Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by derek533
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fs acdc.JPG
fs acdc 3.JPG
fs acdc 4.JPG
fs acdc 5.JPG
fs acdc 2.JPG

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

$5100 for an AC/DC!! What the hell is going on? Is this pin going the way of Avengers? This must be some kind of anomaly or the pinball market is getting saturated with pins. Not enough buyers I guess.

Stern keeps cranking them out, so it's not a limited supply...

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

$5100 for an AC/DC!! What the hell is going on? Is this pin going the way of Avengers? This must be some kind of anomaly or the pinball market is getting saturated with pins. Not enough buyers I guess.

I believe things are going back to the way they were....open a pin play it sell it for less than what you paid.
Bump for a great price. I would never let mine go at that price.

#53 5 years ago

Obviously a great game, but Stern had been pumping them out for years, so they're easy to find, and most of the people who really wanted one already got one, so now it's the interested, but looking for a deal people doing a lot of the buying. And maybe more importantly, Luci coming out put a little damper on the Prem values. She's not for everyone obviously, but the impression is that there's a new, cooler version out, and that depresses the values a little.

I wouldn't call it Avengers, just some natural supply and demand market forces. This is the low end of the scale, not some kind of new natural price.

#54 5 years ago

I wonder why AC/DC Premium prices seem to be dropping and Tron Pro prices seem to be climbing. Supply & demand? Productions numbers? It's not like AC/DC isn't a great game. Do Tron nerds simply have more money than rocker nerds?

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I wonder why AC/DC Premium prices seem to be dropping, and Tron Pro prices seem to be climbing. Supply & demand? Productions numbers? It's not like AC/DC isn't a great game. Are Tron fans just bigger nerds with more money?

Tron is pretty steady, but I don't know if it's climbing. It's out of production (for now), unlike ACDC.

#56 5 years ago

Just wait until they decide to make a Tron premium. That will learn us.

#57 5 years ago

Prices continue to soften....period. Pinball prices are finally acting like most other "toys" that we play and enjoy in that they are going down after we buy them.....I have gotten some really great buys the past few weeks so hopefully they continue to soften. I even finally got my really nice HUO LOTR for well under $5K by just being patient. Patience is the name of the game in this hobby as I have said MANY TIMES especially now as in the past you could buy high and the pins appreciation would make up for any bad buying decision assuming you held the pin.....now the reverse is true.....you buy bad and with prices going down it compounds the bad buy if you go to sell it. Discipline is important now more then ever.

#58 5 years ago

there he goes...

#59 5 years ago

I was just saying to Rarehero that I bet people would go bananas if they Luci’d Tron, and did a run with some new art. Throw in the LE ramp lights, but maybe leave out Daft Punk multiball or something to not entirely throw the LE people under the bus.

But yeah, AC/DC is still widely available NIB and Tron isn't, so pointless to compare.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Tron is pretty steady, but I don't know if it's climbing. It's out of production (for now), unlike ACDC.

NIB Pros went from $5k to $6k+, and highly modded Pros are now $6k++. A definitely spike over the last 12-18 months. AC/DC Premiums have dropped almost $1000 over the same period. At least, as far as I can tell. Interesting phenomenon considering AC/DC Premium is ranked higher. Not saying one is better than the other. I just find it interesting.

#61 5 years ago

Hopefully, you are listening.....

Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

there he goes...

#62 5 years ago

NIB Pros went from $5k to $6k+, and highly modded Pros are now $6k++. A definitely spike over the last 12-18 months. AC/DC Premiums have dropped almost $1000 over the same period. At least, as far as I can tell. Interesting phenomenon considering AC/DC Premium is ranked higher. Not saying one is better than the other. I just find it interesting.

The key is to buy an HUO and not pay the premium for the NIB. Truly, the difference between a nice HUO and a NIB for a recent game is close to NILL. A few hundred plays doesn't exactly do much to the condition of a pinball machine so truly I never saw the reason for why people would pay $6K for a NIB TRON....but to each there own.....after they open it up they can lose $1K so be it.....

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just wait until they decide to make a Tron premium. That will learn us.

They do! It's called Eli's ramp mod.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

They do! It's called Eli's ramp mod.

Seriously. Tron LE is actually a premium. It says so right on it. So they eliminate the plaque and do a run of those, and all previous Tron owners, pro and LE are left scratching their heads (to put it mildly).

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from houseofpin:

The key is to buy an HUO and not pay the premium for the NIB. Truly, the difference between a nice HUO and a NIB for a recent game is close to NILL. A few hundred plays doesn't exactly do much to the condition of a pinball machine so truly I never saw the reason for why people would pay $6K for a NIB TRON....but to each there own.....after they open it up they can lose $1K so be it.....

