image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
59027280.jpg
Capture.png
464201.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#223 8 years ago

Man, if it was up to me, every sound bite I would have would be in a separate file in a sound directory. If someone wanted something different, the user could just swap it out. I believe this idea has been brought up before.

This would solve most of the issues.

I had a similar a long time ago with my IJ. Someone on these boards was able to take out the "I HATE YOU AND I HATE THE WATER" quote for me. I had little kids at the time and my wife was complaining about it. Someone literally made a new version of the ROM for me.

Now fast forward to today's pin w/PC's and SSD drives. It would be so simple to allow someone to just override sound bites.

Now the ethical side of me says this probably is a problem. On the other hand, some of these IP owners are over the top with their control of these age old assets.

Oh, IMO without the original licensed songs, TBL really will be taking step backwards. Sad.

My 2 cents....

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

whats the problem with that clip?

In some circles, "Hate" is viewed fairly strongly. I had four year old kids at the time. I was indifferent at the time, but my wife felt differently. Let's just say by bleeping out that line, I was able to further my pinball hobby

One has to pick his battles in life !

#378 8 years ago

I still think an easy solution is to have an "accessible" mp3 file storage solution that can be overwritten. Seems like an easy fix. One could then swap out given MP3's with any sound bite to what they want.

I could only imagine this group and the sound bites that would be put in place. To me this would be a blast to have as an option. Maybe even put ones in there that are not from the movie? Custom ones and all.

I am an IT guy, so for me I could visualize how this could be coded. Maybe I am missing something though.

I also feel bad for the DP guys. I think licensing has gotten out of control. Thus the work arounds that start getting created when the Greed engine kicks into high gear.

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Generally content owners want their licensees to be able to protect their content. The whole "just leave the door wide open..." is a easy technical choice, but not so easy from a licensing and support angle.
Part of the arrangement with the content owner is the owners generally want approval over how their material is presented and displayed... to make things 'open' would impede their ability to control that and can lead to the content being presented in ways they don't want. So typically they want such systems locked down.. not open.

To me that sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

So when the Blackhawks play a Chelsea Dagger at the UC, they bought the rights correct? I doubt Fratellis dictates how that MP3 of the song is stored and used. My guess is it is some open system that some tech can play at will. Then add and take away songs at will. Seems to me there would be a loop hole or two here. Maybe I am mixing apples and oranges though.

And if the machine had all custom audio clips, the content owner wouldn't even be in the loop, right?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
15,000 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-expo-no-licensed-songs?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.