(Topic ID: 66052)

FS : Red & Ted's Road Show : nice shape!

By dmklunk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RS Decal.jpg
RS Original Art.jpg
dmklunk RS.jpg
IMG_0195.JPG
Brontosaurus_(PSF).jpg
jp-scull-2-articleInline.jpg
fish_touch_up.jpg
fish_normal.jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Very nice Red & Ted's Road Show pinball. Diamond Plate playfield shines beautifully. One small wear spot at the kickout but it appears to have been touched up and covered with a piece of mylar to preserve it (please see pictures & use your own discretion). The machine also has the Cliffy protector at the kickout to prevent any damage in the kickout area. Cabinet has one or two nicks, but other than that, it is very nice as well. Working 100%. The machine is located at my home just outside of New Oxford, PA (near Gettysburg & Hanover) on the main floor right near the front door for easy pickup. Also open to trades (straight up or +/- cash). Please feel free to contact me for more information or to make an offer. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Price is now $3250 OBO.
Pictures are at http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/dmklunk/library/Road%20Show%20pics

1 week later
#2 10 years ago

Bump! Please contact me with any questions. I am open to trades (+/- cash as needed) as well.

Thanks!

Derek

#3 10 years ago

This pin is not "nearly perfect", it is not "home use only", and it sure isn't 'collector quality", but it is a fairly decent looking example. You're not doing yourself any favors by making unsustainable claims. For one thing, it looks like it was given after-market decals which subsequently has faded, indicating that it has seen some long and heavy usage along the way.

Take some better/more revealing pics in good ligthting, be more factual in your description of the game (both good and bad), and adjust your price to a realistic representation of your game's fair market value. I think you would then sell itself fairly quick as it is a beautiful classic Pat Lawler wide-body that many pinheads would love to get their hands on. No offense intended. GLWS.

Bump.

#4 10 years ago

Agree with pins for fun. Op, you are asking fur abuse. It's a nice game but not collector quality. QC doesn't have that bad touch up.

#6 10 years ago

The fish touch up job is almost not true to the original either and the mouth is completely changed too. Here is what it is supposed to look like:

fish_normal.jpgfish_normal.jpg

This is what it looks like on the game for sale. Sorry just wanted to point out in case someone didn't know and only to find out after they bought it.

fish_touch_up.jpgfish_touch_up.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Happy fish, sad fish. YIKES!

#8 10 years ago

Wow thats pretty sad. The guy didnt have have a steady hand. Probably didnt bother to look online to see what the fish was supposed to look like either.

#9 10 years ago

It is collector quality, just depends what type of collector it is

#10 10 years ago

OP: impossible for a game to be classified as CQ when it has:

1. Ball-drop wear.
2. Presence of unaddressed shooter lane wear.
3. An amateur insert repair (irregular blackline painted with a shaky hand).
4. PF Fish repair done with artist guessing what might have been there.

For a game to be CQ, it would either have to be a low-play survivor or restored to factory standards or higher--no obvious wear-issues in either case.

#11 10 years ago

Yikes ... the fish's lower jaw was surgically removed!

This is a KILLER when it comes to Roadshow. Sorry OP, you're looking at a sub $2k Roadshow at best.

#12 10 years ago

His last 4 FS threads all read the same as this one

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

This is a KILLER when it comes to roadshow. Sorry OP, you're looking at a sub $2k roadshow at best.

I don't know, this could still be a 2k-2.5k Roadshow...nowhere close to a 3.75k Road Show, however...

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I don't know, this could still be a 2k-2.5k roadshow...nowhere close to a 3.75k Road Show, however...

To each his own. I think there's plenty of ~2-2.5k Roadshows out there without the dreaded fish wear. I could be wrong ... mine is a HUO RS, and I wouldn't expect close to $4k for mine, and in the NY Metro pin market.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

OP: it's impossible for a game to be CQ when it has:

4. PF Fish repair done with artist guessing what might have been there.

I think the same artist that did the fish did this...

jp-scull-2-articleInline.jpgjp-scull-2-articleInline.jpg

I found some of his earlier work also...

