Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140624_173702.jpg
    20140624_173615.jpg
    20140624_173642.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hi Everyone. Good news... i just imported 1000x of MC6821P ICs, the obsolete 6821 PIA commonly found in Bally, Data East, Classic Stern, Sega, Williams, and more boards. I have tested over 100 of them so far and not a single bad one. They are used pulls. All legitimate Motorola manufactured with date codes between 1981 and 1986. These are NOT REMARKS! The legs where all straightened and got a fresh coat of solder. The plastic package on some is scuffed and worn (why they typically blacktop/remark), but the pins are all full length, straight, and clean.

Every single PIA i send out will be tested in a WMS driver board on my bench fixture. In the unlikely event of issues, i will take care of it. I will ship in antistatic tubes. Right now i am only shipping to the USA. Pay via PayPal.

If this works out, I will import more / different ICs.

1-9 = $3.00 each
    10-24 = $2.75 each
    25-49 = $2.50 each
    50-99 = $2.25 each
    100+ = $2.00 each

Shipping costs, USPS first class or priority mail at my discretion.
    1-50 = $3.00 to ship
    50-100 = $5.00
    100+ = $7.00

Here are some pics
    20140624_173615.jpg20140624_173615.jpg
    20140624_173642.jpg20140624_173642.jpg
    20140624_173702.jpg20140624_173702.jpg

Message me here for more info or how to purchase.

Thanks
    Andrew

#2 9 years ago

PM and payment sent. Thanks for providing this service to the pinball community!

#3 9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have about 600 PIAs left.

Thanks
    Andrew

#4 9 years ago

Received mine today.
    As described; in ESD packaging. Good to see he's taken proper care of them.

#5 9 years ago

I will take 10. PM your Paypal address to me.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for nice feedback Zitt. RustyLizard, you have mail!

#7 9 years ago

Hey Andrew,

I've got a bunch at the moment, but I'll take 10 for the sake of the cause. PM me payment info.

TerryB

#8 9 years ago

Ditto - PM me payment info for 10

#9 9 years ago

P.S. - Thanks a lot for procuring those Andrew, and for sharing. Hopefully you can get enough sold to make it worthwhile.

#10 9 years ago

Send me PayPal info for 10

#11 9 years ago

Hi Terry,

It was a gamble, but this is working out well. I am coming up with a list of obsolete ICs that would be pretty safe to reimport. Wondering if it is worthwhile to import the obsolete plasma display driver ICs like UDN6118a? or are people just going to LED displays. Taking recommendations! My source is a recycling place in China that does a good job. He does the pulls and has tons of testing equipment to verify used pulls. I have had great dealing with them for years.

Mike,

You have mail!

Thanks everyone

#12 9 years ago

cool!

#13 9 years ago

what are these for what do they do? See them on my boards but have no idea! Here to learn and if need to keep on hand for collection then will take some.

#14 9 years ago

The 6821 is a Peripheral Interface Adapter. Basically it allows a 6800 type computer to work with external things. The PIA can read an input or drive an output. They are used to read switches, control displays, control sound boards, control solenoids, etc.

Failure of this chip does happen, i wouldn't say it is super common though unless the 6821 was manufactured by AMI, that brand fails more often.

#15 9 years ago

What about pulling the CPUs too?
    Id assume 6821s were paired with 6800 cpus.
    I'd consider getting a few to pair with the PIAs.

#16 9 years ago

Contemplating trying this with 6802 and 6800 CPUs as well. My concern is the CPU is pretty darn reliable compared to the 6821 PIA. Might be hard to sell 1000 of them.

SRAMs are tempting to get as well, but so many variables on types i need to be careful. Plus extra static sensitive Hrmm.

EPROMs are a good idea too, but i would need a ton of time and effort to test them all. If i could sell 2732 and 2716 EPROMs for $2 each, is that price competitive?

#17 9 years ago

Got mine Sat all good here. Mike

#18 9 years ago

I think $2 for eprom pulls is a fair price.

#19 9 years ago

I wouldnt' bother with eproms given Fleabay and the like.
    The 8251 uart is rare... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_8251
    but not having seen them in many designs makes me think it's be one of those wasted effort things.

#20 9 years ago

You've got balls buying up these in a lot. I've had the misfortune of getting fake parts a few times now. I'm glad these worked out.

#21 9 years ago

After dealing with my guy for a while, I fell confident he won't screw me, and if he does, have at least two lines of protection to try and get my money back.

I have tested about 700 PIAs so far and I have found three bad ones.... pretty damn good!

I am getting PCD5101P, MC6802, HI55564, LH5116-70, UDN7180A and HY6464ALP-70 on the next run. Look for a small website with just a listing of what i have available coming soon.

#22 9 years ago

Does your "guy" do monitors?
    What I'd (and others) give for a good source of tubes for [vector] arcade monitors.

#23 9 years ago

Quoted from Zitt:

What I'd (and others) give for a good source of tubes for [vector] arcade monitors.

I doubt it. He salvages stuff off of recycled consumer/commercial/industrial electronics.... Basically when we send shit to china to "recycle" he is one of the people that parts them out and sells components back to us. I wouldnt think any of these PIAs i have where originally in a piece of coin op equipment.

#24 9 years ago

Got mine today, thanks Andrew!

#25 9 years ago

I figured as much... but figured; hell... wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Actually the Tube CAN be generic... the vector electronics are basically unique.
    Some people here in the states have had luck doing a goodwill run and shining a flashlight into the back for TVs... and finding tubes which match the needs.

We are going to have to start something like this... as CRTs are no longer manufactured... eventually these arcades are going to be without tubes to go in them.

1 week later
    #26 9 years ago

I still have some PIAs left.

4 weeks later
    #27 9 years ago

Hi everyone

I have sent out over 800 MC6821P PIAs and still have a some left. Message me for info. I also have 150uF 350v 105c radial electrolytic capacitors that is a good replacement for the c26 high voltage filter on a Bally or Stern driver board.

Andrew

#28 9 years ago

I wish someone would come up with a kit to rebuild MPU's,PS, and such including transistors, PIA, and capacitors, resistors whatever. A bulletproofing kit for people like me who do not like to have to research and go through the ordering process.
    12000uf filter caps for williams PS are hard to find too. I wish I hadn't bought a bunch of PIA's recently otherwise I would have been all over this.

#29 9 years ago

nothing different from vector tubes other than the deflection angle is 100 rather than 90. 100 degree tubes are exceedingly rare, especially for color CRT's so you are not likely to ever see one.

#30 9 years ago

I recently sold through 100x 15,000uF(close enough to 12k) filter caps. I will try and source out more.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

12000uf filter caps for williams PS are hard to find too.

Actually, the Williams 12000 and 18000uf axial caps have become quite easy to find. Awhile back, I special ordered some batches from the manufacturer and now it seems that most of the parts sellers now carry these same caps.

#32 9 years ago

Axial is available but at a premium price. Radial ones mount in okay in all situations i have encountered. How much is axial worth over radial to the pinballer? The $2-3 premium? To me no... but i'm a tight ass compared to many which I respect.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

I wish someone would come up with a kit to rebuild MPU's,PS, and such including transistors, PIA, and capacitors, resistors whatever. A bulletproofing kit for people like me who do not like to have to research and go through the ordering process.

www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com has many such kits, and more could be in the works if people ask.

#34 9 years ago

Lots of love for barakandl. Got my parts and all is right in the world.

1 week later
    #35 9 years ago

Another satisfied customer checking in! Just got the chips today, they shipped super fast! Thanks!!!

#36 9 years ago

Thanks!

PCD5101P coming on Tuesday. As long as they test okay, i should be able to offer them at good price.

2 years later
    #37 7 years ago

Hi barakandl,

Do you still have ?

Best
    dajaab

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from dajaab:

Hi barakandl,
    Do you still have ?
    Best
    dajaab

http://nvram.weebly.com

1 month later
    #39 7 years ago

I have stocked PIAs again, possible for the last time. HD6821P and have some HD68B21 if you need the 2MHz version.

http://nvram.weebly.com

1 year later
    #40 6 years ago

PIA's still available?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Quoted from Zitt:

+++1

3 weeks later
    #42 6 years ago

PIA's are now gone. The source I trusted for bulk 6821 / 6802 parts is sold out (forever)? It was a good run over the last few years. Sold many thousand that I am sure that helped a lot of games get fixed. Anything I have left I have to hoard for my own boards i'm making.

Quoted from Zitt:

The PIAs where coming out industrial / retail gear like cash registers, copiers, computer terminals etc from the 80s and 90s. Not many vector monitor parts coming out that kind of recycled gear. I would see the monitor controllers mixed in accidentally sometimes with the PIAs and CPUs. MC6845??

Saddly today's "E Waste" that these where pulled from does not contain many old school parts anymore. The 680x series stuff had a good run tho. You can still find the PIAs on eBay / AliExpress with moderately good success rates, but they are not something I would import to try and resell.

#43 6 years ago

Has anyone tried to program an FPGA to replicate the functionality of the PIA 6820? It was quite a while ago in school that I did anything with FPGA, but it would seem that it maybe a feasible alternative.

#44 6 years ago

The only thing we really care about is a crossable CRT. The electronics arent as critical.
    IE tube swaps

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-6821-pia-mc6821p-starting-at-3-each-legit-no-remarks-tested and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.