(Topic ID: 292952)

From movie to pinball. 90's movie/pin manufacturing question(s)

By ImNotNorm

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PNBLWZD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kiwkimart (resized).png
Thinker-Auguste-Rodin-Museum-Paris-1904.jpg
#1 2 years ago

I was just thinking about this the other day and was wondering if any knowledgeable pinsiders could answer my question(s).

Some 90's movies had their own theme inspired pins. I'm curious about the turnaround time to manufacture a movie based pin back then.

When a company acquired the license to make a movie based pinball....would they typically acquire it before or after the movie release?

The Shadow, TAF, DM, BSD and Congo pins were released after the movie came out (4-8 months after)

But Data East JP pinball was released on the same month as Jurassic Park the movie.

I guess I'm just curious about build times from the 90's.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Looks like ID4 and Twister were released before the movie came out? That's kinda interesting

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

Looks like ID4 and Twister were released before the movie came out? That's kinda interesting

I'll add those to the list.

I'm basically wondering how much time a manufacturer was given to bang out a movie pin.

And did the studio have creative control over the pinball design? Or did the manufacturer watch the movie (sometimes beforehand) and were told to come up with something themselves?

#4 2 years ago

curious that your curious ....
week off! ,to much spare time

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

curious that your curious ....
week off! ,to much spare time

Thinker-Auguste-Rodin-Museum-Paris-1904.jpgThinker-Auguste-Rodin-Museum-Paris-1904.jpg
#6 2 years ago

I feel like Paramount studios seemed to have the majority of films made into pins. Maybe someone in their cross promotion/marketing department was into pinball? I'd like to know about the process a little more as well.

I would have liked to have seen an Escape From LA pin. We got Demo Man and Congo afterall, but i'm sure it's because the success wasnt as high as earlier in the decade with T2 and Addams.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I feel like Paramount studios seemed to have the majority of films made into pins. Maybe someone in their cross promotion/marketing department was into pinball? I'd like to know about the process a little more as well.
I would have liked to have seen an Escape From LA pin. We got Demo Man and Congo, afterall but i'm sure it's because the success wasnt as high as earlier in the decade with T2 and Addams.

Added T2 and DM to the list....

T2 and Data East JP were released the same month as the movie premiered in theaters.

#8 2 years ago

So out of the 9 linked pins....

5 were released a few months after their respective movies. (TS, Congo, DM, BSD and TAF)

4 pins were released before or @ the same time as their respective movies. (Twister, ID4, T2 and JP)

Now I'm really curious about the licensing + build times. Especially those 4 titles that came out earlier than the rest.

#9 2 years ago
kiwkimart (resized).pngkiwkimart (resized).png
#10 2 years ago

The latest episode of The Silverball Chronicles touches on some of this. It also details some of the development of Johnny Mnemonic.

https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/silverball-chronicles-ep-14-gomez-this-one-has-a-lot-of-arcade-stuff/

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

When a company acquired the license to make a movie based pinball....would they typically acquire it before or after the movie release?

Before. There was a time when Data East Pinball was trying to get really good at synchronizing with the release, or at least the publicity blitz, of a new movie. Last Action Hero dissuaded them somewhat, as they arranged a well-synchronized release, then the movie tanked. More recently, the notion has been that you only want to synchronize with the release of a sequel having a proven audience, not a new title.

>I'm basically wondering how much time a manufacturer was given to bang out a movie pin.

That's entirely the manufacturer's issue to deal with. If they need a year, then they have to lock in the license a year ahead.

>And did the studio have creative control over the pinball design? Or did the manufacturer watch the movie (sometimes beforehand) and were told to come up with something themselves?

The studio has approval rights. For a widely-licensed franchise like The Simpsons, they would have a style guide, design rules, etc. that could be delivered to the licensee as a starting point. The manufacturers get whatever advance clips the studio is willing to provide; it varies greatly. The manufacturer has to do most of the work, because the licensor hardly ever knows enough about what can/should be done to translate the theme into pinball. (Exception: Slash)

I learned most of these answers by attending game-designer seminars at pinball shows.
.................David Marston

#12 2 years ago

They often made the pin at the same time the movie was being made. They’d get a script, maybe some dailies or an early rough cut, and try to have the pin on location by the movie launch

#13 2 years ago

I heard a podcast (no idea which one) interview with Steve Ritchie talking about the T2 build and release. Apparently they had early access to the movie and worked closely with the studio to roll it out alongside the movie. I'm pretty sure he said he got work with Arnie too.

#14 2 years ago

In the Batman Forever thread, someone from Sega's team mentioned they used assets based on an earlier cut of the film that was cut from the release.

#15 2 years ago

Good stuff so far. Thanks!

#16 2 years ago

I don’t know the exact answers to your question, but typically with these licensed entertainment tie ins (video games, pinball, what have you) the production begins long before the movie is released, but sometime after movie production has begun. They usually plan it so the tie in product is released at the same time as the movie. But delays happen on one or the other and often the tie in product comes out late or movie early. I would guess it took a company like Williams 1-2 years to design, manufacture and release a game.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

They often made the pin at the same time the movie was being made. They’d get a script, maybe some dailies or an early rough cut, and try to have the pin on location by the movie launch

And in the case of Star Wars P2K, get held back until the movie was out. Moving Revenge From Mars into the first P2K pin to be released.

Not pinball related. The Tron video game coincided with the movie release. Movie theaters got the games first so they'd both land about the same time.

LTG : )

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And in the case of Star Wars P2K, get held back until the movie was out. Moving Revenge From Mars into the first P2K pin to be released.
Not pinball related. The Tron video game coincided with the movie release. Movie theaters got the games first so they'd both land about the same time.
LTG : )

I can’t remember where I heard it, but weren’t those working on Star Wars prevented from seeing a cut of the film until it was too late to meaningfully have good theme integration?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I was just thinking about this the other day and was wondering if any knowledgeable pinsiders could answer my question(s).
Some 90's movies had their own theme inspired pins. I'm curious about the turnaround time to manufacture a movie based pin back then.
The Shadow, TAF, DM, BSD and Congo pins were released after the movie came out (4-8 months after)
But Data East JP pinball was released on the same month as Jurassic Park the movie.
I guess I'm just curious about build times from the 90's.
Thanks!

Just to go back a few years, Stern Electronics Meteor (1979) came out a few months before the movie.

#20 2 years ago

I know the design team of "The Flintstones" got to fly out to LA during filming and where taken to the Bedrock set. Meet some cast etc...
But, never got to see a final cut of film.
The movie came out in May 1994, and the pin came out in July 94.
The film by July was a bomb and critical failure.
Not sure how pin sales where affected. 4800 units made.
With out a dought the pin is better than the movie.

#21 2 years ago

Let’s not forget Williams IJ TPA, which covered 3 films really well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 72.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-movie-to-pinball-90-s-pins-manufacturing-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.