(Topic ID: 99716)

Frustrating customer service with Marco Specialties. 20% restocking fee!

By penguinchicken

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

detail (1).jpg
    detail.jpg
    DSC04793.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I wanted to let everyone know of my recent run in with the customer service at Marco.
    Sorry to rant.

I just purchased a PinScore set for my Pin-Bot (should have stayed with X-Pin) along with several other items.
    Now, let me start out by saying, this is not my first or only order from this company. Including this order, I have spent $632.68 at their store over the past couple of years.
    When my new display arrived I was very disappointed when I opened the package, I really don't like the way the PinScore system looks when off, my tables are a part of my home, it is important how they look at ALL times.
    I decided to return it and buy X-Pin, why mess with finding and properly applying the same type of vinyl film that comes already installed out of the box with X-Pin? Right?
    I called Marco, long story short, they want a 20% RESTOCKING FEE! I suppose it was foolish on my part to assume that because I was very unhappy my purchase, that they would take care of a repeat, loyal and happy buyer. I suppose that kind of customer care is a rarity, Maybe I should try to talk Costco into getting into the pinball business!
    The call ended with the rep telling me "just install it, you will get used to it". I don't want to get used to it! These machines are works of art!

Pinscore OFF with no film
    DSC04793.JPG

#2 5 years ago

That sucks, but I don't really think its fair for small businesses to be expected to loan products for a free trial period either

#3 5 years ago

Marco's terms on returning electronics is clearly spelled out on their page, the last line in particular...

Electronic Assemblies & Components

Due to the delicate nature of electronic circuit boards and semiconductors, these items will be guaranteed for 30 days by exchange only. New electronic components generally carry a manufacturer’s warranty described on the item pages. Any warranty items supported by the product manufacturer after 30 days will be provided directly by the item manufacturer.

Advance replacements for products to be returned will be provided only with a credit card charge which will be refunded to you upon our recepit of the returned item.
    Marco will accept returns on original condition parts with a 20% restocking fee.

There is a clear difference between returning an item due to defect or damage and wanting a refund because you do not care for the aesthetic. Sucks that the product is not what you anticipated, but that is not Marco's issue, they provided the product you requested and delivered it intact.

I'd suck it up and just sell the display outright, knowing that sometimes we need to be accountable for our decisions.

#4 5 years ago

Your mistake. Your cost. Sell it for a less-than-20% discount to someone else.

Site shows what they look like...

#5 5 years ago

I don't think I was asking for or expecting a "loan for a trial period". What I WAS expecting a quality product similar to the one I had purchased from another small business.

Yes, I suppose it is my fault for not reading the terms and conditions for returns on Marco. I accept that.

What I am talking about here is making your customers happy, I have been buying from them since I bought my first machine, and had planned to do so for as long as I am involved in this great hobby.

Isn't keeping a long term, repeat customer worth more than one restocking fee?

#6 5 years ago

The site shows what they look like when powered up.
    detail.jpg
    detail (1).jpg

#7 5 years ago

Add a tiny piece of car window film with 35% transparency and it will look pretty good. A roll is about $10 at Walmart. Cut some extras and post for sale here to others (one roll could do a hundred display sets) and make some money.

#8 5 years ago

Marco sold you the item you bought.

The item you bought wasn't what you thought it was.

If I were you I'd get the film & live life or sell this item outright & buy a different model.

We tend to obsess over the smallest details sometimes. Relax man, this is a fun hobby.

FYI: I've bought the wrong shit before too, lessons have been learned on my part because of it lol

#9 5 years ago

by the way $600 over a few years. Lots of people do that in a single order.

#10 5 years ago

I should have linked this post to another I made this morning where I am asking what type of film others have put on the LED blocks to improve the look. I also should have listened to the voice in my head that said "you love the X-Pin, why are you trying another brand?"
    I realize I will keep this set, and make it work, the Marco rep was just not helpful, hell, if he had just said "Add a tiny piece of car window film with 35% transparency and it will look pretty good.A roll is about $10 at Walmart" that might have avoided my sniveling come apart!
    Yes, I am obsessing over this small detail, I have spent the last 3 months obsessing over many small details trying to restore a very far gone Pin-Bot back to a happy playable machine. This was the last step on a frustrating and difficult road.

