Topic Stats

• 533 posts
  • 143 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TBL_5.jpg
Muzak.jpg
lebowski-1.jpg
xtube_pw.jpg
image.png
image_4.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
59027280.jpg
Capture.png
464201.png

There are 533 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

So many ?
I thought the display stuff was the same as last year?If so how come not approved?If it wasn't approved why wasn't it addressed when it was announced Sharpe was gonna "fix" DPs licensing issues?
During Sharpes intervention wasn't the song issue discussed?Is Sharpe only handling back glass,play field and cab?
From what I understand ,video clips still need to be approved.Also not addressed during Sharpes intervention?Wasnt most if not all video clips available?
If music and clips were not approved when Roger Sharpe was brought in when will they be and will Roger Sharpe have to do it or does the DP crew handle it from here?
If new video clips are being introduced wouldn't this just delay the release based on approval?

Take a breath Jack!

#452 3 years ago

Hahahahahaha!!!

#453 3 years ago

Couldn't resist. No offence to DP, Stern or any of the other great companies making pinball machines. Just a bit of fun:

Hitler reacts to Big Lebowski licensing woes

#454 3 years ago

The mechanical issues aren't ironed out yet?

DP doesn't have control over their sourced parts. Such issues may include unforeseen variances in fit or finish. Often times a supplier will over-promise and under-deliver, which leaves you at their mercy (and schedule).
If you exclude software, I truly believe they're rounding 3rd base and will be sliding home soon*.

*Q1 '16

#455 3 years ago

The last 30 seconds had me on the floor!! Good job!

#456 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

The last 20 seconds are pure gold. Better than Good job!

#457 3 years ago

Clog jockeys

#458 3 years ago

Stupid tablet didn't post the smiley.

#459 3 years ago

i wonder how many of those complaining the most actually have a machine on order?

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

i wonder how many of those complaining the most actually have a machine on order?

You bring up a great point! I think that's why Dutch pinball waited until expo to bring everyone up to speed since only owners were present during their seminar.

#461 3 years ago

I've been fairly critical lately, and I'm in on the machine. I was frustrated by DP's lack of response to some of my concerns. They finally responded yesterday, and I'm mostly satisfied with what Barry had to say. I'll wait patiently for DPO to see what they've got. That is where DP needs to show me their hole cards. It sounds like they are set up pretty well to deliver good news at that show. If they don't I might have to toss the ringer and takes the money. I'm rooting for them.

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This seems like software that is 30 to 40 percent finished.

So your saying it's like a Stern title at release?

#463 3 years ago

The mechanical issues aren't ironed out yet?

They should be (and they probably are in a lab-setting), so for making 100% sure ... they are putting these 5 machines on the floor to take a weekend-long beating by pinballfans. This not only tests the machines, but also their manufacturing-process.

You're sure your name is not JackOfTrolls ?

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Bye bye CCR,
here is what the game sounded like at Expo.
» YouTube video

Sounds better than the CCR tune as "pinball playing" music IMO. Fortunate Son would be an awesome pinball tune. Lookin out my Backdoor? Not so much.

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

No shit! I've watched movie "comedies" with fewer laughs than this packed in in two minutes. Bravo!

#466 3 years ago

We all have our music preferences, and you are welcome to yours.

During the DP TBL private party at Expo 2014, customers were immersed in CCR's "Lookin' Out My Back Door", as the White Russians flowed freely.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Sounds better than the CCR tune as "pinball playing" music IMO. Fortunate Son would be an awesome pinball tune. Lookin out my Backdoor? Not so much.

#467 3 years ago

Shockingly, some folks actually buy pinball machines AFTER they're designed, done, and (gasp) shipping.

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Shockingly, some folks actually buy pinball machines AFTER they're designed, done, and (gasp) shipping.

That's fine, but realize though that without the preorder model, games like this (adult themed, old license, high fit and finish / innovative, startup, long run etc..) probably wouldn't get made. Spooky is bucking the trend but also doing limited runs to create demand but aren't innovating heavily either, though we will see if Rob Zombie is still DMD, etc..

We'll have to see if DP even wants to do a 2nd game after all the trouble they are going through now; preorder or not.

#469 3 years ago

Just got back from Illinois
Lock the front door, oh boy...

#470 3 years ago

It seems like all that has to be said has been said on this topic. I'd like to summarize to see if I understand the possible outcomes:

1. DP can't use original music
2. DP will find or fabricate alternatives
3. Music may be in a format that can be easily replaced(strong hope for this one!)
4. If #3 is a true statement then this is an annoyance but not a disaster
5. If #3 is not true, the verdict is pending the quality of the replacements and, arguably, not optimum
6. Discussions re: staying in/out are personal decisions
7. Significant desire for Achievers (at the least) to be able to have the prototype apron.
8. It is desirable that DP provide more transparency re: MFG dates and blockages as feasible
9. Regarding #8 - I don't care as much about delays as wanting assurance that my investment is safe

What, that is essential, have I missed?

