New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 99222)

FA/FS A.G Soccer Ball - Head to Head - Alvin G - No reserve, .99 5 day auction

By Toasterdog

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg
A.G. Soccer-Ball flyer.jpg
soccer-ball.jpg
image-647.jpg
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Just figured I would plug my ad since I need a quick sale. Haven't had this very long at all, but my GF bought me an air hockey table for my birthday and that will be here in a week. I need the room so something has to go and it won't be Tron, ACDC, IM or TSPP.

Here is a link to my Ebay ad, plenty of pictures, a video and description available there.

ebay.com link

IMG_0080.JPGIMG_0068.JPGIMG_0061.JPG

#2 6 years ago

technically it's not for sale, it's for auction. might want to change the subject line.
also does it have the light bar across the top? that's missing in the pics.
thanks!

#3 6 years ago

It's for sale or for auction. It will be gone in a week and it comes with everything seen in the pictures. I never had the light bar.

#4 6 years ago

Looks cool... Through a bid out there to get the bidding going...

#5 6 years ago

Thanks, it hold plenty of drinks safely too. Actually thought about making this a very cool cocktail table.

Chop the legs and PRESTO!

This also screams for a re-theme IMO.

#6 6 years ago

curious to see what this goes for. one was sold on here recently for $1600 which I thought was an absolute steal.

you must really like air hockey...

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

curious to see what this goes for. one was sold on here recently for $1600 which I thought was an absolute steal.
you must really like air hockey...

I love air hockey and pinball. Problem is my GF and friends seem to prefer air hockey, so easier to get a partner for that....sad, because this is a cool game with a very interesting layout.

Bump for the morning crowd.

#8 6 years ago

You can play one player against the pin on this. Wow!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You can play one player against the pin on this. Wow!

Yea, its pretty cool actually. With some minor adjusting of the flipper switches (the wire flipper guides I assume) the balls would really move. If the ball is moving really slow or light on the wire it doesn't always activate. Doesn't happen alot, but I'm pretty sure its a simple adjustment. Tough to find any information on these pins.

#10 6 years ago

Do you have the topper

image-647.jpg
#11 6 years ago

Nevermind. I see where you've never had the light bar.

#12 6 years ago

Was there a topper to this version?

#13 6 years ago

Yes, different support poles, but same functionality.

soccer-ball.jpg

#14 6 years ago

So is the topper included with the one for sale?

#15 6 years ago

Op said no topper and you can see the cab does not have the support brackets.

#16 6 years ago

Does the topper do anything or just flash for goals?

#17 6 years ago

Just flashes and looks pretty. Since I'm used to mine the machine looks naked without it.

#18 6 years ago

Guessing that it's probably made out of unobtanium as well?

#19 6 years ago

Hard to find, yes. I had a spare that I sold to a pinsider last year, but that's the only one I've seen without a machine attached to it.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yes, different support poles, but same functionality.

Yes, they basically serve the same function, although, the ones they put on USA Football head-to-head and USA Football redemption have a few differences besides the shape of the marquee poles/how they attach to the marquee box....

For some bizarre reason they made the poles on the new version 9 inches shorter, and they made the marquee box pivot on either pole so you could raise the playfield all the way. Another difference is the addition of a speaker in the marquee box.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Op said no topper and you can see the cab does not have the support brackets.

Yep, his is one of the earlier ones that came from the factory without an overhead marquee. Lots of them were like that, and later on they developed the overhead marquee assembly and offered it at no additional cost. There was a single page addendum that was issued with the flyers after the marquee assembly became available. The flyer below shows the original game without it:

A.G. Soccer-Ball flyer.jpg

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

With some minor adjusting of the flipper switches (the wire flipper guides I assume) the balls would really move. If the ball is moving really slow or light on the wire it doesn't always activate. Doesn't happen alot, but I'm pretty sure its a simple adjustment. Tough to find any information on these pins.

There's not really anything you can do on the topside, aside from just making sure that nothing is binding on the Switch-Flipperâ„¢ wire arm. The adjustments for the flipper switches are all made under the playfield. Just bend the actuator arm on the microswitch a little bit. Be careful not to break the actuator wire that runs down through the flipper shaft. Sometimes it doesn't take much to snap the end of those off!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

There's not really anything you can do on the topside, aside from just making sure that nothing is binding on the Switch-Flipperâ„¢ wire arm. The adjustments for the flipper switches are all made under the playfield. Just bend the actuator arm on the microswitch a little bit. Be careful not to break the actuator wire that runs down through the flipper shaft. Sometimes it doesn't take much to snap the end of those off!

