You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFM.jpg
AP.jpg
image.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Title says it all. My buddy in North New Jersey, (not a pinside member, though i will make a donation in his name), is looking to finish house repairs and is selling a couple of pins. One of them is this proto AP. I can get pictures, though seeing it in person and picking it up is preferred. The price is $3500obo.
Thanks in advance.

mark

#2 10 years ago

Any idea on the differences of a proto AP? Never heard of one...

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Any idea on the differences of a proto AP? Never heard of one...

About 2K apparently. I keed I keed.

#4 10 years ago

Fat Bastard is naked. Austin and mini me are wearing different outfits. I would need to ask him for further details.

mark

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Fat Bastard is naked. Austin and mini me are wearing different outfits. I would need to ask him for further details.
mark

I think those are the only differences. If this is the machine at the Allentown show 2 years ago it was real nice.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Fat Bastard is naked.

That would reduce the value substantially in my eyes.

#7 10 years ago

:lol:GLWS!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

If this is the machine at the Allentown show 2 years ago it was real nice.

Yes, I believe it is the same pin and it was nice!

#9 10 years ago

It is the same machine and has remained with the same owner as well. Very minimal since allentown.

mk

#10 10 years ago

I have played this game. Has color changing speaker mod with groovy peace signs and color changing shooter rod. Very nice game that I wish I had room for.

#11 10 years ago

Maybe one day AP will get a little respect...after all, it's got IM's layout and MB's rules. It's a fun game.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

it's got IM's layout and MB's rules.

Unfortunately it also has Doodle Bug's flippers and slingshots. You're right though, there's a lot to like about the game despite its clunk.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Unfortunately it also has Doodle Bug's flippers and slingshots. You're right though, there's a lot to like about the game despite its clunk.

When I had mine it was very clean and I was pretty happy with the flipper strength...but it didn't have the snap of the current SAM games. I wonder if the PBL LOTR coils in AP would make it jam.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Had to LOL when I read that, I've always wanted to play this one having enjoyed the movies as a huge Bond fan.

Sounds like flipper and slingshot coils wouldn't be too hard to upgrade? The IM layout with MB rules has me intrigued now!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Sounds like flipper and slingshot coils wouldn't be too hard to upgrade? The IM layout with MB rules has me intrigued now!

IM was made when Stern was in extreme cost-cutting mode. The layout was literally an altered AP. The ramps are the same, except IM doesn't have the magnet divertor to the laser cannon that AP has. The center time machine shot was changed to a pops entrance. Austin Scoop was changed to Whiplash magnet area. Fat Bastard toilet was changed to Warmachine kickback. Ironmonger is a similar up/down bash toy like Dr. Evil...but Monger is a bit closer to the player, has a magnet, and is designed better.

The rules are a lot like MB cuz you light an insert every time you shoot a shot...when each shot has all its inserts lit, you start that shot's mode....and it's also a similar layout in many respects.

#16 10 years ago

AP is a very fun pin. Having owned both pins, i always thought AP has a very similar layout to AFM.

Some of the rules are very similar too. I personally feel that AP was Stern's attempt at copying AFM. Whenever I played AP, it reminded me so much of AFM, minus AFM's extra levels of gameplay/rules within the AFM layout and the left ramp instead of a toilet. I use to call it the poor man's AFM. LOL !! Play both games one after the other and you'll quickly see what I mean.

I apologize in advance if this subject has come up in the past and I missed it.

Take a look....

AP.jpgAP.jpg AFM.jpgAFM.jpg

#17 10 years ago

still available

#18 10 years ago

How about some pics.

#19 10 years ago

I will reach out for pics today. Happy 4th

#20 10 years ago

Austin Powers is Iron Man Le for anyone who wants them to make that

Seriously though, it's a very solid game, and one that should get more credit then it does. Rules are solid if you set it up tough... Fun game!

#21 10 years ago

Austin powers isn't a bad PLAYING game, but after so many years of people quoting that movie, and the same song playing over and over, it's a title most people overlook for the sound alone.

#22 10 years ago

I want to add AP to my collection one day. Never seems to be one local for sale.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Austin Powers isn't a bad PLAYING game, but after so many years of people quoting that movie, and the same song playing over and over, it's a title most people overlook for the sound alone.

Yeah, baby!!!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Austin Powers isn't a bad PLAYING game, but after so many years of people quoting that movie, and the same song playing over and over, it's a title most people overlook for the sound alone.

Some of the use of sound clips is pretty clever in relation to what's happening. I really like how when you start the Time Machine, one ball is held by the magnet (representing Dr. Evil), you hear the clip "Come, Mini-Me!"....the ball drops behind the time machine, then the 2nd ball (representing Mini-Me) launches and follows the other ball. It's subtle but clever.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When I had mine it was very clean and I was pretty happy with the flipper strength...but it didn't have the snap of the current SAM games. I wonder if the PBL LOTR coils in AP would make it jam.

I put in those coils and its crazy fast.

The problem is they are too strong on the center shot

Need to just make them a tiny bit less strong. Also set the pulse to soft and still get air balls off the ramp

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Need to just make them a tiny bit less strong.

I can do that if there is interest. Send me a note here and we can work it out. Sorry to hijack your for sale thread!

Andrew

#27 10 years ago

Never played a Austin powers people say its Terrable what your verdict

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Never played a Austin Powers people say its Terrable what your verdict

The verdict is go start your own thread, people say lots of things go get your own mind and come back mate.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe one day AP will get a little respect...after all, it's got IM's layout and MB's rules. It's a fun game.

I played two games on it for about an hour or so. It was alot of fun. I can't speak to last ability or rulesets but it was something I'd definitely play again.

#30 10 years ago

Game is very fun. It's a lot like Iron Man with a ton of multi balls and 2 cool wizard modes.

#31 10 years ago

Seems like the critical consensus on Austin Powers might be turning around. 10k by xmas.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I played two games on it for about an hour or so. It was alot of fun. I can't speak to last ability or rulesets but it was something I'd definitely play again.

It's very multiball heavy, so as you get better at pinball it can become a bit of an easy/long game. When I owned it I wasn't as good...so - I think it's a great game for newer players or players that don't want a game to punish them. Good layout, objectives are easy to understand, it's got humor, and the price is right.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's very multiball heavy, so as you get better at pinball it can become a bit of an easy/long game.

Yup, and therein lies the problem - if you don't set it up HARD, it has a lot of very safe shots. Set it up nasty and it is like a slightly less mean Iron Man with a lot more stuff on the playfield.

#34 10 years ago

Long weekend bump

#35 10 years ago

Pictures please

3 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

This game is sold.

#37 10 years ago

Very confused. Did the steward of this thread change? Mark?

#38 10 years ago

The game is sold. Yzfguy knows the seller as well. The banzai is still available.

Mk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-proto-stern-austin-powers-huo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.