Brontosaurus_(PSF).jpgBrontosaurus_(PSF).jpg

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

This is a KILLER when it comes to roadshow. Sorry OP, you're looking at a sub $2k roadshow at best.

Tell me about it.. I think I did a good job on mine and I barely got 1800 for it.

IMG_0195.JPGIMG_0195.JPG

Funny though, looking at it, the surgically altered fish looks more like a fish than the one in Road Show.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

it is not "home use only", and it sure isn't 'collector quality"

I didn't say it was HUO, I said I assumed it was. And I did truly assume it was until I saw some of the posts on this thread. As I said in my TAF for sale thread, "collector quality", just like "fully shopped", is open to interpretation; everybody has their own opinion. I'm not that picky of a collector but apparently many others are.

Quoted from pins4fun:

after-market decals

I don't think that they are faded. Whether or not they're aftermarket is up to the buyer's discretion -- I don't know how to tell the difference without having the two side by side.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

The fish touch up job is almost not true to the original either and the mouth is completely changed too. Here is what it is supposed to look like: (attachment)

This is what it looks like on the game for sale. (attachment) Sorry just wanted to point out in case someone didn't know and only to find out after they bought it.

I had no idea that the fish actually had a bottom jaw -- I just assumed by looking at mine that it was a fish with a closed mouth.

Just for the record, I had no part in the touch-up. It was done by someone (probably long before me) because it was that way when we bought it.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

His last 4 FS threads all read the same as this one

What do you mean they read the same? They read very similarly because I'm the one who wrote all four of them. I try to stick to a solid, uniform template when writing up FS threads so that I remember to include all of the important information. But each one pertains to its own game; I didn't copy & paste the same write-up in all four ads.

#20 10 years ago

I don't know...to me "collector's quality" isn't really up to interpretation. When I think collector's quality, I think pretty much near perfection. I don't own collector's quality pins, but I know what one is...

#21 10 years ago

Maybe you're right... Thread title edited to reflect the change. Thanks for the input!

#22 10 years ago

Sure...GLWS! Road Show is a great pin...1st one I ever owned

#23 10 years ago

Sounds like the new "collector quality" standard is new in box. Even my NIB STID has a few minor imperfections like an almost invisible scratch on the translite. (Need magnifying glass to see it.)

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Sounds like the new "collector quality" standard is new in box. Even my NIB STID has a few minor imperfections like an almost invisible scratch on the translite. (Need magnifying glass to see it.)

Yeah, I agree. By today's standards, "collector quality" is pretty hard to come by.
Either way, I am open to offers on the RS.
Thanks to all for the input.

Derek

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

I think you are right. I have had some people look at some of my games hoping to find a CQ.
Out came lights, head magnifying visors, etc.
By those standards that were expected, my NIB, WOZ, or Xmen, would not be CQ.
So What is CQ, the best 1% off a production and never played with?

Not to Hijack..... Road Show is an Incredible game and worth any collection to have....GLWS

#26 10 years ago

Not bad having a FS thread hijacked...lots of bumps

I guess collector quality does mean things to different people. In my opinion, the percentage of collector quality pins out there would be really small. Needless to say, this RS was not collector quality. Maybe it is time the term collector quality just goes away all together

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

There are certain terms on here that are very likely to get a fs thread in trouble. The moment some people see the terms "collector quality" and "mint" (just to name a couple), or sellers comparing games to other restorers, they are going to go through the pics and find issues. It's been that way for awhile. From my experience, it's best just to avoid it altogether.

#28 10 years ago

Honestly, I go to "FS CQ" type posts because I like close to perfect games and they pique my interest.

I would like to one day add a RS as its a great game and sad I sold mine.

No big deal if its not, and honestly I know some very well respected people on Pinside that wouldnt know a CQ pin if it fell on them... and then you have the opposite, that think CQ goes to the microscopic level.

