IMG_7850.JPG
IMG_7851.JPG
IMG_7812.JPG
IMG_7816.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG
p1.jpg
coin.jpg
h1.jpg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

HUO is not a description of condition. It has nothing to do with condition.
HUO is claiming "home use only". It's a statement (or claim) of a fact. Not condition.
Just because a game is home use only means peanuts condition wise. It could have been played 50,000,000 times in a house, with rusty balls and rotten batteries. Who knows?
I own some routed machines that are tidier than some of the HUO games I have.
A friend of mine recently bought a HUO roadshow and it's more faded than most Ive seen.
Looks like a nice restored HH, good luck with the sale.
rd.

RD - Can you honestly say you would describe a game as HUO while attempting to sell it, but fail to disclose giant wear spots covered up with stickers and paint in your description? I have a hard time believing you could do that with a straight face and feel good about it.

You may have nailed the dictionary definition of "HUO", but missed the heart of the matter: omission of important details germane to the sale.

#52 9 years ago

What is going on around the shooter rod apron on the front of the cabinet?

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from 68Pontinut:

It was nice enough that a publication photographed it to put in their book.

Had a Xenon, Centaur and Space Invaders in that book. All games unfortunately pretty far from as nice enough as this one.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from Silver_Bullet:

RD - Can you honestly say you would describe a game as HUO while attempting to sell it, but fail to disclose giant wear spots covered up with stickers and paint in your description? I have a hard time believing you could do that with a straight face and feel good about it.
You may have nailed the dictionary definition of "HUO", but missed the heart of the matter: omission of important details germane to the sale.

Again, condition is not what HUO is describing. It means it's been in a house. Once you cross that bridge, you'll be on the road to zen.

So a suitable description could be (with bracketed explanations ...)

Haunted house, HUO machine (ie it has been in a house since it was made in 1982) This is the machine that was featured in the book (insert name here)

Machine has been restored by (insert the guy's name here) He has lovingly restored the machine. Note the decals around the pop bumpers and (insert other things here) All electronics are mint. Machine plays like new.

How's that ad grab you? Pretty good huh...

rd.

#55 9 years ago

There are also at least two "extra rats" painted/inked on that lower playfield (probably hiding more playfield wear).

No probably about it, the wear isn't even entirely hidden by the new rats. Clever solution though.

#56 9 years ago

It looks like there are stickers/decals covering the high traffic/wear areas on the lower cellar playfield and 2 extra rats painted over some potential wear. Thanks for pointing out the defects in the game Silver Bullet. It's not a perfect game but a very nice game. Let's stop beating a dead horse. I am sorry you are offended by my ad. The game is NOT NEW! What else would you like me to say to have you stop bashing my game?

#57 9 years ago

There is no wear around the shooter rod just a glare in the photo. I will take a close up and post it.
Thanks,

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Again, condition is not what HUO is describing. It means it's been in a house. Once you cross that bridge, you'll be on the road to zen.
So a suitable description could be (with bracketed explanations ...)
Haunted house, HUO machine (ie it has been in a house since it was made in 1982) This is the machine that was featured in the book (insert name here)
Machine has been restored by (insert the guy's name here) He has lovingly restored the machine. Note the decals around the pop bumpers and (insert other things here) All electronics are mint. Machine plays like new.
How's that ad grab you? Pretty good huh...
rd.

Funny RD, who knew the directions to "zen" were dispersed by you on a pinball forum?

I noticed you qualified your HUO description with the appropriate details, thereby making my point for me.

Trust me, your viewpoint is simple to understand. HUO = Home Use Only. We get it.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from 68Pontinut:

It looks like there are stickers/decals covering the high traffic/wear areas on the lower cellar playfield and 2 extra rats painted over some potential wear. Thanks for pointing out the defects in the game Silver Bullet. It's not a perfect game but a very nice game. Let's stop beating a dead horse. I am sorry you are offended by my ad. The game is NOT NEW! What else would you like me to say to have you stop bashing my game?

The game is just fine, your description may have come up short. Best of luck with the sale.

