(Topic ID: 173103)

From Trash Gordon to Flash Gordon (my restoration)

By djblouw

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RyanClaytor
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 53 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20170703_111841 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170703_111834 (resized).jpg
IMG_3058 - Copy (resized).JPG
IMG_3776 (resized).JPG
IMG_3771 (resized).JPG
IMG_3770 (resized).JPG
IMG_3767 (resized).JPG
IMG_3746 (resized).JPG
IMG_3763 (resized).JPG
IMG_3744 (resized).JPG
IMG_3702 (resized).JPG
IMG_3696 (resized).JPG
IMG_3700 (resized).JPG
IMG_3701 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_3691 (resized).JPG

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

I’ll start out by saying that this is not a super high end restoration. I’ve restored a handful of machines previously (all WPC), each one getting better and more in depth.

However, this Flash Gordon will be my largest undertaking yet. Partly because there’s a lot to do, and partly because it’s a SS machine—man everything is complicated on the pf!

I had previously owned a FG, but foolishly sold it to make room for other games. But, when this machine popped up at an unbeatable price (less than I could buy just a CPR backglass), I figured I’d give it a go.

Here’s my restoration thread.

#2 2 years ago

As received, the cabinet wasn’t too terrible, as expected for a 35 year old machine. Lots of dents and bruises. Someone had touch up the head during its life, but did a horrible job color matching. And of course the red/pink was badly faded.

A210E8E9-9612-458E-AACC-EC15E0FEC10A_zpsrynxn11j (resized).jpg

Coin door had been punished at some point. That skin will need to be replaced.

E9B0B37C-6D02-4ED8-9328-226F807B221D_zpshigvgmbf (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

The pf is toast. Lots of wear, as usual for FG. My previous one had mylar, so it looked pretty decent. But I couldn’t let the new one in the house like that—the other games would make fun of it!

078625FC-6071-4519-836B-42F3E295165C_zpsza4l43vv (resized).jpg

4ADD7DA7-AE3B-472A-A1E1-7D802597DC2D_zpsutscf0n2 (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

Since this is my first cabinet restore, I know I have a lot to learn. Usually I just have a new cabinet made. But that’s for my WPC games, and I didn’t feel like measuring out for the Bally SS cab and going through the process.

Lots of dirt

056F1551-1551-484C-90D5-3DDFA5496F66_zpsozd0s5y3 (resized).jpg

And lots of grime from many years of beer being spilled on it

4C0932DB-5265-48F3-B17A-067718C37D11_zpswaknhcb6 (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Following this thing, good luck, can't wait to swoop it off you in a deal

#6 2 years ago

Looking forward to watching your progress on this machine. I've got one to do as well.

There are repro-aprons being done if you are interested. Yours looks prety good for the picture its referenced above.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-bally-aprons

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Looking forward to watching your progress on this machine. I've got one to do as well.
There are repro-aprons being done if you are interested. Yours looks prety good for the picture its referenced above.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-bally-aprons

Yep, I'm on the list. Mine isn't terrible, but a brand new one would sure look better!

#8 2 years ago

What are your plans with the playfield? It has that typical FG blown out look.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead_jack:

What are your plans with the playfield? It has that typical FG blown out look.

I managed to get a new pf for it.

Ming will be pleased.

cb191e404e2d0feb3fed416e451ec7e0208bfa01 (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

WOW, CPR playfields are still around?!?

#11 2 years ago

Playfield worth more than the machine and harder to get. It's one of the toughest, theyre out there though.

#12 2 years ago

Yes,I got lucky on the pf. The Michigan pinball scene is pretty good for stuff like that.

I haven't been lucky enough to find a new plastics set, though. So if anyone has one, I'm interested!!

#13 2 years ago

Will you be dropping in all new light sockets?

#14 2 years ago

Will you be dropping in all new light sockets?

Yes, replacing all the lamp sockets on the pf.

I'll end up replacing all the ones on the light board insert (in the head). I'm pretty sure this will be one of my least favorite parts. There is nearly 50 sockets in the light board, all of which are stapled, and have the common wire run between them. Ugh.

