image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
59027280.jpg
Capture.png
464201.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 8 years ago

Maybe just maybe people will learn to stop taking people's promises with blind faith

Now even roger sharpe can be put in with Gary, Jody, and others with a mission to say things without giving you everything.

Hopefully people's spin detecters get upgraded

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from ddebuss:

You'd think they pull buy a cd version of the soundtrack and perminently mount it in the game. I would think no additional license would be required.

Buying a copy of a something doesn't give you the right to reproduce it and distribute it for non-personal use.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Cenobyte:

I think they were busy:
- completing BOP2.0 software,
- getting everything from the prototype to production stage,
- working with the external factory to finetune all playfield stuff so it can be manufactured by them,
- finding partners for small things like toy's & stuff,
- twisting by the pool with Universal about their very clear license,
- creating a new basic framework from the ground up (software & hardware) to build a line of pinball machines on (the proto's were built with more "off the shelf" stuff like Proc etc. This was always pointed out by DP since they told me this at the DPO2014)
People tend to think these guys were on extended vacation the last year, but I know they weren't

Except someone else does the software... This isn't one guy, and the guy doing the software isn't the one doing licensing, production, etc. I think the BOP2.0 thing was much further behind then they lead on to for a long time.

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They HAVE licensed the songs. That has not changed

Still deceptive.

The company was under all kinds of scrutiny after Phil-Gate... they bring on an industry vet... then repeatedly say 'its all good, nothing is fucked' - and then go on to say all their stuff is approved. Not "we will be making changes to make it work with our project", not "we will be changing the soundtrack", not anything but trying to make everyone believe everything is fine and calm down.

They were dishonest with what they were projecting by glossing over the realities.

This whole thing about playing through with the movie also completely ignores all the lines they fed us about licensing music in the Netherlands vs what we were accustomed to with the US. Even if that wasn't total BS, they would have figured this out with Roger Sharpe a long time ago. Yet... nothing is fucked here!

Transparency is not their strong suit. The state of the game is very disappointing vs what they've been telling everyone.

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I actually opened and oversee a manufacturing plant in the Netherlands (Holland), the country where Dutch pinball is. I've always been amazed at how closely the citizens of the NL follow the rules. So what they are saying here very much contradicts what I have witnessed.
Now my sample size is very small, we've been open just five years. I do not live there, but I manage the folks that do, so maybe I'm missing something here. But trust me, there are laws and if you don't follow them you can get very heavily fined. It's anything but the old West over there...

I think it's more they don't respect rules they don't agree with (aka us rules). They are very obedient in general, any very orderly... But they strongly believe in the greater good, etc. they are much more direct and can be blunt compared to US customs.

Basically they wouldn't be shy of calling something stupid . And resist falling in line with things that don't make sense to their ideals.

#296 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What if they don't and the only music on the pin is by Golden Earring?
What if the reason for the hardware switch was so they could employ 128 bit encryption?
Stern's encryption gets broken because 1000s of people own them. Will there be enough hackers interested when there are only 200 owners world wide?

In that vein... Having more Dutch people supporting the game and owning it is a good thing they aren't big fans of drm/cp.

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You have to realize the approval process is arduous and they can't show what hasn't been approved. For all we know the modes are done but they can't show them yet

Given the bad news.. don't you think they would have fought back the 'lack of progress' news with disclosing that? You're really starting to sound like the guy who denies the earth is round.

Quoted from Rarehero:

In any case - Look at BOP 2.0. When I received mine earlier in the year - it only had the small wheel modes. Maybe a month later they added the video mode....a few months later we got the Big Wheel modes. Just because the modes aren't there doesn't mean they haven't been worked on in some capacity to be "plugged in" later.

In short.. the product wasn't done when it was supposed to be. Rather than just being approvals.. the reality is probably much more like this, than your theory. Now they'll have to go and find all this music to use, integrate it, and then get approvals again..

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

So you aren't free to listen to music? That sounds insane. But that organization isn't the reason why DP can't sell us a pin with licensed music.

It's the same thing here. To play the tv or radio in a shop, etc you need to pay royalties. Like the story here, most don't know about it or just ignore it until you get caught. Your local bar doesn't just pay for directTV like you do at home....

#380 8 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I am an IT guy, so for me I could visualize how this could be coded. Maybe I am missing something though

Generally content owners want their licensees to be able to protect their content. The whole "just leave the door wide open..." is a easy technical choice, but not so easy from a licensing and support angle.

Part of the arrangement with the content owner is the owners generally want approval over how their material is presented and displayed... to make things 'open' would impede their ability to control that and can lead to the content being presented in ways they don't want. So typically they want such systems locked down.. not open.

#388 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

So, how do pinball manufacturers get away with having original songs on pins that are played in public places? Obviously, they secured the rights to use the songs, but does that necessarily imply that they can be played repeatedly in a public venue? A radio station pays a usage fee, but that does not cover the restaurant that then plays the radio station. Someone who plays the same station at home is not affected. Also, are the laws different in Holland? U.S. pinball manufacturers don't seem to have this problem. Just curious how it works in this case.

You are crossing two different topics and mashing them together.

The listener of a radio station does not have a public performance license or license to reproduce the music. That's why a store/biz needs to have an arrangement to display/output to the public.

The pinball company DOES have a license to distribute, edit, and play the music. If the pin is in public or not has nothing to do with any of this.. the pinball company already has a license to play the music within the constraints. A person with a radio does not.

The reason why things might be different for DP is simply because of what kind of licensing arrangement they set out to strike from the beginning.

You don't typically go through the bulk royalty systems to get licensing for creative uses of music. Those entities are typically more for the cookie cutter deals for broadcast or performance royalties. For instance, a TV network playing an artist's song in their credits, a band playing cover music, or a DJ playing tracks. Not really the same as someone negotiating an agreement to rework or repurpose someone's work. That's where people like Roger Sharpe come into play to try to negotiate deals. Which is where all this gets murky how this could not be disclosed earlier given their engagement with Sharpe some time ago.

#389 8 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

To me that sounds like the tail wagging the dog.
So when the Blackhawks play a Chelsea Dagger at the UC, they bought the rights correct? I doubt Fratellis dictates how that MP3 of the song is stored and used. My guess is it is some open system that some tech can play at will. Then add and take away songs at will. Seems to me there would be a loop hole or two here. Maybe I am mixing apples and oranges though.

You are. The Blackhawks would be paying royalities to play the music.. but they would be using it within constraints defined by their arrangement. It's not like the listeners in the stadium then have the power to rearrange and repurpose the music on the fly. The music is being used and observed as it was intended and licensed.

When you start distributing the content... they still want to ensure the content is being used as it was licensed to be used. How far they go of course will vary based on the content and people involved.

#491 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Point being, this isn't the ONLY way to get a product- it's just the easiest/laziest/least-risky way for these companies.

its also a way for people to get a shot.. where conventional thinking/wisdom may not give them that opportunity. It is the 'self publishing' angle to startups.. where the www gave individuals exposure to the world, mp3 and social media gave music a direct to consumer path, etc.

Your logic basically says "if the establishment won't back you.. your idea deserves to die... unless you are personally wealthily". That's a pretty depressing mindset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 210.00
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,000 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/from-expo-no-licensed-songs?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.