The flipper switches actually work fine. On occasion the ball does not glide along it, like I imagine it would, if it's a ball going down the outlane for instance. I assume this is an adjustment that would allow the ball to roll more effortlessly. I assume it could possibly due to the fact the game was never properly leveled, just eyeballed. It felt close though

As for the topper, it does not have one, I never had it. It does have the spot for one so I assume it was there at some point.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Anyway to find out if those are still intact and healthy on this game?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

The flipper switches actually work fine. On occasion the ball does not glide along it, like I imagine it would, if it's a ball going down the outlane for instance. I assume this is an adjustment that would allow the ball to roll more effortlessly.

There really isn't anything to do to make it roll under them more easily. What I was trying to say is that you basically need to adjust the switch actuator arm just right so that even when the ball just barely grazes the flipper it will fire the coil. It's kind of a wacky setup but you can usually dial them in pretty well. Still, I know what you're saying....sometimes it just doesn't work perfectly no matter what....

If you get a chance, please look inside your cabinet to the left of where the coin box would sit, and let me know if there's a tag there with a handwritten cabinet or serial number on it. If there is, I'd like to add it to my Alvin G serial number log book. Thanks! This is one of two Alvin G titles that is typically devoid of any numbers, so you might not find anything. I have no idea why, but they just didn't label a lot of these. Almost all the other titles have multiple serial number stickers (usually 6 or so) and a stamped serial number under the coin box, but not on these....

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

If the flippers are working AT ALL (automatically) those ends will be intact.... and he said they are indeed working. But yes, say you were looking into buying a game that you didn't know much about. A quick peek (or a pic) under the playfield and you could easily tell if the end of an actuator wire is missing.

#27 6 years ago

Flipper switches intact and healthy. Flippers are strong too.

Friday night bump.

image.jpg

#28 6 years ago

watching your auction. I have really been looking for the football version, but this one could do until the football one comes along.

#29 6 years ago

watching your auction. I have really been looking for the football version, but this one could do until the football one comes along.

Or when that time comes, keep this one and have both

image.jpg

Oddly enough, both of mine (claimed HUO) came from the same collector in GA who has been selling off an amazing collection. They have been reunited under my roof, where their pristineness (is that even a word) can be enjoyed by all who come to my tournaments or just swing by for some pinball.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Yep, his is one of the earlier ones that came from the factory without an overhead marquee. Lots of them were like that, and later on they developed the overhead marquee assembly and offered it at no additional cost. There was a single page addendum that was issued with the flyers after the marquee assembly became available. The flyer below shows the original game without it:

A.G. Soccer-Ball flyer.jpg 182 KB

Matt, have you considered making a book/ebook/blog, etc of your wealth of Alvin G info? I for one would make a contribution toward your efforts if you would consider putting something together. And if you already have and I missed the boat, just steer me in the right direction to find it, lol.

#31 6 years ago

The week I bought my first pin, I saw a Philadelphia collector's storage unit with an Alvin G USA Football and an A.G. Soccer-ball, amongst dozens of other pins he had in storage. He was not willing to sell either one (I bought his Swords of Fury and Stargate, though), but from that day onward I knew I had to have the major head to head pins.

Now that I have both, I have to say that although USA Football has a theme that seems more appealing to folks from the USA, A.G. Soccer-ball actually gets more play when I throw parties. It is more logical and easier to understand for non-pinheads (soccer theme of shooting goals is perfect for a head to head pin).

Just wanted to post this for those considering buying this pin. Honestly, if the price stays this low, I'm even considering bidding on it for my vacation home, so guys, please bid the auction up to keep me from having to do that!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Matt, have you considered making a book/ebook/blog, etc of your wealth of Alvin G info? I for one would make a contribution toward your efforts if you would consider putting something together. And if you already have and I missed the boat, just steer me in the right direction to find it, lol.

Hi Mark,

I do hope to create an Alvin G & Co. website at some point. I just have so many irons in the fire right now.... but someday it'll happen. Thanks for your offer of contributing! I very well may need some help there in the future.

Anyway, right now a big goal of mine is to complete some work so I can get every Alvin G production game set up in the same room, along with all my company memorabilia. That'll definitely help in getting good pics for the website. I'm also working on interviewing former Alvin G employees and doing lots of other research, so lots going on in the world of Alvin G here....

#33 6 years ago

Almost over bump.

#34 6 years ago

Hello pent up desire for head to head pinball!

#35 6 years ago

Congrats!

#36 6 years ago

Dayam, $2500! Nice sale.

#37 6 years ago

Damn I'm the fool who sold mine for $1600 with the topper and spare cabinet decals and CPU....shoulda gone eBay apparently.

#38 6 years ago

Yea, it went out of my range considering it didn't have the topper and I prefer the football version. Congrats on the sale, it really is a nice and clean game.

#39 6 years ago

I don't know. $1600 for that game sounds pretty good to me...

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from mdolshan:

In recent years Joust followed a similar upward march in value, so we might be seeing something similar with the Alvin G head to heads. So few change hands that it's hard to determine any clear-cut trends though.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from mdolshan:

Haha agreed

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside