• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GB-Lanesmod (resized).jpg
GB-STDMmod (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

When I first had the opportunity to play Ghostbusters, I hated it. SDTM every time. Absolutely gorgeous play-field, but what was the point when the game would just destroy me time after time.

I decided to give the game another try today. It was a premium model, not sure what the code was on it. But this time something felt different. The ejects wouldn’t just shoot the ball STDM every time. It felt as someone had dialed the machine in and changed a lot of the settings. I actually had a blast playing the game and progressed through some of the different modes. All in all I probably spent an hour playing the machine, and even my better half had a blast playing it (scoring better than me!) Has anyone else’s opinion changed on this machine after giving it a second chance?

I think this machine has some serious potential once it’s been properly setup. Regardless of how people feel about it, I have to say that it has the most beautiful play-field. It feels like a miniature world under the glass.

#2 6 years ago

Glad you found out the game is very fun when setup and massaged,like other stern game that really benefit from tweeting,avle also comes to mind

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Glad you found out the game is very fun when setup and massaged,like other stern game that really benefit from tweeting,avle also comes to mind

I definitely feel bad for bashing it now. It really makes me wonder how many games I've passed on because of not being properly setup. I wish there was a way that these new Stern games could be perfect out of the box for the end user to really appreciate, but being a complex machine with so many variables, it really needs to be "dialed in" to be appreciated. This experience has made me decide to hold my tongue on reviewing something until I've had a multitude of different machines to try. I wish I had a collector as a friend so that I could see how the game should play after being properly adjusted.

I loved the theme from the get-go, but just had a bad experience with the first machine which made a bad lasting impression on me.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

...It really makes me wonder how many games I've passed on because of not being properly setup...

+1
this is true for lots of games
as owning (and enjoying) an Avengers home, its even more true

#5 6 years ago

Hi John

#6 6 years ago

I experienced this same thing with TWD. Unless you play a game set up right you will pass on it every time. I just swapped my GB playfield and it's not the same as my old one. So I'm still tweaking trying to get it back to what I had before which was great now not so much. Heck when I got my MMR I changed the flipper and post rubbers and it killed the game, so I put the old black ones back on and it came back to life and played night and day. So many things can change a game like just moving your flippers a hair now you can cradle a ball. It's just lots of small things it's crazy.

#7 6 years ago

I have a new Premium that I have unboxed but not set up yet. Has anyone documented what the optimal settings are for this machine? I would like to dial mine in so that I have the best experience right from the get go.

#8 6 years ago

Move lane posts in, set ball saves high, get an airball plastic for ramp, tweak flippers and switches for best performance. And don't give up this game is a real ass kicker. Best of luck

#9 6 years ago

Happens to all of us in Pinball....early judgement, hate, and then with a little time and effort, turns out nothing to hate!

#10 6 years ago

I like setting the left scoop to eject to the right flipper, instead of a droopy drop to the left. That means full power, but might also need a shim placed in the scoop to help the aim.

I also reset the primary flipper return lane guide higher than the way they are when shipped (using a nail set). Conversely, I push the inner guide most of the way down. This reduces bounce-out. As originally configured the ball would almost never travel through the lanes, but now it shoots shockingly fast through them all the time. It will occasionally launch over the guide if it hits the inner rail dead-on, so it helps to have the Mezel mod rail extender created by Cliffy, and for total protection, those plastic extenders to cover the lanes.

The airball plastic for the ramp stand-up targets is a must, though you can also pad those targets from behind to control airballs. With the plastic in place, I have installed a homebrew mod to reduce STDM from the Gozer target area: a spring from a ball point pen precisely centered hanging down, which lets the ball shoot through from the flippers, but usually diverts it a little when coming back down.

I can provide pics/video if anyone is interested.

#11 6 years ago

I loosened my VUK just enough to create a Random throw.

about 70% left flipper, 10% SDTM, 10% right Flipper, 10% dribble to bounce around outlanes.

Keeps me on my toes!

#12 6 years ago

I'm in the same boat. Unboxed my premium and did not like it at first. Now that I've gotten better at it, I absolutely love it. It's hard, but it's the game that provides me the most satisfaction of any that I have.

#13 6 years ago

Took the time to lock mine in and absolutely love it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, those playing a game on route or straight out of the box will not enjoy it. But, take the time to tailor it to your liking and you'll really have something.
Bustin' makes me feel good!!

#14 6 years ago

Agree, great gameplay, artwork, mods, etc. You can dial-in and mod to your satisfaction. Then enjoy it !

#15 6 years ago

+1234, I hated this too and still hate some on location but definitely enjoy the rare ones that are set up well. Magnetic slings are a very cool feature but drive me nuts when playing in tournaments

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Took the time to lock mine in and absolutely love it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, those playing a game on route or straight out of the box will not enjoy it. But, take the time to tailor it to your liking and you'll really have something.
Bustin' makes me feel good!!

Amen. I got my premium NIB and dialed it in and have been blown away for a year, I didn't get all the hate, then I played a couple on location that were absolute shit and I got it. It's a really tough game set up properly, absolutely unfair if not dialed in. Like I've said before though, I've been playing pinball for 40 yrs and a great game on GB is unlike any other. Such a rush.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Amen. I got my premium NIB and dialed it in and have been blown away for a year, I didn't get all the hate, then I played a couple on location that were absolute shit and I got it. It's a really tough game set up properly, absolutely unfair if not dialed in. Like I've said before though, I've been playing pinball for 40 yrs and a great game on GB is unlike any other. Such a rush.

All the hate comes from the Stern haters club here on Pinside, pay no attention to them. GB is a great game and a masterpiece IMO. Are there things I'd change about it? Yep sure is but it's still full of greatness overall!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from arkuz:

I like setting the left scoop to eject to the right flipper, instead of a droopy drop to the left. That means full power, but might also need a shim placed in the scoop to help the aim.
I also reset the primary flipper return lane guide higher than the way they are when shipped (using a nail set). Conversely, I push the inner guide most of the way down. This reduces bounce-out. As originally configured the ball would almost never travel through the lanes, but now it shoots shockingly fast through them all the time. It will occasionally launch over the guide if it hits the inner rail dead-on, so it helps to have the Mezel mod rail extender created by Cliffy, and for total protection, those plastic extenders to cover the lanes.
The airball plastic for the ramp stand-up targets is a must, though you can also pad those targets from behind to control airballs. With the plastic in place, I have installed a homebrew mod to reduce STDM from the Gozer target area: a spring from a ball point pen precisely centered hanging down, which lets the ball shoot through from the flippers, but usually diverts it a little when coming back down.
I can provide pics/video if anyone is interested.

I would diffantly be interested in seeing how you did that.

#19 6 years ago

Still love our GB!

#20 6 years ago

It's just a matter of taking the time to set it up right. Great game.

#21 6 years ago

Totally - the setup will make all the difference on GB...
- Get a airball protector for slimer area
- Switch to Carrot flippers, or add the drop down center post
- Add better lane guides (stock ones are too short)
- shorten the hex post on the right ramp, otherwise it rejects too many balls
- tighten the Scoleri Brother target springs (attach 30% shorter)

All the above can be done for approximately $65 - not very expensive to COMPLETELY TURN AROUND THE GAME!!!

#22 6 years ago

GB, more than any other game I can think of, requires a lot of tweaks out of the box to make it play like it should. Once dialed in, however, I think it's one of the most fun and immersive games out there. Yes, it's very hard, but that's part of the appeal. Not every game should be easy.

Most of the important tweaks have been mentioned already. One that hasn't is removing the mylar in the right orbit if your game has it. It makes a huge difference and makes the right orbit shot smooth as butter.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

shorten the hex post on the right ramp, otherwise it rejects too many balls

I have heard this before,so,what do you shorten on the other end?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Just buy a shorter hex post and swap it. The ramp will be less steep, and rejects far fewer balls (Premium/LE).

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Nothing. It just lowers the ramp ever-so-slightly. It's an absolute MUST, in my opinion. It makes the game play so much better.

#26 6 years ago

HMMM,well ,ok,I'll try it! Thanks!!

#27 6 years ago

Well after giving my advice and still being sober so far I attacked mine again. I got a playfield swap from Stern and that was easy. It's the playfield down playfield up the this and that. Oh pop bumper adjustment almost took me, but I feel I got it. Time for some test play. This really is one of the most packed games.

#28 6 years ago

Ok, attaching a couple pics and links to short vids. Totally agree about the hex post mod for the right ramp, that indeed helps for better flow. I also put stronger springs on the ball launch to curb overshooting when auto launching.

STDM mod vid:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6pktrjjmkw9wt0/GB-STDMmod.mov?dl=0

Lanes mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ehuiz8v3csj0q/GB-Lanesmod.mov?dl=0

GB-STDMmod (resized).jpgGB-STDMmod (resized).jpg

GB-Lanesmod (resized).jpgGB-Lanesmod (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

- Get a airball protector for slimer area
- Switch to Carrot flippers, or add the drop down center post
- Add better lane guides (stock ones are too short)
- shorten the hex post on the right ramp, otherwise it rejects too many balls
- tighten the Scoleri Brother target springs (attach 30% shorter)

one is missing : remove the small "one way" gate from the right inlane, at the bumpers exit
this is causing too easy "balls stop" falling slowly on the right flipper... its more fun & sexy to have some balls falling from there with some (high) speed

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from arkuz:

Ok, attaching a couple pics and links to short vids. Totally agree about the hex post mod for the right ramp, that indeed helps for better flow. I also put stronger springs on the ball launch to curb overshooting when auto launching.
STDM mod vid:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6pktrjjmkw9wt0/GB-STDMmod.mov?dl=0
Lanes mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0ehuiz8v3csj0q/GB-Lanesmod.mov?dl=0

Clever!! I like the spring redirecting the ball out of the pops. That is really the main STDM drain for me now since I added the carrot flipper bats and got rid of the droopy angle.

#31 6 years ago

As others have said, GB is bad ass if you put in a little work to tweak and set things up. Sucks that you have to do it, but once you do, the game is just awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-hate-to-love%e2%80%a6ghostbusters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.