#60 9 years ago

I have provided detailed pictures and disclosed any know issues with the game. IMPO detailed photos and game history are what potential buyers are most interested in. I am so glad that we all can rely on you (Silver Bullet) to set us all straight. Definitions ETC... Pinside needs more members like you. I have made some great friendships with many fellow pinsiders/collectors and really enjoy the hobby of collecting and restoring pins. This was actually the 3rd pinball machine I purchased about 16 months ago. Since then I have caught the pinball bug and have 13 games in my current collection and have owned 32 total. Not bad for someone that has only been into pinball for 2 years. I am not into misleading anyone as my integrity and reputation are very important in my line of work. Thank you very much to all the pinsiders that have had interest in my Haunted House. I am happy to keep this game in my collection as it is a very nice game with a documented history. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or I am happy to answer any questions publicly on this forum.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No probably about it, the wear isn't even entirely hidden by the new rats. Clever solution though.

Holy crap. I don't think I would ever spotted the new rats. Great job spotting that. I do see the wear underneath but i agree that is a very clever way to address the wear!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Holy crap. I don't think I would ever spotted the new rats. Great job spotting that.

Thank you very much! Just trying to point out what the seller missed; want to make sure any potential buyer knows what surprises await.

#64 9 years ago

Thank you (Silver Bullet) for making my point. You are correct it is all here in the thread. Detailed photos. Can you move on now and not ruin pinball for the rest of us.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from 68Pontinut:

Thank you (Silver Bullet) for making my point. You are correct it is all here in the thread. Detailed photos. Can you move on now and not ruin pinball for the rest of us.

If you continue to address me, I can assure you I will likely respond.

Insider tip: nobody thinks you are cool when you brag about how many games you have owned. Stick to what you know best - flipping machines with questionable sales tactics.

#66 9 years ago

I am certainly not a flipper. I am sorry your life must really be hard. You obviously have nothing better to do.

#67 9 years ago

This game is definitely not Home Use only, as advertised. And the "restore" job is nothing short of amateurish. Regardless of who did it, it is definitely not on par with what is considered a professional restore. That's 2 strikes too many for the asking price, IMO.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Again, condition is not what HUO is describing.

I'll agree with this. For modern Sterns HUO only implies condition because they are so new, but for older games the moniker to shoot for is CQ which does reflect condition. There were some good eyes in this thread to point out the non-original restoration work, which does hurt the value of a CQ game, but again this is not advertised as such.

I've owned two HH's, one was rough and one was very nice so I'm very familiar with common wear and tear on this title, but even the nice one was not as nice as the one in this thread. FWIW, GLWS, etc.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from 68Pontinut:

I am certainly not a flipper. I am sorry your life must really be hard. You obviously have nothing better to do.

Are you going to take your ball home now, too?

Everybody can see your conduct here, ensconced for posterity. I rightly pointed out serious issues with your description of this game, and you attack because you are sore you got caught. Man up.

#70 9 years ago

I don't mean to pile on the seller, but I appreciate people like Silver Bullet calling out 'omissions' like this.

I am new to pinball and I am looking to buy my first pin. I am not interested in this particular pin, but I could see how a buyer might miss or fall victim to some of these conveniently left out issues (stickers hiding playfield wear? Even as a noob I would think that's pretty important to disclose upfront). It's an expensive hobby and it's a tight knit community. Obviously, anyone selling a pin wants to sell it for as much as possible, but we need to hold each other accountable.

That being said - GLWYS and hope you make sure to let potential buyers know everything up front.

#71 9 years ago

I would like to see a close up of the front of the cabinet. Around the shooter in particular. Looks like there was another shooter apron and possibly a crack in the cabinet...I don't know could be the flash or something...

#72 9 years ago

123.jpg123.jpg

Can't tell whats going on here...

It is a very clean HH.

#73 9 years ago

It's normal, HH's are usually routed out like that around the shooter.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I remember the first time I saw Haunted House at Fun and Games in Framingham, MA decades ago. In a sea of pinball machines, it was amazing to me. All I wanted to do was get more quarters to feed it

One of the first I remember playing back in the day too. I still love the audio and artwork, classic.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yep, I was about to agree. Mine has the same types of marks.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Why is that? Mine has it too.

#77 9 years ago

If you are looking to earn a gold star for being right, congratulations. But you are completely missing the point.

I completely agree with your point that descriptions and pics should be fair and accurate (and certainly not misleading). You also offered a real service to potential buyers pointing out the flaws/restorations on this machine that wouldn't have been obvious to many of us.

But since rotordave agrees with me on the definition of HUO, I'll take you up on that offer of a gold star.

Quoted from rotordave:

HUO is not a description of condition. It has nothing to do with condition. HUO is claiming "home use only". It's a statement (or claim) of a fact. Not condition.

#78 9 years ago

I think the seller is missing the point - when you ask TOP DOLLAR people expect MINT CONDITION.

If you asked $2K for this game no one would question the condition. But you're asking double that, and the condition isn't twice as nice.

The amount of calling out is directly connected to described condition and price.

#79 9 years ago

It's because Gottlieb changed the position that the playfield sits to accommodate a multi level or tall toys inside the same cabinets as non multi level games. When the playfield angle was changed (set lower at the top), the cabinet had to have the plunger area routed at a slight angle to put it back in line with the playfield. Also, all games that had this "notch" at the plunger had to have 27" legs on the front and 31" legs on the rear to make the ball roll normal. (MGoW, HH, Spirit & Caveman) The only exception to this is MGoW, it was the first game to have this done to it and Gottlieb didn't have it worked out correctly. I usually put 28 1/2" on the front with 3" levelers on any Mars to make it sit correctly and look better.

Steve

Quoted from solarvalue:

Why is that? Mine has it too.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

It's because Gottlieb changed the position that the playfield sits to accommodate a multi level or tall toys inside the same cabinets as non multi level games. When the playfield angle was changed (set lower at the top), the cabinet had to have the plunger area routed at a slight angle to put it back in line with the playfield.

Thanks for the reply, interesting. I always assumed that this was damage caused when moving the game rather than something done at the factory. Have a look at mine though, certainly a lot rougher than example in the picture posted above - could this have been a prototype game where they were still working out the issue and just did a rough job to see if it would work?

DSCN5085.JPGDSCN5085.JPG
DSCN5089.JPGDSCN5089.JPG
DSCN5086-812.JPGDSCN5086-812.JPG

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

... Also, all games that had this "notch" at the plunger had to have 27" legs on the front and 31" legs on the rear to make the ball roll normal. (MGoW, HH, Spirit & Caveman)

Does BlackHole also have the angled cut for the shooter?

#82 9 years ago

Sometimes the plunger assembly works loose and beats up the art work a little. It looks like maybe someone cleaned up some damage on yours, masked it off and repainted it flat black.

Steve

Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks for the reply, interesting. I always assumed that this was damage caused when moving the game rather than something done at the factory. Have a look at mine though, certainly a lot rougher than example in the picture posted above - could this have been a prototype game where they were still working out the issue and just did a rough job to see if it would work?

#83 9 years ago

Black Hole doesn't use 31" legs on the back and it also doesn't have a upper playfield or tube requiring more area so it doesn't need to be routed.

Steve

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Does BlackHole also have the angled cut for the shooter?

#84 9 years ago

Some day I need to play a haunted house

#85 9 years ago

Here is a shot from mine. You can kind of see the routing.

IMG_7307.JPGIMG_7307.JPG
#86 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Some day I need to play a haunted house

One of the neatest games of all time. Not a speed demon, but tons of ingenuity.

1 week later
#87 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

One of the neatest games of all time. Not a speed demon, but tons of ingenuity.

Does it have lastability in a small collection once you get past the initial excitement of 3 playfields? Just curious as I wonder about it and Black Hole as games of interest.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Does it have lastability in a small collection once you get past the initial excitement of 3 playfields? Just curious as I wonder about it and Black Hole as games of interest.

Probably not in a 2-3 game collection. I am partial to HH over Black Hole and actually like the play of Devil's Dare over both.

Haunted House is just a neat game with a great art package and some really cool features (trap door, fall-away target, triple playfields, etc) but, by no means, a desert island pin.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Probably not in a 2-3 game collection. I am partial to HH over Black Hole and actually like the play of Devil's Dare over both.
Haunted House is just a neat game with a great art package and some really cool features (trap door, fall-away target, triple playfields, etc) but, by no means, a desert island pin.

Right on & same here. I wouldn't acquire HH before getting 7-10 of my other faves first. Like it better than Black Hole as well... and agreed that Devil's Dare has the fastest action. But the sound and art package is pretty bad on that one. BUZZ BEEP BUZZ BUZZ BEEP BEEP (infinite repeat) aaaiieeee!

#90 9 years ago

Didn't know that shooter rod area was common. Bought mine last week thought it was damaged but I guess that's factory.20141229_135124.jpg20141229_135124.jpg

#91 9 years ago

Spirit is the best of the three, but good luck finding one...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-haunted-house-huo/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.