Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jibmums
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_5434.jpg
100_5406.jpg
shes_a_beaut_clark_b_shirt.jpg
s22.JPG
s21.JPG
s20.JPG
s18.JPG
s17.JPG
s16.JPG
s15.JPG
s14.JPG
s13.JPG
s12.JPG
s11.JPG
s10.JPG
index.jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Someone called me selling a DE Simpsons for a good price but don't want it so thought I would try to pass it on. If your able to go pick it up without any hassles message me and i'll give you the guy's info.
thanx
Ron NY Pinball

#2 5 years ago

PM sent. I was just thinking last week, I'm a big Simpsons TV show fan, why don't I look for a Simpsons machine?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

PM sent. I was just thinking last week, I'm a big Simpsons TV show fan, why don't I look for a Simpsons machine?

Congrats on the machine if you are first. 2nd dibs! hah

#4 5 years ago

PM also Sent... I can pick it up today / right now for 300 ?! lemme know !

#5 5 years ago

pm sent, just in case!

#6 5 years ago

spoken for! if the deal doesn't work out i'll post again. Hope it finds a good home.
Ron

#7 5 years ago

Cowabunga! Finally first in line for something. Heading over there soon.

#8 5 years ago

Post some pics after you get it. Would love to see what condition its in for only $300.

#9 5 years ago

doesn't matter what the condition is, it's worth it alone if all the boards are there.

#10 5 years ago

That was a Very cool thing that NYP did! Congrats jibmums!~SpOoKy

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

doesn't matter what the condition is, it's worth it alone if all the boards are there.

Absolutely. Curiosity is killing me as to why someone would sell it for only $300.

Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

That was a Very cool thing that NYP did! Congrats jibmums!~Spooky

Yes it was.

#12 5 years ago

Yep, kudos and thanks go to NYP indeed. Just got home with it, and I will post pix and story (and it's an interesting story) once I'm fed and cleaned up. Man it was a hot one out there today.

#13 5 years ago

Killer deal dude. Congrats.

#14 5 years ago

Ron's a good guy - glad he's posting his deals here.

Congrats on the pickup!

viperrwk

#15 5 years ago

Yummy and delicious

#16 5 years ago

Can't wait to see what a $300 DE Simpsons looks like!!! Congrats on the pick up.

#17 5 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen Got a guy a Millionaire a few weeks ago for $100 and he said he was going to post pics but didn't , some people, hmm..... I would like to see pics out of curiosity, problem is if it's REALLY nice I might kick myself, but I have to admit it feels good to save them and find them a good home and sometimes I have too many games so I pass them on to others, glad you guys don't seem to mind

#18 5 years ago

If I remember correctly, Ron's old email handle was "Ronscore." We should coin that phrase to refer to any time someone scores a cheap game on a tip from Ron

-BB

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

exactly, great deal

#20 5 years ago

Sorry guys....I've got pics, just really really busy with work today, haven't had a chance to post them, and I have to find some time later to pick up the main cabinet too (only brought the backbox home last night). Don't worry Ron, it's nicer than I would have thought for a $300 machine but it still needs a lot of cleanup and a lot of work. The boards are like new, except for the batteries which might even be original, doesn't look like any leakage hit the board though. Backglass is perfect except for two 3mm areas of missing paint. Playfield is day-1 mylar, so everything under the mylar is perfect, stuff like ball lock holes have some slight wear, but it's really a nice pf. Cabinet white is a bit dingy but the ink colors are unfaded, I've seen plenty of Simpsons where the colors were totally washed out. I'll try to get pix up tonight.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Sorry guys....I've got pics, just really really busy with work today, haven't had a chance to post them, and I have to find some time later to pick up the main cabinet too (only brought the backbox home last night). Don't worry Ron, it's nicer than I would have thought for a $300 machine but it still needs a lot of cleanup and a lot of work. The boards are like new, except for the batteries which might even be original, doesn't look like any leakage hit the board though. Backglass is perfect except for two 3mm areas of missing paint. Playfield is day-1 mylar, so everything under the mylar is perfect, stuff like ball lock holes have some slight wear, but it's really a nice pf. Cabinet white is a bit dingy but the ink colors are unfaded, I've seen plenty of Simpsons where the colors were totally washed out. I'll try to get pix up tonight.

Good for you! That doesn't sound bad at all. index.jpg

#22 5 years ago

Sounds like a great deal! Hard to find this title with a very nice pf. Looking forward to pics!

#23 5 years ago

So, the story from the seller's son is, back in the 1991 this new machine was given to a sick young girl he was friends with by the Make-a-Wish Foundation and the "actual company". No idea if this means Data East or the producers of the Simpsons, and I was too busy taking it apart to think to ask. There's no documentation of that or of it being an HUO machine so it's all conjecture, but it sure does have me curious. The lockdown bar receiver is the first I've seen that isn't covered in rust from years of drinks being spilled on it, so maybe it never did indeed see time on a route.

Anyways - overall condition is pretty good but dirty. Flippers need a total rebuild, some solenoids need resleeving and replacing. Plastics are in great shape except for a few paint rub-throughs from screw underneath. Ramps are good but the yellow one is peeling, what were these originally, plastic-dipped? The "bowling" drop targets took a beating; one is missing its head and one has the top broken off and a nail inserted in its place! Machine boots into attract mode but won't start a game, I don't know if it's a battery issue or something else. the playfield glass still has its original "Data East Excellence in Quality" label, which is a cool touch. I'd like to repaint the legs, lockdown bar and coindoor but I don't know what paint to use, it looks like wrinkle-finish? I'm sure I will have lots of questions for you guys as I take it apart. On to the photos!

s10.JPGs11.JPGs12.JPGs13.JPGs14.JPGs15.JPGs16.JPGs17.JPGs18.JPGs20.JPGs21.JPGs22.JPG

#24 5 years ago

Nice score! Congrats! Shop it out and that thing will look beautiful.

#26 5 years ago

Dude that is awesome!

#27 5 years ago

Thanks guys. The white of the cabinet has faded over the years to a sort of ivory, but I'm happy that the silkscreened colors are still vibrant. Simple Green is taking off a lot of dirt and it's really looking better, especially the front. The few parts I've taken off the playfield are really cleaning up nicely too. This machine is ve-rrrry dirty.

Anyone have a couple of cooling tower bumper caps for sale, or know where to find them? I hear the Stern ones fit but the originals look SO much better.

#29 5 years ago

Too late to change my mind ???? This will be the LAST time I give away any deals......just kidding, glad you scored a nice one, enjoy!

#30 5 years ago

That is actually a pretty nice de simpsons, congrats

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Too late to change my mind ???? This will be the LAST time I give away any deals......just kidding, glad you scored a nice one, enjoy!

Yep, sorry Ron, but thanks again for the heads-up. Funny, this was like an "instant gratification" score for me, I didn't even want one until just last week.

Now to track down all those hard to find parts like the DE logo red plunger handle.....

#32 5 years ago

shes_a_beaut_clark_b_shirt.jpg

#33 5 years ago

Nice score indeed!!!!

#34 5 years ago

Can someone tell me what this thing is at the top of the CPU, and why it has what looks like hot glue around it? There's another one (at least one) and it also has what looks like hot glue. Odd way to attach electronic components, if that's original.

100_5406.jpg

#35 5 years ago

not only is that normal but those boards look pretty clean, believe it or not they're all like that, looks rough but true, you sure were in the right place at the right time

#36 5 years ago

Awesome score! try some light pressure magic eraser/water on the white. Worked wonders for my wh20 cab.

#37 5 years ago

amazing deal! better than TSPP.

#38 5 years ago

Take those batteties out! I can see the acid leaking in the last pic. I bet thatscwhy it wont boot too.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Awesome score! try some light pressure magic eraser/water on the white. Worked wonders for my wh20 cab.

I completely forgot about Magic Eraser, thanks for the reminder!

Quoted from NYP:

not only is that normal but those boards look pretty clean, believe it or not they're all like that, looks rough but true, you sure were in the right place at the right time

The boards look like they're brand new...it's a thing of beauty. Are Data East boards hard to come by or something?

Quoted from erak:

Take those batteties out! I can see the acid leaking in the last pic. I bet thatscwhy it wont boot too.

That's the first thing I checked when I opened the head. The batteries are coming out this weekend. I'll probably clip out the holder as well since the acid has hit that, and then solder in a remote holder.

#40 5 years ago

Very nice find indeed!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Anyone have a couple of cooling tower bumper caps for sale, or know where to find them? I hear the Stern ones fit but the originals look SO much better.

I think I have one NOS one and maybe 1-2 other used ones that aren't too bad. I originally wanted the originals on mine but the new Red Stern ones are sooooooo much better, Thicker plastic, easier installation, they make a wonderful sound when they pop. The old design is garbage.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Can someone tell me what this thing is at the top of the CPU, and why it has what looks like hot glue around it? There's another one (at least one) and it also has what looks like hot glue. Odd way to attach electronic components, if that's original.

100_5406.jpg 117 KB

I think it's the boards cock ring. Basically allows the board to last longer.

#43 5 years ago

I would be VERY careful before using a magic eraser on any data east cabinet.

#44 5 years ago

That's a Ronscore if I ever saw one!!!

Ron is da man!

#45 5 years ago

Congrats Dennis! Just fantastic Ron!

#46 5 years ago

Congrats on the great score!

#47 5 years ago

Wow, that's a wicked deal! Congrats!

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

That is an inductor on the 5v line coming into the board acting as a choke. It is original. The glue keeps the whole assembly on the board since there are just two wire ends soldered to the board. It's rated at 44mH.

viperrwk

#49 5 years ago

Hey Ron, I just found this very dirty business card in the coinbox. Guess you must have worked on this machine at some point!

100_5434.jpg

#50 5 years ago

Wow that's a really old card, don't really even do Jukeboxes anymore and very little video game work, phone numbers still the same as is the email address. Seems the guy didn't maintain it very often, consider yourself very lucky if those batteries didn't leak!

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside