Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3243.JPG
price-police-2.jpg
image-180.jpg
image-77.jpg
IMG_1777.JPG

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

come on, nobody has ever used this tactic on you yet?

the few pins I have had shipped and then sold later, I have not considered those as being part of my intitial cost. Similarly when I drive 10hrs to get a game I never factor in my gas/time.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the few pins I have had shipped and then sold later, I have not considered those as being part of my intitial cost. Similarly when I drive 10hrs to get a game I never factor in my gas/time.

Right, but why not? I probably think about these things the same way, but it seems like a little game we play to hide the true cost we paid from ourselves.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

A possibility. New poster, new account.

This isn't fake. I've met the owner, he was looking at buying my MB but wanted to sell this first. He's a really nice guy that paid a premium on a game he thought he wanted.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Right, but why not? I probably think about these things the same way, but it seems like a little game we play to hide the true cost we paid from ourselves.

Imagine how much this inflates the prices of pins if carried out consistently. My TZ has changed hands perhaps five times (to be conservative). If I had to pay shipping for those previous five moves, it would add perhaps $1,000-2,000 to the price (and that's not counting my own shipping costs). I just don't think it is fair to expect someone else to cover previous owners' shipping. That cost is incidental to the value of the pin.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think you just can't factor that in. I'm sure we have all done stupid things...driving a thousand miles to pick up a pin. You can't pass that along to the next guy. That's just something that's the cost of ownership on things.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

since WHEN is shipping you paid now included in a sales price???
WTH?

Huh?

Since...I don't know......FOREVER?

Any NIB pin from Stern that I've got a quote on ALWAYS includes the "shipped" price. When I go to sell, I always consider what I or anyone else would have had to pay for the pin new. Then discount accordingly for the current market and no longer being NIB etc.

But more to the point: If I bought a NIB pin from Stern and paid $6.5K shipped, and something came up requiring me to sell before opening it, you can damn well bet that I'm going to ask close to $6.5k for the game. If someone local wants the pin, they'd have to pay close to the same price for a NIB since they'd have to pay shipping too. So why wouldn't you ask for the total shipped price paid, or close to it?

Shipping is part of the cost of a NIB pin.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Huh?
Since...I don't know......FOREVER?
Any NIB pin from Stern that I've got a quote on ALWAYS includes the "shipped" price. When I go to sell, I always consider what I or anyone else would have had to pay for the pin new. Then discount accordingly for the current market and no longer being NIB etc.
But more to the point: If I bought a NIB pin from Stern and paid $6.5K shipped, and something came up requiring me to sell before opening it, you can damn well bet that I'm going to ask close to $6.5k for the game. If someone local wants the pin, they'd have to pay close to the same price for a NIB since they'd have to pay shipping too. So why wouldn't you ask for the total shipped price paid, or close to it?
Shipping is part of the cost of a NIB pin.

The key to your statement is "If someone local wants the pin".

But if you aren't selling it local, you're having your buyer pay for shipping twice. That would be the reason not to do it this way. Of course anybody is entitled to set any price they want on a game they are selling - but the purchaser in this arrangement (if not local) is NOT getting the same price as the original purchaser (the seller), as they are paying for the shipping to the seller and the shipping to themselves.

#58 9 years ago

Seller can ask whatever he likes for the pin, if it sells it sells.. if it does not he can reduce the price if he decides to, or just keep it..

Free market system..

Good luck on the sale, hopefully you do OK with it./

#59 9 years ago

price-police-2.jpgprice-police-2.jpg

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The key to your statement is "If someone local wants the pin".

But if you aren't selling it local, you're having your buyer pay for shipping twice. That would be the reason not to do it this way.

Exactly correct.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from cruzinpin:

Purchased from Little Shop in Florida and shipped to CA. Don't have to sell but it will be a while before our room is done so better to give someone that really wants one the chance to own it

Thank God you don't have to sell, cause at that price you don't have much of a chance of anything but keeping it....forever. Unless of course Karl Urban and Chris Pine deliver it to your door and sign the backglass & playfield for ya. Even then.....yaaa no.

#62 9 years ago

bunch of old busy body women, if you don't want the pin click on another thread......if its over priced he will figure it out later.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from smoke:

bunch of old busy body women

How did you know I was a busy body woman?

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

How did you know I was a busy body woman?

