(Topic ID: 111934)

Frontier Club - Shirtless Men and Women only.

By Xenon75

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Clytor
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SDB_J3_Wire_Colors_Bally.png
IMG_5498 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230929_160352811.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_6389 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6388 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9446 (resized).JPG
5J5A9188 (resized).JPG
5J5A9189 (resized).JPG
5J5A9137 (resized).JPG
5J5A9032 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
5J5A9015 (resized).JPG
5J5A8935 (resized).JPG
5J5A8763 (resized).JPG
5J5A8735 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #204 Link to Pinball Pimp Cabinet Stencils for Frontier Posted by Spraynard (5 years ago)

Post #231 Link to replacement CPR Frontier Backglass Posted by Tsskinne (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

Welcome to the Official Bally Frontier club. Home to one of the most polarizing games of the early 80's.

People seem to either love or hate the art and the sounds of this game.

Frontier is fantastic game that is challenging to all skill levels. I love mine and it is part of my permanent collection. This club is for owners and fans to exchange stories, parts, gameplay tips, etc about Frontier.

#2 9 years ago

I would love to snag one someday.

#3 9 years ago

PPS has recently requested how much interest there would be for a new Frontier plastic set. Please visit this page if you are interested.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/product/frontier-plastic-set/

Hopefully they will find the films for the playfield so we can all restore this great game to its ferocious glory.

#4 9 years ago

There is one in my neighborhood I've been told to go ask about - I've never seen one in person, anything to look for when I check it out?
Been thinking of picking it up just to have an early SS on which to practice.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

People seem to either love or hate the art...

Whom the hell could hate the art on this thing? It's behind priceless. I have my suspicions The Dr Pepper advertising team was playing this when they came up with their recent ads.

#6 9 years ago

Want to understand the rules.
Do women need to be shirtless?

#7 9 years ago

Former owner here, really great game from that classic Bally -35 era. I really enjoyed mine and did a decent amount to it before it sold, so I'll be happy to be a member of the club and answer questions if some come up I tackled

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

What questions do you have about the rules?

Is anyone going to argue if the women decide to fight the bear shirtless?

#9 9 years ago

Glad to finally see a club on this one.

#10 9 years ago

I really enjoy tha artwork and the sound of this pinball.
I'm looking for brand new eprom to fixe mine.

It remind me the great movie "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford.

Jeremiah_Johnson_24-sheet_1972.jpgJeremiah_Johnson_24-sheet_1972.jpg
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

What questions do you have about the rules?

I won't.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

That would probably gross out the bear at least.

#13 9 years ago

Rules explained here:

One of the best single ball SS Ballys, IMO. Would love to find a new playfield for mine. If anyone has one they're interested in selling, PM me!

#14 9 years ago

Does anyone have some shop out pictures? I've got a friend who tore down the topside without taking pictures. I took as many pictures as possible of the one at PAPA, but some pictures with the plastics removed would be really helpful.

Thanks!

#15 9 years ago

Does anyone have a set of playfield plastics?

I know that Rick at Planetary has indicated that he has the ability to make sets, and I see a set on ebay.

I am trying to bring a stripped, slightly above average playfield back to life and it has nothing on the topside.

I would like an inexpensive, potentially temporary set of original plastics in any condition along with other topside parts if you guys have any.

Thanks

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Does anyone have some shop out pictures? I've got a friend who tore down the topside without taking pictures. I took as many pictures as possible of the one at PAPA, but some pictures with the plastics removed would be really helpful.
Thanks!

I am also looking for some good shop out pics. I am trying to determine where all of the top of playfield hardware is located, including plastic post, metal posts and ball guides.

Thanks

#17 9 years ago

This one's on my shortlist. I'd love to hear some strategies..

#18 9 years ago

Never seen one in real life, only played the Future Pinball recreation, but what a great game. I always go for the "shoot again" first, hit the inline drops for the Frontier Bonus multiplier, and collect the Frontier Bonus via the saucer at the top as many times as possible.

2 weeks later
#19 9 years ago

Looking for a spinner or a spinner decal if anyone has an actual one or a good scanned image.

1 month later
#20 9 years ago

Love the crickets! Took 2 machines and 3yrs but plays amazing. Thanks to singlebanana for making the cards and thanks to EEE for printing them and sending them to me.
IMG_1506.jpgIMG_1506.jpgIMG_1481.JPGIMG_1481.JPGIMG_1635.jpgIMG_1635.jpg

#21 9 years ago

Nice looking game!

#22 9 years ago

My long Frontier story(as short as possible )
Fell in love with a clear coated Frontier at Chicago show in early 2000's.
Found a working game with worn play field.
Found an NOS play field.
Sent it to a pinsider to be cleared.
Put it on the wall to cure for @ 1year.
Decided it was going to be the first pf change over I was going to do.
Spent 3 days with a good friend carefully doing the swap.
Had a party and let the game be played for the first time.
Next day saw the pf with a light behind it revealing the clear coat was separating from the pf with every ball hop.
Took everything off the pf , sent it back.
When it returned, put everything back on and put it in my arcade.
It has been wonderful ever since and many folks love playing it at my business and clear is holding up great after about 2 yrs of hard play.
Great Sound, Great play, Great game!

#23 9 years ago

Wow! I wish I could find and NOS field for mine. My wife tries to get me to sell Frontier everytime someone comes over to buy a game. I love it and its not going anywhere.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

My long Frontier story(as short as possible )
Fell in love with a clear coated Frontier at Chicago show in early 2000's.
Found a working game with worn play field.
Found an NOS play field.
Sent it to a pinsider to be cleared.
Put it on the wall to cure for @ 1year.
Decided it was going to be the first pf change over I was going to do.
Spent 3 days with a good friend carefully doing the swap.
Had a party and let the game be played for the first time.
Next day saw the pf with a light behind it revealing the clear coat was separating from the pf with every ball hop.
Took everything off the pf , sent it back.
When it returned, put everything back on and put it in my arcade.
It has been wonderful ever since and many folks love playing it at my business and clear is holding up great after about 2 yrs of hard play.
Great Sound, Great play, Great game!

