Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3196.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG
Get_ready.gif
photo(24).JPG
photo(23).JPG
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is this just your opinion? or are you basing it off some actual sales of comparable HEP machines?
What do HEP MMs start at straight from the source?
I would guess that there is a long waiting list for HEP MMs to get restored? and if that is the case, then it seems that someone with a "I want it now, rather than waiting X months" point of view would even be happy to pay a few grand more than the current HEP direct price.

Basing it on what I've been quoted for his work in the past. His quote ( of what hes been offered as a price of 17k ) was he was offered way over that so I guess I was assuming it was in the 18.5 to 19 range. It's obvious the person who bought it either sent it in to either a: flip right away or b: ran into financial issues and needed to sell.

I say 18.5-19k is a pretty nice price but hey that's just my opinion. Guess we will have to wait n see if it sells for 20k

#52 11 years ago

yes, you can't really expect to make a profit from big ticket items like this. Unless you got the base game for 3k or something. Most of the time, people have it done because it's their favorite game and plan on keeping it. He grew tired of it in a couple of weeks. MM is not as fun as you may think. I was sick of mine after 4 weeks. But we are nerds, and nerds love medieval themes, so there you go. Instant demand.

#53 11 years ago

How about a payment plan for us poor folk.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, you can't really expect to make a profit from big ticket items like this. Unless you got the base game for 3k or something. Most of the time, people have it done because it's their favorite game and plan on keeping it. He grew tired of it in a couple of weeks. MM is not as fun as you may think. I was sick of mine after 4 weeks. But we are nerds, and nerds love medieval themes, so there you go. Instant demand.

I agree and actually grew tired of mine faster then my old AFM and others. I guess it's best to make sure you really love the game before you send it out for work like Chris or other high end restorers and drop some serious coin into it.

#55 11 years ago

Anyone who pays 20,000$ for a pinball deserves whatever it is they get High End or not.... yawn.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I agree and actually grew tired of mine faster then my old AFM and others. I guess it's best to make sure you really love the game before you send it out for work like Chris or other high end restorers and drop some serious coin into it.

I'm really *really* glad that you grew tired of it. I don't seem to be having that problem.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

He grew tired of it in a couple of weeks. MM is not as fun as you may think. I was sick of mine after 4 weeks.

Funny, I felt the same way about my TZ for around 15 grand less.

#58 11 years ago

we all have games that we hate, and others we love. Some go with the popular vote, which jacks the price up. If more people did their own thing, and decided to like games by actually playing them, instead of listening to the forums, on basing their collection. I think a lot more people would have more diverse collections, and prices would be spread out more. You wouldn't have the same handful of games shooting up like wildfire, and other great games left behind, because they don't say bally/williams on the backglass. It's sad.

#59 11 years ago

Once you go HEP you never go back!

Seriously though, if your deep into this hobby you know its expensive. Everyone owes it to themselves to take their favorite title and have Chris do at least one pin for them. Its a great experience! Expensive? Maybe, but its all relative. Like I said this hobby as a whole is expensive. If you have a favorite title that your into pretty reasonably then its worth having it restored by HEP. Its like finally adding gold to your portfolio of silver and copper...

#60 11 years ago

I'd love to see this machine go on EBay. No reserve auction. Would really say a lot about the valuation. I see Neo's point. The HEP process is awesome and expensive. A couple extra grand to not wait a year seems perfectly reasonable. People do that in high end car markets all the time.

#61 11 years ago

Somehow I think it would go higher than 20k. Because there are a lot of big ticket spenders, that do not come to the forums, and basically remain hidden. Just takes 2 high end collectors to fight over it, and you end up with some astronomical price.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'd love to see this machine go on EBay. No reserve auction. Would really say a lot about the valuation. People do that in high end car markets all the time.

That's the difference between someone that really wants it sold or someone that is fishing or shopping for a buyer. Its nice no doubt about it but like cars you are looking for that specific buyer that wants the same thing you just paid for. Sometimes you take a hit and other times you could make money. A no reserve auction answers the question definitively.

Shiloh Sharps rifles are a good comparison. Order one and wait between a year or two to take delivery (hand made 100%) or buy one through a broker that has new guns in the pipeline coming off in around 4 months. Shiloh's have a very good track record for holding their value and often selling for more than new due to price increases and long waiting times. With this crappy economy I have seen many pop up for well below new rifle pricing. Its more of a buyers market.