You are 100% correct. That is one of the reasons why I dropped out of the MMR preorder. I figure with 1000 MMR LE's and 1000 MMR Std there is no way the $8000 price will hold. This is what we are seeing with AC/DC. So many Premiums produced plus Luci's tempers the prices of existing HUO machines. This is a good thing for pinball. It will make it less of an elite hobby. Also HUO machines are typically dialed in by the NIB pinside owner which is valuable IMO. Ask the AV LE NIB owners what a PITA it was out of the box. I was one of those people. Took me a month to tweaking to get it playing well.

#66 5 years ago

You had me until this. That's like bitching the game doesn't come out of the box leveled. Now having the pin "dialed in" is a thing? Maybe in that one case I guess, and maybe for the WOZ's, but really, I don't need someone to "dial in" a pin for me and it certainly isn't worth actual money to me.

Quoted from LitzDoc:

Also HUO machines are typically dialed in by the NIB pinside owner which is valuable IMO. Ask the AV LE NIB owners what a PITA it was out of the box. I was one of those people. Took me a month to tweaking to get it playing well.

#67 5 years ago

I wonder why AC/DC Premium prices seem to be dropping and Tron Pro prices seem to be climbing. Supply & demand? Productions numbers? It's not like AC/DC isn't a great game. Do Tron nerds simply have more money than rocker nerds?

Luci causing those that own to rebuy and sell having only a slight loss for basically another LE.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You had me until this. That's like bitching the game doesn't come out of the box leveled. Now having the pin "dialed in" is a thing? Maybe in that one case I guess, and maybe for the WOZ's, but really, I don't need someone to "dial in" a pin for me and it certainly isn't worth actual money to me.

I'd normally agree, but effing Avengers? That game shipped broke ass, and needs a lot of attention to play smoothly.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

So you are saying that most NIB games need the dialing in that AV LE needed? No way. That game was a QC nightmare. It needed way more tweaking than most. That was my first NIB; so I am now nervous to get another NIB from Stern. My time is limited. I would rather be playing my HUO rather than tweaking my NIB.

#70 5 years ago

Sure, but that game is the exception. We can't say that "dialing in" a game is now worth something because the Avengers shipped broken

Quoted from Aurich:

I'd normally agree, but effing Avengers? That game shipped broke ass, and needs a lot of attention to play smoothly.

I'm saying the opposite, we agree That guys was saying "dialing in" a game was worth something and cited the Avengers as an example. That game is the exception, I cringe a little when people advertise their used games 5% less than NIB and then try and convince people how it's "dialed in."

Quoted from LitzDoc:

So you are saying that most NIB games need the dialing in that AV LE needed? No way. That game was a QC nightmare. It needed way more tweaking than most. That was my first NIB; so I am now nervous to get another NIB from Stern. My time is limited. I would rather be playing my HUO rather than tweaking my NIB.

#71 5 years ago

Yeah. I get it Jalpert. We are saying the same thing. AV was a nightmare. Most pins are not. If you buy AVLE get HOU to save the hassle. Other pins NIB suffices. How much would you say on average a NIB pin decreases in price after use? I understand there are exceptions like Tron LE and BIBLE, LTBR etc.

#72 5 years ago

I found one this week for $5200....So maybe prices are coming down a little.......

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Still await-n on a call from above .. might Pass .

I just saw the post. Still awake?

#74 5 years ago

That was a great price....another example (in my opinion) why buying NIB pins for the most part (you need to pick your spots) is a bad financial decision 90% of the time. Here is a pin that was a "hit" and went for $6,300 shipped that you can pick up for $5,100 (this is becoming more of the norm for this pin as well as other NIB titles (Hulk LE, AVLE just to give a couple of examples). The downside risk is much more (as it should be) then upside and waiting a little truly drives down the cost a lot. AC/DC premium was the only NIB pin I ever bought and kept and since I bought 6 pins at once (3 TRON PROS and 3 AC/DC premiums) and used 2 AC/DC premiums for "trade bait" early on I got my money back and the 3 TRON PROS I sold for a nice $1.8K profit which reduced my cost basis on AC/DC premium to $4,200 so that was my main motivation as the discount I got by buying 6 with much discounted shipping (when you calculate on a per pin basis) made the AC/DC NIB premium purchase "justified" as I was 500% sure the TRON PRO was the last run and at $4,600 avg. cost knew I could sell them all day long for $5K or more to reduce the cost basis of the AC/DC premium I was going to keep......so even making a mistake I ended up alright on my NIB AC/DC premium but that was only because I got "creative".

It is buying smart in this hobby and having "patience" that can save people a lot of money !!! Not letting the "I have to have it now" attitude override. Too many people I see have no patience or are speculating hoping for the next BIBLE, TRONLE and the couple of other NIB pins that went up a lot and they end up getting burned !!! I just wish they would make the $1,000 deposit non-refundable as people are getting smarter and when the demand isn't there they just ask for their deposit back.......

