• 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by earflaps
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f-979.jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Selling my Solar Fire. Located in London, Ontario.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/london/rare-1981-williams-solar-fire-pinball-machine/1028313198

I can provide more info and specific pics, if desired.

Feel free to contact me directly at corey {at} londonpinball.ca.

Corey

#2 9 years ago

Forgot to mention that I'm driving to Toronto on November 8th and could deliver. I'm open to reasonable offers.

I'm also mildly keeping my eyes open for a Firepower, Space Station and DE Star Wars.

#3 9 years ago

Great looking game! Grand Lizard in space!! I've always wanted to play this.

Good luck with the sale!

#4 9 years ago

I have an unbelievable Space Station that I'm on the fence about keeping. I'm close to Toronto but cannot get there. I saw your price too, is that correct?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

I saw your price too, is that correct?

I was thinking the same thing.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I was thinking the same thing.

What price would you folks prefer?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

What price would you folks prefer?

I like Solar Fire a lot and think it would compliment my Grand Lizard nicely but the price is too high IMO. But I really don't know what the going rates are the way things are sky rocketing out of control so I could be wrong. It might be a good buy for someone in the states with the Canadian dollar being so low.

#8 9 years ago

Once again, I am open to reasonable offers.

#9 9 years ago

What do you consider a reasonable offer for your game? At 2500.00, that would make it the highest priced of the 4 two level games Williams made in those years, it would need to be a high end resto with clear coated playfield, a non "sealed" backglass and a perfect redone cabinet.

#10 9 years ago

FWIW, a decent Solar Fire in similar condition sold for under 1000 last year at the Chicago pinball expo. Anything over 1500 for the specific game listed is really just "wishful thinking" in my honest opinion.

Sure, I could see it fetch over 2K in clear coated or perfect original condition, but that game is neither. As reference, see the recent Firepower that sold fairly quickly listed on Pinside for $2200. If your SF looked like that, 2500 would be a fair asking price.

#11 9 years ago

I'm not sure I'm terribly interested in getting into a debate about pricing on this.

It's a rare game that plays very well and needs nothing aside from some cosmetics (and that's purely subjective). It falls well within the ballpark of what Black Knight, Centaur, Fathom, Star Gazer, Iron Maiden, Eight Ball Deluxe and any number of other desirable early solid state machines sell for in this condition.

Considering the lack of benchmarks on this machine (you don't see Solar Fire for sale terribly often), I set a price that I felt was fair. If I'm out to lunch, I guess I'll just sit on it for a while until someone makes a solid offer. Having said that, however, at this point, I've been offered a Demo Man in trade along with several other trade offers that I'm still considering. I've also been contacted by two individuals in California, but shipping is a bit of a barrier. So perhaps I'm not far off the mark.

In answer to your question, I think a reasonable offer would be somewhere around $2k. I don't imagine there would be many disappointed buyers at that price.

#12 9 years ago

I disagree completely with grouping all the games you listed into the same price range. It's more like this if all games are in the same condition:

BK 1000-1500
CENT 2500+
FATHOM 2500+
STAR GAZER 2000+ ?
IRON MAIDEN 3K+ (a lot more)
EBD 1700
SF 1000-1500

I realize stuff sells higher in CAN but I don't have to buy stuff there, so I don't consider that when pricing games.

Don't misunderstand here, I think demo man is a very fair trade for the SF and the one that sold in Chi was a great deal.

I recall a Pharaoh on Pinside last month in good condition that the poor guy had to give away for $900, because no one was interested. It's a rare game and a good game. Not trying to say that this is exactly the same but for early SS, the Pinside market is kinda nuts and all over the place.

#13 9 years ago

One I know about sold recently for 1800 mint condition shopped and ready to go. I was willing to pay but missed out, someone got it before me.
I've had this game on my wish list for a while
Very low end on this title in shit condition is 1000
I would say very high end is 2000
But if its a title you want what's a couple of hundred more
If it was local I would be trying to deal.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

One I know about sold recently for 1800 mint condition shopped and ready to go. I was willing to pay but missed out, someone got it before me.
I've had this game on my wish list for a while
Very low end on this title in shit condition is 1000
I would say very high end is 2000
But if its a title you want what's a couple of hundred more
If it was local I would be trying to deal.

Sure, that scenario really comes down to patience and finding exactly what you want in the price range that you are willing to pay. I don't hold SF far above any of the other 2 level Williams games similar to it, but I know a lot of others do, and are willing pay good money for their favorite.

#15 9 years ago

This is why it's worth $2500

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Lol, I couldn't bear to watch the whole thing.

In any case, ipdb lists the production count at 782.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2238

#17 9 years ago

ebay.com link: williams solar fire pinball rare arcade good condition solarfire

We shall see what it's really worth in this market I suppose...

2500?, I'm taking the under on that prediction.

#18 9 years ago

Bang for your buck wise, I would personally buy 3 of these:

ebay.com link: Bally Mr Mrs Pac Man Pinball Machine Needs Minor Work Pickup Only 19320

before I buy a 1500 SF.

Yeah, CGR is awesome. They are responsible for just about half of what I know about vintage console games. I remember watching them in 1999!

I've seen a recent sale (last 3 months) of 1800 reported here, and another for 2000 for a decent Solar Fire so, maybe that could be a more realistic price... Condition (and location) was unknown however, and condition (and location) is always king on the value/price of a pin. I passed up this title years ago for less than the cost of any of these and do not regret it.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Agreed, I bought my Robocop after seeing their video review. I don't regret Robocop at all, but these guys have a way of making you want the game being reviewed.

#20 9 years ago

You guys are awesome.

Mr & Mrs Pac is a $500 game because it's shit. I've owned three of them and I know.

I'd rather have 20 Lectronamos than a MM but I'm having trouble determining what that kind of comparison has to do with my Solar Fire.

I'm surprised to see that in 2014, the year of holy-shit-pinball-pricing, people who aren't really interested in the game are trying to suggest what the game is worth. I'm not interested in a Cactus Canyon but that doesn't make it worth what I would be willing to pay for one. Just sayin'.

Having said all of that, I'm pretty sure that if someone stuffed eighteen hundred US dollars in my hand, they'd walk away with a pretty nice Solar Fire. The current exchange rate puts that at just about $2000 cdn. So there ya go.

Further, if someone was asking a bit more than I wanted to pay for a game I wanted to buy, and I knew that person to be a reasonable human, I would contact them and make a....

wait for it....

reasonable offer.

In summary and conclusion: I'm a pretty reasonable human and I have a Solar Fire for sale.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

I'm surprised to see that in 2014, the year of holy-shit-pinball-pricing, people who aren't really interested in the game are trying to suggest what the game is worth. I'm not interested in a Cactus Canyon but that doesn't make it worth what I would be willing to pay for one. Just sayin'.

I've been noticing some price fatigue the last few weeks.

Either way, this has been only up for a day--most pins seem to be gone within a week when the price is right. If there's no buyers after a week, *then* I'd re-evaluate the price or alternate advertising venues, such as mr. pinball, local facebook groups, craigslist, or (cringe) fleabay (aka ebay) as a last resort.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

You guys are awesome.
Mr & Mrs Pac is a $500 game because it's shit. I've owned three of them and I know.
I'd rather have 20 Lectronamos than a MM but I'm having trouble determining what that kind of comparison has to do with my Solar Fire.
Having said all of that, I'm pretty sure that if someone stuffed eighteen hundred US dollars in my hand, they'd walk away with a pretty nice Solar Fire. The current exchange rate puts that at just about $2000 cdn. So there ya go.
Further, if someone was asking a bit more than I wanted to pay for a game I wanted to buy, and I knew that person to be a reasonable human, I would contact them and make a....
wait for it....

reasonable offer.
In summary and conclusion: I'm a pretty reasonable human and I have a Solar Fire for sale.

Thanks for pointing out our awesomeness.

LOL, you don't know nearly as much about "sh!t" as you suggest.