#471 3 years ago

I for one think this is a very good sum up of key issues at this moment

Expecting now that 5 pcs TBL will shed their light at DPO and ease your minds

And, for what it's worth to you, I truely believe your investment is safe. Being Dutch and meeting Jaap and Barry in person I am closer to the fire and still sleep comfortable knowing my money is safe

Building pinball is just a hard job with unexpected bumps in the road. But in holland we have good suspension

#472 3 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing some more progress at the 2016 Expo

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

That is where DP needs to show me their hole cards.

What are they?

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

DP needs to show me their hole

DP needs to show us all their hole cards.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm looking forward to seeing some more progress at the 2016 Expo

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress (pre-production games) at next month's DPO Expo!

I expect to have my TBL before the 2016 Expo.

#476 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

That is where DP needs to show me their hole cards.

Quoted from Tux:

DP needs to show us all their hole cards.

The Royal me.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Oh I get that, but they way some are up in arms you would think they have 3 on preorder. I say finish the game and let the modding begin!

#478 3 years ago

Accidental post

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

That's fine, but realize though that without the preorder model, games like this wouldn't get made.

I'm frustrated by this (common) excuse for the recent preorder fiascos.

For hundreds of years companies have brought new and innovative products to market without "preorder money" and long before "crowdsourcing" was a word.

They did it the old-fashioned way:
They made a business plan
They risked their OWN capital (or borrowed it), and,
They busted their asses to make a product people would THEN want to buy.

Now we have "lazy entrepreneurs" that have found a way to look like heros, while all the time risking YOUR money, not their's.

//soapbox

Point being, this isn't the ONLY way to get a product- it's just the easiest/laziest/least-risky way for these companies.

#480 3 years ago

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm frustrated by this (common) excuse for the recent preorder fiascos.
For hundreds of years companies have brought new and innovative products to market without "preorder money" and long before "crowdsourcing" was a word.
They did it the old-fashioned way:
They made a business plan
They risked their OWN capital (or borrowed it), and,
They busted their asses to make a product people would THEN want to buy.
Now we have "lazy entrepreneurs" that have found a way to look like heros, while all the time risking YOUR money, not there's.
//soapbox
Point being, this isn't the ONLY way to get a product- it's just the easiest/laziest/least-risky way for these companies.

When will Pinside finally give you the chance to give more than one thumbs up? Spot on comment.

#482 3 years ago

Such a shame. Music is a huge part of the movie, the atmosphere and .....well.....this pin.....

No original songs from the movie.....no Chris

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Now we have "lazy entrepreneurs" that have found a way to look like heros, while all the time risking YOUR money, not their's. Point being, this isn't the ONLY way to get a product- it's just the easiest/laziest/least-risky way for these companies.

Lazy entrepreneurs = smart business people

The golden rule in Hollywood? DON'T SPEND YOUR OWN MONEY.

Obviously, the business landscape has changed. There's more global competition than ever before and banks aren't passing out business loans.
Companies like Pebble or Tile are two great examples of innovative products/companies that evolved from crowdfunding. It can lead to innovation and job creation, which creates tax revenue, competition, and a better value (and more choices) for consumers.

WIZARD MODE (the documentary on pinballer Robert Gagno) will reach the masses thanks to crowdfunding.

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Lazy entrepreneurs = smart business people

That may actually be one of the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. People who are too lazy to start-up a business properly are too lazy to do all the other things it takes to succeed. Money is the least important factor in making a start-up business successful (ask JPOP).

P.S. - I've started up several businesses, every one by risking my own money and sacrificing my time with my family.

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

People who are too lazy to start-up a business properly are too lazy to do all the other things it takes to succeed.

Thanks to crowdfunding, 27 year-old Pebble founder Eric Migicovsky has sold over 1 million smartwatches, despite competition from Apple, Samsung, and others. Pebble Time brought in $20M on Kickstarter, after bringing in more than $10M on his first product. What a lazy loser!

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Thanks to crowdfunding, 27 year-old Pebble founder Eric Migicovsky has sold over 1 million smartwatches, despite competition from Apple, Samsung, and others. Pebble Time brought in $20M on Kickstarter, after bringing in more than $10M on his first product. What a lazy loser!

Really the Pebble Time a smart watch? That is laughable.

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Thanks to crowdfunding,

Come on.... Ok YES, obviously there are success stories.... But more frequently, failures. SOMEONE wins the lottery each time, but that doesn't mean it's a good investment- quite the contrary.

To generalize,
Crowdfunding tends to result in modest success or spectacular failure.

But yes, several successes aside, I still stand behind this as being lazy. However, it takes "two to tango" and lazy crowdfunders wouldn't be able to continue without willing partners (investor/gamblers).

