(Topic ID: 173103)

From Trash Gordon to Flash Gordon (my restoration)

By djblouw

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170703_111841 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170703_111834 (resized).jpg
IMG_3058 - Copy (resized).JPG
IMG_3776 (resized).JPG
IMG_3771 (resized).JPG
IMG_3770 (resized).JPG
IMG_3767 (resized).JPG
IMG_3746 (resized).JPG
IMG_3763 (resized).JPG
IMG_3744 (resized).JPG
IMG_3702 (resized).JPG
IMG_3696 (resized).JPG
IMG_3700 (resized).JPG
IMG_3701 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_3691 (resized).JPG
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

What happened to make you have to do touch ups? I'm about to do my stencils and wondered if it's something I can help beforehand. Did some paint creep over and it can be sometimes unavoidable?
Thanks

My guess is that the paint cured too much before I pulled the decals.
All of the edges seemed to not be straight (even though I made sure to ensure the decal was firmly secured before painting). I only waited 10 mins.
When pulling the decals off, the edges wanted to pull the paint. And with the next (gold) decals, they pulled all the edges off, so it wasn't straight.
The gold decals pulled very nice, as I did it as soon as all of the paint was applied. These edges were nice and straight. But I fear that if I had to put another decal on top of that, it'd pull the edges again.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

My guess is that the paint cured too much before I pulled the decals.
All of the edges seemed to not be straight (even though I made sure to ensure the decal was firmly secured before painting). I only waited 10 mins.
When pulling the decals off, the edges wanted to pull the paint. And with the next (gold) decals, they pulled all the edges off, so it wasn't straight.
The gold decals pulled very nice, as I did it as soon as all of the paint was applied. These edges were nice and straight. But I fear that if I had to put another decal on top of that, it'd pull the edges again.

Great, thanks for the info. That helps.

#53 7 years ago

So much soldering....I'm breaking it up into segments, to make it not so tedious. I should be done with this portion in about 5 days.

IMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG

#54 7 years ago

Back to the cabinet:

I tried pulling the stencils very soon after painting the black (on the head). It REALLY did not work well (see the A, L, L, Y in Bally). So I tried to force cure the paint with a heat gun. Still no improved results from the cabinet--see all the jagged edges on all the art.

IMG_3681 (resized).JPGIMG_3681 (resized).JPG

After a few choice words, I realized that I was having an adhesion issue between the paints, when the black was fresh. After a couple days, the adhesion great. So I decided I'd paint the other side, and not pull the decals. I waited three days (normal time for paint to "fully" crosslink), and then pulled the decals. What a difference.

IMG_3682 (resized).JPGIMG_3682 (resized).JPG

Now my dilemma is what to do with the first side of the head. Should I sand it down, repaint red, and re-stencil? Try to touch it up by hand? Leave it, and just put that side against the wall? Of course, I know the correct answer, but I am not very thrilled about the additional work that it will require.

#55 7 years ago

What paints were you using? I have been through all those painful problems as well. In my case I settled on painting using spray cans, using something NOT advertised as quick drying and preferably oil-based (hard to find), and pulling the stencils as soon as possible. I did some testing withe letting things dry thoroughly like you did but my results were not great, the dry film lapping up onto the stencil pulled paint off as well but in smaller little chips.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What paints were you using?

For the red, I used a monocoat 2 component enamel.
For the black I decided to use rustoleum 2x in a rattle can.
The gold is a gold Ace hardware brand in a rattle can.

I think if I could have scuffed the red prior to laying down the black, I would have been fine. But there's too much detail for that.

I figured out how to do it with what I have. So I will know for next time.

2 weeks later
#57 7 years ago

Cabinet is now home, and I've started to install the cabinet wire harness.

IMG_3687 (resized).JPGIMG_3687 (resized).JPG

IMG_3686 (resized).JPGIMG_3686 (resized).JPG

#58 7 years ago

I managed to get the head re-decaled for the black, and also got the gold laid down.

IMG_3689 (resized).JPGIMG_3689 (resized).JPG

And here's the side that I didn't have to respray the black.

IMG_3691 (resized).JPGIMG_3691 (resized).JPG

Overall, I'm pleased with how the head turned out. I picked up a couple of lessons, but am happy with the product.

#59 7 years ago

Very nicely done! I love the serial number stamped on the head side.... still visible.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

Very nicely done! I love the serial number stamped on the head side.... still visible.

Thanks, I thought of filling them in--but then came to my senses.

Everything is in the cabinet. I'm waiting for the chrome pieces, so the project might be slowing down until those arrive.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#61 7 years ago

Boards placed in the head

IMG_3696 (resized).JPGIMG_3696 (resized).JPG

Head ready to meet the cabinet

IMG_3700 (resized).JPGIMG_3700 (resized).JPG

Everything plugged in

IMG_3701 (resized).JPGIMG_3701 (resized).JPG

And holy crap! all the displays work! The soundboard works too!

IMG_3702 (resized).JPGIMG_3702 (resized).JPG

Since I had never had this machine powered on before, and it was a basket case when I got it, I was expecting the displays not to work (gassed out) and was praying that the soundboard was okay.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the strobe. I'll poke around some more, and see if it's the lamp, or the board.

Overall, I'm very lucky with components. Once the chrome pieces arrive, they'll be fitted to the PF, and then we'll get to see how that behaves.

#62 7 years ago

Nice work!

1 month later
#63 7 years ago

And the chrome has arrived! Wow, is this stuff pretty.

IMG_3744 (resized).JPGIMG_3744 (resized).JPG

Yes, that reflection is a wood tile ceiling in my basement. It's cool looking in the coin door reflection.

Now, I can get back to re-assembling everything. Cabinet is up first.

#64 7 years ago

Did you have the coin door chromed? (looks nice!)

#65 7 years ago

Daaaaaaaamn! This game is looking great, can't wait to play it someday!

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Did you have the coin door chromed? (looks nice!)

Yes, new door skin got chrome plated. I almost don't want to put the Bally sticker back on it now, it looks so nice.

Quoted from wontwa:

Daaaaaaaamn! This game is looking great, can't wait to play it someday!

Thanks! I'm trying to get it done before PATZ, if you're going this year.

1 week later
#67 7 years ago

I've started getting the chrome parts on the PF. Wow do these look nice.

IMG_3763 (resized).JPGIMG_3763 (resized).JPG

Here's a test fit of the side rails, before they were nailed down:

IMG_3746 (resized).JPGIMG_3746 (resized).JPG

22 days until PATZ. The race is on to get this done.

#68 7 years ago

For the ramps and ball guides, are they chromed originals? Can you see any of the previous ball wear?

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

chrome parts on the PF

Damn, I need my shades!

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

For the ramps and ball guides, are they chromed originals? Can you see any of the previous ball wear?

Yes, these are the originals. They had some issues plating them, but they really went the extra mile to make sure that they looked good. Thanks again to HRA sc93cobra

There is only one spot on one ramp that has a little area that couldn't be fixed (left ramp at the top). The ball wear is gone on all the other parts.

#71 7 years ago

Beautiful job you're doing. It looks gorgeous.

#72 7 years ago

The side rails look sweet in chrome

#73 7 years ago

Coin door has been reassembled. I had to do it twice, because I forgot to put the coin flap in the first time.

IMG_3767 (resized).JPGIMG_3767 (resized).JPG

It looks so good, I almost don't want to put the Bally sticker back on it.

#74 7 years ago

Can't wait to play this thing!

#75 7 years ago

Pf ready to go into the cabinet.

IMG_3770 (resized).JPGIMG_3770 (resized).JPG

#76 7 years ago

Wow, is chrome pretty!

IMG_3771 (resized).JPGIMG_3771 (resized).JPG

#77 7 years ago

Great job on a fun but tough game ... Hail Ming...

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Bongiorno:

Great job on a fun but tough game ... Hail Ming...

Thanks. Cute dog too.

#79 7 years ago

And it works!!

IMG_3776 (resized).JPGIMG_3776 (resized).JPG

I had a couple of stuck switches, and a coil that was wired incorrect. So a couple hours of trouble shooting, and I was able to play a game.

Still lots of de-bugging to do, but it's starting to get in the home stretch.

#80 7 years ago

Very nice work, your game is beautiful!

#81 7 years ago

VERY nice. Looking forward to seeing it at PATZ.

Chris

#82 7 years ago

Flash G looks beautiful! I really like the light reflection through the rubbers... What rubber was used on the game?

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Very nice work, your game is beautiful!

Quoted from SideTrackTap:

VERY nice. Looking forward to seeing it at PATZ.
Chris

Thanks!

Quoted from Groucho:

Flash G looks beautiful! I really like the light reflection through the rubbers... What rubber was used on the game?

The rubbers are from Titan. It's the transparent ones. I use these on all of my games that I restore. I like that they seem to "glow" from the lighting

#84 7 years ago

Just awesome!

#85 7 years ago

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in person.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks guys.

I'm kind of nervous to bring it to PATZ, out of fear of the chrome getting scraped. What is everyone's thoughts on getting people to take off their rings before playing?

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

What is everyone's thoughts on getting people to take off their rings before playing?

At a public venue? Good luck with that. Put an old stainless lockdown on it. Won't look as pretty but it won't get trashed either.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

At a public venue? Good luck with that. Put an old stainless lockdown on it. Won't look as pretty but it won't get trashed either.

Yeah, that kind of what I figured. Maybe I'll still post a sign on the glass or something.

I don't have any other lockdowns from that era. Plus, the side rail is going to be there still. Maybe putting mylar over it might help?

#89 7 years ago

Get some low bond clear tape and take care of the problem areas. You have more than pinball people to worry about so the risk is high.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Get some low bond clear tape and take care of the problem areas. You have more than pinball people to worry about so the risk is high.

Good call. I'll see what I can find. It won't be as pretty at the show with the tape on it, but hopefully it will save on the scratches.

#91 7 years ago

Game looks fantastic...awesome job.

#92 7 years ago

Nice work Daane! It looks amazing. Can't wait to play it next week!

#93 7 years ago

Looks awesome, can't wait to play it. Only ones I've played have been pretty rough. I would put tape on the chrome, but a sign asking to remove jewelry is fair. Personally I would respect the owner's wish but not everyone has respect for others' property unfortunately.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Looks awesome, can't wait to play it. Only ones I've played have been pretty rough. I would put tape on the chrome, but a sign asking to remove jewelry is fair. Personally I would respect the owner's wish but not everyone has respect for others' property unfortunately.

Yeah, it's playing pretty fast after a couple coats of wax. Hopefully everyone will enjoy it.

I've found a tape that should work. I just can't trust everyone to follow the request, so the tape idea will have to work. It may not be as pretty, but will still play he same.

1 week later
#95 7 years ago

Well, I'm marking this restoration complete.

I managed to win "Best of the 80's" as PATZ. I was hoping for best in show as well, but it still feels good to be recognized.

I had some odd lighting issues at the show that seemed intermittent. I ended up diagnosing it as low line voltage, and just let it go. Once home, everything worked again as intended.

Thanks to all that followed along.

IMG_3058 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_3058 - Copy (resized).JPG

#96 7 years ago

Congrats!

That win is well deserved, beautiful machine you have there.

#97 7 years ago

And since I won an award, I think I get to give a thank you speech:

A big THANK YOU to all those that supplied parts, or let me pick their brain:

Hot Rot Arcade sc93cobra
Big Daddy Enterprises
Pinball Pimp PinballPimp
Pin Restore
Gatecrasher
Pinball Resource
Pinball Life pinballlife
Siegecraft HHaase
Comet Pinball ryanwanger
Titan Pinball Titan_Pinball
Great Plains Elec
ULEK ULEKstore
Merf's Pins
Marco Spec
Radio Shack

Thank you!

1 month later
#98 6 years ago

I played this at PatZ and was astonished at your craftsmanship. Especially so because this is a title a grew up with in my parents' basement. It was a real treat to play a game from my youth in such pristine condition. Loved the custom coin plates from Ulek store and thanks to Tsskinne for pointing me to this thread. Congrats on a job well done, Daane. Hopefully our paths will cross one day and I'll get to tell you as much in person.

Sincerely,
Ryan

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I played this at PatZ and was astonished at your craftsmanship. Especially so because this is a title a grew up with in my parents' basement. It was a real treat to play a game from my youth in such pristine condition. Loved the custom coin plates from Ulek store and thanks to tsskinne for pointing me to this thread. Congrats on a job well done, Daane. Hopefully our paths will cross one day and I'll get to tell you as much in person.
Sincerely,
Ryan

Thanks for the compliments. If you ever make it over to GR, drop me a line and you can spend some more time playing it. (And we can have a pitch-off on Penny Pitch, too!)

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

...we can have a pitch-off on Penny Pitch, too!)

Them's fightin' woyds.

ThnkThnk..thnk....thnk........thnk................thnk........

*Ding-ding-ding!!!*

PM sent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 199.95
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-trash-gordon-to-flash-gordon-my-restoration/page/2?hl=tractordoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.