9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0201.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider notaflyingtoy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianMadden:

Hi Everyone,
I'm Brian Madden, one of the creators (along with Gabe Knuth) of the Mission Pinball Framework (MPF), a Python-based open source pinball framework that can be used to create software for pinball machines with P-ROC or FAST pinball controllers in them.
In the JPOP thread last week, I was talking about how if JPOP wanted to use MPF to be the software for his machines, I believe that someone could get the code for his machine completely done in a month or two. I also said I'd take the challenge to see how far I can get with MPF with a brand new machine in one day. (i.e. I walk up to a machine I've never written any code for, and using MPF, how far can I get in a day?)
So anyway, today is that day. I have a Demolition Man that I just got, and at 7:30 this morning, I removed the Williams MPU and replaced it with a P-ROC. After that it only took me 1 hour 45 minutes to get a completely playable game up and running. (About 45min was spent just going through the manual and adding all the switches, coils, lamps, and flashers into my config, 45min to group all those together into the "logical" devices like troughs, VUKs, jets, flippers, targets, etc. Maybe 15min to fix typos and adjust pulse times and another min or two to throw together a real quick DMD attract show and game display.)
Of course there is no scoring or music or light shows, but you can play complete games.. multiple players, etc. And of course it was under 2 hours! I'm just trying to show how easy it is to get started.
Unfortunately I need to step away for a few hours, but when I get back I'll create some shots, scoring, maybe some modes, some light shows, music, etc. (And again, this is all just in one day.)
Anyway, here's a Youtube video of the (boring yet playable) game after 2 hours:
» YouTube video
Here's a link to the entire "config" I created which powers the code in this video:
https://gist.github.com/missionpinball/5d34dcd21ce1aa906ab4
Here's the step-by-step tutorial which you can use to do the same thing on your game:
https://missionpinball.com/docs/tutorial/
I'll post more later today to show the progress. I'll also write a full blog post tomorrow with all the details, including links to all the configs, the show files, etc.

Phenomenal.
I have seen your website and read a little of the documentation. Exciting stuff for sure and an impressive proof of concept. MPF really facilitates rapid iteration.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Can this be used to make a stand alone Stewie Pinball machine to Play?
Not a trick question, I have a NIB Stewie Pinball and it would be cool to make it it's own machine without installing it into a FG.

You have got to make this happen!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 72.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider notaflyingtoy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-zero-to-a-flipping-game-in-1h45m-with-the-mission-framework?tu=notaflyingtoy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.