(Topic ID: 271824)

Frog Tape- is it all it's cracked up to be?

By o-din

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Shredso
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191015_151841 (resized).jpg
20191027_202648 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_195931039 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200512_020041530 (resized).jpg
C0642BE0-87E1-4292-9EF5-C21178A3BB16 (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpeg
24EF5DE3-4B21-4E5A-9D19-4E6CDA226880 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

How would you rate it? I've always used the blue tape.

#2 3 years ago

I haven't had to paint a Frog yet, so no idea if tape will stick or not.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Cleaner paint lines, easier to peel off, and less likely for it to rip off paint when it comes up.

I haven't used blue tape in years.

#4 3 years ago

I’ve never used it but I believe it’s trying to duplicate the 3m “green” tape which is pretty good .

#5 3 years ago

I would pay up for it. 3 m blue tape good too

#6 3 years ago

Worth it. Huge difference for the small price.

#7 3 years ago

I've done a lot of painting recently and the most common negative I read about frog tape was it's lack of adherence so it might depend on your situation. Reviews really seem to be split between the two and it seems to be a matter of personal preference. I believe the difference in price between frog tape and 3M with edge lock is under a dollar. The original blue tape seems to bleed a lot which is why use the one with edge lock. Don't think you can go wrong with either and I might try frog tape just for comparison this weekend.

#9 3 years ago

Don’t you mean, “Is it all it’s CROAKED up to be?”

#10 3 years ago

It comes with a custom protective case..

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Cleaner paint lines, easier to peel off, and less likely for it to rip off paint when it comes up.
I haven't used blue tape in years.

Now there's a man up to the challenge.

#12 3 years ago

I use frog tape for places like baseboards that meet wooden floor. It makes a cleaner line than blue tape.

If you want a clean line between a baseboard and the wall, here’s a trick. Let’s say the wall is blue and the baseboards are white. Paint the wall blue, let it dry completely. Now mask the wall with blue tape, and paint a very thin almost dry layer of BLUE paint covering the seam. This lets the wall color leak wherever it wants (onto the wall) and seals the seam. After this dries, paint the baseboard white. When you pull the tape you have a nice sharp line!

Extra step but I did my whole house this way.

#13 3 years ago

I've used very little painters tape in the last 10 years, and I'm happy to be nearly done with it. Sure there are situations where it is necessary, but a slow steady hand will cut most edges. Tape takes forever to put on, sometimes messy when pulled off. In my experience, the touch-up due to a slip here or there while cutting is far less than the cost and effort of taping. Plus, I've never had a perfect tape edge.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I've used very little painters tape in the last 10 years, and I'm happy to be nearly done with it

Word.

Once you’ve mastered a Sash brush, you rarely need tape. And thank goodness, cause it’s a pain in the ass.

rd

24EF5DE3-4B21-4E5A-9D19-4E6CDA226880 (resized).jpeg24EF5DE3-4B21-4E5A-9D19-4E6CDA226880 (resized).jpeg
#15 3 years ago

Sure you can.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
#16 3 years ago

Frog tape is great. I paint several home interiors every year and it blows away the blue 3M tape. I like the lower adhesion yellow tape on freshly painted baseboards. Once you get the application down and realize if you pull it off the opposite direction it was applied, it is faster than free hand. On window & door trim, I never tape. A Sur-line edger which is super fast.

4 weeks later
#17 3 years ago

Saw this in the big hardware chain store today ...

Frog tape is now in NZ!

Haven’t tried it yet .. still got a lot of tape in my stash.

I did buy some new 1” and 1.5” sash brushes though.

rd

C0642BE0-87E1-4292-9EF5-C21178A3BB16 (resized).jpegC0642BE0-87E1-4292-9EF5-C21178A3BB16 (resized).jpeg
#18 3 years ago

Its all I've used for years....good stuff.....

#19 3 years ago

Frog tape has worked as advertised the few times I have used it and I found it better all around then the typical blue tape.

#20 3 years ago

Anyone who says the don't use painters tape because it bleeds and they can get better lines freehand probably hasn't used frog tape. When I used blue tape, I would still try to get as little paint as possible on the tape for that very reason. With frog tape, I could care less and it's much more forgiving about leaving it on through multiple coats. Perfect lines every time. The green version.

Here's a couple cornhole boards I painted with 3 coats, only applying the tape before the first coat and removing after the last.

IMG_20200511_195931039 (resized).jpgIMG_20200511_195931039 (resized).jpgIMG_20200512_020041530 (resized).jpgIMG_20200512_020041530 (resized).jpg
#21 3 years ago

I think the people talking about freehanding being easier are talking about house painting. I do quite a bit and almost never use tape.

If I were painting those cornhole boards I would use tape too. Frog tape is good but the blue with edge seal is just as good.

#22 3 years ago

I used frog on these, not a bleed thru anywhere. 2 or 3 coats, depending on color

20191015_151841 (resized).jpg20191015_151841 (resized).jpg20191027_202648 (resized).jpg20191027_202648 (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I think the people talking about freehanding being easier are talking about house painting. I do quite a bit and almost never use tape.
If I were painting those cornhole boards I would use tape too. Frog tape is good but the blue with edge seal is just as good.

This exactly. I don't know how many times I've seen homeowners tape every window, every piece of trim and baseboard. Hours of unnecessary prep. Straight lines on a single flat piece, absolutely tape. I don't think anyone was saying to never use it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frog-tape-is-it-all-it-s-cracked-up-to-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.