image-831.jpg
image-488.jpg
image-128.jpg
P1010021.JPG
P1010020.JPG

#1 10 years ago

I have a decent condition Gottlieb "4 Square" wedge head EM pinball machine for
sale. The game is in excellent operating condition. The cabinet is solid,
cabinet paint is in good condition, back glass has the usual flaking in the reds
and flesh areas (Clay Harrel's "bgesto" Web site sells a replacement back
glass). The coin door definitely needs to be removed and cleaned up to address
the typical surface rust.

I've replaced (when possible) or repaired all of the lamp sockets, replaced all
plastic ball guides and posts, replaced the bumper bodies, skirts, and caps,
installed a new line cord, installed a new ball shooter assembly, machine buffed
the playfield, installed new rubber rings and INCANDESCENT lamps (sorry, no
LEDs), new legs, bolts, and levelers. One sling plastic has a small corner
broken off; I have a spare set of used plastics that are in about the same
condition as the ones on the game now. Schematic and operating manual are
included.

This is a classic Gottlieb wedge head EM game from 1971, with flower children,
peace & love, and all that sappy nostalgic stuff for those of us who lived
through that era. It's the last Gottlieb with the short stubby flippers. Game
play seems deceptively simple, but it's a real challenge to complete the 4x4
sequence to light the special targets. Who can forget that solid "THUNK" when a
special is awarded?

Price is $500, and I'm fairly firm on that given the work and parts that have
gone into this machine. Sorry, no shipping; the game must be picked up at my home in Nashua, NH (about an hour north of Boston).

P1010020.JPGP1010020.JPG P1010021.JPGP1010021.JPG // Error: Image 112593 not found //

#2 10 years ago

Cool machine....wish you were closer

1 month later
#3 10 years ago

Looking to trade for any other machines. I live in Litchfield NH. Let me know.

#4 10 years ago

one of my favorite wedgeheads I have had mine over 10 yrs

7 months later
#5 9 years ago

Resurrecting this thread for a Good Friday special: $300 if game is picked up this weekend. I am totally out of storage space and need the room.

The game is presently disassembled but it can be put back together in a few minutes. Send me an e-mail if you're interested.

Tony

#6 9 years ago

4 Square is deceptively fun for a 2-inch flipper game with seemingly not much to shoot for. Decent ruleset, and they usually play fast. $300 is a Bargain with a capital B. WIWC, GLWS, etc.

#7 9 years ago

Email sent. Wedgie time!

#8 9 years ago

Go Dave.

Did you buy it?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Email sent. Wedgie time!

go get it... assuming the pics ain't lying, toss a bgresto glass in that and you have a real nice machine for a VERY good price...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

go get it... assuming the pics ain't lying, toss a bgresto glass in that and you have a real nice machine for a VERY good price...

It's Tony, so the pics aren't lying. If he says it plays well, it plays well.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It's Tony, so the pics aren't lying. If he says it plays well, it plays well.

it's good to know that, i will add him to my "trusted seller" list...

didya get it?

#12 9 years ago

Maybe someone can do this to it. GLWS
image-831.jpgimage-831.jpgimage-488.jpgimage-488.jpgimage-543.jpgimage-543.jpgimage-128.jpgimage-128.jpg

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

Maybe someone can do this to it. GLWS
Image (auto-loading disabled)Image (auto-loading disabled)Image (auto-loading disabled)Image (auto-loading disabled)

image-128.jpg 299 KB

image-488.jpg 336 KB

image-831.jpg 308 KB

image-543.jpg 318 KB

They should have made CARS logo bumper caps to finish the project!

#14 9 years ago

Half way there. One more flight of stairs!

Wedgie in the house!

image-144.jpgimage-144.jpg

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Half way there. One more flight of stairs!
Wedgie in the house!

Excellent acquisition! Congrats on the excellent deal!

Marcus

#17 9 years ago

WTG Dave! Can't wait to play that nice wedgie and what a bargain.

#18 9 years ago

interested to hear how it plays ... i think it is quite similar in rules and play to my gtb strange world??

nice! Ron

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

4 Square is deceptively fun for a 2-inch flipper game with seemingly not much to shoot for. Decent ruleset, and they usually play fast. $300 is a Bargain with a capital B. WIWC, GLWS, etc.

$300 for a nice Gottlieb Wedgehead like 4 Square is a Bargain with a S-T-E-A-L!

Marcus

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

$300 for a nice Gottlieb Wedgehead like 4 Square is a Bargain with a S-T-E-A-L!
Marcus

< nodding head "yes" vigorously >

playfield looks real nice on it too... better than the one on mine... and i paid a lot more than that for mine...

it is a good fun game... the buyer is going to be happy...

#21 9 years ago

You know, you can pull the glass and playfield out before moving the cabinet up a flight of stairs. If you really want to lighten it up, pull the lower score motor board too!!! Very underrated game. I love my 4 Square!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

You know, you can pull the glass and playfield out before moving the cabinet up a flight of stairs. If you really want to lighten it up, pull the lower score motor board too!!! Very underrated game. I love my 4 Square!

big +1 there... an em can be gutted in 2 minutes... might as well take advantage of that...

when my wife helped me pick up a machine, taking it apart made it a LOT easier...