#15 2 years ago

All of the metal components have been stripped from the cabinet. I've decided to get them re-zinc plated, as I don't think I could ever clean them well enough, and chrome plating everything would probably cost a small fortune. I will have certain items chromed, but not everything.

Here's what the inside of the coin door looked like. 30 year old beer does some nasty stuff to metal

5298E574-D7B3-4E41-986F-A5CB8992E560_zpshpuc9mxd (resized).jpg

This is the first batch of metal parts ready to go out to the plater

00C4545D-F207-42E3-8861-6B476E133B76_zpsnkbkwkwr (resized).jpg

#16 2 years ago

How much does getting all that plated cost?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How much does getting all that plated cost?

am curious as well.

#18 2 years ago

Wow zinc plating did a great job of making these parts look nice again

35501121-987F-477E-8284-BFBA2FF00F69_zpsjxooegq2 (resized).jpg

16037442-212F-407E-A0AD-E28B574571DC_zps6msrforo (resized).jpg

I think prices are really going to depend on location. I paid cash, so think it was probably a better deal that way. I spend more on a decent dinner for 2 than I did to get these re-plated.

#20 2 years ago

Here's the coin door in process (see above for the nasty-ness that was on it)

C9C88C94-2FA2-47B0-9BDB-DA2D0F84F8AB_zpswpv8yncp (resized).jpg

#21 2 years ago

Before:

0AFC29BC-8D3E-40FD-B6B0-F39A9F8EF89A_zpswh3v9tg4 (resized).jpg

After (with some cleaning in between):

A54F52B0-21F0-4225-97D3-0C6AB6271526_zps1t92ynnp (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

After (with some cleaning in between):

Just a little

#23 2 years ago

Nice!

#24 2 years ago

I dropped of another batch of parts to be re-zinc plated today. Hopefully that's it for that operation.

I started the cabinet prep, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill...well, you get the point. I used a gray primer, since I'm putting red back over it.

F6048731-7FAF-41CE-BF6A-5A8E5E77A4F1_zps3smjkk9f (resized).jpg

46FF4608-8055-4834-B596-99399C81C2FD_zpscltbnik7 (resized).jpg

CA07F5C6-BB8A-4CCE-BFF8-9606B2BFA2BB_zps5gvsus0z (resized).jpg

4CA351D2-C6CC-430E-9175-8797C4E7CED3_zpstvaiejbq (resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago

Great progress...keep up the momentum

#26 2 years ago

It's been too cold/dark out to get any more painting done. I'm going to have to move it indoors at this point. Thankfully, we've got some nice paint booths at work, and with the Thanksgiving break, I should be able to get it taken care of.

My stencils arrived from Pinball Pimp. They seem very nice, and I can't wait to use them.

IMG_3596 (resized).JPG

#27 2 years ago

Can't wait to see this thing!

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Can't wait to see this thing!

Yeah, it's still going to be a long time. My hope is to have if finished and debugged by PATZ.

I got the second set of parts back from zinc plating. I just can't believe how good it looks. I think this is my favorite part (well, until I get the chrome stuff back, maybe)

IMG_3593 (resized).JPG

#29 2 years ago

I managed to get the playfield rails sprayed at work today, between projects.

I applied a basecoat (flat black), followed by a top coat (ebony black). In a couple of days, I'll paint them with clearcoat.

IMG_3617 (resized).JPG

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I used a gray primer, since I'm putting red back over it.

A dark primer wont kill the red color?

#31 2 years ago

Playfield rails looking good

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

A dark primer wont kill the red color?

I sure hope not! If the primer impacted the color, it would have to be a red shade primer, to not have that happen.

No, actually it looks darker in the pictures. The red will go on in a couple of coats, so there should be enough thickness to not have the primer impact the color.

I'm going with a red that has a little less "pink" appearance than the original. I know it's blasphemy, but it was too pink for my liking (even in the non-faded areas).

#33 2 years ago

Playfield rails looking good

Thanks!

Depending on how well the clearcoat goes on the rails, I may contemplate clearcoating the cabinet as well, once it's had the colors put on.

#34 2 years ago

After looking at the cabinet more, I didn't like that I could see some grain. So, I filled with Durhams, and sanded back down.

image (resized).jpeg

More primer added. Then, I painted the interior. I used a "soft touch" low gloss black. It should give it a nice look, and it's self healing too, so I can hopefully avoid scratches.

#35 2 years ago

So, I have a new irrational hate. Cleaning clear coat out of rollover inserts is terrible. They REALLY need to come up with a way to mask these before spraying clear.

IMG_3650 (resized).JPG

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

So, I have a new irrational hate. Cleaning clear coat out of rollover inserts is terrible. They REALLY need to come up with a way to mask these before spraying clear.

I think vid had a picture where he just put the star in upside-down to block it and it works fine.

I had the same headache on a CPR Centaur playfield though. We were sitting there for hours with an exacto knife slowly slicing clear away....

#38 2 years ago

I managed to get the red layer laid down. It took two coats, due to soak in, even over primer.

Now, I've got to make time for stencils--and figure out what paints I want to use.

image (resized).jpeg

#39 2 years ago

While I'm gathering up the courage to start with the stencils on the cabinet, I got the lamp braid down on the pf.
image (resized).jpeg

I must comment that the lamp braid has not been my favorite part, by a long shot. So much checking the fit with all the components before stapling it down. The new lamp sockets will put on soon.

#40 2 years ago

At least your done with it now.....hopefully

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Bally had star insert that "plugged" the star base.
After the game is clear coated, the assembler would tap out the
plug from the bottom of the playfield. the sad part about this process at the time was
that it tore the clearcoat from the top of the plastic star base insert.

#42 2 years ago

Back box light insert has been painted. Nice fresh white paint.

IMG_3662 (resized).JPG

If we don't get too much snow this weekend, I should have some updated pictures of the cabinet after the stencil work.

#43 2 years ago

Stencil time!

Cabinet stencils applied:

IMG_3663 (resized).JPG

Black applied:

IMG_3664 (resized).JPG

And stencils removed:

IMG_3665 (resized).JPG

For the most part, the stenciling went okay. I've got some touch up to do to make a few lines straighter.

Next up will be gold.

The head won't be until next week, or later, since I need to put another coat of red on it.

1 week later
#44 2 years ago

Gold done. It looks nice.

I've got some touch up to do on the black, as some of the lines aren't straight. But, not too much.

image (resized).jpeg

#45 2 years ago

Over the holidays I started populating the top & bottom side of the pf. The gloss black rails add a nice touch.

image (resized).jpeg

Unfortunately, this game is kinda a PITA to hold properly in the rotisserie, so I'm building it on the floor, with supports underneath. It makes a little more work, but is much more sturdy.

#46 2 years ago

Note: Bally drop target rubber rings are always doubled.
The doubling helps the ball from getting stuck in between
each drop target space. Starting with the third incarnation
of Eight Ball Deluxe the company started to add thin metal
"L" shaped brackets to fill the void.
P.S. The game is looking good! Fantastic job.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I got the second set of parts back from zinc plating.

My concern is the coil stops that are plated??? is the
brass current limiting rings that are at the base of each
coil stop bracket plated over? of so you may have trouble
with each solenoid being energized. Magnetism, magnetism,
magnetism.

Brass 28%
Zinc 27%
Conductivity, you might be O.K. Just concerned.
The plated stuff looks awesome.

#48 2 years ago

The gloss black side rails are looking nice.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Stencil time!
Cabinet stencils applied:

Black applied:

And stencils removed:

For the most part, the stenciling went okay. I've got some touch up to do to make a few lines straighter.
Next up will be gold.
The head won't be until next week, or later, since I need to put another coat of red on it.

What happened to make you have to do touch ups? I'm about to do my stencils and wondered if it's something I can help beforehand. Did some paint creep over and it can be sometimes unavoidable?

Thanks

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: Bally drop target rubber rings are always doubled.
The doubling helps the ball from getting stuck in between
each drop target space. Starting with the third incarnation
of Eight Ball Deluxe the company started to add thin metal
"L" shaped brackets to fill the void.
P.S. The game is looking good! Fantastic job.

Really!? I've don't think I've seen that before. I'll have to give it a shot if any balls get stuck. Thanks for the info.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside