Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

66625E57-64FF-4609-90F2-FF0A88554C05.gif
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I'm fairly new here, so maybe others can tell me if they have had similar experiences.

I responded to an ad in the marketplace about a pin for sale. It has been two weeks and the seller has not responded. I have sent three separate follow-up messages and still no response... I'm assuming the seller isn't that motivated to sell at this point.

Is this a common occurrence here?

#2 1 year ago

You cannot force someone to sell you a game, Or even respond back to you. Yes, this kind of thing is fairly common.

That game is probably sold, or the seller is on vacation. Or maybe the seller just doesn’t like you.

No point In being frustrated. Forget about that game and move on to a different one. The ship has sailed on this one. Or you’ll suddenly hear back from them one day.

Either way, that’s just pinball. Sending yet another message probably isn’t going to help.

#3 1 year ago

Not that it’s a knock against you personally, but a lot of older pinheads usually ignore sellers and buyers that have not been around long, especially those under a year. Lots of scammers out there.

#4 1 year ago

Don't despair, there's always games around. They sure make a lot of them! Also, you'll establish some great contacts with folks on both sides of the border. They will help you when hunting for titles and you'll return the favor eventually.

#5 1 year ago

Best bet is an in person sale, cash if possible. I sold my SP a while back to a newbie, as they were willing to do a cash in person deal.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You cannot force someone to sell you a game, Or even respond back to you. Yes, this kind of thing is fairly common.
    That game is probably sold, or the seller is on vacation. Or maybe the seller just doesn’t like you.
    No point In being frustrated. Forget about that game and move on to a different one. The ship has sailed on this one. Or you’ll suddenly hear back from them one day.
    Either way, that’s just pinball. Sending yet another message probably isn’t going to help.

Yup...i have other options out there. I just assumed it it was listed, they would want to sell.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Best bet is an in person sale, cash if possible. I sold my SP a while back to a newbie, as they were willing to do a cash in person deal.

I would prefer in person. I can take a closer look at the machines and will try buy cash.

#8 1 year ago

Might be because you are new. New members have a disclaimer added to their emails letting the recipient know you're new and to just be careful with a sale. I kept ignoring one guy when selling my MMr because of that disclaimer. Made it sound like he was a scammer.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Might be because you are new. New members have a disclaimer added to their emails letting the recipient know you're new and to just be careful with a sale. I kept ignoring one guy when selling my MMr because of that disclaimer. Made it sound like he was a scammer.

Well, that sucks. I didn't know that. Lol

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

Well, that sucks. I didn't know that. Lol

I’ll answer your pms and local to you.
    We’ve all been there - shake it off and keep hunting.

#11 1 year ago

Some older pinheads don’t like to sell to newbies because if anything goes wrong they are worried you will be hounding them for tech support since you know nothing about pinball(assuming anyway). Been there a few times. I didn’t mind helping but at some point I had enough with constant questions.

#12 1 year ago

Pinsider ads be all high and mighty

Yet the same cross posted ads on Cl and fb be willing to deal with any old rando

Go figure

#13 1 year ago

I sorta understand your pain, I’m new here too and have had a couple people willing to sell a stranger things machine for a curtain amount and they either change their price last min or ghost me. This is a very interesting hobby I’m finding out. Nothing like my car or guitar forums lol

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from blasius01:

Nothing like my car or guitar forums lol

I know right. Especially the gun forums…you even think about thread crapping a FS ad and you’re gone

#15 1 year ago

Other than an obvious scam, in my opinion, there is absolutely no excuse for not answering people if you post something for sale. I think it's selfish and rude to waste peoples' time. There should be some kind of script that removes for sale ads if the seller doesn't respond within a couple days.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Other than an obvious scam, in my opinion, there is absolutely no excuse for not answering people if you post something for sale. I think it's selfish and rude to waste peoples' time. There should be some kind of script that removes for sale ads if the seller doesn't respond within a couple days.

Can’t police the world. I get it, like that driver who just cut you off, it’s how YOU handle it that counts.

Maybe they ignore us this time but they’ll get ghosted on next pin they want. So goes the circle of jerk.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from underlord:

So goes the circle of jerk.

I thought that was something else.

Anyway, OP - it's a big world, other games and other sellers will come up.

#18 1 year ago

I don’t have any machines for sale, but you are welcome to come over and play them.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I thought that was something else.

Why? There’s another meaning?

66625E57-64FF-4609-90F2-FF0A88554C05.gif66625E57-64FF-4609-90F2-FF0A88554C05.gif

#20 1 year ago

Not everyone is on Pinside all the time and the default setting for email notifications seems to be off as I never received any from Pinside.

I tried to buy a Wonka from a fellow Californian here, it was the perfect deal for me because I could have traded my game for it, drop one pick one all in a day

But it didn't happen because the seller didnt check Pinside for a week and by the time he did I already committed my pinball to someone else.
    I also suspect some people don't close their ads to avoid paying the fee.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from blasius01:

I sorta understand your pain, I’m new here too and have had a couple people willing to sell a stranger things machine for a curtain amount and they either change their price last min or ghost me. This is a very interesting hobby I’m finding out. Nothing like my car or guitar forums lol

Bunch of damn weirdos in this hobby. And the weirdest ones are on Pinside.

#22 1 year ago

What was your message?

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from MooButt:

I’m very quickly realizing this

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

Is this a common occurrence here?

