Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MtnFrost
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MnHotRod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

This machine needs a playfield swap, new plastics and some work to be nice. Could be a decent players machine if you are so inclined.

Why Sell? Been searching for a Centaur for a long time. Bought this one with little more than some blurry photos. Had my mind set on doing a playfield swap. Got the machine yesterday, set it up and decided doing a swap may be over my head.

Details: Cabinet and backbox are pretty nice. Original backglass has some chipping but is not releasing anywhere and looks pretty good. Clear plastics are yellowed. Playfield should be swapped out. Previous owner attempted repair in worn areas on playfield. Looks ok from a distance but the clear was brushed on and looks pretty bad up close. Missing the Say It Again board and the harness that goes with it. One of the LED's has a line out, a solenoid on one of the flipper bumpers needs some help, the Orbs multi-ball kicks out balls if fed manually but machine is not auto-feeding balls into the kicker, lock on the cabinet door is missing.

I haven't spent much time with the machine. Got it up and running late last night and went to bed. If your looking to do a playfield swap on a Centaur, this could be the machine you are looking for.

Would like to ask potential buyers to check it out in person so they know what they are getting.

Hi Rez Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/sets/72157632186564779/show

Asking $1600.

#8 11 years ago

It's nice to see so much support here. I've been back into pins for all of four or five weeks now and I have met some great people. Looking at the playfield last night, a questioned I raised to Millz was "When doing the swap, when does the ground wire get put in." Looks like the Bally put it in last, after everything else was populated. Is there a good place to see the swap process for a similar Bally?

Millz gave me some heads up on a local that could do the swap. I started adding up the numbers and it may make more sense to get a "nicer" DMD right now.

The hardest part of the swap for me right now is the unknown related to finding a playfield. I've got a line on a nice used one but it would need to be restored. That adds two unknown costs. How much for a worthy swap candidate and how much to restore it. With conservative numbers, I'm north of $3k rough estimate. At that investment cost, I could be looking at some "nicer" dmd's that may be more fun to play.

I should stop typing but I thought this may be entertaining to some. You should know that I haven't played pins, pretty much at all, since the early 80's. That means every pin since 1984 is new to me. I'm like a kid in a candy store. The more games I play, the more my desire for Centaur gets blurred.

Will I kick myself for selling this Centaur. Yes.

#10 11 years ago

Lloyd - Stopping by on my way home from work. Will see you in a few.

#14 11 years ago

I fear MtnFrost may be accurate. It will be hard to find a replacement with a better cab and backbox than this one. The coin door, hinges and mechanism will look beautiful with some Flitze. With Rusty's hint towards a lower price on his, it all comes down to what you are looking for.

Selling this one will give me time to find a nice playfield. When that is done, next week or two years from now, I can start the search for a machine again. Will pricing be higher and machines harder to find than they are now. I'm guessing yes.

Traveism - Thanks for the detailed response, reading it helps me get past the idea of ever doing the swap myself. Your description of the work is worth $500 all day long for me. I would rather work the over time and pick up the playfield when the work is done.

#16 11 years ago

If CPR was thinking about another run within three years, it might be enough for me to keep the machine. Can anyone confirm that?

#18 11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Found Mike on RGP and sent him an email.

#19 11 years ago

Sold to crassmage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MnHotRod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-centaur-in-minneapolis-1600?tu=MnHotRod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.