You forgot "old"

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You forgot "old"

lol. Forgive me I'm old.

#66 9 years ago

To fetch that kind of asking price you'll definitely have to go eBay and/or Craigslist. Ya never know, you might get lucky. Stranger things have happened (Like $200 MM's or $5k SWE1's)

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Thank God you don't have to sell, cause at that price you don't have much of a chance of anything but keeping it....forever. Unless of course Karl Urban and Chris Pine deliver it to your door and sign the backglass & playfield for ya. Even then.....yaaa no.

Lol. I wouldn't pay $5 for those autographs. If I opened the box and Zoe Saldana was inside THAT would be worth something.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

To fetch that kind of asking price you'll definitely have to go eBay and/or Craigslist. Ya never know, you might get lucky. Stranger things have happened (Like $200 MM's or $5k SWE1's)

I agree. Pinside people are price-informed, but Ebay might land you a rich dummy impulse buy. This is why distributors list their NIB overstock on Ebay for full MSRP, or more. People actually buy it!

#69 9 years ago

Even though no one on here will believe me, I figure at least for the OP's sake that I should post that I personally sold my ST-LE to a random guy off CL who posted a "WTB Star Trek - Any Model" for $8750. It had a few mods and Steve Ritchie had signed the backglass. This deal was made approximately 4 months ago.

(Flame suit on but I don't really care since the deal is done and money is in the bank )

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Even though no one on here will believe me, I figure at least for the OP's sake that I should post that I personally sold my ST-LE to a random guy off CL who posted a "WTB Star Trek - Any Model" for $8750. It had a few mods and Steve Ritchie had signed the backglass. This deal was made approximately 4 months ago.
(Flame suit on but I don't really care since the deal is done and money is in the bank )

Fair enough, as long as you didn't factor your shipping costs into that price ...

#71 9 years ago

Hey is this still available?

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Fair enough, as long as you didn't factor your shipping costs into that price ...

lol...best quote of the thread.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Shoulda played the Powerball the same day then.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

It's fun taking advantage of "random guys off CL" isn't it?

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

This isn't fake. I've met the owner, he was looking at buying my MB but wanted to sell this first. He's a really nice guy that paid a premium on a game he thought he wanted.

Ok. My apologies. Glwts OP.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

WTH?

He didn't say "sales price," he said he wants to get out what he has into it which is not a lie. He's entitled to ask what he wants as is everyone else on this site.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's fun taking advantage of "random guys off CL" isn't it?

The funny thing is, I wasn't looking to sell it. I really enjoy the game so I threw out my "I'll only let it go for this" price. He liked the extras included but more importantly wanted it same day and was willing to pay a premium. In the end, everyone was happy and he loves the game.

#78 9 years ago

Sorry for your loss..............This is worth $7200-$7500

1 week later
#79 9 years ago

I knew full well that i was paying a solid $1000 too much for that stle...but like FT said, i wanted it that day, liked the extras, and only pulled the the trigger because he took the time to have Steve sign the glass...essentially making it the only one in the world just like that...Plus, during that time 4 months ago and even now today, there aren't many stle's up for sale locally and not having to ship does add value for some.....And back to the signature thing (which is why i actually bought it) was that i funded this stle by unloading a collection of MJ signed memorabilia on ebay that i was into for about a couple grand by way of a trade when MJ was alive and well....I call it my $2k stleDSCN3243.JPGDSCN3243.JPG

#80 9 years ago

^^^ Great username.

#81 9 years ago

Congrats on your new game, it looks great! Definitely one of my favorites!

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I knew full well that i was paying a solid $1000 too much for that stle...but like FT said, i wanted it that day, liked the extras, and only pulled the the trigger because he took the time to have Steve sign the glass...essentially making it the only one in the world just like that...Plus, during that time 4 months ago and even now today, there aren't many stle's up for sale locally and not having to ship does add value for some.....And back to the signature thing (which is why i actually bought it) was that i funded this stle by unloading a collection of MJ signed memorabilia on ebay that i was into for about a couple grand by way of a trade when MJ was alive and well....I call it my $2k stle

YES!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to pinside dude!!!!

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

WTH?

