(Topic ID: 291118)

FS: Devil's Dare, owned by the game's original designer!

By DesignerTom

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by radial_head
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image3 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
image5 (resized).jpeg
image4 (resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#1 1 year ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

for sale

FS: Devil's Dare, owned by the game's original designer!

Added: 2021-03-31 Ended: April 24th, 2021
Condition: Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean

Price

$ 1,500 (OBO)

Open for offers

Item description

This machine is fully functional, and being sold by Tom Szafranski, the man who designed the machine, and is its original owner!

Tom was a freelance engineer and game designer for many years, who worked with Gottlieb, Wilco, and others. Tom designed, among others, Devil's Dare, Punk!, Volcano, and Wilco's rare Af-tor.

He is, as you would expect, extremely knowledgeable regarding the game's inner workings, gameplay, maintenance, and such.

This machine is in excellent working order. It has been in Tom's care and possession since its manufacture.

If you would like for Tom to sign it for you, provide you with details of the game's development and design, or any other one-of-a-kind bonuses that come with buying from the original designer, just let us know!

Thank you for looking!
(P.S. This ad was posted by Tom's son-in-law on his behalf. Tom is very knowledgeable with pinball designs and arcade machines, but slightly less so with modern tech

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=673

Date Of Manufacture: August, 1982
Model Number: 670
Common Abbreviations: DD
MPU: Gottlieb System 80A
Type: Solid State Electronic (SS) [?]
Production: 3,832 units (confirmed)
Theme: Fantasy
Specialty: Widebody
Notable Features: Flippers (3), Pop bumpers (3), Slingshots (4), Spinning targets (2), 5-bank drop targets (2), 3-bank drop targets (1), Standup targets (12), Kick-out hole (1), Middle left-side kickback lane, Left outlane kickback, dual inlanes, Multiball.
Design by: Tom Szafransky (sic)

Item photos

image4 (resized).jpeg
image5 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
image3 (resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Seller contributed to Pinside for selling this item!

Item location

Portland, OR, US

Seller insights

These are DesignerTom's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

N/A

Go to DesignerTom's stats page

#2 1 year ago

do you always speak about yourself in the third-person?

#3 1 year ago

Could Tom give us a few more details on games
Inner workings

#4 1 year ago

sniff test says april fools ad

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Initiative:

sniff test says april fools ad

Made an account just for that?

#commitment

#6 1 year ago

Ugh. I wish this wasn't an April Fool's joke. That would be such a cool piece of history AND it looks to be in pretty good shape cosmetically.

#7 1 year ago

This is legit, Tom lives in Portland and I've talked with him on a few occasions so this ad passes my sniff test so far. From what I gather his son in law is selling it for him. Tom told me he has one of every game he designed besides PUNK! Totally nice guy, I am sure he'd fill the buyer in on whatever they wanted to know.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from KHL:

Totally nice guy, I am sure he'd fill the buyer in on whatever they wanted to know.

Why's he selling it so cheap

#9 1 year ago

Given the location, I’m surprised this has not been snapped up. I know I’d love to have it if I were closer...

#10 1 year ago

I don't know...., that cabinet looks pretty beat for being the original owner and not to mention it's got two drill holes in the front on each side of the coin door. Something is not right here.

John

#11 1 year ago

The artwork on this game always gave me the creeps. Good luck with the sale, though... the price seems fair given the history.

#12 1 year ago

If this is an April Fool's joke, please let us know. Ya got us.
If it is real, cool! GLWS!

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from KHL:

This is legit, Tom lives in Portland and I've talked with him on a few occasions so this ad passes my sniff test so far. From what I gather his son in law is selling it for him. Tom told me he has one of every game he designed besides PUNK! Totally nice guy, I am sure he'd fill the buyer in on whatever they wanted to know.

I had a Punk!
Very cool game, one of a handful I wish I didn’t sell.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I don't know...., that cabinet looks pretty beat for being the original owner and not to mention it's got two drill holes in the front on each side of the coin door. Something is not right here.
John

My thoughts also, especially if he is the designer, one would think this would be his baby and be proud of it and not let it get like picture #2

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from dhard:

Why's he selling it so cheap

Is it cheap?

#16 1 year ago

You can't even get the one that got thrown off the roof awhile back for under $1500 these days

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!