(Topic ID: 40441)

FS - HUO FH - SOLD

By jeffspinballpalace

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Game has been sold and payment is pending.

Offering my HUO Funhouse with 150 plays for $7,500 (previously listed at $8.5k).

History - Grover Gibson (known by many on Boston Pinball Association, RGP and Pinside) bought this FH NIB. Original paperwork has since been lost, but he may have purchased it from the recluse living in CT, who has 100 B/W games from the 90’s - all NIB, and who surfaces every few years, only to sell off three or four games before retreating back into the shadows. Grover opened “my precious” this NIB pin (I love reading that phrase) and put 50 virgin games on it over the course of a year and a half (when you have something rare you don’t play it every day, duh).

He sold it to a friend who kept it a year and reported putting no more than 25 games on it (I am rounding this estimate upwards to 50). This guy had other games at home to play too, so don’t cry for him. Grover bought FH back, added hole protectors and put another 25 games on it over six months before selling it to me two years ago. So technically I am the fourth owner and the game came to me with 125 plays. Its condition was originally described as pulling the game new out of the box, and I wasn’t disappointed.

I added a few mods before even playing my first game - list to follow. Purest may cringe at the mention of making any changes, but hey! you can always “restore it to original-like”. A few of them might even like what they see, so give it a look, After making these changes, I put five good games on her, repackaged and moved it into climate controlled storage. I recently moved it home and unboxed it and it was like opening a nice present. There was a pallet and straps and blankets and cardboard protection and shrink wrap everywhere. The sensation though was something more unique. Like opening a CH restored game…you know you are in the presence of something special. I have added twenty games since, and this gets to a total 150 plays.

Changes made to game, and which you are free to reverse - 9.05H ROM and mirror-polished chrome hardware - rails, hinges, bolts, lockdown, coin door and bolts, legs and bolts. Game has a new sheet of PDI glass, mirror blades, mind orbit color changing shooter rods, Pinball Pro subwoofer and external battery holder.

Of course the proof is in the pictures and link to pics to be provided tomorrow. Hate to be a tease but …. it is pretty mind blowing! and it took forever to type this description. LOL.

JeffS
ATL

Post edited by jeffspinballpalace : Changed Price

#2 11 years ago

I would love to own a super nice FH, this is out of my range though

#3 11 years ago

That description is worth an extra $100

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

(when you have something rare you don’t play it every day, duh).

Um no. You play it everyday and twice on Sunday.

#5 11 years ago

Know what you mean. I owned and sold four FH's until deciding to finally get a nice one. It felt similar to when the guy wanted to buy a harley, but got much better value on a honda so he bought that instead. Later he sells it and wants a harley, but buys a suzuki cause it had better specs. Finally, he sells that and buys a harley, and now he is content. Well that was my struggle anyways.

#6 11 years ago

Awesome job on the typing.

#8 11 years ago

Really nice! It reminds me of the cars that someone bought and never used. It's beautiful. I like Rudy's "accessories"!

#9 11 years ago

I tried to buy this Funhouse from Grover back in Summer 2011 he is a great guy and I did purchase several good pins from him. (FGY, Tron LE, Spiderman) I just sold Jim The Banker his former Spiderman from the 2010 run. If I had my Beatles jukebox money I be driving down to get this. Worth the money to me!
Buddy

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Worth the money to me!

Looks very nice but for the price I totally disagree. You can buy a very nice restored one for 5-6 at most, this basically looks like a resorted FH with all the trim changes and mods, not a HUO original.

#11 11 years ago

8.5k for a fh. i'm selling my pins.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Looks very nice but for the price I totally disagree. You can buy a very nice restored one for 5-6 at most, this basically looks like a resorted FH with all the trim changes and mods, not a HUO original.

i am looking for a very nice example myself and willing to get clubbed like a baby seal. but i have to agree with this statement.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

Nice way to destroy his FOR SALE post... you should be proud!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

8.5k for a fh. i'm selling my pins.

Hey, go sell them! Start your own post though... PLEASE!

#15 11 years ago

Nice!!!!!!!!!

#16 11 years ago

The point of not liking this pin because you don't like the mods is not a strong argument. Are you saying you would buy it at X - $300 if I installed $300 of stock hardware but not at X if I leave the mirror polished hardware on?

#17 11 years ago

The point of not liking this pin because you don't like the mods is not a strong argument. Are you saying you would buy it at X - $300 if I installed $300 of stock hardware but not at X if I leave the mirror polished hardware on?

Jeff, he's not sure what he's saying... just hope he goes away!

#18 11 years ago

No offense was taken, his logic wasn't sound.

There were 10,750 FH’s made and this title tends to get played until well-worn because it is fun and holds up well on location (except for the jaw gear). I still see many in the wild. You can’t get rid of Rudy…because he is watching you.

If you buy HUO for name sake, you might end up with a FH that is HUO but which has been moved 20 times and is dinged or one that was plugged in continuously for 23 years and has some toasty connectors or maybe has been played 100,000 games. Patch, paint, decal, polish, buy new parts, install, align, make board repairs, do a bunch of work and trouble shoot. A high quality restore they can make the pin look like it just came out of the box. Or you can have one that just came out of the box. I won’t mention the faults discovered in reproduction cabinet decals and repro playfields for FH.

If you want a really nice FH fully shopped, expect to pay $3.5 - $5k. If you want a nicely restored FH that might run $5-$6k. If you want CQ condition, expect $8-$10k. Now if money were no object, would you pick a CQ restored pin ...... or .......... HUO with 150 plays? Would you expect to pay more than CQ?

disclaimer - there are now 151 plays on the old counter.

#19 11 years ago

Actually, the logic is sound.

Nobody is going to pay the same amount for a '65 Shelby GT350 Mustang with 500 miles on it that has a brand new paint job, new interior, and a new engine versus that of one with has never been touched, with 500 miles on it. In fact, I've seen a "barn find" '65 GT350 that was complete and running, but looked horrible, with 47k miles on it go for more than a fully restored example of the same exact car, also with low mileage. As the saying goes, "they're only original once."

Point is, when you advertise a 151 plays machine and people look at it and it looks like someone's gone and restored it AND added stuff to it, people will flinch a bit. The people that are usually into the low play machines want to see it in the EXACT condition it left the factory, nothing more, nothing less. That's the point of a "time capsule" pin, which is what is implied in an extremely low plays machine. They don't want to see something that doesn't look "day one".

#20 11 years ago

If you want a really nice FH fully shopped, expect to pay $3.5 - $5k. If you want a nicely restored FH that might run $5-$6k. If you want CQ condition, expect $8-$10k. Now if money were no object, would you pick a CQ restored pin ...... or .......... HUO with 150 plays? Would you expect to pay more than CQ?

disclaimer - there are now 151 plays on the old counter.

I would agree with this! FH was my favorite 90's pin.....

A resto to get it to CQ condition would be at least 8k

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Actually, the logic is sound.
Nobody is going to pay the same amount for a '65 Shelby GT350 Mustang with 500 miles on it that has a brand new paint job, new interior, and a new engine versus that of one with has never been touched, with 500 miles on it. In fact, I've seen a "barn find" '65 GT350 that was complete and running, but looked horrible, with 47k miles on it go for more than a fully restored example of the same exact car, also with low mileage. As the saying goes, "they're only original once."
Point is, when you advertise a 151 plays machine and people look at it and it looks like someone's gone and restored it AND added stuff to it, people will flinch a bit. The people that are usually into the low play machines want to see it in the EXACT condition it left the factory, nothing more, nothing less. That's the point of a "time capsule" pin, which is what is implied in an extremely low plays machine. They don't want to see something that doesn't look "day one".

Well, I'm glad you can speak for all buyers...

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Well, I'm glad you can speak for all buyers...

It why I've been put on God's green Earth.

You're welcome.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Tony is the Price Police Police!

#24 11 years ago

I think most buyers with the kinda coin to buy this game are smart enough to make a condition/pricing decision all on their own. The price police & price police police can't stop a savvy buyer from making a good choice.

Nice funhouse. Too nice for me, i like to beat the snot out of rudy.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Tony is the Price Police Police!

Yes, someone needs to STOMP these guys down before they embarrass themselves... too late for this guy though!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I'm not a fan of price police either but in this case I think anyone willing to spend this type of coin on a HUO but non-CQ pin is not going to be altered by anything anyone post on this forum. It does look great for it's age but does show some things that could use some attention.

I think at the end of the day we should all also know by by now that if you don't want some (potential negative) comments towards your FS post you should just put it up for sale in the market place and not in the "discussion" forum section.

Those thinking this price is crazy high are not wrong for what "they" expect out of a pin but that also doesn't mean it's not worth this to someone. Only takes one person to want a HUO FH that has the bank roll to match to make this worth it.

OP - I think you are better off making this one all original. The amount of people looking for a $8.5K FH is slim enough but even slimmer when not original. The type of person you need is someone that is willing to pay a premium to have an all original FH and most of those people seem to frown on any mods. GLWS

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from DEWSHO:

Um no. You play it everyday and twice on Sunday.

Then you lose track, after drinkin a bottle of Jack!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm not a fan of price police either but in this case I think anyone willing to spend this type of coin on a HUO but non-CQ pin is not going to be altered by anything anyone post on this forum. It does look great for it's age but does show some things that could use some attention.
I think at the end of the day we should all also know by by now that if you don't want some (potential negative) comments towards your FS post you should just put it up for sale in the market place and not in the "discussion" forum section.
Those thinking this price is crazy high are not wrong for what "they" expect out of a pin but that also doesn't mean it's not worth this to someone. Only takes one person to want a HUO FH that has the bank roll to match to make this worth it.
OP - I think you are better off making this one all original. The amount of people looking for a $8.5K FH is slim enough but even slimmer when not original. The type of person you need is someone that is willing to pay a premium to have an all original FH and most of those people seem to frown on any mods. GLWS

I love these... SLAM! BAM! HAMMER, HAMMER, CRAP, KICK, SMACK... but GLWS!

Classic!

#29 11 years ago

brutal.....

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I love these... SLAM! BAM! HAMMER, HAMMER, CRAP, KICK, SMACK... but GLWS!
Classic!

Read it again. This time without predetermining what you were looking to see. I was actually agreeing with you but also trying to add some substance to the post by offering advice to help sell the pin.

#31 11 years ago

Firstly, I mean no disrespect to the seller...

It just so happens that FH has long been among my most favorite games, and I have told myself that should a pristine original ever surface that I would give it *very* serious consideration.

(My other 'grail' is TZ, and I bought a HUO example late last year, so I'm not a tire kicker.)

When I saw this thread yesterday, I was instantly interested.

Then I read about the mods. I was disappointed. Then I saw the pictures and my disappointment was confirmed, sadly.

Without the mods, etc., I would have made an inquiry, but as it is, I will have to stay away.

Someone out there who isn't as anal retentive as I am will more than likely surface and will pay handsomely for this game and will be extremely happy with his/her game.

And I will be happy for both the buyer and seller...

Jeff

#32 11 years ago

Funhouse purist and current owner here. Sorry, hate the mods. I wanted to look past all the fluff, but cringe at the thought of having to tear it all off and not add damage.

#33 11 years ago

Best of luck with sale. Holy Cow FH has risen.

#34 11 years ago

The only mods i don't like are the chrome t-molding around the backbox and the chrome coin door. The LEDs I'd probably leave out in certain areas, and the mirror blades i could take or leave. Nice mods otherwise, IMO. Very nice, original game. GLWS.

Todd

#35 11 years ago

As simple a coin door swap is, that pic kills it for me. I can't explain why. The improperly installed flipper button protectors prevent me from doing any cartwheels as well. GLWS!

#36 11 years ago

Very cool FH and well worth it! You just don't find FH in this original condition very often... and if you want it back to original STOCK condition its not a big deal as some seem to think... or maybe they have another agenda?

#37 11 years ago

I'd be wondering if those blades are screwed into the cab. I could see a buyer wanting an unmolested FH paying a good buck for it. But de-moding it..and showing screw holes (if they are indeed screwed in) would completely defeat the purpose of paying the big bucks

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I'd be wondering if those blades are screwed into the cab. I could see a buyer wanting an unmolested FH paying a good buck for it. But de-moding it..and showing screw holes (if they are indeed screwed in) would completely defeat the purpose of paying the big bucks

Let the seller and a serious buyer (which you are not) worry about all that. Why worry about this when you not even interested? I'm sure the seller and a TRUE buyer will work things out without all this speculating.

#39 11 years ago

Funny.. you should consider taking your own advice

How much interest do you have in buying the game?

Quoted from teekee:

Let the seller and a serious buyer (which you are not) worry about all that. Why worry about this when you not even interested? I'm sure the seller and a TRUE buyer will work things out without all this speculating.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

et the seller and a serious buyer (which you are not) worry about all that. Why worry about this when you not even interested? I'm sure the seller and a TRUE buyer will work things out without all this speculating.

How about you quit chiming in on everyone's posts about telling them about their opinions and quit trying to give them to us all. People can comment all they want on for sale threads, it's a forum and it's meant for it. If he doesn't want comments or feedback then just put it in the marketplace, otherwise people have the right to comment how they want whether they are buyers or not.

#41 11 years ago

Funny.. you should consider taking your own advice
How much interest do you have in buying the game?

I have no interest in buying it but unlike you I have no interest in trying to stop others from buying it.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

How about you quit chiming in on everyone's posts about telling them about their opinions and quit trying to give them to us all. People can comment all they want on for sale threads, it's a forum and it's meant for it. If he doesn't want comments or feedback then just put it in the marketplace, otherwise people have the right to comment how they want whether they are buyers or not.