#13 5 years ago

I think you're being unreasonable. Small businesses aren't Walmart. They can't afford to just eat every return.

That $200 pinscore display set costs Marco a fair amount of money - at the $200 price point, they aren't making a huge profit. If a customer returns it to them, the profit on that item is gone, at best. More likely, they take a loss on it when they can resell it.

They can no longer sell that as 'new', because it's not new. They have to sell it at a discount, perhaps at or below cost.

Your $632.68 is important to Marco, just as it would be important to me, or any other small business out there. But let's not act like there aren't people that are spending $632.68 or more with Marco a month! Not that the amount or frequency of orders matter - a good business treats orders of all sizes with the same excellent customer service. But, customer service doesn't mean letting somone walk all over you, either. The customer is NOT always right.

The product was clearly pictured on their site - you should be able to look at it, and know what it's going to look like.

If you want Marco to be there tomorrow to provide you with needed, quality products, you need to be reasonable today.

I suggest selling them here or somewhere else yourself, and hope you take less than a 20% hit.

#14 5 years ago

Not saying I agree with either side, but you should also consider Marco's perspective.

What should they do when they get it back from you? Do they just leave it however you package it up and falsely sell it to the next customer as new, or do they have to spend time and money by testing it and repackaging it?

I understand their policy, but also understand your frustration.

#15 5 years ago

Small businesses cannot offer Costco/Walmart style return policies, and it's pretty ridiculous they have trained people to expect this.

#16 5 years ago

So you've spent $632.68 in the last couple years, which isn't that much BTW. What was the restock fee? $25? I don't know. but if it was $25, you were happy with about 96% of the money you spend with Marco.

Just trying to put it into perspective, was this really worth your time?

#17 5 years ago

I am not posting this to cause an issue or take sides in any way, but I wanted to be fair and show the other side of the story.

I just recently made an order from Marco and stupid me chose my old shipping address (usually I call orders in but made this one online instead). Did not realize what I had done until well after the order had shipped.

Called Marco and asked what should I do, as the folks who purchased our old house just sent the box back as a refusal. I did have to pay a second shipping fee, but the folks there put a note that when the package returned, just to resend it to the correct address and did not have to worry about the restock.

Again - not meaning to cause an issue with Peguinchicken, and we are all in this together...just wanted to share a positive experience as well.

I hope everything with the displays works out!

-scott

#18 5 years ago

if you dont' like the way they look. Use some transparent "smoke" black film and stick it over the top. Raise up the brightness of the display and it will look solid black when off. I have them in some of my games and I love them. I don't even notice it anymore.

or knock $10 off the price and just resell them here.

#19 5 years ago

Chiming in on this thread to express my recent issue with Marco, I noticed last Sat. that they had the Soprano's safe mech complete(unobtanium) available onsite. Placed my order immediately, got an automated confirmation, followed up by an apology email on Mon. saying it wasn't in stock and is no longer produced by Stern(thanks, knew that). There was no explanation as to why or how the error was made. Despite this letdown though I still think Marco is great and will keep ordering from them.

The good news is I found the safe parts I needed at parts4pinballs, shipping from Norway is hella expensive...

#20 5 years ago

As JohnWart noted, the issue is that the product is no longer new. No one pays full retail for an 'open box' special. I doubt that the 20% restocking fee is a profitable component of their business.

#21 5 years ago

Ok, I give. Who am I do disagree with the angry mob.
    I just got back from the store with some 35%. looks ok, but I still want to know what X-Pin puts on their stuff. I'll see if they will tell me.

#22 5 years ago

I thought it was customary to scream Uncle while tapping the floor.

#23 5 years ago

Buy some smoke film for $5 and move on with your life. Geez!

#24 5 years ago

I debated the more customary use of "uncle". My decisions are questionable as of late.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from penguinchicken:

Think of it as, "tough love."

#26 5 years ago

I really don't get the concern and why it is so important how it looks when off. The display is/was never meant to be art in the off state - even if the machine is art.

I have Pinscores in my F-14 Tomcat, if someone ever commented on them when off, I'd just tell them about the benefits of this technology. They look fabulous when on, too.

#27 5 years ago

X-Pin rules.
    I sent them an email this morning asking what kind of film they use, Brett got back to me and said he will send out a set for this system at no charge!

#28 5 years ago

I hate the comment they made to you about basically sucking it up, but I have to agree as a seller that Marco did clearly spell out their sales terms, they showed an excellent photo of the product, and they did agree to take it back. 20% isn't that much compared to hating a product for as long as you own it. We are very customer service focused, but I have to side with Marco in this instance.

#29 5 years ago

You're kind of a prick. I like that. I'm a prick too.

You're just way better at it than I am. You're a pro.

#30 5 years ago

me thinks everyone is edgy as summer's eves are dwindling.........

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

me thinks everyone is edgy as summer's eves are dwindling.........

Yeah but at least winter is ending for us. Bring on summer!

#32 5 years ago

I think I've spent more than $600 on just LEDs this year alone with 5 (Aug + 4) months to go.

You admitted you should have read the restock terms, so no reason to berate you there. Sometimes, we learn the best by being burned - aka - learning the most when failing the hardest. That's how I learn at least =/....

Marco is flipping fantastic. Don't let this experience ruin doing business with them or the hobby as a whole. Walk away, open a cold one (soda or beer - whatever your preference), kick back, realize life is good with pinball at the house, take a deep soothing breath, and let it go.

In 100 years, who is going to care ? That's what I have to ask myself sometimes. It helps me keep things in perspective .

#33 5 years ago

If details are that important why not just buy all new plasma 7 digit Alpha/numeric, 7 digit numeric? Steve Young sells them all...

#34 5 years ago

All I can think is....only $600 and you have 7 pins and the look when off is super insanely important. You got away cheap my friend!

#35 5 years ago

I just got back from the store with some 35%. looks ok, but I still want to know what X-Pin puts on their stuff. I'll see if they will tell me.

Christ on a cracker, let it go man. :p

You didn't read Marco's details on returns, no big deal.

You weren't happy with being surprised with them keeping 20% of your money, who would be? But they did and you found out why.

You got a budget fix repair for an issue that was bothering ya.

Now concentrate on that classic Pinbot and get us restore pics.

#36 5 years ago

I am over it. Really.
    I can admit when I am wrong, although this is the first time.

Boy everyone is hung up on the $600 thing. I never said Marco was the ONLY supplier I buy from!

Three of my pins are old crappy EM's, not much to spend on there. As for the rest, I do my pins just like everything else, on an uber-shoestring budget

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Small businesses aren't Walmart. They can't afford to just eat every return.

fyi, walmart (and other big retailers) can have liberal return policies because in their agreements with the manufacturers THEY (walmart) can send back any return for a refund. So Walmart doesn't eat anything, and the manufacturers have to eat those returns as cost of doing business.

Obviously that is a completely different model to a small retailer like Marco, and they have to do what they can to operate.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

Yeah but at least winter is ending for us. Bring on summer!

You don't know what winter is like till you visit Minnesota in January.

#39 5 years ago

X-Pin rules.
    I sent them an email this morning asking what kind of film they use, Brett got back to me and said he will send out a set for this system at no charge!

Marco deals as fair and square as you are ever going to find anywhere. Their integrity is number one. Pinscore came before X-pin and if it weren't for Marco you wouldn't have the choice of buying either brand of display.

#40 5 years ago

Uncle!!

#41 5 years ago

Sorry that's no longer good enough.

We want to hear you BEG for forgiveness.

#42 5 years ago

repent

Commence standard flogging regiment.

Glad someone got you all taken care of.

#43 5 years ago

Many pinsiders don't ever make mistakes I guess. I understand Marco's policy but damn do you have to flame the OP ? Give the guy a break....

#44 5 years ago

As an hobby operator with a reputation of having fully functional machines, Marco has been a key to my success. They are always extremely quick to ship and ship with the options my business needs to succeed. It sucks having to ship things next day air but I feel Marco is very fair about the pricing for things that need for the weekend I have spent literally 1000's of dollars over the last few years and I have talked to them on the phone and email and they have always been good to me and FAIR!

East Side Pinball

#45 5 years ago

My experience with Marco has been A1. They have a good access website, there orders are processed promptly and their staff get back to you promptly & courteously.

#46 5 years ago

Marco rocks. It's really hard for me to understand why anyone would care about how the displays look when they are off. Your lucky they didn't mock you and put you on a black list.

#47 5 years ago

SideNote are you putting those displays in your PinBot before selling it to me

Just checking

#48 5 years ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 30.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside