translite_bram_stokers_dracula_pinball_williams_01.jpg
image-146.jpg
image-200.jpg
image-550.jpg
image-490.jpg
image-75.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Just got this translite in to replace mine due to a scratch. It's a reproduction translite. When I installed it, I felt it was too bright. I could have changed out my lights, but I opted to get some paint pens and some laminating pouches and did some "touch up" work to my original one. So I won't need the reproduction one now.

Asking $80 shipped. Let me know if you have any questions.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

bump and a request to post pics of your touch-up work

#3 10 years ago

Before (with machine on)

image-75.jpgimage-75.jpg

#4 10 years ago

After (with machine on)

image-550.jpgimage-550.jpgimage-490.jpgimage-490.jpg

#5 10 years ago

After (with machine off & picture from backside)

image-146.jpgimage-146.jpg image-200.jpgimage-200.jpg
#6 10 years ago

thanks, definite improvement and that's basically the exact same scratch I have - must be a bulb right there

#7 10 years ago

NOTE: the pictures above are of my original translite (not the reproduction one)

After reading a few other posts, I got some paint pens and then I got some business card sized laminating pouches. I have 3 layers of pouch taped over the area. The nice thing about the pouches are that I can color both sides to lighten or darken the area. It's just hard to get the effect right for the sake of light passing through. I have 3 layers (each double sided). The front is orange spots to line up with the lines in the art, then yellow, then white, then yellow, and then orange to help darken it again a bit. It may not be perfect, or even good/great, but it pulls my eyes away from staring at it.

#8 10 years ago

Man, for a Williams pin that translite looks a lot like something Stern would do. Might make a fun alt translite project ...

Nice touchup job, I bet you don't even notice if if you're not looking for it.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, for a Williams pin that translite looks a lot like something Stern would do. Might make a fun alt translite project ...
Nice touchup job, I bet you don't even notice if if you're not looking for it.

Yes do it!!! BSD's translite is so friggin ugly...I will be your first customer

#10 10 years ago

There is an alternate translite out there I believe. Not sure how available it is, but it's hard to deny the light effects that they lined up with the artwork, so it makes it a tough change.

Also, I still notice it, but not as much, but I needed to point it out to my friend before he saw it. It's a shame it looks like it's matched so much more before the light hits it.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

There is an alternate translite out there I believe. Not sure how available it is, but it's hard to deny the light effects that they lined up with the artwork, so it makes it a tough change.

Yeah, lining up the art with the lights is totally key. Makes things tricky, you really have to design on multiple levels, with my Shadow translite I would shift things around a lot to take advantage of lights when I would have done it differently if I was making just a poster or something.

I'll see if I can google up that alternate out of curiosity.

#12 10 years ago

Found it. Meh, just a crop of the movie poster, lame.

Anyways, I like tinkering with this stuff, we'll see. Didn't mean to derail your thread, someone needs a translite I'm sure!

#13 10 years ago

I too, have the exact scratch on mine. I just used that white-out tape on the back side. Like yours, it doesn't look perfect, but I'm not staring at it.

GLWTS - if mine was worse off, I'd jump on it.

#14 10 years ago

here's the only alternate I saw, but I agree that I don't think the lights would work and BSD has a nice light show on BG and PF.

(note: some of their alternate translites are NSFW)
http://www.pinballwizard.nl/contents/en-us/d1087_Bram_Stokers_Dracula_williams_flipperkast_translite_alternatief.html
translite_bram_stokers_dracula_pinball_williams_01.jpgtranslite_bram_stokers_dracula_pinball_williams_01.jpg

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, lining up the art with the lights is totally key. Makes things tricky, you really have to design on multiple levels, with my Shadow translite I would shift things around a lot to take advantage of lights when I would have done it differently if I was making just a poster or something.

Quoted from Aurich:

Making a new lamp board for something worthy of doing it for wouldn't be bad.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Making a new lamp board for something worthy of doing it for wouldn't be bad.

Yeah, I mean it's doable for a personal project for sure, but if I make them for other people to enjoy too it's not really reasonable. Very few people want to make a new lamp board just to buy an alt translite.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from gtown:

here's the only alternate I saw, but I agree that I don't think the lights would work and BSD has a nice light show on BG and PF.

Yeah, that's the one I meant, it's just a cropped movie poster. That's pretty weak IMHO to even be selling that, just straight up jacked something else.

They moved the logo up and called it a day.

bram-stokers-dracula-movie-poster-1992-1020190922.jpgbram-stokers-dracula-movie-poster-1992-1020190922.jpg

2 months later
#18 10 years ago

Bump - in case anyone is in need of one. Price lowered in original post.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-bsd-translite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.