You guys must not be used to figuring cost basis for capital gains/losses. Shipping is included in basis. Do it any other way and you're not taking enough of a loss or paying taxes on more gains than you should. And if you're not declaring these transactions at all...well that's sorta illegal

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

You guys must not be used to figuring cost basis for capital gains/losses. Shipping is included in basis. Do it any other way and you're not taking enough of a loss or paying taxes on more gains than you should. And if you're not declaring these transactions at all...well that's sorta illegal

You must not know anything about the difference between sales price and cost basis.

#85 9 years ago

I'd need proof you paid $8600 for this game, like a pic of the receipt with personal info redacted. If you indeed paid $8600 for it and want to sell it for $8600 im not sure what all the hoopla is about. If you paid $7600 for it and want to sell it for $8600, you obviously can do that, but I don't like it.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If you indeed paid $8600 for it and want to sell it for $8600 im not sure what all the hoopla is about

The hoopla is you can pay 15k for it. Its not selling for that today so who cares. Market price is what it is regardless.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I'd need proof you paid $8600 for this game, like a pic of the receipt with personal info redacted. If you indeed paid $8600 for it and want to sell it for $8600 im not sure what all the hoopla is about. If you paid $7600 for it and want to sell it for $8600, you obviously can do that, but I don't like it.

What if he paid $15k?

What if he got if for free?

Neither should make any difference to a potential buyer.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Not for me. Live in NH

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You must not know anything about the difference between sales price and cost basis.

Sale price is immaterial. Cost is material. Even mileage is deductible as part of cost basis (and should be included in cost). As mentioned earlier, any other math is self-delusion, aka "for the wife" math. The way some people move machines in and out around here, you'd think they'd want to take the loss deductions, especially if their top bracket is as high as it appears

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Not for me. Live in NH

Federal return. Unless NH ceded the Union during my last nap?

#91 9 years ago

The question I would like to know: what the current demand for a STLE? It's an excellent game and sold out at Stern, the Pro and Premium models are still available. So unless demand for a LE is high, getting even $8000 is unlikely.

The best thing to do, is to either sell the NIB STLE for as much as possible ($7000-$7500?), which would be a loss of at least $1000, or to hold it until Stern stops producing all Star Trek games (in about a year?), in the hopes that demand will appreciate the NIB STLE.

#92 9 years ago

It makes a difference to me because when I buy pins the character of the seller means just as much as the pin itself. If he says he purchased for $8600 but then can't produce a receipt but someone is selling for $9000 and can show a receipt id rather buy it from them. This is hypothetical as I'm not in the market for an $8600 game. A lot of folks formulas to buy a pin is price + condition but the seller's characters and ethics are just as important. I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but the buyer has hardly ever feedback points and is using a new account. Who can really vouch for him?

Besides that I have my own bias I'm still trying to define but I definitely don't like people who buy NIB LE games and store them as investments. I think hobbyists are apart of the Pinball economy but there are also a lot of other people and transactions that are apart of the economy I'm not a fan of.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

It makes a difference to me because when I buy pins the character of the seller means just as much as the pin itself.

LOL. This is you!

https://screen.yahoo.com/sentimental-value-pawn-shop-000000120.html

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Sale price is immaterial. Cost is material. Even mileage is deductible as part of cost basis (and should be included in cost). As mentioned earlier, any other math is self-delusion, aka "for the wife" math. The way some people move machines in and out around here, you'd think they'd want to take the loss deductions, especially if their top bracket is as high as it appears

You must not know the definition of material and immaterial either. Haha

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You must not know the definition of material and immaterial either. Haha

Agreed

#97 9 years ago

I don't care what the seller paid for a game I am buying.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Federal return. Unless NH ceded the Union during my last nap?

On a private sale? They can try to chase me down. Taxes smaxes.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

On a private sale? They can try to chase me down. Taxes smaxes.

Yes that's a position one can take. Just make sure you don't tell any out of work friends or neighbors.

"Whistleblower - Informant Award

The IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects."
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Whistleblower-Informant-Award

And of course it would be foolish to only file the losses

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

Yes that's a position one can take. Just make sure you don't tell any out of work friends or neighbors.
"Whistleblower - Informant Award
The IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects."
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Whistleblower-Informant-Award
And of course it would be foolish to only file the losses

Isn't "Do Not Whistleblow on a fellow Pinsider" one of the site rules. Also talking about the IRS and taxes violates the rule of coming to Pinside to have fun.

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nib-stern-star-trek-le-8600/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.