Pin prices have ridden a wave and many feel its peaked and some people are hopping off the wave.
Perfection in craftsmanship does not come cheap but this economy sucks for most people and some are sitting tight or selling off and moving to the side lines.

#63 11 years ago

Great deal. I hear these are going for 40k$ in Japan.

#64 11 years ago

I came across a MM out of state which is listed at 7K on a game store website.seemed low to me for this game even without any mods and just clean or restored.wish I could see it in person. Actually all of there games are priced low for being in business over 40 years.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I came across a MM out of state which is listed at 7K on a game store website.seemed low to me for this game even without any mods and just clean or restored.wish I could see it in person. Actually all of there games are priced low for being in business over 40 years.

If that's the case, then the website probably hasn't been updated in 5+ years.

#66 11 years ago

Man I just don't think this is a price that any...ANY pin should command at this stage. But hey its worth what some people will pay for it i guess.

#67 11 years ago

I would rather buy 6 good titles than 1 overpriced one. MM is a good game, but not worth the money(in my opinion). Good luck!

#68 11 years ago

Paying anyone $5k+ to restore a pin is absurd.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I would rather buy 6 good titles than 1 overpriced one. MM is a good game, but not worth the money(in my opinion). Good luck!

yeah, what he said!

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Yep, those were the same games and prices they had listed when I bought my AFM from them 8 months ago. None of them are available or even close to current, nor were they 8 months ago.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

If a game takes over 250 hours to fully restore, how much would you have to pay an expert per hour to restore it?

If you had a car being fixed, how much does the dealer charge you a hour to fix it?

#72 11 years ago

Lots of people do very nice pin restorations and don't charge $7k for it. If you want to pay that go right ahead, but its absurd.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Lots of people do very nice pin restorations

Lots of people ? I see way more junk, than true restorations !

HEP is worth every penny !

Jim

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

True on both !

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Jim

Jim -- do you have a website. I'd like to see some of your work.

Who do you consider the elite 5 restorers today?

#76 11 years ago

There are a lot of private people that do phenomenal work too. The more common ones are

HEP
Bryan Kelly
Chad Keller

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I could not possibly disagree with this more.

#78 11 years ago

I think I'll just sit back and enjoy my Pinball Arcade version for 2 bucks.

#79 11 years ago

Obviously Im really undercharging if $5k -$7k is reasonable to restore a pin inside and out lol.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Obviously Im really undercharging if $5k -$7k is reasonable to restore a pin inside and out lol.

Let's see your work !

#81 11 years ago

Chris i think you need to recant your statement towards neo since he proved it was one of yours........

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Chris i think you need to recant your statement towards neo since he proved it was one of yours........

Which statement are you referencing?

Both statements made by Chris in this thread have been proven true.

Based on these two statements, I do not see any reason for Chris to recant anything.

Marcus

#83 11 years ago

The restoration work is for sure work 4-5k if not more, depending on how bad the machine was. What is indeed crazy is the price on the MMs right now. When I think I got mine for FREE from a friend, it really makes me think about selling it. But no, this one will stay.
At one point down the road I will definitely get it properly restored with one of the top guys out there as I do think it is worth, if you plan to keep it forever (what I do).

CR

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Let's see your work !

goto the shark club in Michigan, Space Invaders is there and more soon to come
working on Flash Gordon and fathom for them currently they will be there in 3-4 months as well.

Heres FB link http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.489088357768270.122084.100000013296832&type=1

And heres it in a video from the shark club

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

it was my bad, I posted the wrong pictures by accident. I don't think Chris was saying it wasn't one of his, it just wasn't THAT one. It's all sorted out and Chris posted the proper link.

#86 11 years ago

HOLY CRAP i would KILL for a bar like that around my parts..

You Michigan guys are so lucky.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

You Michigan guys are so lucky.

They really are.

They have two Pinball Pete's, Shark Club and Clay has 150+ games set up in his warehouse.

#88 11 years ago

man that place look awesome, i wish we had something like this around here, we used too, but not anymore.

#89 11 years ago

Im excited to check the place out when i deliver the next 2 machines.
plus Mike seems like a realy cool guy from my dealings with him i look forward to hanging out with him.
From what I gather he is looking to expand to about 150 machines in time.
I currently have 4-5 in the works for him and about 8 pf's comming for older Gotteliebs to do for him as well.

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

Jim -- do you have a website. I'd like to see some of your work.

Who do you consider the elite 5 restorers today?

Chris Hutchins is king. Nobody has his skill set, done as many rare/super rare pins, or can do what he does.

Having said that, McCune would be in the top 3-5 restorers easily. Many of these guys are friends that communicate back and forth and wouldn't put down their competition to promote themselves. Their work speaks for itself.

A big problem I see is too many times "shopped" jobs are labeled "restored' in this hobby. Doing a tear down and slapping a Cliffy on a damaged kick out makes a pin super nice, but it doesn't put it into the restore category of a HEP. When people compare those pins to a professional restore, it really is a slap in the face as the pin is not even close to what these pins are.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They have two Pinball Pete's, Shark Club and Clay has 150+ games set up in his warehouse.

Also we have Marvelous Marvin's Mechanical Museum with many nice pins and a great variety of odd coin-op games.

#92 11 years ago

Like most professions or tasks, there are a lot of people who do mediocre work (and think it's good) but few who do excellent work.

These truly expert restoration / rebuilders are worth what they do. The best deserve their pay.

Yes, a 20K MM is pricey but c'mon it's not like Chris (or Jim or Brian) have $10,000,000 salaries to do this like the top entertainment and sports people. Their expertise, skill, and work are among the very best in the field. Sure, it's more money to get one of their machines but you're getting the best.

#93 11 years ago

You guys would shit a brick if you saw the restore I did on mine But, I SUCK at photography so only those who've seen and played it in person know. And, sorry, it's way too nice now to ever take to a show. That's the downside of doing a high end restore

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

You guys would shit a brick if you saw the restore I did on mine But, I SUCK at photography so only those who've seen and played it in person know. And, sorry, it's way too nice now to ever take to a show. That's the downside of doing a high end restore

Well snap a pic with your iphone and let's see that baby. I always wanted to know what a cliffy pin looks like.

#95 11 years ago

^^just take a picture of the pin with your calculator like most of these guys do, seems to work

#96 11 years ago

Obviously Chris is one of the best and I cant/wont say anything bad about his work.
But you dont realize his skillset isnt that unique most any body tech can do what he does for the most part. add a few connections and he could have competition.
Pinball restoration isnt much more than art restoration and basic electromechanical technology.
Electronics on pins are pretty basic and the artwork on the newer playfields are pretty basic as well easy enough to mask off like he does and reshoot certain colors, certainly any airbrush artist can do the same.
Chris is just the guy that applied his skillset to pinball vs other items he could be restoring.

#97 11 years ago

Medieval madness is a great game. Worth about 6K in pristine condition. Anyone paying more than that needs to read up about the great tulip crash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from kidfresh:

Worth about 6K in pristine condition.

..supply and demand.. worth what someone is willing to pay.. etc etc ad nauseum

Where do you come up with this number anyway? You just pulled it straight out of your ass , correct?

Quoted from kidfresh:

Anyone paying more than that needs to read up about the great tulip crash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

I admit that it's embarrassing how stupid the human race can be. Thanks for the irrelevant link though, people who have never heard of this may find it an interesting read.

#99 11 years ago

Relevent link. And although you won't admit it, true. So my 1966 V8 mustang convertible is worth less than a pinball machine that had a production of more than 4000? I like playing Medieval Madness, but it doesn't compare to a nice summer drive with the wind blowing in my face, and nearly every other driver on the road either staring at me or saying "nice ride". Best moment was a kid coming out of a $100K mercedes saying, "Wow, I want to ride in that car" while his dad agreed "yeah, thats a really nice car! My guess is "market crash madness"!

#100 11 years ago

Yes, $7000 is a lot of money but actually if you calculate what that is per hour for 250 hours of work
it's not high at all. There just aren't a lot of people that have the know-how and skill to do this work.

So until the Chinese start doing this work that's what it is going to cost.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.99
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-high-end-pins-mm-freshly-restored-20k/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.