DSC_0069_zpsf209f7dc (1).JPG
DSC_0017_zps857f140a.JPG
DSC_0025_zps452324ba.JPG
DSC_0036_zps7bf8b631.JPG
DSC_0041_zpsbc475ec6.JPG
DSC_0049_zps64668817.JPG
DSC_0042_zpsa8c39a5d.JPG
DSC_0051_zpsae8118d7.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miamiredskin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello!

Up for sale is a rather special game - The Addams Family Gold #881. This is a 100% Authentic TAFG - made in 1994 with all serial numbers matching. A friend of a friend knew of a family who owned this in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, the husband passed away who owned the machine and the whole estate went up for sale. My friend notified me and the woman handling the estate and I purchased the machine. They knew what they had but they had but with some recent events in my personal life (planning a wedding, etc) this is not the time for me to take on this project.

I just received the game here in Chicago and it is now up for sale. Unfortunately, the machine does not come with the certificate but it does have the original metal plate still bolted on the machine, a correct serial number, original manual and operator book, and an original playfield stamped from 1994 when the TAFG machines were produced.

This machine is for sale as-is. This machine was stored in a heated garage for the last 7 or so years and it has not been played. The gold plated side rails, lockdown bar, and wire form ramp are showing their age as you can see in the pictures. You might be able to clean those up but I am not sure. I know Mike Chestnut offers very affordable re-plating and replacement parts for this machine so that could also be an option.

The Pros -

The playfield is beautiful. The TAFG machines had new playfields used for them which were different than the original TAF machines. The colors are much more vibrant and by having owning a regular TAF before, you can definitely see the more vibrant colors and details. I ordered a scoop protector from Cliffy before the machine arrived, so I installed that as you can see but there was very little wear to start. As you can see, there is no mansion wear (there is no decal over the mansion - this is the original playfield), there is no wear by the swamp, vault, thing hole, or greed letters. No magnet burn or any inlane damage. The shooter lane even looks very, very nice. The ramps are original and I can't find a crack or any damage on them. I tried to capture every part of the playfield in the pictures to give any potential buyers a full glimpse of the machine. I can't find any damages plastics or anything missing. The rubbers even look decent - not falling apart but could use a cleaning or replacement.

The cabinet is in very nice shape. No flipper button wear and both sides and heads look very nice. There is some slight damage on the right lower head that has been pictured. This happened when the machine was picked up by the delivery company. The cabinet has no structural issues or any place where it is separating. It is very nice. The machine does look like it had a lockdown bar on it at some point in its life and was repaired. The repair looks pretty decent (pictured).

The machine comes with the original topper and it looks nice from what I have seen. No damage over the DMD plastic screen or anything else cosmetic.

Some Cons -

The machine powers on - dmd is strong with no burn, all GI and features lights work, and as far as I can tell, all the mechs are working great. Thing works very smoothly, all pop bumpers work, swamp kickout is strong, electric chair is great, etc. Bookcase moves great, proximity sensors are working 100% in front of bookcase, thing flips works, etc. The flippers seem to have a lot of power but both of the bottom flippers could use new sleeves. They sometimes get stuck up so it seems there is some friction there. I can feel the left side has some resistance going up and down, so again, with new sleeves (which I have on hand), the flipper will be strong and play great. Sound is loud and clear. I think there is something wrong with the trough - it is kicking out multiple balls and sometimes can't detect them there. I think this is something simple to address. Mechanically, there doesn't seem to be much work to do, but as you can see from the pictures, there is ample cleaning that needs addressing under the playfield.

As you can see from the detailed pictures of the boards, there appears to be some acid damage or some white residue/oxidation near the battery holder. I replaced the batteries and from the tests and play time I have put on the machine, I don't think this is affecting anything gameplay or mechanical. I don't think boards need to be replaced or even heavily worked on - I think if you clean the boards that would be enough, but again, I am not certain. The translate is 99% perfect except for 3 small wear marks pictured. You can't tell when it is on the machine but they are there. The machine needs some new bulbs as some are out as well.

As you can see from the bottom of the playfield, the mechs need some cleaning. It was stored in the garage for some years - there is some dust residue and oxidation over some of the metal parts and mechs. It just seems to be surface damage that will come off with cleaning. The cabinet is very clean and I haven't done any to it yet. I just don't have the room, time, or patience to do the right cleaning this machine needs.

That is pretty much all I know from the machine now. I have had it less than 3 hours and only did a very quick wipe-down and installed the gold cliffy protector. I live in downtown Chicago but this is at my parent's house in South Barrington, Illinois. If you need some more pictures, I could have my mom snap some but I am now back in the city so the pictures won't as good as the ones I am posting here. If you want to come out and look at the machine, it would have to be during the weekend when I can come to the suburbs. I am open to shipping the machine - no problem. It is located on the 1st floor and no stairs or anything crazy to maneuver.

I don't think I left anything out. This is a fantastic opportunity to own a piece of pinball history. You don't see these come up for sale that often in especially a lower price given most are fully restored or fully shopped or priced at retail. I contacted the person who runs the TAFG owner list and he is ready to add my information in. I didn't want to put my personal name on there if this game sells quickly - I can leave that up to the discretion of the new owner. Please let me know if you have any questions you would like answered and I will try my best.

Here is a link to over 180 pictures. Please start from page 8 and go backwards. It starts with the outside of the machine, playfield, boards, under playfield, then inside cabinet.

I am asking $Sold for the machine as it sits as-is. It's hard to tell recent sales, but from what I can tell right now, this machine just needs a tear-down cleaning. If you stick most of the parts in a tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner under the playfield, this machine will look fantastic. It already plays well in this dirty condition and I can't think of any other large expense. Mike Chestnut can refurbish and provide a whole new set of rails, lockdown bar, legs, and wireform for around $500.

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/staver/library/TAFG?sort=3&page=8

DSC_0079_zps7a3e99b1.JPGDSC_0079_zps7a3e99b1.JPG
DSC_0069_zpsf209f7dc.JPGDSC_0069_zpsf209f7dc.JPG
DSC_0055_zps18e3dee2.JPGDSC_0055_zps18e3dee2.JPG
DSC_0051_zpsae8118d7.JPGDSC_0051_zpsae8118d7.JPG
DSC_0049_zps64668817.JPGDSC_0049_zps64668817.JPG
DSC_0042_zpsa8c39a5d.JPGDSC_0042_zpsa8c39a5d.JPG
DSC_0041_zpsbc475ec6.JPGDSC_0041_zpsbc475ec6.JPG
DSC_0036_zps7bf8b631.JPGDSC_0036_zps7bf8b631.JPG
DSC_0025_zps452324ba.JPGDSC_0025_zps452324ba.JPG
DSC_0017_zps857f140a.JPGDSC_0017_zps857f140a.JPG
// Error: Image 347001 not found //
// Error: Image 347002 not found //
// Error: Image 347003 not found //
// Error: Image 347004 not found //

#3 9 years ago

DSC_0064_zps668ebe07.JPGDSC_0064_zps668ebe07.JPG DSC_0068_zps1eb3d6ae.JPGDSC_0068_zps1eb3d6ae.JPG DSC_0069_zpsf209f7dc (1).JPGDSC_0069_zpsf209f7dc (1).JPG DSC_0041_zpsbc475ec6 (1).JPGDSC_0041_zpsbc475ec6 (1).JPG
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Price?
----
Sorry, found it buried in the mountain of words. $7950
Post edited by roc-noc: Found it.

Just trying to be as thorough as I can

#7 9 years ago

More pictures..

DSC_0058_zpsdda5af0e.JPGDSC_0058_zpsdda5af0e.JPG DSC_0062_zpsedb58247.JPGDSC_0062_zpsedb58247.JPG DSC_0163_zpsd5817161.JPGDSC_0163_zpsd5817161.JPG DSC_0170_zps406b78d7.JPGDSC_0170_zps406b78d7.JPG
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Picture of damage would be helpful for potential buyers
Edit, didn't see link to photobucket. A little clearer picture might be useful though

I tried to take as many pictures as I could to cover every part of this machine. I do see the board came out a little blurry but I still think it is detailed enough to see all of the areas. If anyone needs more pictures, I will try and get some when I make it back to the suburbs.

#13 9 years ago

Bump - could be open to trades or partial trades but a cash sale is preferred

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

This pin came from an estate sale, so it probably sat for awhile.

The garage was heated. I don't know all of the history of the machine, but again, it is a very nice example with an amazing playfield. Once the mechs are cleaned, this will be the prize in someone's collection.

#22 9 years ago

MLK Day Bump!

#24 9 years ago

Price dropped to $7550

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

That's a steal,
If I didn't already have such a minter I'd bite your arm off for this
Good luck with your sale!

Ty I am seriously considering cleaning it myself and keeping it. You don't see Addams Gold up for sale for this price as they are usually decked out and 100% restored, so this is a great opportunity for someone to do what they want to this machine and get it for a deal!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

How much is shipping too Canada Ontario for this machine and ideas ?

Not quite sure.. and I believe there are some taxes that need to be paid when machines cross the boarder as well. I have never shipped a machine or had one shipped across boarders, so someone with more experience should chime in.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

You may be better off shopping / fixing the game and then offering it up again.

If i shop and clean it up, it will stay in my collection. It's easier to let it go now without putting in the work but I may go that route.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Anyone notice the big chunk out of the backbox?

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but there isn't a large chunk missing. When the machine was being moved at the owner's house, it rubbed against a piece of furniture causing minimal damage. Maybe the camera and pictures are embellishing it, but I wouldn't say the damage is extreme

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

This one

DSC_0023_zps2aee3217.jpg 59 KB

Yes - The pictures make it a lot more exaggerated than it is. I was using a micro lens very up close but in person, it is really not terrible ... but it is there. Thanks for pointing that out.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from finalboss:

Was the answer to this ever posted?

I can take pictures of the scoop below the cliffy - no problem at all. I haven't been able to make it to the suburbs to get pictures but I will post them when I do (we have a lot of snow here!). The scoop is not perfect and shows some wear, but it's far from "blown out." Hopefully you can see how nice the playfield is from the pictures I posted - the mansion and all other inserts look beautiful and very, very vibrant. No magnet burn or anything to be concerned with.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Any pics under that Cliffy

I was by the machine yesterday evening showing the machine to a local pinsider but completely forgot to take the clffy off to photograph. If a local pinsider wants to inspect the machine, I would be more than happy to take it off with them to show the scoop. From what I can remember, there is some minor wear around the sides of the scoop. It doesn't peak out from the cliffy but there is some sign of wear on it. The scoop isn't perfect. The cliffy is bronzed by Cliff himself, by the way and it looks quite nice on the machine!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

30,000 (OBO)
$ 1,159.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miamiredskin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-chicagotafg-addams-family-gold-project-needs-cleaningas-is?tu=miamiredskin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.