price.

#23 4 years ago

8hr from me to PA. Otherwise, you'd have a deal. I want a project and enjoy this game. Hope you can sell it soon!

#24 4 years ago

CrazyLevi, it is certainly not a "simple" job. But I think an amateur could do a decent job if they put in the time. If I did the work it would at best be a so-so job. The kind of playfield that I would not mind owning but not the kind of work that would raise the value more than $100 on a good day. Generally I find any restoration work that I do is a very poor return on my time, I only do it for pins that I plan on keeping. I like doing the work but I am not going to fool myself into thinking I am good enough to do restoration work that adds real value.

If I really wanted to get a higher price I would sell the current MPU board and buy a warranted refurbished MPU and make the pin a booting project pin. It seems like more people are willing to buy a project that mostly works but looks rough than the other way around.

I know when I started out collecting I was always looking for projects like this, but all I could seem to find were pins that had already been "restored" and had a corresponding high price. I think this pin is ideal for someone who wants to enjoy this pin for themselves and save some money by doing the work themselves, work that I think many enthusiasts find enjoyable.

#25 4 years ago

SOLD

I will keep it if it won't sell at this price, which I think is a bargain. I could never find complete project pins of desirable titles like this one when I was looking for them.

I would really like someone else to be able to enjoy this pin instead of me letting it sit in storage, likely for years, until I have some time to fix it up.

1 week later
#26 4 years ago

Still available. I just put an ad up on Craigslist but I would greatly prefer to sell it to someone on Pinside.

#27 4 years ago

If you were close to me or if I had a way to get it here without paying as much for shipping as the machine, it would be mine. Good luck with your sale.

#28 4 years ago

Will you be attending PAPA/be able to bring it there?

#29 4 years ago

Gotta think about this

#31 4 years ago

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to make it to PAPA this year.

1 week later
#32 4 years ago

SOLD

Thank you everyone

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside