• Latest reply 4 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball1 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

How do you go about refinishing the front apron? Mine has several scratches and was wondering what everyone else does to make these look better? I can duplicate the front score card but those scratches!

Tim

Pinball1 (resized).jpgPinball1 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Gottlieb.html

Decals here

Your apron doesn’t look too bad.
Color match and touch up would be less work.

#3 4 years ago

That’s a very decent original. I’m struggling to see any scratches. Some light rust where the ball drains is all I can really detect.

The decals from Pinball Rescue are well produced, but they are essentially giant stickers. They only have the blue and red colors printed on them. The rest of it is transparent, so you have to strip the paint off the old apron, spray it with white paint, redo the webbing, and apply the sticker carefully to avoid bubbles.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Slickfam99:

How do you go about refinishing the front apron? Mine has several scratches and was wondering what everyone else does to make these look better? I can duplicate the front score card but those scratches!
Tim[quoted image]

Tim,
What scratches are you referring too? Are you referring to the webbing?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Tim,
What scratches are you referring too? Are you referring to the webbing?

Oh, good point. He probably is. My very first game was a King Pin, which had very fine webbing on it. I thought they were scratches, too!

#6 4 years ago

apron looks great. usually I just touch up blemishes on aprons and clearcoat them.

#7 4 years ago

I'll take a closer look at the finish. Maybe I was mistaking the webbing for scratches. I was going to wipe down and put a layer of wax on it to keep the sheen.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Slickfam99:

I'll take a closer look at the finish. Maybe I was mistaking the webbing for scratches. I was going to wipe down and put a layer of wax on it to keep the sheen.

Wipe very carefully. The ink on the apron has no protection and will come off with just about any solvent, including water. The webbing is a little more robust, but it will also disappear with cleaning that is too aggressive.

#9 4 years ago

It looks fine to me. As leckmeck has said, clean VERY carefully. It's one of those situations where WD-40 has a use. Try a little on a rag, and go easy in one spot. Check for any paint loss. I've had good luck with it though.

#10 4 years ago

You're most definitely mistaking the webbing for scratches. I don't see a single scratch anywhere on that apron.

I clean mine by lightly moistening a rag with Windex and gently wipe. You might try plain water first. That might be enough. Look at the rag to see if any paint is smearing. The red is very susceptible.

#11 4 years ago

I can live with an original with webbing as long as everything else is ok. However, if there's a lot of rust or other paint loss, well, I don't care that much about the webbing. I'm going to refinish the apron. It's right there in your face and what's the sense in doing a full restoration and reusing a rusty old apron?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/front-apron-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.