• Latest reply 5 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_275365313072372 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I've been going through a Frontier for the last few weeks and am almost at the finish line. I'm having an issue where when the collect frontier bonus gate is open, hitting the first drop target on the right bank causes it to close. You cannot reopen the gate as long as that target is down during play. When you drop the target, you don't collect the bonus so I'm wondering if there's a short in the switch matrix?

#2 5 years ago

Check the wiring to your coin switches. Since they do not have diodes a stuck coin switch can cause weird matrix problems. Cabinet switches are not shown on the playfield matrix schematic. I like to pencil them in along with the tilt and slam sws. That makes it easier to trace the matrix and find the bad switch/diode.

#3 5 years ago

Are you familiar with how to run the switch test on this era of machine?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Are you familiar with how to run the switch test on this era of machine?

Yes, I am thinking I have a bad diode or possibly a short. When I activate switch A (the drop target) it triggers switch B, the roll over, which then causes the gate to close. If the drop is down, I can't reopen the gate as the game thinks the rollover switch to close it is also engaged. I will check out the diodes tonight.

received_275365313072372 (resized).jpegreceived_275365313072372 (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago

I think you are on track in your thinking. I cant recall if the white rollover scores some small amount of points, but if it is supposed to then you could check to see if dropping the target scores an odd amount (ie 3,010 points).

I also recall that a ball that sneaks into the collect saucer from the jet bumpers while the gate is already open would not close the gate when the ball is kicked up and out. If a ball dropped in from above the gate would close. It might have been a setting but if its not then your issue might be a little more complex.

Good luck

#6 5 years ago

I love solving matrix puzzles. So to summurize, The saucer rollover button is located at the intersection of ST3-I0. We are looking for a path that will get us from St3 to I0 through the bottom side drop target.
so lets follow the map for the easiest path. We need a shortcut through a target or switch that it's normal to be stuck closed. Coin switches are often the culprate because they do not have diodes. However a drop target with a bad or shorted diode will do the trick too.

Here is what I came up with, start at St3 pass through the spinner then onto St4 via the top side target.
So my scenario is: If the spinner is spinning and the top side drop target is down and has a bad diode then knocking down the bottom side drop target will give you the saucer rollover button. Not an easy path but possible.
Look for your own path from S3 to I0. Remember to pencil in the slam, tilt, and coin switches as they are part of the matrix too.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I love solving matrix puzzles. So to summurize, The saucer rollover button is located at the intersection of ST3-I0. We are looking for a path that will get us from St3 to I0 through the bottom side drop target.
so lets follow the map for the easiest path. We need a shortcut through a target or switch that it's normal to be stuck closed. Coin switches are often the culprate because they do not have diodes. However a drop target with a bad or shorted diode will do the trick too.
Here is what I came up with, start at St3 pass through the spinner then onto St4 via the top side target.
So my scenario is: If the spinner is spinning and the top side drop target is down and has a bad diode then knocking down the bottom side drop target will give you the saucer rollover button. Not an easy path but possible.
Look for your own path from S3 to I0. Remember to pencil in the slam, tilt, and coin switches as they are part of the matrix too.

I'll check on the coin switches too and the others you mentioned (as well as the diodes). I didn't seem to notice the spinner spinning when the error was occurring but I'm open to testing the theory at this point! I'm going to try to get a video as well. I didn't have a ton of free time last night, but I had an instance or two where the target dropped and everything was fine, so I'm wondering if a diode is going or a switch like a coin switch is sort of stuck closed but not...if that makes sense...and vibrations are triggering it. Anyway - appreciate the thoughts and I will investigate!

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

Still at my wits end with this thing. If I drop the target in switch test it will register the roll over switch also for a few seconds and then stop and just show the drop target switch as the only closed switch. No visible shorts and the diodes are testing good...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frontier-drop-target-closed-gate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.