I'm just commenting along with all the other folks here. If you don't want a discussion in your FS post, you could go "AD ONLY" on pinside and avoid all the banter.

Don't expect any sort of decency in a FS post on Pinside. It's like the first rule of thumb here.

#23 9 years ago

Ok, like I said, I have an extremely nice Space Station I might be willing to trade..... Make me an offer of some cash and your Solar Fire and maybe we can strike up a deal.

#24 9 years ago

My .02

Grand Lizard > Space Station.

I think the scarcity of SF makes it an even trade against Space Station, pending condition comparison.

That GCR movie sure makes it look like fun. It's a bit different than Grand Lizard though. Not sure if it's better or worse or just different.

-mof

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My .02

#26 9 years ago

Wow, not sure why everyone is jumping all over the OP here. Well, to be fair your pictures suck. It's hard to see how nice the playfield / cabinet are.

That said, Solar Fire is awesome and by far the best of the 4 2-level Williams. I wouldn't think of selling mine for less than $2500, but it has a CPR playfield and a Bill Davis touched / cleared playfield.

Grand Lizard is cool, but is virtually the identical game to Solar Fire. They replicated the exact game only on one level. No point in owning both for sure.

I picked up a super nice Space Station and I would resell it now for less than my Solar Fire, so I'm not sure the proposed trade should have cash along with the SF, but condition is key in this case.

Anyway, SF is an awesome game and super rare. If the seller could verify the condition of the playfield, cabinet and backglass were nice this might be well worth the current asking range.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Ok, like I said, I have an extremely nice Space Station I might be willing to trade..... Make me an offer of some cash and your Solar Fire and maybe we can strike up a deal.

Yes Yes. I own 'em both. New players like Space Station better, since it is rather open playfield and "seems easy". Seasoned players tend to comment on really liking Grand Lizard and how much fun it is.

It has the best flow of any machine I've ever played...

-mof

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

You guys are awesome.
wait for it....
reasonable offer.

It's nice to know, if you were close enough to me you would have your 1800. I never make an offer on a game I want through pm or over the phone, I always show up cash in hand , unless of course your one of my friends in which case I know how awesome your game is and I just pay the price. Solar fire is nice condition are very hard to find, this is why I don't have one.i personally think your game is worth it.

#29 9 years ago

Not to turn this into Grand Lizard versus Space Station thread, but I will second mof (and it helps I played both of his). I would take Grand Lizard over Space Station, no question about it. And I was originally all geared to get a Space Station when I first got into hobby a year ago, no way now...

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My .02
I think the scarcity of SF makes it an even trade against Space Station, pending condition comparison.
That GCR movie sure makes it look like fun. It's a bit different than Grand Lizard though. Not sure if it's better or worse or just different.
-mof

I like Grand Lizard better then Solar Fire. I didn't realize before but the upper playfields are identical on both.

#31 9 years ago

1800.00 is definitely a fair price from the looks of it. The game looks to be in extraordinary shape.

#32 9 years ago

Not sure if this helps but I currently restoring a Solar Fire and with the cost of cabinet repair, stencils, paint, bulbs, parts, polish, playfield touch ups, clear coating, my time and friend's time...the OP's price is not far off.

But as well all know...a game is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Everyone is fair to ask what they want for it. Only the seller really knows what they have into it.

$.02

#33 9 years ago

I like Grand Lizard better then Solar Fire. I didn't realize before but the upper playfields are identical on both.

Similar not identical. Most everything is a little different on the two playfields. Solar Fire doesn't have the same flow. It's more like Black Knight.
-mof

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

ebay.com link » Williams Solar Fire Pinball Rare Arcade Good Condition Solarfire
We shall see what it's really worth in this market I suppose...
2500?, I'm taking the under on that prediction.

For what it's worth, that Solar Fire is in dire need of a healthy amount of work. Mine is shopped out and plays perfectly with serviced, clean and reliable boards, new 40-pin interconnector and new $200 LED xPin displays. Considering I've clarified that $1800 US would take my machine, I'm excited to see how much this dirty ol' thing on ebay sells for. It's at $900 now and we all know the majority of the bidding happens in the last few minutes.

Not that it really matters. I'm not out to change hearts and minds today.

#35 9 years ago

"Needs shopped" and works fine. The display looked fine in the pic... Just about fits the description of every single game I have ever purchased. The one in the auction looks nice to me.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

For what it's worth, that Solar Fire is in dire need of a healthy amount of work. Mine is shopped out and plays perfectly with serviced, clean and reliable boards, new 40-pin interconnector and new $200 LED xPin displays. Considering I've clarified that $1800 US would take my machine, I'm excited to see how much this dirty ol' thing on ebay sells for. It's at $900 now and we all know the majority of the bidding happens in the last few minutes.

I know I'm the only one, but I think your price is excellent, if shippers didn't suck and I had better luck i would just ship it, but with the type of luck I have with shippers the game would just arrive in pieces, that or the plane would crash.

#37 9 years ago

The op has his "buddy" call me out on a local Canadian forum because he didn't have the balls to do it here. Him and his little buddies all gang up on me about how there is nothing wrong with the price, they've been in the hobby 10 years so they know what things sell for. Then I see this from the snivelling coward posted today and laughed my ass off. Look at his post on the bottom, "clearly I've placed too high a value on this", What a retard

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17088

#38 9 years ago

I know this seller and he is a great guy. He fixes pinball's for many people that can't. Low production games are the hardest ones to value. Start out high then see where it goes. If you think the price is to high shut your mouth and don't buy it!!

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from jimmyb:

I know this seller and he is a great guy. He fixes pinball's for many people that can't. Low production games are the hardest ones to value. Start out high then see where it goes. If you think the price is to high shut your mouth and don't buy it!!

Of course I wouldn't buy it and no one else was either. He even admitted he didn't know what the hell he was doing and he priced it too high. This is a public forum if he doesn't want or like the feed back, post an add in the market place and be done with it. But when you post too high publically you're going to get called out on your BS. You like the price? Then shut your mouth and buy it

#40 9 years ago

I just might!!

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

I really expected it to go up from the $909 it was at with only 2 bidders. But, there was no last minute action and it closed at $909. Probably not a bad price for someone willing to clean it up.

#42 9 years ago

Hard to respect anything else you could possibly say. Way to come off like a complete asshat!

#43 9 years ago

The op has his "buddy" call me out on a local Canadian forum because he didn't have the balls to do it here. Him and his little buddies all gang up on me about how there is nothing wrong with the price, they've been in the hobby 10 years so they know what things sell for. Then I see this from the snivelling coward posted today and laughed my ass off. Look at his post on the bottom, "clearly I've placed too high a value on this", What a retard
http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17088

Very tasteful.

I note you didn't include a link to the thread where you threatened to assault him. Also pure class.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

Very tasteful.
I note you didn't include a link to the thread where you threatened to assault him. Also pure class.

If I placed any value in your opinion I would have asked for it. But what is class? When the op called me "a fucking asshole"? Was that class? If you back the most docile dog into a corner and keep poking it with a stick, it will eventually bite you.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Hard to respect anything else you could possibly say. Way to come off like a complete asshat!

I agree 100% I have a daughter with Down Syndrome

Very Classy Ryan

The red lights you may see soon are not your imaginationf-979.jpgf-979.jpg

Post edited by moderator: Removed the reference to Pinside Member

#46 9 years ago

I believe cyber bullying is also a crime.

#47 9 years ago

advice you may or may not heed- (that means pay attention too)

He did not directly call you anything, he was making a statement that [people that act a certain way may have a hard time acquiring friendship.

Now the advice- When one is incarcerated it is acceptable to say "Don't ACT like a GOOF", "Don't be a GOOF"it is NOT acceptable to directly call one a GOOF "You're a GOOF"

#48 9 years ago

um check all the Canadian Forums cgcc.ca, maaca I assure you I am not Artic.
B1 has been around a LONG time

#50 9 years ago

I think you ratted yourself out- if you think really hard
It will come to you. It was not Brock or Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-1981-williams-solar-fire/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.