Oh, you can forget that! I will always chime in on those who price whine and those who feel the need to destroy 'FOR SALE' posts with their negativity. It doesn't matter where its listed for sale. I have seen things listed for sale on Ebay, CL, Classifieds, Marketplace and some of the whiners here actually start a post just to whine about them. The whiners will find a way!

#43 11 years ago

So bringing up positives...is OK if your not a potential buyer?

Bringing up a possible negative isn't OK if you not a potential buyer?

They hypocrisy is strong with this one...

Here's a bump for ya

Quoted from teekee:

I have no interest in buying it but unlike you I have no interest in trying to stop others from buying it.

#44 11 years ago

So bringing up positives...is OK if your not a potential buyer?
Bringing up a possible negative isn't OK if you not a potential buyer?
They hypocrisy is strong with this one...
Here's a bump for ya

Sure, why not be positive? Why not hope the seller makes his sale? Being negative is what brought RGP down. Not sure what point there is with being negative unless your hoping the seller doesn't succeed.

#45 11 years ago

i love the ignore button.

#46 11 years ago

Why wouldn't I want the seller to succeed? I own a FH...selling this game at this price would only help the value of my collection. At least it certainly wouldn't hurt it.

You're the one that told me to 'not to worry about it if I have no interest of buying it.' Yet you yourself admittedly have no interest in buying it...yet seem pretty worried about the sale.

You should consider politics as a career...you'd be pretty damn good at it!

Keeping to the top for the seller...GL!

Quoted from teekee:

Sure, why not be positive? Why not hope the seller makes his sale? Being negative is what brought RGP down. Not sure what point there is with being negative unless your hoping the seller doesn't succeed.

#47 11 years ago

There are no leds installed. I bought some for the inserts but they have not been installed. Playfield is really that bright.

As for unmodding, swapping hardware and removing mirror blades is easy. Replacing the side rails requires a small amount of patience and minimal skill. The rest can be done by a caveman, I can perform if desired, I have replaced side rails on more than thirty games. Off with the new and on with a old 23 year old finish - if required.

I have enjoyed the discussion so far. It is true that if a potential buyer is concerned about screw holes remaining from the mirror blades then this machine is not for them. There are two screws used per each and they fall under the level of the playfield (one on each end). Also there is a hole drilled in bottom of cabinet near the power supply to accomodate a speaker jack. However I would assume if someone is hyper-critical about their machines, then they would arrange to see the game in person before making an offer.

It is a fantastic pin to see and play but it is not perfect. Coming out of the box, pins are usually not flawless either. Like stepping back into 1990 on the day your arcade displayed its new FH.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Oh, you can forget that! I will always chime in on those who price whine and those who feel the need to destroy 'FOR SALE' posts with their negativity. It doesn't matter where its listed for sale. I have seen things listed for sale on Ebay, CL, Classifieds, Marketplace and some of the whiners here actually start a post just to whine about them. The whiners will find a way!

How do you know his sale is destroyed? Which of the detractors opinions aren't valid? Selling an item is a process. He posted this on "All Pinball". Do you run up to people at the gas pump and tell them they're being negative about the price if they complain?

That's the real hypocrisy here. Those yelling the loudest about "price police" really are the ones that hate how the free market operates. I'll call them "the inflators".

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from abc12346038:

Firstly, I mean no disrespect to the seller...
It just so happens that FH has long been among my most favorite games, and I have told myself that should a pristine original ever surface that I would give it *very* serious consideration.
(My other 'grail' is TZ, and I bought a HUO example late last year, so I'm not a tire kicker.)
When I saw this thread yesterday, I was instantly interested.
Then I read about the mods. I was disappointed. Then I saw the pictures and my disappointment was confirmed, sadly.
Without the mods, etc., I would have made an inquiry, but as it is, I will have to stay away.
Someone out there who isn't as anal retentive as I am will more than likely surface and will pay handsomely for this game and will be extremely happy with his/her game.
And I will be happy for both the buyer and seller...
Jeff

The mods can be removed. Put on new hardware and there ya go. Make an offer based on that, step up to the plate.

Also, I just rechecked pics. For some reason I thought there was so much complaining because he did a powder coated color, but this is all really over chrome rails and such? I hate chrome usually, but on this game they look great. It's like the original, but polished. You know, so it doesn't look old and dated kinda thing. I suppose to each their own.

Good luck on the sale man! Don't take offers too much lower, nice looking game! If someone wants an "original" then let them keep lookin!

#50 11 years ago

Keeping to the top for the seller...GL!

There ya go, there's the POSITIVE coming out of you... Now don't you feel better? Glad I could help. Another lost soul back on track!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-huo-fh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.