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from houseofpin:

That was a great price....another example (in my opinion) why buying NIB pins for the most part (you need to pick your spots) is a bad financial decision 90% of the time. Here is a pin that was a "hit" and went for $6,300 shipped that you can pick up for $5,100 (this is becoming more of the norm for this pin as well as other NIB titles (Hulk LE, AVLE just to give a couple of examples). The downside risk is much more (as it should be) then upside and waiting a little truly drives down the cost a lot. AC/DC premium was the only NIB pin I ever bought and kept and since I bought 6 pins at once (3 TRON PROS and 3 AC/DC premiums) and used 2 AC/DC premiums for "trade bait" early on I got my money back and the 3 TRON PROS I sold for a nice $1.8K profit which reduced my cost basis on AC/DC premium to $4,200 so that was my main motivation as the discount I got by buying 6 with much discounted shipping (when you calculate on a per pin basis) made the AC/DC NIB premium purchase "justified" as I was 500% sure the TRON PRO was the last run and at $4,600 avg. cost knew I could sell them all day long for $5K or more to reduce the cost basis of the AC/DC premium I was going to keep......so even making a mistake I ended up alright on my NIB AC/DC premium but that was only because I got "creative".
It is buying smart in this hobby and having "patience" that can save people a lot of money !!! Not letting the "I have to have it now" attitude override. Too many people I see have no patience or are speculating hoping for the next BIBLE, TRONLE and the couple of other NIB pins that went up a lot and they end up getting burned !!! I just wish they would make the $1,000 deposit non-refundable as people are getting smarter and when the demand isn't there they just ask for their deposit back.......

Most people on here understand simple economics. Some people on here have money falling out their arse (I am not one of those) and couldn't care less about making money or losing money in pinball. It's just all fun.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Most people on here understand simple economics. Some people on here have money falling out their arse (I am not one of those) and couldn't care less about making money or losing money in pinball. It's just all fun.

I know..jeeesh, talk about overthinking things and sucking all the joy from this. If I'm investing, its going to be in stocks, real estate, commodities ect. This is a hobby and like most hobbies it cost you some money and money you don't expect to get back, what your getting back is the fun. Not saying that I'm going to be cavalier about my expenditures, in fact I put personal caps on my pin budget but, some of us need to relax a little more and just enjoy it for what it is.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

For the record, some of us are also in a different group that DON'T have money falling out of our arse, but also are in it for the fun as well. As long as I don't take a bath on a game and loose my shirt, I am ok with loosing (or making) some money along the way. It's a fun hobby.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

For the record, some of us are also in a different group that DON'T have money falling out of our arse, but also are in it for the fun as well. As long as I don't take a bath on a game and loose my shirt, I am ok with loosing (or making) some money along the way. It's a fun hobby.

You and I are in the same boat. I'm sorry if my post did not come across that way. I feel the same as you.

#79 5 years ago

Seems like this price conversation keeps popping up in every thread, lol. Here is my take from the 3-4 years I've been in the hobby now. Prices do seem to be softening a bit, but nothing major...things are nowhere near where they were when I jumped into the hobby (thousands less for a lot of the 90s DMD pins)...and I feel like as long as new machines are selling for 8k+ things won't soften too much.

As long as a machine is still in production of course the used prices are not going to be high...people would rather pay a little more for a new versus used pin. With all the different pro and premium ACDC models now, it is not surprising the average used price has fallen to around $5500 (I feel like this sale was an exception). As soon as a pin ceases production, and it is a desired pin, it will increase in price (Tron Pro is a recent example).

I feel as though older DMD pins will hold steady or continue to increase in value as long as the new pins continue to increase in price. When a NIB Stern LE is 8k, and a 90s Williams/Bally (or even earlier Sterns like LOTR, TSPP, etc.) are sometimes built better, have more toys, have desirable themes, etc., then it only makes sense to me that those pins will hold/increase their value. Not to mention, as more time goes by, we are losing some stock of the older pins due to fire/flood/general neglect/etc, which limits the supply and increases the value.

Pinball machines have been compared to toys, which is true, but at the same point there is a "collectible" nature to them. In my opinion they are pieces of art, and are limited, so it makes some sense that "desired" pins would increase in price just like other collectibles.

That's just my analysis . I may be totally off base, but that is how I've observed things. It all seems totally obvious (to me) what I posted, so sorry for the boring post . We'll see in the coming years how everything plays out! With all of the new manufacturers getting into the business, and with the remakes, it is anyone's guess! I'm just glad I am in it for the love of pinball and not as investments, that way I don't have to stress it!

#80 5 years ago

We'll see about the so called "softening" of the market. I'm headed to TPF today and other than the ridiculous prices Fun! wants for their machines, I hope to see some good deals.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside