Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by icryfire
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I think that Gene loved the status that owning them brought. If you said to him that you really liked a machine, chances were very high that he had it. He also knew that a lot of people were really impressed when he told them that he had a collection of more than 800 machines (which it was at one time).
He was always willing to deal, but his prices were always pretty inflated. I believe that was because of the status that went with owning the machines, he needed a really good reason to part with that status, which would in turn only earn him more status. If you have 800 machines and you're selling the hunk of garbage you got above market prices, then that is worth it - I can flip them for more than you can! But, if you can't it eliminates that.
In many ways, I think that Gene's life revolved around Gene trying to set up a legacy for himself. He wanted to be known as the guy with the largest pinball collection, the guy who could always make a great deal, and who would run a very successful pinball company when the others could no longer make it.
I think more than anything, that's why he owned as many machines as he did. The human condition is an interesting thing. Sad, really.

I agree with this assessment. Gene reminds me of several family members actually. Not everyone is in a hobby/business to make bucks, Gene just likes to possess things. I toured his collection while it was still cool, while he still had the PB2K prototype games and he was actively manufacturing the BBB.

If you were a lowly pinball collector and willing to trust Gene with a deposit on BBB you knew he was going to take care of you in the end. And he did, popular speculation is he lost money on that deal and all those games were delivered as promised. If you were a fellow businessperson involved in the industry you were likely to not fair as well. I have learned my lesson to even mention Gene's name around some of those folks, and I have no doubt they have very legitimate gripes with the way he did business.

In the end there are 171 people that should be grateful for Gene's legacy in pinball. And maybe some of the games that Rick is salvaging will go on to a second life.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-mega-sale-400-games-emsssswoodrailspitch-n-batsetc-bloomingtonil?tu=viper001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.