Frontier Owners - Rule Question

By smileymatthew

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

This is odd -

I've had to swap out a MPU or two from this game over the years. but I can't figure this out.

I could have sworn in the past if you get the A B C rollovers up top you would get a critter in the den corresponding to each column (A - Left.. B- Center..C- Right) every time you roll over them. Now, for some reason, I only ever get them ONCE (the bottom row for a total of 3) the entire game via the rollover lanes up top, and I'm forced to get them on the Lower PF hitting the standup targets.

checked the manual for setting for this but didn't see anything! Maybe I'm crazy!

PS - This video confirms how it should be playing, mine does not do this!

#2 6 years ago

It looks to be playing correctly. I have owned three Frontiers. Keep in mind that there are two bonus criteria. ABC lanes lite each one vertical. The completion of them horizontally is a different bonus. I watched your video twice and it seems to be working fine in terms of the den of predators bonus lights.

#3 6 years ago

Sorry, I should explain, the video is NOT my game, but someone elses from youtube - mine is not playing like the video!

#4 6 years ago

Yes your right the top abc lanes should light a critter corresponding in the den.

#5 6 years ago

Sorry Matthew, I was confused (which is easily done) Looking back on some old RGP technical posts, it may a cracked solder joint on a header pin.
I will quote one of the posts.

"I put light side pressure on the driver j4 or cpu j1 and run coil tests
again to determine the bad board...pushing one way or the other, I
usually get the coils to fire properly. Then remove the board and
reflow all the header pin joints and check the Molex pins in the
connectors. (most likely a header pin joint as the original board
works) Your decoder is always seeing a zero on a data line that should
sometimes be a 1...your driver board is doing exactly what it is being
told to do, but part of the data is getting lost between the cpu and
driver board."

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the note... It's odd the rest of the game seems to work fine. In this particular instance is the driver board even involved? All that's involved here is a switch(s) and the game software/RAM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frontier-owners-rule-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.