The only issue here is his one is just weeeeeeeellll beyond many of the descriptive words used in the original ad. That said, its worth what someone will pay for it.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Honestly, I go to "FS CQ" type posts because I like close to perfect games and they pique my interest.
No big deal if its not, and honestly I know some very well respected people on Pinside that wouldnt know a CQ pin if it fell on them... and then you have the opposite, that think CQ goes to the microscopic level.
The only issue here is his one is just weeeeeeeellll beyond many of the descriptive words used in the original ad. That said, its worth what someone will pay for it.

I like to look at them as well. But Im not sure if I've ever seen a CQ post that didn't run into some trouble. I actually think even if a NIB game was described as collector quality, people would start finding problems with the box.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Joe - you can have first dibs if my CQ RS ever goes up for sale. I'd also consider temporary trades if you're into that sort of thing. Though RS is my wife & daughter's favorite pin ... I might be up for a battle if I ever try to sell it. I still catch heat for selling my CQ Hurricane.

Regards,

Brian

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from dmklunk:

Maybe you're right... Thread title edited to reflect the change. Thanks for the input!

Thumbs up for you for taking the high road and not getting pissed. Seriously good luck with your sale.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

The only issue here is his one is just weeeeeeeellll beyond many of the descriptive words used in the original ad.

Original post has been edited to (hopefully) reflect a more detailed description of the machine. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Derek

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from dmklunk:

Original post has been edited to (hopefully) reflect a more detailed description of the machine. Thanks for the input, everyone!
Derek

You may want to consider editing the asking price also as it is WAY out of line for the condition of the machine. I know as I just bought a MUCH nicer example for substantially less.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from dmklunk:

I don't think that they are faded. Whether or not they're aftermarket is up to the buyer's discretion -- I don't know how to tell the difference without having the two side by side.

Here they are, side by side: (the one in the middle with the border is the original art)

dmklunk RS.jpgdmklunk RS.jpg
RS Original Art.jpgRS Original Art.jpg
RS Decal.jpgRS Decal.jpg

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You may want to consider editing the asking price also as it is WAY out of line for the condition of the machine. I know as I just bought a MUCH nicer example for substantially less.

Not price policing but.......if you lower the description the price should follow accordingly. A CQ might be 3700, though by your own admission this is not.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

Here they are, side by side: (the one in the middle with the border is the original art)

dmklunk RS.jpg 127 KB

RS Original Art.jpg 206 KB

RS Decal.jpg 149 KB

Never knew that about the head art. I guess mine is original. My previous one must have had decals as they went to the end....

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I sold mine with no fish wear and in very nice condition everywhere else. For $2600.....

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I sold mine with no fish wear and in very nice condition everywhere else. For $2600.....

Sounds like a good price.

#39 10 years ago

Friend price.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from dmklunk:

Either way, I am open to offers on the RS.

He said he'll take offers so if you have interest throw him an offer. Keep his FS thread on topic.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

He said he'll take offers so if you have interest throw him an offer. Keep his FS thread on topic.

Hey, thanks
Sorry guys, but he's right -- that's why I put OBO on my stuff. I don't list low because, quite frankly, I don't need/want someone to flip it off of me. Now, if someone comes in and makes me a realistic offer, fine. They've got my attention. That's something I can consider.

I'm about to the point where I'm gonna quit posting prices on FS threads and just say "make an offer" or "PM me for price". Period. That would at least keep price police away.

Now a *real* potential buyer who visits this thread isn't even going to bother making an offer after reading through this. I guess forums really aren't the place to sell games.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

How long ago?

#43 10 years ago

Speculation is the head came two ways from Williams:

One with decals trimmed about a half inch back from all 4 sides of the head--and another version with artwork all the way to all 4 sides of the head:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/road$20show$20backbox$20decals/rec.games.pinball/-nMn2365xtY/AYcPoUzqpzoJ

(RGP link might be messed up because of the new Google Groups, here's a key post from Phoenix Arcade

"phoenixarcade.com

3/4/06

- show quoted text -

i have both sets of films in my possession right now and was discussing
this very thing last week when i was at ipb. here is a pic of the
artists original drawing in negative form. if you look closely you can
see he wrote some notes. but its nothing to explain the 2 versions
though

http://members.aol.com/azarcadegames/roadshow.jpg

when reprints were made williams/bally often used different printing
companies than the original printer usually for timing purposes, not
quality. this is factual based on the records and notes i have read.
wms kept incredible records, youd have to see it to believe it. in some
cases the artist made comments to them about the final product and when
the reprint was done changes were made. in other cases the films were
misplaced/mishandled/lost and they had to output new film and without
specifications some judgement calls were made.

perhaps with roadshow (and this is sheer specualtion), the reprint was
done by another company and no films were available for them on the
backbox. maybe they havent printed backboxes before and made a
judgement call to print within the backbox. i could not find any other
documentation. maybe someone else knows the real answer.

i found 5 revisions for cftbl playfields. i honestly didnt spend any
time looking for the reasons why and which revisions were used."

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

One with decals trimmed about a half inch back from all 4 sides of the head--and another version with artwork all the way to all 4 sides of the head:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/road$20show$20backbox$20decals/rec.games.pinball/-nMn2365xtY/AYcPoUzqpzoJ

I really thought that my cabinet was original. At least this opens up the possibility. Thanks for the link/reference NM.

#45 10 years ago

Mine had decals that went all the way to the edge and there was no way it was re-recalled so it must have been produced both ways. (I always assumed the ones with the border were repros)

#46 10 years ago

The data base for Road Show has the flyer picture showing no border for head decals. Dont know if they did both kinds though.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Mine had decals that went all the way to the edge and there was no way it was re-recalled so it must have been produced both ways. (I always assumed the ones with the border were repros)

This is what I thought as well. I've seen and played a bunch of RS machines and none of them had the border. I really thought, "wow, no way those were ALL redecaled", haha.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

(RGP link might be messed up because of the new Google Groups, here's a key post from Phoenix Arcade
"phoenixarcade.com
3/4/06
- show quoted text -
i have both sets of films in my possession right now and was discussing
this very thing last week when i was at ipb. here is a pic of the
artists original drawing in negative form. if you look closely you can
see he wrote some notes. but its nothing to explain the 2 versions
though
http://members.aol.com/azarcadegames/roadshow.jpg
when reprints were made williams/bally often used different printing
companies than the original printer usually for timing purposes, not
quality. this is factual based on the records and notes i have read.
wms kept incredible records, youd have to see it to believe it. in some
cases the artist made comments to them about the final product and when
the reprint was done changes were made. in other cases the films were
misplaced/mishandled/lost and they had to output new film and without
specifications some judgement calls were made.
perhaps with roadshow (and this is sheer specualtion), the reprint was
done by another company and no films were available for them on the
backbox. maybe they havent printed backboxes before and made a
judgement call to print within the backbox. i could not find any other
documentation. maybe someone else knows the real answer.
i found 5 revisions for cftbl playfields. i honestly didnt spend any
time looking for the reasons why and which revisions were used."

Here's the Treasure Cove October 2005 Road Show restoration:

http://www.treasure-cove.net/Road%20Show_1.htm

"Closeup of Backbox, ... no scratches or gouges"

"The cabinet needed just a few touchups (meaning original art, not licensed new decals".

These are the officially licensed NAPPA decals screen printed from the original factory films:

http://www.illinoispinball.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=62&products_id=3313

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

meaning original art, not licensed new decals

Right, but that doesn't mean that there weren't original cabinets that had the borderless art.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from dmklunk:

Right, but that doesn't mean that there weren't original cabinets that had the borderless art.

You've received a lot of publicity in this thread, just curious, have you received any offers yet ?

And, check this out:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-rs-road-show-and-f-14-york-show

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 63.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-red-teds-road-show-collector-quality/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.