(Topic ID: 96939)

Frustrating Coil Problem

By Captain_Tilter

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_tilter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hey all.
So I have been working on a beat up Demolition man for the past couple of months and I am having one last (or so I hope) problem that is really stumping me. At first the lower ball release and right jet bumper coils were locked on as soon as the game was powered on while the diverter hold and top popper solenoids would not fire at all. I replaced the Tip36c, tip102 and predrivers for the high power coil and the tip102 and pre drivers for the low power coils. Turned it back on and nothing changed. Anyhow replaced the u4 and u5 ls chips upstream and BAM no more locked on coils but still no working top popper or diverter hold. I have desoldered and checked all of the diodes and resistors for both of these and all test good. When I test the top popper transistor tip 102 to ground it fires and the u5 and u4 chips I replaced earlier should indeed be the ones controlling everything. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?? 20 pin connector?etc? I am really stumped here. Thanks for any info.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks wolf. All transistors have been replaced and the diodes and resistors all test good too. Strange huh?

#5 9 years ago

They do not.

#7 9 years ago

Yea I'm out of ideas too. Reseating does not work, so yea basically everything from the u4 and u5 chips to the transistors are new that's why I was thinking it might be some kind of problem further upstream from the Ls chips? I just don't know how reasonable that sounds. Normally things like this have always been just an easy transistor fix for me...

#9 9 years ago

Yes I am getting 79v testing dc volts on them

#11 9 years ago

I did test them with one side desoldered and they both tested good. As I understand sometimes tests can fail so perhaps I should just replace them? What do ya think as I'm kinda running out of guesses ha

#12 9 years ago

Thanks dsuperbee so I looked over and continuity tested everything and sure enough there was a tiny burned trace between one on the pre-drivers and resistors. Had to jump it from the back of the board as that trace runs between the legs of another predriver. Anyways that should fix one of the coil problems! Sometimes it takes people stating the things you tell yourself you have already checked to make yourself do it again! Ha thanks

#13 9 years ago

Problems solved demolition man is up and playing. It was 2 very small almost unnoticeable traces burned! Thanks you guys!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 81.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_tilter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frustrating-coil-problem?tu=captain_tilter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.