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

< nodding head "yes" vigorously >
playfield looks real nice on it too... better than the one on mine... and i paid a lot more than that for mine...
it is a good fun game... the buyer is going to be happy...

The buyer is overjoyed! Getting it from Tony was quick and easy, with the exception of my talking too much keeping him from his work

If anyone says pinball is too expensive, you point them right at this thread. For 300 bucks I just picked up a fun and fully working pinball machine. Everything worked perfectly, and I have a feeling I'll be dropping quite a few games on this one. It was better than I could have hoped for and it is a fun little game. Yeah, someone call the cops, because I stole it. Even just walking in and paying the asking price I stole it.

I'm a very happy guy right now.

image-304.jpgimage-304.jpg

#24 9 years ago

^^^

wicked cool!

a killer deal on a real good game... glad someone who appreciates that got the machine...

#25 9 years ago

Wow,

That playfield really shines......

And it works - all for $300 - I'm jealous

You can go here for instruction and score cards: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#26 9 years ago

You got a really great game in great condition at a great price.

I picked up a 4 Square awhile back. Mine has been a work in progress. I've just stripped, touched up, and clearcoated the playfield. It now has a nice shine, but I still don't think my pf will look as nice when done.

4Sqcc.jpg4Sqcc.jpg

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Wow,
That playfield really shines......
And it works - all for $300 - I'm jealous
You can go here for instruction and score cards: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Oh Tony included them. I just hadn't put them in yet when I snapped that picture.

Quoted from RTS:

You got a really great game in great condition at a great price.
I picked up a 4 Square awhile back. Mine has been a work in progress. I've just stripped, touched up, and clearcoated the playfield. It now has a nice shine, but I still don't think my pf will look as nice when done.

4Sqcc.jpg 113 KB

Wow! Nope, yours takes it. This one is in very nice original condition. He did a fantastic job cleaning it up. But that clearcoat job looks crazy. I bet that is going to play like lightning when you're done.

#28 9 years ago

That game looks like it is just a simple but flat out fun game..

I bet it presents much more challenge that it visually portrays...

Good deal congrats....

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

That game looks like it is just a simple but flat out fun game..
I bet it presents much more challenge that it visually portrays...
Good deal congrats....

it is and it does... i have mine set up pretty steep with a really "loose" tilt and it is much fun... there are multiple wagering opportunities as well...

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

there are multiple wagering opportunities as well...

Totally agree. The challenge goes beyond the score.

It's tough to light the special, so you could apply a monetary value on who lights the most inserts. Or if you manage to light the special, wager on who gets the knocker to fire the most.

What the game may lack in aesthetic beauty, it more than compensates in challenge.

I like the backglass art. It looks like Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Totally agree. The challenge goes beyond the score.
It's tough to light the special, so you could apply a monetary value on who lights the most inserts. Or if you manage to light the special, wager on who gets the knocker to fire the most.

yup... another one we play is trying to only have only a "complete row" lit at the end of a game... if you light all 4 rows for the special, it doesn't count... this is not as easy as it sounds... this "wager" is fun because it really isn't as much "one on one", it is more you vs. the machine for a potential payoff... when a player starts a game, they toss a coin in a bowl (we usually do dimes, not a lot of high stakes wagering going on here... ), and it is winner take all...

Quoted from RTS:

I like the backglass art. It looks like Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched.

i'm REALLY glad you mentioned that, because "she" has always looked vaguely familiar, and i could never place her...

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm a very happy guy right now.

You just got one of the best bargains of the year at that price and condition. 4 Square is a total blast to play with just the right balance between "that's not hard to accomplish" and "oh so close but not quite".

Have fun.

Mike O.

#33 9 years ago

I can say that 4 square is in my top ten wedgeheads, i had one for 11yrs i just sold it. i was offered a price i could not refuse. i am on the look out for another, to replace the one i lost.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

You just got one of the best bargains of the year at that price and condition. 4 Square is a total blast to play with just the right balance between "that's not hard to accomplish" and "oh so close but not quite".
Have fun.
Mike O.

Thats what makes a good EM a good EM...

#35 9 years ago

Does anyone have a scan of the 4 Square schematics? I bought a copy from Pinball Resource and can't remember where I placed it. It sucks to buy it again, but will do if no one has a scan. .

I need to see the section that shows the normal switch positions for the switches in the cabinet on that assembly that swings up when opened with a thumb screw near the back, left side.)

#36 9 years ago

I found my schematics.

I scanned them this time. It anyone needs a copy...

7 years later
#37 2 years ago

Going to see one today. 2021 ending and pinball machine prices are getting crazy! TZ for $12k really?

So $850 on 4 Square sounds agreeable since it looks great.
We'll see?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-gottlieb-4-square-wedge-head-em-pinball-machine-500-nashua-nh?hl=pinchild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.