I also fell in love with this machine....it just happened to be yours.

#25 9 years ago

All time game, no question. I did that rules explanation video with a crappy camera before fixing all the loose inserts. If anyone is curious, here's gameplay vid I did a few months later for the PAPA archive -

#26 9 years ago

Noah, you're video is what really grabbed my attention and made me seek this game out initially. Thank you!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from SSrig:

Love the crickets! Took 2 machines and 3yrs but plays amazing. Thanks to singlebanana for making the cards and thanks to EEE for printing them and sending them to me.

Daaaaamn, that playfield looks incredible. I am extremely jealous!

#28 9 years ago

Would like to have one. Never saw/played one but dig the outdoor theme.

#29 9 years ago

Wow - that is abeaut! (Missing post rubber next to the inlines though )

Glad to hear people are still finding those old vids and spreading the Frontier love!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from noahpdavis:

Wow - that is abeaut! (Missing post rubber next to the inlines though )
Glad to hear people are still finding those old vids and spreading the Frontier love!

Huh? I'm looked at pics and vid's but can't find anything missing

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from SSrig:

Huh? I'm looked at pics and vid's but can't find anything missing

I think he's talking about the mini post to the right of the first inline target.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I think he's talking about the mini post to the right of the first inline target.

Ah! Thanks to both of u. I thought it was like the LOTR post. Just looked on ipdb and now I gotta add a rubber. Damn, that shot is already hard enough!

#33 9 years ago

Robert Redford ? Dan Haggerty ? grizzly Addams ! I got mine last October !! it's a keeper ! dan_haggerty_with_bear_very20small.jpgdan_haggerty_with_bear_very20small.jpg

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from SSrig:

Ah! Thanks to both of u. I thought it was like the LOTR post. Just looked on ipdb and now I gotta add a rubber. Damn, that shot is already hard enough!

I know right? That's what is great about the shots on that game. Tough but satisfying. That mini post rubber gets A LOT of action on mine.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

What is the dealio with the rules on this thing anyway? That seems to be the kicker for it lately. Something about the way the bonus works?

#36 9 years ago

Anyone know the story of why this game is listed 2 times in archive?

once as bell
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/frontier-bellgames

once as bally
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/frontier

I have only seen the Bally version. What is the story?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

What is the dealio with the rules on this thing anyway? That seems to be the kicker for it lately. Something about the way the bonus works?

There is both a rules video and a gameplay video in the posts above this one.

Bonus collect game. Very similar rule structure to Eight Ball Deluxe, Skateball, Space Invaders etc. Build bonus, multiply bonus, qualify bonus collect, collect bonus.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone know the story of why this game is listed 2 times in archive?
once as bell
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/frontier-bellgames
once as bally
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/frontier
I have only seen the Bally version. What is the story?

Didn't Bell only do "kit" games?

Like, here's a playfield overlay, a new translite, and BAM...you've got a new game.

Pinball equivalent of the JAMMA arcade system.

Long story short...I would guess that Bell's Frontier would be very, very different. Maybe a space theme, or something.

Pete

#39 9 years ago

I'm wrong.

Apparently Bell's version of Frontier was identical to the Bally game.

They must have had a deal with Bally in the early 80's. Looks like Bell Games produced other Bally games like Flash Gordon and Fireball II...probably for the European market.

I only knew about the company from the Centaur conversion kit (Fantasy), and Tiger Rag (6 Million Dollar Man kit).

#40 9 years ago

I am fortunate to have found a NOS playfield and NOS backglass early in my pinball collecting activity. Plus I found a really nice restoration candidate with non-hacked wiring harnesses, boards, and great apron, plastics. It all just matched up. Working on it now. Just finished up my 1980 Rolling Stones full up restoration. Cannot wait to add a perfect Frontier to the Bally line up.

#41 9 years ago

interesting about the bell/bally games.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I am fortunate to have found a NOS playfield and NOS backglass early in my pinball collecting activity. Plus I found a really nice restoration candidate with non-hacked wiring harnesses, boards, and great apron, plastics. It all just matched up. Working on it now. Just finished up my 1980 Rolling Stones full up restoration. Cannot wait to add a perfect Frontier to the Bally line up.

Would love to see some pics of that when you're finished!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Noah, you're video is what really grabbed my attention and made me seek this game out initially. Thank you!

Same here. I saw the videos some time ago and they are what really got me into the older Bally SS's. I didn't know it at the time, but I actually played in a group with you at PAPA a few years ago Noah. Great player and really nice guy. I look forward to more videos of these classics in the future.

#44 9 years ago

Sorta OT, but this is perhaps my favorite Noah video:

#45 9 years ago

The 100k @ R9 Mod!

#46 9 years ago

We need to start a rally cry (Bally cry?) to get a repro playfield on this one! I love mine, but it needs a ton of touch up work to be like new again. For now I just play the hell out of it. Who would throw down for a new playfield?! I would.

#47 9 years ago

I would absolutely buy one!

#48 9 years ago

I started a playfield request topic. Lets see how many people get on board. You never know what could happen.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frontier-playfield-repros-whos-in

#49 9 years ago

I added my name to your request list - really hoping that it will happen!

#50 9 years ago

I'm in too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frontier-club-shirtless-men-and-women-only?hl=tractordoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.