Not in my experience and I've bought and sold quite a few games on Pinside.

That said, there could be a lot of variables at play with your particular case - starting with the seller. Some sellers create a username only to sell one or more pins and really aren't active on Pinside otherwise. I typically only deal with sellers that are established and have a good rep.

Given they haven't responded for two weeks (which is strange barring any special circumstances), I would just move on.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Agreed...I am just gonna hope they are on vacation right now.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

What was your message?

The ad just didn't have much info, is I was asking about functionality and some playgirl images.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yup. Just last week I offered to buy a machine that is still for sale now and no reply. I had a trade offer that I followed up on and still no reply. Just forget the game and move on.. its common. Makes no sense at times, but just walk away. Theres always another machine.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

The ad just didn't have much info, is I was asking about functionality and some playgirl images.

Playgirl images? Hmmm...that's odd.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from MooButt:

I’m only one man but I’m doing my best. Sir/Ma’am/pronoun of choice/participation award winner.

I keed…I keed…

#30 1 year ago

A couple of things, I believe being new(er) to Pinside, I don’t think anyone can see messages from you, until after 25 or 50 posts. So if any messages were previous to that, there’s a good chance they don’t see it.

Now, if you’re established with whatever Pinside’s criteria is, and not getting a response through messages, then count your blessings and move on. If someone has something for sale, and doesn’t want to respond(their choice to do), they’re probably not going to be good to deal with IF you do strike a deal. Give them a fair chance, but don’t feel guilty or frustrated moving on either.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

Best auto correct ever.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

I don’t think anyone can see messages from you, until after 25 or 50 posts. So if any messages were previous to that, there’s a good chance they don’t see it.

There is a waiting period before new members can send a PM, but after that, the intended recipient will see any PMs that are sent. As far as I'm aware, there's no minimum post count in place for sending PMs.

Like others have mentioned, PMs from new members will also be accompanied by a warning message about the member being new, and to be cautious about potential scams.

This is all because scammers that happen to slip through usually try to run scams from relatively new accounts with no history.

#33 1 year ago

Yeah, OP had less than 25 post before starting this thread. So there's your answer.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

I would prefer in person. I can take a closer look at the machines and will try buy cash.

This is the way to do it. In your messages, be clear that you're willing to drive and look at the game in person, and pay cash.

Most scams involve electronic payments and/or shipping. So if you as a new member mention those, your message is probably going to be ignored or deleted.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, OP had less than 25 post before starting this thread. So there's your answer.

Please see my response above.

#36 1 year ago

Make sure you contribute to pinside to get verified. It at least is another signal that you're not a scammer.

Also, try to add something specific to the game in your initial reach out. For example, if you're looking at Deadpool, ask if the they can confirm there is no play field gouging under the katana ramp. Go through the owner's thread and know as much as you can about the game so they know you're serious.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Please see my response above.

Oh, I think I read your post wrong. Ha.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

some playgirl images

I mean, I’m not sure I would have responded to your pm either.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I mean, I’m not sure I would have responded to your pm either.

I have a Ricky Bobby gif perfect for this, but it’s only basement worthy.

#40 1 year ago

Have had plenty of messages that I responded to immediately and never heard from the person again, it's a two way street. They are probably reserving any response for someone conveying a more serious interest to avoid tire kickers/time wasters.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

They are probably reserving any response for someone conveying a more serious interest to avoid tire kickers/time wasters.

Yep, there are lots of PM’s I get from people that I don’t bother responding to when I’m selling a game. Usually they are along the lines of: “Hey, I need your best price ASAP, what is the lowest you’ll take!?!?!”

Sometimes you can just tell if someone is going to be a user you can work with or if they are going to eat up a bunch of time just to in the end say “my wife said no, sorry”. The longer someone has been in the hobby usually the easier they are to make a deal with. I like having calls with prospective buyers.

#42 1 year ago

also missing from this story is what the OP asked or sent in his message.

If you come across as needy or a time-sink.. people will often ignore you. If you project 'wishy washy' or 'waste of my time' - people will often just ignore you.

#43 1 year ago

Things go quick. If you really want the game and it’s a good detailed ad at a price that makes sense you basically need to close the deal on your first message. Like: I will buy the game, in cash, I can be there today/tomorrow, here is my phone number, feel free to call.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

What was your message?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Best auto correct ever.

Wow...didnt catch that...playfield

#45 1 year ago

Try going to CAX this weekend in Santa Clara.
    You will find machines for sale there.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

Man, that autocorrect got you again! You seriously should check your original message to this guy and see if it got you in the pm as well.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man, that autocorrect got you again! You should check your original message to this guy and see if it got you in the pm as well.

Haha love this

#48 1 year ago

Sometimes ads get a ton of responses. Once the seller has someone committed coming they may hold off responding to the other dozen questions.

Don't take it as personal and don't wait in responding to other ads. Good games move quick.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

also missing from this story is what the OP asked or sent in his message.
    If you come across as needy or a time-sink.. people will often ignore you. If you project 'wishy washy' or 'waste of my time' - people will often just ignore you.

I asked about the condition of the playfield, if it needed any repair work, and was it home use only...oh and if he had playfield images because he didn't include any in his post

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mars304:

I asked about the condition of the playfield, if it needed any repair work, and was it home use only...oh and if he had playfield images because he didn't include any in his post

"please send more photos"
    check...

That's probably why you were ignored.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frustrated?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.