(Topic ID: 288647)

Fry's Electronics going out of business.

By girloveswaffles

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Heretic_9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

47 744 (resized).jpg
    8655 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

I spent a lot of time and a lot of money there way back when, including lots of company money. It was a fun place to go for a while especially if you are a tech nerd/geek type. The degeneration started much longer than 5 years ago. Their business practices were the source of a lot of controversy and I believe lawsuits if I remember correctly. They were infamous for putting returned stock back on the shelves (as new) without even checking it out to make sure it was good. Lots of people got screwed over. They got me one time many years ago and after that I never went back. By then other sources were coming up including the internet.

In its heyday the one in Orange County was really something. You had to get there early just to get a parking spot and go buy something, and the lines would snake around for miles, especially in the holiday season.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Highland Superstore
    CompUSA
    Incredible Universe
    Circuit City
    Radio Shack
    Fry's

Good Guys

Quoted from Mike_J:

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve been to their store in San Diego many times through the years and always enjoyed it.
    I know I’m in the minority, but I’ll continue to purchase from brick and mortar shops whenever possible.

Same here, also, I try to buy anything I can not from Amazon. Yes I still buy stuff from Amazon, but if I can get it somewhere else for a good price I prefer that. One day Amazon will wipe out everything else and take over. Once that happens stand by for the fun times as free shipping evaporates, prices go up, etc. Actually even now there are lots of things that are priced a lot higher on Amazon than you can find in other places. You have to do your diligence and search them out. But most people don’t, they just see it on Amazon and order it because it’s convenient.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinNickleby:

Fry's used to be our Saturday field trip spot to go when someone at work wanted to build a new pc. It was cool picking out all of the parts and going home to put everything together.
    Going to the computer swap meets at the LA fairgrounds was a fun thing to do as well.
    Ah, the good old days......and yet they really weren't that long ago.

I was thinking of that also - the swap meet at the Pomona fairgrounds. I went there so many times. That was THE place to go to get all sorts of computer stuff. So much fun wandering up and down the aisles. At its peak it was huge. Then, came the internet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fry-s-electronics-going-out-of-business?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.