8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

What is proper etiquette for a Pinsider when responding to a FS thread? There have been many times I have found machines I'm interested in, but I read the thread and see "pm sent". I know that means a private message was sent... So what does that exactly mean? Did someone "pm"... "I'll take it!" just from looking at photos. Sometimes I see a Seller response of "sold to the first Pinsider who pm'd me"

Buyers: What do you say in your initial "pm"? Are we not supposed to "pm" once we see another Pinsider "pm'd". I would think there would be some questions to the Seller in that first "pm"... Typical questions?

Sellers: How do you chose which "pm"... first come, first serve? Are you annoyed by questions about the machine or details of the transaction (method of Payment)?

Sellers: What is your preferred transaction when Buyer doesn't pick up? Is there a simple "Bill of Sale" for the machine? Will you take Paypal for merchandise (not money sent to friends/family) if the Buyer agrees to pay the Paypal fees? Only take cash or check? Or do you just move to the next pm?

I understand both Buyers AND Sellers want to be protected. Any method that works for both when having the machine shipped? I assume a Buyer picking up a machine with cash after seeing it is best scenario, but sometimes the machine you want or best deal may not be within driving distance.

Any advice to me or others would be great...

#2 8 years ago

The simple rule most would apply is that unless money has changed hands ( Buyer and Seller agree on method ), a machine isn't yet sold. "PM sent" shouldn't deter you.

#3 8 years ago

Can't sleep and happy to help.

If a game is for sale, unless the ad specifies a certain condition you can't meet (trade only for purple powder coated whirlwind), the seller wants to hear from buyers. I usually PM for any game I see that I may be interested in buying. I have certain things I want to know about the game. Sometimes, all of them are answered in the FS thread and I'm only sending a message to let them know I'm interested and want to talk.
    Asking Price including preferred method of payment. I let the seller set the payment terms, within reason. I will not PayPal gift you several thousand dollars etc.
    Condition
    History if significant (routed in smokey bar vs HUO)
    Some good pictures.
    Shipping okay and will the seller properly package the game.

Finally and most importantly for me, I want to talk to the seller on the phone. I don't mind if someone is akward in conversation. I just need to know they know what they are doing and pass the smell test for a scam.

Due to location, I have purchased and sold a lot of games with shipping involved.

When I sell, I take some good high res pictures and upload them to photo sharing site. I use picasaweb (free). When someone wants pictures, I just send them a link to a nice set of high res pics they can blow up etc. I take first come, first serve when responding to PMs, emails and calls, but sell it to the first person that says "I'll take it".

In my experience, opinions vary widely about these issues. One persons "shady practices" are another's "hey it's not personal bub". Vid has a good guide on how not to get scammed. I find I have pretty good radar for this. No transaction is perfect.

If you see a game you like, send that message.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the input. Any paperwork ever or just emails detailing transaction?

#5 8 years ago

For insurance claim purposes, I wil usually email a transaction agreement or something in case it's damaged while shipping.

For example,

I am selling you MM pinball for $8500. As is no warranty.

I take pictures of the game before and after prep so the buyer has evidence if it arrives damaged.

It's one thing to refuse a damaged game from stern. Back to the factory or distro. When you buy a game privately, you are the shipper so your only recourse is an insurance.

#6 8 years ago

Kick a PM to them if your interested. And (my advice) buy locally so you can see the game. A lot of buyers get that initial rush, but then don't buy the game.

The only one I consider "bad form" is when the seller says someone is coming to see it, and you start being a weasel to try and get there before them. When I'm selling that shit don't fly.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-how-should-a-buyer-respond-transaction-etiquette and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.