#488 3 years ago

Think you have to just accept that if you participate in kickstarters (and, to some extent pre order pinball) there's risks. If you don't like risks, don't do it. I would hope anyone throwing $8500k for a toy would only be using disposable income.. Not that it wouldn't sting if failed, just nothing life changing or you'd still be thinking about 10 years later (a friend of mine calls things that still affect your life negatively a decade or more later 'life mistakes', those are the ones you try to avoid, the rest is noise)

But on the other hand, the majority of stuff on kickstarter prob wouldn't exist at all other wise. Maybe a lot shouldnt. So it's not a matter of exist on different model, instead would be an idea that never got off ground as a person with the idea doesnt necessarily match up with having the means to do it, or get a loan, etc. It's an innovation marketplace.. But yes, people really at micro investors that at best get the product vs investment. But, the positive is they aren't beholden to a bank to make a profit.. They still can kill themselves trying to get the product out at a loss , which I've witnessed with kickstarter as well, so not all laziness.. Comes down to the individuals.

Trying to get back on topic: TBL will hopefully be a success both for preorderers and cash and carry folks, and the guy who bought the proto at expo for obscene cash

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

the guy who bought the proto at expo for obscene cash

What did he end up paying?

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What did he end up paying?

Heard everything from 14 to 24k, so dunno but alot

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

its also a way for people to get a shot.. where conventional thinking/wisdom may not give them that opportunity. It is the 'self publishing' angle to startups.. where the www gave individuals exposure to the world, mp3 and social media gave music a direct to consumer path, etc.

Your logic basically says "if the establishment won't back you.. your idea deserves to die... unless you are personally wealthily". That's a pretty depressing mindset.

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Really the Pebble Time a smart watch? That is laughable.

Yes. It's classified as a "smartwatch" in tech and retail. Google it. They've sold over a million of them, so obviously they're doing something right. The founder is still in his 20s. Compare his accomplishments and bank account to yours and you'll recognize what's "laughable."

#493 3 years ago

Back on topic for a minute, the audio is posted on pinball news from the talks now.
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2015/index.html

5pm after all the Stern photos

#494 3 years ago

People and companies use OPM all the time. Banks, friends, families, VC, PE, Angels, Kickstarters, and yes, preorders. Especially small businesses and start ups. Wherever you can get it. It is smart. Sometimes for both parties!

Even on Kickstarter, you have opportunity to perform a little due diligence and judge your risk tolerance. Are you in for an attaboy and a sticker? Or your own underwater drone?

Nothing wrong with it at all!

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Yes. It's classified as a "smartwatch" in tech and retail. Google it. They've sold over a million of them, so obviously they're doing something right. The founder is still in his 20s. Compare his accomplishments and bank account to yours and you'll recognize what's "laughable."

I know what it is classified as. Also, I don't care what Eric's accomplishments are and what his bank account looks like or the age that he was able to accomplish this by. I was just commenting on the piece of tech. I don't judge and lookup to people based on there financial accomplishments and the size of their bank accounts. There is more to life than money and fame, and perhaps one day you will figure that out.

Now lets go back to your comment. You were using the Pebble kickstarter to justify these pinball startups and tear down the Lazy Loser comment. The thing is Eric already had the company up and going and had produced watches, for Blackberry, before he changed the companies name to Pebble. Actually the first funds for the Pebble Watch came from Venture Capital then the rest of the funds were acquired using crowd funding. So trying to use the Pebble kickstarter in relation to most of these boutique pinball startups isn't' even close. This would be more like Stern, doing a kickstarter to fund a new pin. Eric had the experience needed to successfully create a product he was very familiar with from his previous projects with his company which then changed it's name to Pebble.

So try again.

#496 3 years ago

One of my really good friends works at Pebble, so I know the background story very well. In fact, she just told me via text to tell you "that person doesn't know what the %$*! they're talking about." <-- (she said it, not me)

You are referring to INPULSE, which was a prototype. It only worked with Blackberry and was NOT backed by a VC. In fact, VCs turned him down which is why he went to Kickstarter in 2012. If he had been backed by a VC, he would've asked for more money to fund Pebble.

Those initial units weren't funded with VC money. It was all Kickstarter.
If you want, I can PM you her email address for confirmation.

Now how about an apology?

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Now how about an apology?

Ahh, how about you first? You where the one throwing out the personal attacks.

Quoted from highdef:

Compare his accomplishments and bank account to yours and you'll recognize what's "laughable."

#498 3 years ago

This is what I was referring to.

"After raising venture capital for the product under their former name Allerta (which had already developed and sold the inPulse smartwatch for BlackBerry devices), the company failed to attract traditional investors under their new Pebble brand name,[20] so the company requested crowd funding in April 2012."

#499 3 years ago

Also it is funny that a Prototype has it's own website.

http://www.inpulsewatch.com/inpulsewatchspecs.asp

#500 3 years ago

No, I agree with you -- money is evil. No personal attack intended whatsoever, but I think he does deserve a little more credit/respect for shipping more than 1 million units and taking on Apple, Google, Samsung, LG, and Sony.
Do I own a Pebble? NO. It's not for me, but I still respect the product, company, and their accomplishments.

Next beer/lemonade is on me. Cool?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Mateo, CA
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 3.70
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 533 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside