Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Things have again changed, and I'm not sure I'll have the time to restore this that I thought I would. I make my pinball life too busy with stuff I need to do, and I need to reduce this to just light maintenance for a while. I have bought a lot of game specific parts for it (new motor rebuild for the spinning disk, all new drop targets, pop bumper cap, rubber rings, some posts, all new yellow switches, other stuff) just in case PBR ran out in the near future. Again, this is a confirmed sample machine serial #1012 S, and thus I'm looking for some value in that.

It plays fine, and pretty fast from what I’ve seen of other vids online. The spinning disk motor works, barely, but obviously needs the rebuild, which I have. I have cut a wire to it as to not burn it out. The credit and PF displays all have “Js”, which seem to change when I play around with the connector from the CPU to the driver, as does the sounds. I have had to replace that connector before, which was my intention on this as well when I got to restoring it, but as it is, these are the only known issues, which I believe are all connector based. I changed all flipper sleeves to get it playing well, just as a little quick fix before a restore.

I’m looking for offers, I know, flame suit on, but as I mentioned in the other thread, there really is little to base this on. I had many offers before when I wasn’t in fact selling, and advised a couple people I was selling again that were really interested, but figured I would start fresh with a new post. Only game in trade I'm looking for is WOZLE.

Rare chance to own a very hard to find machine which is in fact a sample on top of that. I’ll be placing this on the pinball classifieds soon as well. I really enjoy it, but it’s just not going to work, and I’m going to burn myself out soon.

Here was my original thread getting some info on it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spirit

Here is the link to photos:

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/therealatomic/library/Gottlieb%20Spirit

#2 5 years ago

bump

#3 5 years ago

Just sent my Spirit playfield out for a full restore/cc. Can't wait to get it back!

#4 5 years ago

Bump for good game wish i had the money for it as i love to own one. glws

#5 5 years ago

Timing is everything bump! Someone snag this so I can stop agonizing.

#6 5 years ago

To answer PMs as a whole, I'm in London, Ontario, Canada, 1.5 hours north of Detroit, about the same to Buffalo, right off highway 401.

I’m not going to announce the high bid each time, or disclose anyone’s name or pm info, but at this point, high is 6k *just for reference* so I can stop getting the 2-3k offers.

I figured about 8k US for this, so if I can get that in the near future, I’ll be good and someone can get a firm commitment. I’m not trying to be dodgy with the bid/no asking price thing, and I have always posted a price before, but this game really fits into the anomaly for pricing, and given the many values people suggested to me, this is where I hoped to be.

It has been posted on the pinball classifieds which I’m sure reach a lot wider audience, and that should be up in a day or two.

#7 5 years ago

At 6k I'd send it on its way. Ed

#8 5 years ago

Someone re pop this game if it sells for 8k. I sold one to a good friend of mine for $1800, He still has it.

Good luck with your sale.

#9 5 years ago

Since when is a game not worth significantly less with this kind of playfield wear? What is your game worth with a restored playfield installed in it? A "sample game" is typically not worth more unless there are some significant artwork or gameplay differences to it. Even then, I'd say a 5-10% premium over the same "regular release" version of the game in similar condition...

#10 5 years ago

The last part of GAP's statement reflects the problem. I searched long and hard and could not find someone who would part with this game.When I finally did find someone, I had to pay dearly for it. My understanding is the going rate stateside is $5000-$10000 if functional and complete. No chance of a reproduction of this game (never seen a Gottlieb reproduced).

#11 5 years ago

If you have a solid offer for $6K I would take it before they change their mind. A sample Spirit is a rare find but so are the collectors that are willing to pay $6-8K for a project game. If I were you I'd reach out to HEP and see what the true market is on this game and if he has any clients that may be interested. More than likely the buyer of this game would send it to a restorer like him anyway as the buyers with that kind of cash don't usually have time or the restoration skills to work on a game like this. Heck, I've done several restorations including early Bally SS and the thought of restoring a Gottlieb System 80 game like this or Black Hole (which I own) scares the crap out of me!

#12 5 years ago

I have two at that range already, firm, and I'll wait for it to hit Pinball Classifieds. It's not going anywhere for $1800 or anywhere close to that, nice post btw given your pm offer to me.

As I said, flame suit on, but I'm not in a dire need to dump this. As for the restoration part of it, it's really the PF which I have been quoated on for $1k from HSA (I hope it's ok to post that Brian, if not I'll remove) for touch ups and clear, and above that, the cab is in very good shape for the year, and the BG is near perfect. Doesn't seem like a bad restore to me at all, all in all.

I'm actually back in forth in my mind on keeping it, and would like to, but I have been in mini purge mode, sold two machines, and would to get down to about 24 machines in total, so this is why it's coming up.

Again, very VERY rare sought after machine that is a sample... Sorry if I don't see this as a $2k machine.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I’m not going to announce the high bid each time, or disclose anyone’s name or pm info, ...

FS: - For Sale
FA: - For Auction

you're welcome for the bump

good luck with your auction

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

As for the restoration part of it, it's really the PF which I have been quoated on for $1k from HSA (I hope it's ok to post that Brian, if not I'll remove) for touch ups and clear, and above that, the cab is in very good shape for the year, and the BG is near perfect. Doesn't seem like a bad restore to me at all, all in all.

Sending a playfield out to be cleared is the least intimidating part of doing a Sys 80 restoration. The part that scares me is the electronics and the sheer number of mechs you have to deal with. 6 flippers to rebuild, second playfield, etc. You also need to have all your ground mods done and hope you have everything wired correctly when re-populating or else you can seriously f-up the boards. Spirit is also a game where finding parts like plastics and game specific parts would be damn near impossible to find if any need replacing.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's not going anywhere for $1800 or anywhere close to that, nice post btw given your Sorry if I don't see this as a $2k machine.

Keep in mind who is claiming this price.

That said, IMHO 6k is a very solid offer for the current condition of this game.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

FS: - For Sale
FA: - For Auction
you're welcome for the bump
good luck with your auction

FE:- Fishing Expedition

I really don't want to sell it but I will if I can get someone to pay me stupid money for it.
This is why Pinside isn't an auction site, take it to Ebay if you want to see what it is worth.
Good luck with your auction bump.

#17 5 years ago

Is this an auction?

#18 5 years ago

If it's really 1K to get the playfield done, I would do that in a second. I think you could even possibly raise your asking price if you go that route. No one is going to pay more for a sample game where the only difference is that it has an "S" stamped on it.

I'm going to go start stamping S's and X's on all my games if that really makes them worth more!

I think the game is worth a lot more than 2K (to me), but certainly not worth 8K (to me)... Oh, if anyone has a Spirit (in the US) in this condition for less than 5K, shoot me a PM.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Is this an auction?

Sure looks that way to me.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

If it's really 1K to get the playfield done, I would do that in a second. I think you could even possibly raise your asking price if you go that route.

$10k by Xmas

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

FE:- Fishing Expedition
I really don't want to sell it but I will if I can get someone to pay me stupid money for it.
This is why Pinside isn't an auction site, take it to Ebay if you want to see what it is worth.
Good luck with your auction bump.

I am fishing, no doubt. I'm fishing for the market value determined by those that are interested. Again, there is no solid information on the value of this game. I have always sold every game I have ever had with a number, the actual number, not OBO, what I thought it was worth, and other than two machines, they have all sold within a day or two.

This time, given the lack of value information, I'm doing it this way. I've also stated where I would like to be for a "buy it now" range. And I don't want to sell it, this is a true statement, as I did not want to sell my very nice DM, or a couple others I have lately, but reducing the collection is more important now. I've been playing the hell out of it since I got it, more so than any other machine, but I rarely sell, I'm very sentimental over machines I have had for a while, and this has come with lots of thought on what would go. Last in, first out always wins that.

In any case, thanks for all the bumps.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

If it's really 1K to get the playfield done, I would do that in a second. I think you could even possibly raise your asking price if you go that route.

Did you even read the first two lines of my first post? I need to lighten my load, not only of the amount of games, but the time I have to dick around with each every night.

I was super happy to land this, and the parts I bought I think are indicative of the fact of where I was heading with it, but again, it's not going to make the short list.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I am fishing, no doubt. I'm fishing for the market value determined by those that are interested.

Pinside is not an auction site and there isn't a special rule for special games.
If you want to find out what it is worth without dicking around put it on Ebay with an 8K reserve.

#24 5 years ago

Yeah, I read it. Seems like a awful lot of dicking around here (a quasi-auction?) for someone that doesn't want to dick around.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Pinside is not an auction site and there isn't a special rule for special games.
If you want to find out what it is worth without dicking around put it on Ebay with an 8K reserve.

Sorry, am I breaking a rule? I have posted a price. Not even sure I have to do that.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Yeah, I read it. Seems like a awful lot of dicking around here (a quasi-auction?) for someone that doesn't want to dick around.

You're right, so why don't some of you stop then

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that. If anyone is looking to discuss, contact me.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Confucius say:

"Man who go through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok".

#27 5 years ago

Wowsers, that post may mark the official thread blowup!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

The last part of GAP's statement reflects the problem. I searched long and hard and could not find someone who would part with this game.When I finally did find someone, I had to pay dearly for it. My understanding is the going rate stateside is $5000-$10000 if functional and complete. No chance of a reproduction of this game (never seen a Gottlieb reproduced).

I could say the exact same thing about Torpedo Alley. Doesn't automatically make it worth more money.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I could say the exact same thing about Torpedo Alley. Doesn't automatically make it worth more money.

Completely agree. But if you've played the game, then you know how awesome it is, thus generating the demand (at least from me). Plus, it's significant as part of the BH, HH trilogy, and as a Trudeau game. If you search for this title, you'll find its been selling at high dollar amounts for a long time. Way ahead of its time.

#30 5 years ago

Perhaps this is simply a matter of a "preferred protocol" on Pinside. My guess is that most on here prefer when a seller simply posts "for sale - $10K obo", and just quietly accepts the best offer.
You achieve the same result in the end. Best offer wins.

-mof

#31 5 years ago

wow a grand to restore that pf and CLEAR it? nothing against brian at all, but a 1000 dollar resto and clear on that game will make it worth less. I have done several, and I am doing one right now. wow.
Plus if this is such a collector game, worth 8 grand or whatever everyone is saying, it would be smart to not skimp on the most important part. wow 1000 for the resto and clear. wow.

#32 5 years ago

C'mon, really why is everyone giving Atomicboy a hard time?

Yes, we all know that many Pinsiders don't like "auction" or "fishing" posts, but he has said he won't take offers less than $6K - so you can't be too butthurt if he does not respond positively to your $1,800 offer.

So if the game is not worth at least $6k to you, then drain the post, or check back in a few weeks if you are curious about the outcome.

I would NEVER sell a game on eBay, that is terrible advice.

Between their 16% cut and the probability of a Paypal chargeback, you would have to be an idiot to sell an item that expensive on eBay.

Even if a eBay sale nets you an extra $1000, that extra money won't matter a bit when the buyer claims it's counterfeit and you don't get your money or game back.

#33 5 years ago

I've only heard good things about both of your work (to kruzman's post)

#34 5 years ago

Games on hold, thanks for the bumps everyone.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Sure it does. Btw, anyone want mine for 2k can have it. (torpedo ally that is).

#36 5 years ago

They're giving him a hard time because it says "For Sale" in the thread and he said he is taking no offers less than $6000.

I got reamed once for something that said FOR TRADE on this forum, so no special circumstances for anyone; op is auctioning off the game on offers, then it should say "For Offer"

#37 5 years ago

OP-Stick to your guns! Replace the edge connectors, get it working properly, and hold out for 8K. You'll get it! It's a great game and very hard to find for sale anywhere at any price. If I were any closer to you, I would be over to see it in person!

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

OP-Stick to your guns! Replace the edge connectors, get it working properly, and hold out for 8K. You'll get it! It's a great game and very hard to find for sale anywhere at any price. If I were any closer to you, I would be over to see it in person!

It is working, just the credit and PF display that is squirrely. As I said, it has been the most played machine in the last few months since I have finally had time to look at it and get it going, but that is also because it was new.

IF I was to spend any more time, I would likely want to keep it again, and I made the decision to reduce, and I have to stick to it.

Quoted from DreamTR:

I got reamed once for something that said FOR TRADE on this forum, so no special circumstances for anyone; op is auctioning off the game on offers, then it should say "For Offer"

It was never my intention to have a true auction by any means, just taking offers high the first one close to what I was looking for getting it. But again, I wasn't sure what that price really was, so I figured I'd throw it out there, see what people offered, and go from there.

In any case, still on hold now, I'll mark if sold confirmed.

#39 5 years ago

Is the OP selling in Canadian or US Dollars?

#40 5 years ago

US. I figured this would be going to the states, which is the only reason I posted on Pinside. Everything else I sell local or through friends.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside